PDA

View Full Version : YouTube has the "not good" kung foo

RWilson
06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Many of you like to use this argument. I am just wondering where the real/good Kung fu videos are? Do they exist? Or do you truly believe that the real stuff is kept for the chosen students and passed down in the oral tradition?

Lebaufist
06-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I was taught pretty well. There was no oral involved.

RWilson
06-26-2012, 03:50 AM
I was taught pretty well. There was no oral involved.

How else did you get the secrets without a little oral? :)

In all seriousness though think about this. During the Dark Ages nothing was written down. All we have are the stories that people heard and these stories are not normal. They are about King Arthur and are filled with magic...kind of like Kung foo stories. It's too bad they couldnt write or things would not have been so convoluted and the truth would not have died with the kings.

David Jamieson
06-26-2012, 05:50 AM
How else did you get the secrets without a little oral? :)

In all seriousness though think about this. During the Dark Ages nothing was written down. All we have are the stories that people heard and these stories are not normal. They are about King Arthur and are filled with magic...kind of like Kung foo stories. It's too bad they couldnt write or things would not have been so convoluted and the truth would not have died with the kings.

wtf?

Dude, writing has been extant for millennium. People did not stop writing at any time in history. There is no such thing as "dark ages".

Truth dies on the tongue of ignorant conviction or it's altar.

RWilson
06-26-2012, 06:15 AM
wtf?

Dude, writing has been extant for millennium. People did not stop writing at any time in history. There is no such thing as "dark ages".

Truth dies on the tongue of ignorant conviction or it's altar.

What I meant was that there are scarce historical records from this time of European decline. I didn't mean they became stupid and stopped writing. And the Dark Ages did happen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)

RWilson
06-26-2012, 06:21 AM
We are currently in the kung foo dark ages where nobody puts up videos of "the real" Kung foo which means there is no proof of this real Kung foo. Years from now people will be saying the same nonsense: The masters who had the real knowledge all died off before passing everything down. Here is another favorite of mine: students today are too lazy to find out for themselves the true power/secrets of Kung foo.

And the ones that do stick around end up doing hsing I forms or shaolin forms forever.

The ones that left left because of all the secretive forms. So in this new age of YouTube why hasn't the real fighting foo been revealed? Probably because it does not exist anymore. If it does prove me wrong.

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 07:06 AM
What I meant was that there are scarce historical records from this time of European decline. I didn't mean they became stupid and stopped writing. And the Dark Ages did happen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)

No, there really wasn't, it was just the "Renaissance people' trying to make THEIR "golden age' look better or a nostalgic view of antiquity.

From your own link:
Originally the term characterized the bulk of the Middle Ages, or roughly the 6th to 13th centuries, as a period of intellectual darkness between the extinguishing of the "light of Rome" after the end of Late Antiquity, and the rise of the Italian Renaissance in the 14th century.[5][3] This definition is still found in popular usage,[1][2][6] but increased recognition of the accomplishments of the Middle Ages since the 19th century has led to the label being restricted in application. Since the 20th century, it is frequently applied only to the earlier part of the era, the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century).[7][8] However, many modern scholars who study the era tend to avoid the term altogether for its negative connotations, finding it misleading and inaccurate for any part of the Middle Ages.[9][10][11]

The concept of a Dark Age originated with the Italian scholar Petrarch (Francesco Petrarca) in the 1330s, and was originally intended as a sweeping criticism of the character of Late Latin literature.[3][12] Petrarch regarded the post-Roman centuries as "dark" compared to the light of classical antiquity. Later historians expanded the term to refer to the transitional period between Roman times and the High Middle Ages (c. 11th–13th century), including not only the lack of Latin literature, but also a lack of contemporary written history, general demographic decline, limited building activity and material cultural achievements in general. Later historians and writers picked up the concept, and popular culture has further expanded on it as a vehicle to depict the Middle Ages as a time of backwardness, extending its pejorative use and expanding its scope.[13]

RWilson
06-26-2012, 07:14 AM
No, there really wasn't, it was just the "Renaissance people' trying to make THEIR "golden age' look better or a nostalgic view of antiquity.

