PDA

View Full Version : A little demo clip

Sean66
06-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Here's a little demo of some of the wing chun and taijiquan training in my school.
WARNING: It's just a demo of some drills and very light sparring. There is no full contact sparring or fighting in the video.
That will have to wait for another clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kWS0JTbMg

imperialtaichi
06-19-2012, 05:04 AM
That was pretty good! Thumbs up from me. :)

sanjuro_ronin
06-19-2012, 05:30 AM
As demos go, not bad at all.
You covered a nice range and blend of aspects of VT and you included sparring ( ligth sparring like you said but that;s fine for a general demo clip).
I would only make two suggestions:
The guy with the towel around his neck while doing chi sao, not good ( lose the towel).
Maybe add some weapons sparring.

Frost
06-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks for posting, didn’t really understand the full gear including the head guards but then only really as you say light sparring, was this to get used to the gear?
Also the drill against the wall was this to get them used to being under pressure? would have liked to see a little more movement from them and some hard shots coming in if it was, standing there and just eating shots without moving the arms or changing levels is a bad habit, but over all nice and thanks for posting, liked the arm drag and the takedowns in the tai chi clip

sanjuro_ronin
06-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks for posting, didn’t really understand the full gear including the head guards but then only really as you say light sparring, was this to get used to the gear?
Also the drill against the wall was this to get them used to being under pressure? would have liked to see a little more movement from them and some hard shots coming in if it was, standing there and just eating shots without moving the arms or changing levels is a bad habit, but over all nice and thanks for posting, liked the arm drag and the takedowns in the tai chi clip

Honestly, even with "light contact" I like to see SOME gear ( maybe not head gear, just gloves), even in light contact you need to MAKE contact and enough to keep it honest.
Personally I don't believe in "light contact".
To me there is NO contact (obviously a waste of time)
There is contact - make contact hard enough to keep it honest but no one is trying to KO anyone.
Hard contact - sparring
Full contact.

Sean66
06-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Hey Frost,

Using the gear is more for the guy without the gear. Most people hesitate when it comes to hitting somebody else, which although the sign of a healthy individual can be a fatal error in a real violent encounter.
When the other guy is wearing the gear, they tend to be less "afraid" of making contact and can enter into the proper distance to actually hit. It's better than pulling punches and hitting only air.

The drill against the wall is a sort of "recovery" drill.
The idea is that you've already made mistakes or been taken by surprise and you're under a situation of sensory overload. The second you sense a "break" or "hole" in the onslaught, you go forward with a counterattack. The point (for this exercise) is not the force behind the blows but the frequency.

Sanjuro,

Thanks for the tips. I'd love to add some weapons sparring, but my guys just aren't good enough with the weapons yet. Maybe in a couple of years....

sanjuro_ronin
06-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Hey Frost,

Using the gear is more for the guy without the gear. Most people hesitate when it comes to hitting somebody else, which although the sign of a healthy individual can be a fatal error in a real violent encounter.
When the other guy is wearing the gear, they tend to be less "afraid" of making contact and can enter into the proper distance to actually hit. It's better than pulling punches and hitting only air.

The idea is that you've already made mistakes or been taken by surprise and you're under a situation of sensory overload. The second you sense a "break" or "hole" in the onslaught, you go forward with a counterattack. The point (for this exercise) is not the force behind the blows but the frequency.

Sanjuro,

Thanks for the tips. I'd love to add some weapons sparring, but my guys just aren't good enough with the weapons yet. Maybe in a couple of years....

Re: the drill against the wall.
Can I make a suggestion?
We do that quite a bit on boxing, MT, MMA and many other systems that work in a "confined area".
I suggest that rather than the guy "waiting" for his partner to stop hitting him, he take the inititive and MAKE his partner miss and then counter, know what I mean?

Frost
06-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Honestly, even with "light contact" I like to see SOME gear ( maybe not head gear, just gloves), even in light contact you need to MAKE contact and enough to keep it honest.
Personally I don't believe in "light contact".
To me there is NO contact (obviously a waste of time)
There is contact - make contact hard enough to keep it honest but no one is trying to KO anyone.
Hard contact - sparring
Full contact.

