PDA

View Full Version : So Which Ancient Warrior Would You Be?

Hebrew Hammer
06-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Look, its been a long night at the Psych Ward and I need a little escapism. I've always believed in the warrior spirit, I believe it curses through my veins...I've been a soldier, a modern armored knight (M-1 tanker), but in my heart I've always been drawn to the ancient warriors. That's why the traditional martial arts have captured my imagination.

Maybe I'm a huge loser, I'm single...have no kids that I know of and I ALWAYS turn off my phone on Father's Day, I don't want any out of state calls. But over the years I've contemplated what or who I would be in the ancient warrior classes. So here's what I've come up with:

The Yin: Ancestrally, I come from Scottish (Clan MacGreggor) and Ukranian stock, I could have been a Highlander or a Cossack. Seeing as I don't care much for horseback riding, odds are I would have been a hill running, kilt wearing, barbarian of Clan MacGreggor. It would be frighting to see me in a kilt, if I ever make it to Scotland...a pic will be posted. I would have chosen weapons along the line of this William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu vid...chain mail, targe, war hammer aka can opener and a vicious Scottish Claymore. Not one for heavy armor and large helms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJPsCeflUw

The Yang: Now if I were to be an ancient Asian persuasion, Quai Chang Jew if you will, I find myself attracted to the Wudang mountains, Daoist philosophy, Tai Chi, and Xingyi. As a warrior monk I'd be armed with a Kwan Dao for keeping foes at bay, and chopping down horse mounted warriors. My back up weapons would be long sword across my back paired with horse hair whip...as I'm near sighted I'd keep a few throwing daggers on hand for ranged attacks. Armor would be leather vampbraces and possibly light chain mail shirt under my monks robes.

Who would you be? And how would you be armed?

Discuss...

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Well, culture wise, being Portuguese, I guess a knight.
MA wise, that is a tougher one but I most certaibly do NOT relate to the Samurai or the Shaolin monk.
More of the Okinawan farmer/fisherman of the Chinese worker that happens to know MA, than anything else I think.
But I probably relate the most to the ronin, big surprise eh?
The ronin that retires to a quite country life.

David Jamieson
06-29-2012, 05:59 AM
Scots/Welsh/Canadian here

So, Some kind of post Viking Pre-Roman Alban Warrior.
Preferably with a horse.
:)
Our familiy sept is Gunn from Gunner which is norse/dane for "warrior"

bawang
06-29-2012, 10:20 AM
theres too many warriors in history that i admire, i cant choose one, i want to be all of them.

Lucas
06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
English/French/Choctaw/German is my mutt mix. Based on blood I have a few choices to work with. A large part of me is really drawn to the guerilla warrior, sifting through the trees with a bow and arrows on my back, a spear in one hand, a rawhide shield in the other and a couple tomahawks on my waste, and my brothers with me. I'm 1/4 of each, so its hard to decide what culture to identify with. So I just see myself as an American. The Choctaw were among the first 'civilized indians' so as an American it actually is easier to identify with a culture that existed and exists within the world i do live in. I've never even been to europe so I dont identify with my Europian ancestorage as much. I never met any of my europian first generation americans, but i met my grandfather when i was young several times, who was full blood native.

"When upon the war-path the Choctaws always went in small bands which was the universal custom of their entire race, traveling one behind the other in a straight line; and, if in the enemy’s territory, each one stepped exactly in the tracks of the one who walked before him, while the one in the extreme rear defaced, as much as possible, their tracks, that no evidence of their number, or whereabouts might be known to the enemy. In these war excursions, the most profound silence was observed; their communications being carried on by preconcerted and well understood signs made by the hand or head; if necessary to be audible, then by a low imitative cry of some particular wild animal.

Though they advanced in small bodies and detached parties, yet in their retreats they scattered like frightened partridges, each for himself, but to unite again at a pre-arranged place miles to the rear. No gaudy display was ever made in their war excursions to their enemy’s country. They meant business, not display, depending on the success of their expedition in their silent and unexpected approach, patient watching, and artful stratagems. To fight a pitched battle in an open field giving the enemy an equal chance, was to the Choctaws the best evidence of a want of military skill. Not unlike most of their race, they seldom invaded an enemy’s territory from choice; but woe to the enemy, who, attributing this to cowardice, should have the presumption to invade their country; like enraged bears robbed of their young, they would find the Choctaw warriors, to a man, ready to repel them with the most desperate and fearless bravery ever exhibited by a race of men. Yet, to them, no less than to the whites, strategy was commendable, and to outwit an enemy and thus gain an advantage over him, was evidence of great and praiseworthy skill."

