PDA

View Full Version : Instructor course

deremifri
06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi everybody,

do you guys know of anybody who offers a full time course to become kung fu instructor?
I do not really care about location (could be China,could be USA, whatever) or style, there are also no financial issues.
Would be great to hear from you.

Greetings

Lucas
06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
we have a forum poster that goes by the handle Bawang, he has instructor courses.

-N-
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
we have a forum poster that goes by the handle Bawang, he has instructor courses.

He teaches how to make rice bowls.

sean_stonehart
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Ed Parker Kenpo?

He used to run ads for black belt instructors, no experience necessary.

Punch.HeadButt
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
So, you don't care what you learn, where you learn it from, or how much it costs...as long as you're called a "kung fu instructor" by the end?

I'll teach you! :p

I'm curious, f you don't care what style you learn or where you learn it from, why do you want it to be "kung fu"?

ginosifu
06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Hi everybody,

do you guys know of anybody who offers a full time course to become kung fu instructor?
I do not really care about location (could be China,could be USA, whatever) or style, there are also no financial issues.

Greetings

My Instructor course is $7500.00 USD and I am in Cleveland, Ohio. Your Choice of style is Northern Shaolin, Southern Hung gar or Angry Monkey Fist. The course is 3 years and you will need 200 hours of teaching here in my classes and a lot of other stuff.

if you are serious PM me

ginosifu

pazman
06-19-2012, 06:58 PM
My instructor course is only $6500 and it includes 2 sets of silk pajamas. I'm also Chinese so you know its legit.

SPJ
06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
being a student first

over time

you will be teaching/instructor assistant

over time

you will be teacher/instructor.

It takes time.

:)

xinyidizi
06-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I agree with SPJ. As an average learner I have had quite a few instructors and I think the best way to learn is to find a true high level martial artist and just train with them for many years. The active part of the training and how the instructor explains the moves verbally is the least important part of the training. The passive part of the training including looking at how the instructor does the moves and getting beaten up by him is the most important part as our bodies will absorb and pick up the moves even without us noticing. After achieving a reasonable level ourselves it will be easy to see what is correct and what is wrong in other people like the beginners who come to train with your teacher. At that point one can gradually start to teach and traditionally most martial artists have learned teaching like this.

ginosifu
06-20-2012, 04:55 AM
My instructor course is only $6500 and it includes 2 sets of silk pajamas. I'm also Chinese so you know its legit.

Ok.... so I will throw in a couple sets of silk pajamas, a flimsy shiny sword and a pair of Feivues! I'm Italian if that does anything for ya.

ginosifu

pazman
06-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Ok.... so I will throw in a couple sets of silk pajamas, a flimsy shiny sword and a pair of Feivues! I'm Italian if that does anything for ya.

ginosifu

I concede defeat.:p

pazman
06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Real answer:

I don't know any "instructor" courses, but I know of a lot of places that offer intensive or residential training.

The sports colleges here in China offer degrees in Wushu, Traditional Gongfu, Sanda, kickboxing, boxing, etc, though the quality of these places are not entirely consistent.

There are many private gongfu schools in China that offer this kind of training. As per Chinese culture, either foreigners are not welcome or must pay an princely sum. I cannot recommend any private school in China at this time.

If you are willing to look beyond gongfu, I can recommend at least several places in Japan that offer high quality training at a fraction of the costs in China, though I guess the high cost of living in Japan might offset that.

Finally, I would advise the OP to not start a martial art with the goal of becoming an instructor.

David Jamieson
06-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi everybody,

Greetings

Are you in the Toronto area?
How committed are you to this?
Are you sure you aren't putting the cart before the horse?
I say that because most people that learn Kung Fu and are committed to it as a lifestyle become instructors eventually.

carlosjj
06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I think it's important to find someone who you believe you can learn from at your level. Learning is a ongoing process, one that never end. Even a 90 year old could learn something from a small child. We are always growing, so I would say use your instinct and try to avoid any "instructor qualifications programs" unless you have good recommendations.

Subitai
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM

.......... Do I hear 5,500?

