PDA

View Full Version : Creatine use, pros and cons?

Scarletmantis
09-08-2001, 02:39 AM
Hey, I used to use creatine a few years back but stopped 'cause it was soooo expensive. The stuff seemed to work for me, as I increased all of my lifts by about fifteen percent in less than two months. Now that I make a bit more dough, do you guys think it's worth the money for a wieght training Martial Artist?
How much do you use in the loading phase? Is loading necessary? Thanks in advance!

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

ged
09-08-2001, 03:09 AM
ill give u a con - one of my friends has just started taking it, and hes now lifting more than me.

**** him.

Sharky
09-08-2001, 03:36 AM
what is the loading phase?

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.

SevenStar
09-08-2001, 03:41 AM
during the loading phase, you basically take a lot of the stuff for like a week...I'm in a hurry, that's why there's no detail here. If you want detail, just say so, and I'll post some if Ford and Iron don't get to it first.

-ShortySeven©
Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

DrunkenMonkey
09-08-2001, 05:57 AM
Your kidneys shrivel, you pee a lot and you have to drink a LOAD OF WATER and you dry out quick.

An Art is any form of expression or task that has been honed to near perfection.

Silumkid
09-08-2001, 06:06 AM
All the studies on creatine so far have shown no adverse effects regarding long-term use. No kidney damage has ever been documented. However, yes, you do need to drink lots of water. Creatine works by driving more water into the muscle cells in order to produce ATP, the precusor which fuels muscular contraction. There are also several debates onhow best to take it but so far, grape juice seems to be generally accepted.

Also, studies have suggested that there is no difference in uptake concerning the "loading phase" and 5 grams a day for 30 days. Results seem to be the same.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Scarletmantis
09-08-2001, 07:17 AM
I thought the loading phase could be a potential marketing ploy in order to sell more product. I'm really weary of spending money on things that don't work (who isn't?).

When you mention the five grams a day thing, is that what is suggested for maintenance? I'll be done loading tommorrow (I'm weary but better safe than sorry). ;)

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

IronFist
09-08-2001, 09:33 AM
No offence guys, but the "loading phase" is something that was made up by supplement companies to make you go through creatine faster, and therefore spend more money. If you just start taking 5 grams a day (or whatever the normal dose is) it will work exactly the same. The loading phase is unecessary.

Creatine is more for bulking. It increases water retention, and you must drink at LEAST a gallon of water a day while you're on it or you can get some bad side effects. I don't know if MA's would want creatine or not, especially if they don't want bulk. Your lifts increase, but it's partially due to water retention.

Iron

PS. don't use creatine serum. Only use the powder stuff.

Scarletmantis
09-08-2001, 09:52 AM
What's wrong with the serum Iron?

I suspected that the loading phase was hooey, but I haven't seen anything disputing it in writing. It dosen't really matter though at this point (for me anyway), as I'm already just about through with the loading phase.

- The Way and the Power

PHILBERT
09-08-2001, 06:19 PM
I heard the serum has incredibly bad side effects compared to the powder (saw it on a post here. Just do a search.)

I take creatine and have seen an increase. In one week, yes one single week, I increased my benching power by 25 pounds. But I also started to eat healthier and take protein drinks along with muscle enhancers.

PHILBERT

Silumkid
09-08-2001, 06:55 PM
5 grams is generally a "heaping tablespoon" serving...so I guess you could call it the 'maintenence phase'.

Amitabha!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Scarletmantis
09-08-2001, 07:37 PM
It's just that I read a study comparing the serum and the powder, and there were less gastrointestinal disturbances reported. Like I said, I used Creatine a few years back without any sideffects. However, I DID use it for only six months, so I was curious. The powder's cheaper anyway! :D

- The Way and the Power

IronFist
09-09-2001, 09:07 AM
Creatine is not yet stable in liquid form (serum). I realize that when you mix the powder into a drink that is also a liquid, but there is a difference. I don't know what it is, however. This is just what I've been told by people who know a lot more about supplements than I do :)

So my recommendation is to stay away from the serum (and Biotest products. Haha, had to add that slam in there).

Iron

Lost_Disciple
09-09-2001, 09:26 AM
Iron
Grrrr LOL
Actually I heard the effervescent alkaseltzer form of creatine is still good and good for the tummy; just a bit more expensive.
On a side note, I was looking at Myoplex deluxe, CLA, and protein shakes when I finally get on my MRP diet, with a couple of tuna & banana meals thrown in. Whatcha think? Any better recommendations?

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

marycatherine
09-09-2001, 01:03 PM
Hey Scarlet,
I have no direct experience with creatine. All I know is that shortly after my boyfriend began using it he also damaged both rotator cuffs by lifting too much at the gym. He had to go through physical therapy and all kinds of therapeutic treatments because he totally overdid it. His arms were not maxing out but his rotator cuffs are a different story. Now that he'd like to study martial arts with me, he feels his abilities are limited due to this past injury. But! I also know people who used creatine and really improved their workouts by implementing it. best of luck!

mcg

ElPietro
09-09-2001, 08:05 PM
Creatine has no documented side effects. It will increase cellular water volume which will enable you to lift more weight, stressing muscles to a higher level. You wouldn't hurt your rotator cuffs by using creatine but by using too much weight and bad form.

Creatine serum, or any other liquid for is complete BS and should be avoided. Creatine isn't stable in liquid form and will be converted into creatnine a byproduct of creatine which your body will dispose of. When you mix creatine with water it is stable for a short period before it begins to breakdown so you are safe with powder. Serum forms have been analysed and almost all samples would show less than 2% is actually creatine. I don't know why they still market this, I thought everyone already knew how much BS is behind the claim of the "new stable liquid creatine serum" ads.

To address your question, if you are looking to add some mass and strength then sure creatine is one of the best options out there. It's an amino acid that is naturally produced in your body. Loading isn't necessary, loading is designed to saturate your muscles right away, but your muscles will saturate with creatine on their own when you supplement, it will just take a few days more. On a 2 month cycle a few days won't make much difference.