From your own link:
Originally the term characterized the bulk of the Middle Ages, or roughly the 6th to 13th centuries, as a period of intellectual darkness between the extinguishing of the "light of Rome" after the end of Late Antiquity, and the rise of the Italian Renaissance in the 14th century.[5][3] This definition is still found in popular usage,[1][2][6] but increased recognition of the accomplishments of the Middle Ages since the 19th century has led to the label being restricted in application. Since the 20th century, it is frequently applied only to the earlier part of the era, the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century).[7][8] However, many modern scholars who study the era tend to avoid the term altogether for its negative connotations, finding it misleading and inaccurate for any part of the Middle Ages.[9][10][11]

The concept of a Dark Age originated with the Italian scholar Petrarch (Francesco Petrarca) in the 1330s, and was originally intended as a sweeping criticism of the character of Late Latin literature.[3][12] Petrarch regarded the post-Roman centuries as "dark" compared to the light of classical antiquity. Later historians expanded the term to refer to the transitional period between Roman times and the High Middle Ages (c. 11th–13th century), including not only the lack of Latin literature, but also a lack of contemporary written history, general demographic decline, limited building activity and material cultural achievements in general. Later historians and writers picked up the concept, and popular culture has further expanded on it as a vehicle to depict the Middle Ages as a time of backwardness, extending its pejorative use and expanding its scope.[13]

People say that the Holocaust did not happen either. People can say whatever they want. When it is taught in school it is taught as The Dark Ages. It is human to categorize events or people. The plague did not happen either I guess. That was just modern Historians calling it that to highlight that many people died from a disease and since many people are always from disease it is not a special event.

Rant over.

Point being, all the stories of Merlin, magic, and fruitiness came out of the Dark Ages because there is little historical data. I studied Chinese history in college and it was all straightforward. No magic, no talk of Kung foo. They wrote everything down and were never culturally or physically destroyed like the ancient Greeks and romans

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 07:26 AM
People say that the Holocaust did not happen either. People can say whatever they want. When it is taught in school it is taught as The Dark Ages. It is human to categorize events or people. The plague did not happen either I guess. That was just modern Historians calling it that to highlight that many people died from a disease and since many people are always from disease it is not a special event.

Rant over.

Point being, all the stories of Merlin, magic, and fruitiness came out of the Dark Ages because there is little historical data. I studied Chinese history in college and it was all straightforward. No magic, no talk of Kung foo. They wrote everything down and were never culturally or physically destroyed like the ancient Greeks and romans

Dude, the reason modern historians doubt the "dark ages" were THAT dark is because there is evidence that it wasn't.
The plague happened ( there is ample evidence)
The holocaust happened ( there is ample evidence)

As for the stories of the middle age, dude, have you read the stories of classic antiquity? the greeks and romans? wanna talk about magic ? LOL !

But back on subject.
The reason that kung fu has become, IN SOME circles, kung fool, has to do with who is ACCEPTING that message, not who is delivering it.

There was always BS in the history of TCMA, street performers, charlatans and what not. The thing was that even in those days some people got bamboozeled and in that regard, we are no different now.
Why?
Because there will always be those that do NOT want to do what it takes to be a good MA, ie: Fight and get bloodied.

David Jamieson
06-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Rant over.

No. Ignorance is not as valid as truth. Period. People may not just say and believe as they like and have that propagated into the mainstream thought.

Scholars today do NOT use the term dark ages and in fact disparage it as erroneous reference. Just so you know.

Also, the School system has been subject to pathetic nonsense for some time and is less about learning the truth than it is about conforming a formative mind to function in the social construct it happened to be born into.

There are vast tracts of documentation and history related to the time you are referring to which in fact was merely the reduction of Roman power in Europe through it's collapse and division as well as the rise of European Kings and their continuation of civilization through that period.

Sanjuro is correct. Dark Ages is a term that was made up and no longer applies and is not used in the scholars circles at all except to reference the incorrect stance of "dark ages".