Going Once....Going Twice

Golden Arms
06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
My Instructor course is $7500.00 USD and I am in Cleveland, Ohio. Your Choice of style is Northern Shaolin, Southern Hung gar or Angry Monkey Fist. The course is 3 years and you will need 200 hours of teaching here in my classes and a lot of other stuff.

if you are serious PM me

ginosifu

:mad: Are you kidding? 200 hours would add up to less than 5 months training at my school for an average student. My students train like monsters and they would be the first to tell you that they have no business trying to teach Hung Gar after that amount of time.

You are either setting a much lower standard than what I learned or you don't really teach Hung Gar. I will leave it at that.

200 hours of Pak Mei instruction and practice wouldn't even get you much past the first set.

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
:mad: Are you kidding? 200 hours would add up to less than 5 months training at my school for an average student. My students train like monsters and they would be the first to tell you that they have no business trying to teach Hung Gar after that amount of time.

You are either setting a much lower standard than what I learned or you don't really teach Hung Gar. I will leave it at that.

200 hours of Pak Mei instruction and practice wouldn't even get you much past the first set.

That is 3 years AND 200 hours of TEACHING.

Golden Arms
06-26-2012, 11:26 AM
3 years and 200 hours is better, but still nowhere near instructor level for Hung Gar unless you were already pretty deep in another system before you began and had a strong foundation.

David Jamieson
06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
3 years and 200 hours is better, but still nowhere near instructor level for Hung Gar unless you were already pretty deep in another system before you began and had a strong foundation.

I agree with this. I would say 10 years is a good starting point for a Hung Gar teacher.

At 10 years of study a Hung Gar student is probably likely ready to start teaching the system. It is equally likely that he has already been teaching his under class mates for some time as it is usually 3-5 years that will see a tcma student participate in a student teacher role as sihing.

We are talking about a system of kung fu and not learning how to fight or self defense or any of that. We are talking about the Hung Gar system.

Including the gongs, the weapons, the sets, the drills, the esoterica etc. Yep, 10 years is not a stretch.

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 11:44 AM

That would depend on how "full time" that full time course is, right?
I don't know about the 3 years...
Maybe 4 years WITH a soiled base in another "similar style", even then that depends on the student but again, 3 years at, assuming 5 days a week and 6 hours a day and 1 week holiday:
1530 hours.
at the typical 2 hours a day for 3X a week, that is 255 weeks or close to 5 years.
Or something like that, LOL !

Lucas
06-26-2012, 12:09 PM
to be fair to ginosifu, he never said what the requirements are to be accepted into that program. perhaps you get accepted once you have been a student long enough, THEN your instructor course starts when you are ready. from that point to complete the instructor course (once you are qualified to begin it) you require 3 years of the course with 200 hours of solid teaching time in. i could be totally wrong of course. he did say you need 'lots of other stuff' maybe that 'other stuff' is getting to the point where you are ready to begin.

Lucas
06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
a lot of teachers will want to know what your long term goals are. if you decide you want to teach, you will slowly be guided in that direction. once you get your black sash/belt, then you can begin.

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
In my old TKD dojang and my kyokushin club, you had to teach X number of hours to get you BB.
I don't like prescribed time frames anyways.
Everyone learns at a different pace, heck I got down all my TKD forms in less than two years, placing first in the BB division ( wasn't a BB yet though) in both from and sparring along the way.
I got my BB in TKD in just over two years ( already had my BB in Karate before ) then when I left and went to Kyokushin, I got my BB in a year and 2dn degree in two years after that.
Not typical in any way for sure, but understandable give the prior MA experience.
BUT even before all that, I got my BB in Karate in 4 years, before I was 17.
And that was in Portugal, where they are OLD SCHOOL about that.
Again, too many variables to truly set a time frame on any MA.

Lucas
06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
this is true. quit being so smart

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
this is true. quit being so smart

In all fairness, I've had great teachers AND been smart enough to know that the best teacher is experience.
I love MA and when you love what you do, you become a sponge and take it all in !
In Europe they put kids sparring right away, " Karate is for fighting, you want to dance you do folk dance !".
I remember that in my first year of judo I randoried more with colour belts than any other white belt, of course I jumped two belts that first year.
Truly, if you want to "unlock" your MA, spar !

ginosifu
06-26-2012, 12:51 PM

200 hours of assisting me in class and learning how to teach is the requirement to get thru the Instructors course. You are not a Sifu at the end of this course by no means. All this means is you are certified to help Sifu in the class and maybe run a kids class. Hopefull they will stick around and continue their journey with me and learn the deeper aspects of their style and how to teach it. 10 years would be a better number to open up your own Kwoon.

