PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters and the 17 foot rule

IronFist
06-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Is that what it was called? The 17 foot rule?

Mythbusters showed this week that at 20 feet, a guy with a holstered gun can shoot a man with a knife before he gets stabbed, but at 16 feet, he cannot. I think they said 18 feet was their lethal range.

An interested episode! They also did gun vs throwing knife (underhand throw since you don't have time to do an overhand throw).

mooyingmantis
06-12-2012, 02:10 AM
It is known as the Tuellner test (named after the officer that devised the test) and the distance was 21 feet.

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Is that what it was called? The 17 foot rule?

Mythbusters showed this week that at 20 feet, a guy with a holstered gun can shoot a man with a knife before he gets stabbed, but at 16 feet, he cannot. I think they said 18 feet was their lethal range.

An interested episode! They also did gun vs throwing knife (underhand throw since you don't have time to do an overhand throw).

Yep, after you close to a certain distance, knife "beats" gun.
IF the gun person doesn't KNOW hoe to deal with an "in close attack" that is.
And there are a few methods of course.
The other issue is the element of surprise.
In most test the gun guy KNOWS the other guys is gonna charge and that is NOT the case in the "real world".
The Dog brothers in their DVD "Die less often: Gun interface" show video clips of police officers getting "bull rushed" by guys with knives and even bare hands and even with their guns on their holsters, they don't get the gun out in time and those that do, don't hit their target.

Jimbo
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
I've heard that even with their duns drawn and ready, if/when a knife-wielding attacker rushes them and they must fire, officers are taught to move off-line. Because even if hit, a determined attacker can often still close in.

I remember an incident I heard of years ago, where a citizen with a CCW permit was approached by a knife-wielding man. He drew his pistol and had it aimed at the guy. The guy began running at him erratically, darting side-to-side as he came at him. Apparently, the citizen missed all of his shots, and the man got in, stabbed him, robbed him, and left him for dead (he survived). This was an unusual incident, because the perp had approached him from quite a distance (more than 20 feet), with his knife already out. Yet due to nerves and the quick, aggressive, erratic attack, he never hit the perp. Now imagine if it were a surprise attack from up close, as most knife attacks are.

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2012, 07:56 AM
I've heard that even with their duns drawn and ready, if/when a knife-wielding attacker rushes them and they must fire, officers are taught to move off-line. Because even if hit, a determined attacker can often still close in.

I remember an incident I heard of years ago, where a citizen with a CCW permit was approached by a knife-wielding man. He drew his pistol and had it aimed at the guy. The guy began running at him erratically, darting side-to-side as he came at him. Apparently, the citizen missed all of his shots, and the man got in, stabbed him, robbed him, and left him for dead (he survived). This was an unusual incident, because the perp had approached him from quite a distance (more than 20 feet), with his knife already out. Yet due to nerves and the quick, aggressive, erratic attack, he never hit the perp. Now imagine if it were a surprise attack from up close, as most knife attacks are.

Very few people train to hit a moving target, even less train to hit a moving target with a knife ( under stress) and even less train to hit a moving target trying to kill them.

Kind of reminds you how most people train their MA too, eh?

Scott R. Brown
06-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Few people train to run from an attacker too, yet the law expects most people to try, except for stand your ground states of course.

In my state you are expected to drive your assailant home after he kills you! :rolleyes:

IronFist
06-12-2012, 08:39 AM
It is known as the Tuellner test (named after the officer that devised the test) and the distance was 21 feet.

Is it 21 feet? I always forget whether it's 17 or 21 :o

IronFist
06-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Whoa, Mythbusters should revisit this myth and test it with Jamie running in a zig zag line!

Drake
06-12-2012, 09:57 AM
How about handgun vs. zombie? What's the danger close zone?

Lucas
06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I always forget whether it's 17 or 21 :o

i have that problem too, thats why i check ID's now.