Head guards for me would mean harder contact, as would boxing gloves, from a TCMA point of few im im limiting my weapons by wearing boxing gloves and not MMA gloves, then the only good reason would be because I want to hit harder than MMA gloves allow

Frost
06-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Hey Frost,

Sanjuro,

No doubt its better, but I would like the guy to be making heavier contact, otherwise personally lose the headgear and get used (both sides) to hitting and getting hit lightly without the protection

I understand the drill, we do similar things but from a CM structure where the hands move over the head and you use level changes as well, static hands are easier to get round if the arms and hands are moving and the level is changing you will be able to create more gaps to counter from but it’s a good drill nice to see

free2flow
06-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Sanjuro,

Try training knife light sparring with limited target, like hands only. Work on bridging the gap, entering into close range. Forehand and backhand slash, along with forward and backward step and drag and you should be good to go. Then later you can add more variables.

k gledhill
06-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Here's a little demo of some of the wing chun and taijiquan training in my school.
WARNING: It's just a demo of some drills and very light sparring. There is no full contact sparring or fighting in the video.
That will have to wait for another clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kWS0JTbMg

Good mix, I like the 1 versus 2 .

Sean66
06-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks Kev.
It's a cool triangle drill. The guy in the "middle" has to attack but at the same time keep aware of the his surroundings, able to counterattack at any time. First you do it slow with a predictable rhythm and after a few minutes you can step up the pace and play with angles and levels. Good fun!

k gledhill
06-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks Kev.
It's a cool triangle drill. The guy in the "middle" has to attack but at the same time keep aware of the his surroundings, able to counterattack at any time. First you do it slow with a predictable rhythm and after a few minutes you can step up the pace and play with angles and levels. Good fun!

I usually fought more than 1 guy in nightclub~bar security work, :D "first come first served" . A lot of times it only took dropping one of the crew involved with a good punch to dishearten the rest...and less likely to get too close to me :D

I found from my fights doing security/bouncing for 10+ years, one of the most common entries of guys attacking me was my wrist being grabbed or both with a charge forward. From this I also add a lot of Biu gee elbow raising /lowering to recover the hand, break their grip in sparring exchanges. I also show it from being slammed into a wall by double wrist grabs ,then bg elbow releases.

Sean66
06-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Yes, wrist grabs happen a lot more often than people think.
I like to work on that, too. Also doing fight drills in confined spaces like hallways/ doorways or surrounded by a group of people....it's all a lot of fun and builds useful reflexes.

k gledhill
06-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Yes, wrist grabs happen a lot more often than people think.
I like to work on that, too. Also doing fight drills in confined spaces like hallways/ doorways or surrounded by a group of people....it's all a lot of fun and builds useful reflexes.

Yes, a few of my students became Air marshals. We did demos for their Supervisors in mock up jet cabins inside their NJ headquarters. The narrow aisles and cramped bulkhead areas of the mock airliner bodies they use for live drills are perfect for VT's direct approach, straight low kicks, prevention of refacing, etc...They also have a dummy in the HQ gym !

A good pre sparring drill is to get the students to do 10+ squat thrusts with star jumps ...as fast as they can to raise breathing and heart rates suddenly, then spar straight away when they finish the 10th....:D
I got this from shooting instructors during stress courses involving timed fire along a mixed course of fire. Its easy until you can't breath and your hearts blasting :D The instructors would add good humored very loud berating to add to the STRESS/fun , saying you probably f**ck like your doing that tiny pushup etc....:D:D:D
This sudden raise in HR & Breathing can simulate adrenalin dump pre fight.

wingchunIan
06-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Sean, just an idea for your two on one stuff. Once you feel they are ready for it, get teh guy in the middle to close his eyes and spin round a few times and let the guys on the outside move about. The disorientation is one of my favourite training drills and really messes things up.

Sean66
06-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Good idea Ian, I'll try it out!