PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Body Armor

Hebrew Hammer
06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I've been researching Wudang and Daoist thought of late and I came across a story of famous Wudang monk who wore a shirt of armor underneath his robes and it got me thinking, I've seen vamp-braces or forearm armor depicted in Chinese martial arts over the years but did the Shaolin Monks use or wear armor of any kind? At some point they did serve as Imperial body guards.

I know there is a practice of body hardening, various "Iron Vest/shirt", Gene's favorite "Iron Sphinctor" etc...

Does anyone know what types of armor they may have used?

If they didn't wear it, how did they fair in pitched battles against armored soldiers? Why wouldn't they wear it? Is it against their vows as a Monk?

Lucas
06-12-2012, 11:42 AM
i can only assume but i think that yes, any modern equipment would be implimented if the activity demanded it. i think it was bawang that posted a picture of the shaolin musket unit.

GeneChing
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Gene's favorite "Iron Sphinctor" etc...
If there's any orifice to iron-ize, the sphincter would not be on top of my list. :rolleyes:

MightyB
06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
If there's any orifice to iron-ize, the sphincter would not be on top of my list. :rolleyes:

well - what is your favorite orifice to iron-ize?

Lucas
06-12-2012, 12:33 PM

apparently he has a list.

sanjuro_ronin
06-12-2012, 12:43 PM

There are things that mortal man should not know...

Featherstone
06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
it's a shame you cannot unread what has been read and written! :eek:

Hebrew Hammer
06-12-2012, 02:19 PM

This begs the question...what is on the top of your list? I guess they only iron-ize appendages. :confused:

Gene you haven't heard of or know any Shaolin Monks to have used armor?

Well I can tell you Iron Vulva is not something you want face in the heat of battle.

This is disturbing on many levels...

This thread went down hill fast and Bawang hasn't even posted.

Lucas
06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
This thread went down hill fast and Bawang hasn't even posted.

What can we say? You're KFM peers are a classy bunch.

bawang
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
during wars monk soldiers wore the standard armor of the times. in medieval times they wore armor, in modern times they wore western style uniforms.

GeneChing
06-13-2012, 10:15 AM
I can't say I've seen that many examples of monks wearing armor beyond vambraces. And I suspect that's a modern accessory. There were surely individual examples of Shaolin graduates armoring up, but that's not the standard.

apparently he has a list. Doesn't everyone?

MightyB
06-14-2012, 05:23 AM

Is it too soon for a Jerry Sandusky joke?
:o

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Is it too soon for a Jerry Sandusky joke?
:o

Only if it's in bad taste...I saw about a 100 of them already following the articles about his trial. That dude is not going to be happy for the next 500yrs following his sentencing.

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
So Iron-Izing your body...how effective is it? Could it stop a real sharp edged weapon attack?? I can see the value against blunt force strikes...staff, clubs, hand and foot strikes. I've done some minor training in this with CLF and see the value in it.

I always thought the pressing spear points and taking short sword strikes to the skin during martial arts demonstrations as mostly a parlor trick and not proof the "Iron" body conditioning will actually stop an edged weapon strike.

I see 'Iron' training as more of an offensive enhancement, building up calcium deposits on your bone surfaces...hands, knuckles, fingers, chins and skull.

bawang
06-14-2012, 11:59 AM
you answered your own question

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Yep, pretty much a parlour trick that can and has been duplicated by many non-tcma people.
Maybe they should do a mythbuster episode on this stuff LOL !
I can say that every single demo of "chi" that I have seen done by a "chi master" I have seen done by someone that is NOT a "chi master".

Tea Serpent
07-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't know whether or not the temple guards would have regularly worn armor on day to day duty although it is likely, especially in periods of social turmoil. But They definitely would have been equipped with armor on the occasions when they were called in to assist the government.
Armor would have been considered a necessity and was standard equipment in any military action. As a temple that at least in certain periods had permission to maintain a large force of fighting monks, Shaolin would always have had armor on hand.
For most of Chinese history armor was standard equipment for soldiers, bandits, militias, and people guarding travelers, warehouses, caravans, buildings, or people.
Armor was even commonly used in the small village / tribal / clan wars that were so prevalent, especially in the south.
Of course the armor would be massively different depending on the period and the status and occupation of the person using it.

RenDaHai
07-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Japanese SoHei warrior monks would wear armour under their robes. I assume the shaolin did the same, or just wore the armour.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/21/26087790_4725a0354b.jpg

I wonder if they fought with those shoes on.......

Scott R. Brown
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM

If bawang was standing behind you, you might wish you had put it there!:eek:

A list, or a fist?

Hebrew Hammer
07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Japanese SoHei warrior monks would wear armour under their robes. I assume the shaolin did the same, or just wore the armour.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/21/26087790_4725a0354b.jpg

I wonder if they fought with those shoes on.......

My ninjew sense tells me that's a chic and I can confirm that they can fight in heels. That's a pretty nice circumsizer she's got there.

sha0lin1
07-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Well I can tell you Iron Vulva is not something you want face in the heat of battle.

Huh, huh,.....huh,huh..... Uh, he said vulva. Huh,huh....huh,huh, Thats cool.