That would depend on how "full time" that full time course is, right?
I don't know about the 3 years...
Maybe 4 years WITH a soiled base in another "similar style", even then that depends on the student but again, 3 years at, assuming 5 days a week and 6 hours a day and 1 week holiday:
1530 hours.
at the typical 2 hours a day for 3X a week, that is 255 weeks or close to 5 years.
Or something like that, LOL !

The amount of training depends on the student and their schedule. When I was learning.. I was training almost 8 hours a day 6 -7 days a week. The modern student that comes only 1-3 times a week and maybe 1-2 hours a day will only get them so far.... and they end up quitting.

ginosifu

mooyingmantis
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM

In defense of Gino...

Yes, he does really teach Hung Gar. He teaches in the Wing Lam lineage under John Ervin. From my observation, people are allowed to teach in that lineage before receiving all the traditional sets, even before learning all of what most consider the four core sets (Taming Tiger, Tiger Crane, Ten Shapes and Iron Wire). Instructors continue to learn from their sifu as they begin to teach.

The Angry Monkey style can be learned from novice to advanced in three years. It only has three empty hand sets, plus a few weapon sets.

I can't speak for the Northern Shaolin curriculum.

ginosifu
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
In defense of Gino...

Yes, he does really teach Hung Gar. He teaches in the Wing Lam lineage under John Ervin. From my observation, people are allowed to teach in that lineage before receiving all the traditional sets, even before learning all of what most consider the four core sets (Taming Tiger, Tiger Crane, Ten Shapes and Iron Wire). Instructors continue to learn from their sifu as they begin to teach.

Richard....

No one ever makes it very far in my Hung Gar class. It is a bit rough for the more modern student. Very few make it past the basic forms like Arrow hand and Lau Gar Fist. Sifu Ervin is hesistant let me give them stuff like Gung Gee Fook Fu or Tiger and Crane.

Golden Arms..

I have a girl who has been in my "Instructor Course" for almost 3 years now. She has ****ed around and gave me excuse after excuse... and so she will not get her instructors Cerificate until she has put forth the effort needed to aquire the skills needed to sucessfully teach Northern Shaolin. I am not saying everyone needs to do what I did and spend 8 hours a day 7 days a week. However, you are correct in saying 3 years is not a enough time... nowadays.

Requirements:
5 Days a week training in your regular class (Northern Shaolin or Hung gar etc).
2 Hours a week with me in a intrcutors training class.
200 hours of assisting me in class.
must attend all event (tournaments, tests, demo's etc)
Shuai Chiao class aleast 1 per week

ginosifu

bawang
06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi bawang,

someone on the forum mentioned that you offer instructor courses. If this is true, I would be glad if you could answer me some of the following questions:
Which style do you teach? Where are you located?
Is the course residential? Is previous experience necessary? How much does it cost?
Again, it would be great if you could find the time to answer me.

Sincerely

hello sir, my name is leung bing, i live in virginia. i teach a buddhist style originating in the emei temple called pok gai kuen. it is a complete and holistic system.

i have 7 private students, which symbolizes the seven stars in the sky. when one student is ready to leave i take on another student. i also teach acupuncture in a separate class.

i would prefer the course to be residental, but online is also possible. i do not require my disciples to have any prior experience, this system is a complete system and is all you will need. the cost is 1000 dollars up front, or 50 dollars per hour. please send by cash via western union.
xdgfdgfdgdfgdfg

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Classic Bawang !

dc_jowga
06-29-2012, 06:02 PM
yes, raymond wong has one in washington dc and i have one in sacramento california. we both teach jow ga kung fu. it is not a crash course though, like some of the wing chun courses.

if your interested please let me know i will give you the information.

deremifri
07-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Thanks everybody for the great and helpful suggestions, however I have decided to travel to China, so I will look for some training there.