PDA

View Full Version : YKT-- the fifth layer

Hendrik
07-02-2012, 12:57 PM
The fifth layer of YKT is The force vector/ momentum handling, and basic core martial application tactic characteristic layer. This is the layer makes it a martial art. The other four layers are a support to this layer.

the basic core martial application tactic or strategy characteristic are similar with the previous layers; it comes with general and particular solution.

In general,
there are two elements to realize a martial art application tactic / strategy. The two elements are Positioning and technics. Positioning is the location (or where, including angle, timing, and state) one chooses to confront and subdue the opponent for one's advantage. The technics is the technics or tools uses in this confrontation.

in order to ge the job done well, technics are supported by Both force vector handling and momentum hanlding.

Thus, there is the strategy. the positioning and technics which realized the strategy. and, the force vector and momentum handling support the technics' execution.

in details, positioning and technics can further divided into Pre contact positioning and technics, and post contact positioning and technics. Pre contact positioning and technics are the positioning and technics before the contact or confrontation. post contact positioning and technics are the positioning and technics after the contact or confrontation.

The example for pre contact positioning and technics is:
one decides to confront the opponent at his left side (postioning) with Pak Da ( technics).

The example for post contact positioning and technics is:
after one landed in the left side of the opponent and executing Pak Da, a situation exist where the momentum of both party influence each other; and adaptation needs to be made to complete the execution.

the pre contact positioning and technics in general refer to as closing the gap attack. where the post contact positioning and technics in general refer to continous attack to finish up the execution, or to change to recover from one's previous mistake.

in general, pre contact positioning deal with predictive estimation, while post contact positioning deal with sensing and adaptation.

Particulaly, in Wing Chun, the Wooden dummy practice reveal different types of strategy which includes the pre contact positioning and technics and post contact positioning and technics. Chisau in WCK is a drill for the advantage of the post contact positioning and technics execution.

one needs both the pre and post positioning and technics training, in order to be able to handle the minimum of confrontation.

In general,
Different type of martial art has different type of uniqueness in technics, force vector and momenutm handling which influencing the positioning and strategy taken.

A wrestle, a Boxer, a Shao liner , a Taiji guy, a Bjj guy, develop different type of unique technics , force vector, and momentum handling strength which influencing their choice of positioning, and the strategy taken.

In Wing Chun,
Snake and Crane are the uniquenes of WCk technics, force vector and momentum handling, which influencing the positioning and technics of the strategy or tactic realization.

so, What does snake and crane means?

Snake is just a symbol, it means adaptive and accurate fine alignment ability.

As an illustrate example, a robotic arm with only a single joint is not adaptive and it has coarse in aligment. it has to make big movement, big displacement, and long time to perform a task such as --- back off one inch and then strike the target one inch to the left after the back off.

while a robotic arm with six joints will adaptively accurately and take much less time to perform the ---- back off one inch and strike the target one inch on the left after the back off.

Similarly, Snake in WCK means that function capability of the multiple joints robotic hand. This type of machine is also refer to as the Snake engine.

Same with snake, crane is just a symbol, it means instantaneous applied power capability.

As an illustrate example, using the same six joints robotic arm, instantaneous applied power means, one can applied torque in any of the six joints or all joints at the same time.

Thus, the fusion of the snake's adaptive and accurate fine alignment ability and the crane's instantaneous applied power capability yield the uniqueness of force vector/power and momentum handling ability. Which is refer as the Wing Chun inch or short jin.

With the Wing Chun short power as the platform, it give birth to the snake reel technics such as wrap, trap, hold, and grap , the glappling type of technics ; and the crane withstand technics such as withstand, bounce, split, and pulse, the strike type of technics.

this platform also give birth to both the full body power which is refer to big jin and localization power which is refer to small jin. And, also the ability to do force vectors balancing handling via visualization.

The above characteristic provide WCK the ability to sense, stick, adapt, freeze, disrupt, and strike. To realize the concept of

"Avoid strong point attack weak spot can be analogy as the snake . When it was attacked on the head, it avoids the head attack and counter with its tail. When it was attacked on the tail. It avoids the tail attact and counter with its head. When it was attacked on the stomach. It avoids the stomach and counter with both the head and tail. WCK is using "borrow force to destroy force, close body stick reeling, inch power" to realize the principle of avoid strong point attack weak spot."

In WCK these snake and crane are introduced and developed in the Siu lin Tau set as the foundation of the WCK. That is the uniqueness of WCK which is different then other styles of TCMA.

LoneTiger108
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Why do I understand this stuff more now than before Hendrik??

Good post and a very interesting view point :)

Thanks for sharing

Hendrik
07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Why do I understand this stuff more now than before Hendrik??