People denying the Holocaust are fools. That goes without saying. People who deny the mass destruction of people under Mao are fools. People who deny Stalin's orders that led to the death of 8 million Ukrainian peoples are fools.

Plagues happened throughout history.

I recommend you read something more up to date and cited. You seem to be spouting myths that get picked up in beer halls and playgrounds as opposed to actual treatise or study on the subject you are attempting to broach.

bawang
06-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Many of you like to use this argument. I am just wondering where the real/good Kung fu videos are? Do they exist? Or do you truly believe that the real stuff is kept for the chosen students and passed down in the oral tradition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd_hYW8nPcA

Hebrew Hammer
06-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Bawang...the voice of reason...who knew?

Good find on the vid, first one I've seen of spear work other than forms or demos...it's much harder than it looks.

I must admit I was hoping for something more in the 'oral' tradition.

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Beautiful, real TCMA.

Scott R. Brown
06-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Philosophy was alive and well during the time period following the fall of the Roman empire.

bawang
06-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Bawang...the voice of reason...who knew?

Good find on the vid, first one I've seen of spear work other than forms or demos...it's much harder than it looks.

thanks man, i think its hard find these because people with no sense of shame or modesty are more likely to post their bad videos.

i think this is also a good baji video, shows good energy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol32eUQ0DhA

good video of training: real weight, not those baby weights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ApGG9_TuI

sanjuro_ronin
06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
thanks man, i think its hard find these because people with no sense of shame or modesty are more likely to post their bad videos.

i think this is also a good baji video, shows good energy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol32eUQ0DhA

good video of training: real weight, not those baby weights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ApGG9_TuI

Nice stuff dude.
Loved the baji clip, first time I have ever seen boxing with a "baji" twist to it.

SimonM
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
People say that the Holocaust did not happen either.

Wow, Godwin's law enacted by post 8, that's gotta be some sort of a record. :eek:

RWilson
06-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Found some good kung foo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VLUt6b5Ts&feature=youtube_gdata_player

David Jamieson
06-28-2012, 08:24 AM

cool! Baji lance fighting.

more fun than kendo! lol just kidding kendo is fun.

bawang
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
cool! Baji lance fighting.

more fun than kendo! lol just kidding kendo is fun.

i have very high respect for kenjutsu and sojutsu. all surviving chinese saber techniques comes from the japanese. in fact i think those baji guys probably were inspired by sojutsu randori.

IronFist
06-28-2012, 10:06 PM

I'd want a hockey glove on both hands if I was doing that.

Cool vid, tho!

SPJ
06-29-2012, 06:16 AM
I look for fight clips or competition clips mostly.

I also look for training clips.

Shun away promo or demo clips.

Big waste of your time.

Happy viewing from youtube.

If you want to comment on all bad videos out there

eh wasting your time.

--

:eek:

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2012, 06:25 AM
I'd want a hockey glove on both hands if I was doing that.

Cool vid, tho!

When I was doing full contact weapons work I went from Hockey gloves to lacrosse/street hockey, to batters gloves even tried no gloves.
Got hit less in the hands the less crap I had on...

Lebaufist
06-29-2012, 10:41 PM
TCMA has a problem with the level of its exponents. This MA world is judged by the number of reasonably young athletes it has that can execute skill on demand.

Quien es mas macho?

Why aren't Kung fu schools putting out more fighters?

I'd like to see kung fu named in at least the striking section of a resume/stat card in an mma match.

IronFist
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
When I was doing full contact weapons work I went from Hockey gloves to lacrosse/street hockey, to batters gloves even tried no gloves.
Got hit less in the hands the less crap I had on...

Probably cuz you were more aware of the danger and were more conscious of not letting yourself get hit there?

Or maybe cuz hockey gloves take up more space and are more likely to be hit?

Or maybe cuz you were getting better as you went to gloves with less protection?

Do the Dog Brothers wear gloves when they fight? They're the only people I've heard of who do full contact stick fighting so I'm wondering what sort of protection they wear.