Hebrew Hammer
06-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Well, culture wise, being Portuguese, I guess a knight.
MA wise, that is a tougher one but I most certaibly do NOT relate to the Samurai or the Shaolin monk.
More of the Okinawan farmer/fisherman of the Chinese worker that happens to know MA, than anything else I think.
But I probably relate the most to the ronin, big surprise eh?
The ronin that retires to a quite country life.

I agree with your in terms of Samurai and Shaolin, probably too rigid for me although admirable. I could never do Seppeku. A farmer/fisherman???? Come on SJ, at least a freaking Pirate...the scourge of the 7 seas, a rum drinking peg legged philanderer of the highest order. Here let me give you a visual.

theres too many warriors in history that i admire, i cant choose one, i want to be all of them.

I had you dead pegged as Shaka Zulu...come on Bawang you can do better than that.

Hebrew Hammer
06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Scots/Welsh/Canadian here

Our familiy sept is Gunn from Gunner which is norse/dane for "warrior"

What do you mean by sept? A welsh bowman perhaps?

Lucas
06-29-2012, 11:26 AM
the only problem is i absolutely love swords.

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2012, 11:32 AM
I agree with your in terms of Samurai and Shaolin, probably too rigid for me although admirable. I could never do Seppeku. A farmer/fisherman???? Come on SJ, at least a freaking Pirate...the scourge of the 7 seas, a rum drinking peg legged philanderer of the highest order. Here let me give you a visual.

I had you dead pegged as Shaka Zulu...come on Bawang you can do better than that.

Well, typically the portuguese were traders and explorers ( Spanish were the conquistadores) leaving the "piracy" to the English and Dutch.
And while your visual is quite interesting, my knowledge of history reminds me of how NASTY a life that really was !

Hebrew Hammer
06-29-2012, 11:32 AM
the only problem is i absolutely love swords.

You say that to all the guys...

So which sword wielding lad would you be? It's not dependent on ancestry.

Lucas
06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
give me a claymore and some berzerker rage and im set! i'll even fight naked

Lucas
06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
i like the idea of the old germanic ways, take all the men and their wives to the battle line and go bat **** crazy until its over or you fall.

Hebrew Hammer
06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Well, typically the portuguese were traders and explorers ( Spanish were the conquistadores) leaving the "piracy" to the English and Dutch.
And while your visual is quite interesting, my knowledge of history reminds me of how NASTY a life that really was !

Dude the Portugese had their own little conquistadores too...let me refresh your memory.

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Dude the Portugese had their own little conquistadores too...let me refresh your memory.

You're welcome :D

Jimbo
06-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm of Japanese ancestry, and based on physical characteristics (from my paternal side), probably have Ainu admixture, too. Some white people used to mistake my dad and his brothers for American Indians.

My maternal side were upper-crust in Japan, and included samurai. But personally, I don't relate to that much at all. They were them, and I'm me. I'm not sure which type of ancient warrior I'd like to be, but I've had a fascination for the methods of European knights and some of the Native American warriors.

Tao Of The Fist
06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm also Portuguese, but other than explorers and stuff there's no one interesting from there as far as I'm aware for warriors. However, we have delicious sausage (linguica or chourico) and wine. Nice to see another portagee on the board Sanjuro!

As far as ancient warriors from Asia, I'd probably go with somthing from Sun Bin's era. As a warrior type, I would like a halberd for long range, a longbow for distance, and a sword for close range work.

But on the Western front, I would like to be William the Conqueror. Always had a fascination with the dude. Of course, I'd have the typical Normand armor, longsword, and lance.

David Jamieson
06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
What do you mean by sept? A welsh bowman perhaps?

a sept is a family within a clan.

Our primary clan is Stewart of Bute, Our filial clan is Gunn and the septs of Gunn are many, some 20 or so other families that fall under that clan.

In scotalnd we like pai too.

mmmmmm 3.14...

now let me tell you about how i converted reform and became jewish... another clan based society. :)

seriously.