Good post and a very interesting view point :)

Thanks for sharing

because you have turn into another Vampire. hahaha

nasmedicine
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
because you have turn into another Vampire. hahaha

LOL, the YKT transforms one into a vampire "children of the night". :-D. All kidding aside very good post. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us.

taai gihk yahn
07-02-2012, 02:51 PM
The fifth layer of YKT is The force vector/ momentum handling, and basic core martial application tactic characteristic layer. This is the layer makes it a martial art. etc.

Hendrick - in all good faith, and not trying to bait you at all - while it all sounds very good, at what point might there be the opportunity for u, or one of ur students at least, to demonstrate these principles in a "live" situation (meaning against a skilled, resisting opponent)? I mean, it's all well and good, but I think that one must admit that, if one is talking about practical application in a martial context, unless one can make it work according to these principles, there's really not much to it, right? since you are teaching it, I would assume that you can demonstrate it; of course, we all know that it's possible to be a great couch without being a good fighter, so I'll give you that, in which case perhaps one of your students might be able to demonstrate it; it doesn't have to be an all out, drag down scenario - just non-choreographed interaction between two people - preferably one from your system working w someone from another approach, so there's not conditioned response; do you think you could create an opportunity for something like that to be put on video so we all could see how these principles manifest in practice?

Hendrik
07-02-2012, 02:52 PM
LOL, the YKT transforms one into a vampire "children of the night". :-D. All kidding aside very good post. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us.

you are welcome!

one needs to become a vampire to travel back to 1850. hahaha

Hendrik
07-02-2012, 02:57 PM
hopefully, with this one, the youtube, and other YKT writting. a good picture is presented to those who is interested in the YKT educational process.

all these are basic.

desertwingchun2
07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
since you are teaching it, I would assume that you can demonstrate it; of course, we all know that it's possible to be a great couch without being a good fighter, so I'll give you that, in which case perhaps one of your students might be able to demonstrate it; it doesn't have to be an all out, drag down scenario - just non-choreographed interaction between two people - preferably one from your system working w someone from another approach, so there's not conditioned response; do you think you could create an opportunity for something like that to be put on video so we all could see how these principles manifest in practice?

Let me know when this happens

Hendrik
07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Hendrick - in all good faith, and not trying to bait you at all - while it all sounds very good, at what point might there be the opportunity for u, or one of ur students at least, to demonstrate these principles in a "live" situation (meaning against a skilled, resisting opponent)?

I mean, it's all well and good, but I think that one must admit that, if one is talking about practical application in a martial context, unless one can make it work according to these principles, there's really not much to it, right?

since you are teaching it, I would assume that you can demonstrate it; of course, we all know that it's possible to be a great couch without being a good fighter, so I'll give you that, in which case perhaps one of your students might be able to demonstrate it;

it doesn't have to be an all out, drag down scenario - just non-choreographed interaction between two people - preferably one from your system working w someone from another approach, so there's not conditioned response; do you think you could create an opportunity for something like that to be put on video so we all could see how these principles manifest in practice?

didnt all WCners who practice WCK from authentic lineages practise these since we all do wooden dummy ? i am not exclusive.

I am just sum up the key points on what the WCners practice, nothing special.

it is ok for you to not recognized it since you are not a WCner.

here is an example if you like to see and observe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9VH00NYAZg

another example at 24.17 and continous, and 35.3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKDXZTwrKE&feature=related

isnt these clips above show the practice of

"strategy, pre positioning and technics, post positioning and technics, snake and crane" as summary in YKT layer 5, repeatablely again and again?

I welcome those who is interested, to observe, is the summary above, really applied in the sparing or fighting situation?

Hendrik
07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
WCK short power or inch power is needed for quick force vector and momentum handling.

An example to illustrate the short power is the shifting of gear in a sport car. Where one mechanical gear set shift up or down to another gear set flawlessly in no time to support the driving.

short power is needed because in order to take advantage or handle a situation; one doesnt have too much time or too much space to response; one needs to response in the minimum time and minimum position change or displacement to not loose the momentum and timing.

Thus, the sensing, receiving, locking, and issuing needs to happen at the same time or nearly the same time on the spot. that is needed to support the " borrow force to destroy force" concept of WCK.

The short power of Wing Chun is developed via force line type of power generation with visualization to micro align the physical structure for force vector handling. That is the key in Slow Siu Lin Tau practice and or Standing post practice; where force vector distribution is handled via visualization with minimum physical movement. And these practice must be supported by the other four layers. every of these supporting layers contribute a significant to the ability of short power handling.

Thus, the " snake and crane" concept and technology as discribe above is critical to unlock the short power development within the practice of siu Lin tau. Failing to use the force line type of power generation will default into the body type, where applied force from the large movement of the body with rooting to the ground and forcing the hip in large movement , this will not develop the short power of WCK .