PDA

View Full Version : Zen Shaolin

GeneChing
06-12-2012, 08:31 AM
I thought there was a thread here on this show, but 'Zen Shaolin' is difficult to search. Maybe I missed it. Anyway, there are 8 photos if you follow the link.

Music ritual "Zen Shaolin" performed in Dengfeng, China's Henan (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/2012-06/10/c_131642632.htm)
English.news.cn | 2012-06-10 10:58:17 | Editor: An

Actors perform in a music ritual entitled "Zen Shaolin" in the Daixian Valley of the Songshan Mountain near Shaolin Temple in Dengfeng, central China's Henan Province, June 9, 2012. The show, first put on the stage in May 2007, has been staged for more than 1,000 times. The Zen school of Buddhism was founded by the 28th patriarch of the Buddhist Bodhidharma in Shaolin in the 6th century. Zen and martial arts are two important features of the Shaolin Temple. (Xinhua/Zhu Xiang)

rett
06-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I thought there was a thread here on this show, but 'Zen Shaolin' is difficult to search. Maybe I missed it. Anyway, there are 8 photos if you follow the link.

That's located across the cornfields from the school where I go to train sometimes, maybe 2 km away as the magpie flies. In the evenings you can see the light show on the mountains behind the performance hall. It's kind of eerie to see the fake moon, especially when the real moon is full and a twin appears in the sky. First time I was there was June 2007 so the show must've been very new. It was considered prohibitively expensive by normal people in the village, and frivolous/silly by kung fu practitioners.

I've never made it over to see the show. I'm just not into the whole Chinese mega-mass-performance thing. But I've heard from people who've been that it's surprisingly good.

There's some very nice hiking in the gorge leading up behind the show hall. Once you get past all the huge lighting emplacements. It's an interesting attitude. Hey we've got this beautiful, world heritage, holy mountain: let's light it up like a christmas tree and put in canned music in fake rocks all the way up. Well, they haven't done the canned music yet but don't they have that at Wudan? They have it at Disneyland too.

But griping aside, a lot of people really have said they were pleasantly surprised. That it's actually an amazing and inspiring show. So maybe it's time to put aside the attitude and give it a look. The pictures at the link were pretty cool, thanks.

Blacktiger
06-13-2012, 07:38 PM

We saw that in Sept 2007 when training in the area.

I have to say its one of the most amazing/beautiful shows I have ever seen, well worth checking out.

The scale of the whole thing was just off the show, lighting rigged up on cliff tops etc. Just unreal.

Do yourself a favour and see it - its fantastic!!