PDA

View Full Version : Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu

MonkeySlap Too
08-27-2001, 09:18 PM
Hmm, the first CMA style I ever saw was called Chi-Lin. Then I saw another school, a hung gar school called Chi-lin.

But neither of these were like any Hakka boxing I've ever seen.

What is the hakka Chi-lin system? Is it in the same family as SPM, Bak Mei and Lung?

Just curious...

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Self-Thinking Follower
08-28-2001, 02:28 AM
I've only seen a bit of it and it was done at such close range that I could'nt really describe it except to say it was like the sucking in of SPM and the participants stuck together very tightly. I believe they where practicing pre-arranged drills but I cant say for sure.

I've come across one individual, Patrick Hodges of Hawaii who I believe also does this system, his mother was Hakka. I dont know of any one else. I did hear that there once was an article on this system but dont know if it was in chinese or english. Sorry STF

FIRE HAWK
11-02-2001, 06:31 AM
What is this style called Hakka Chi Lin style ?

Crimson Phoenix
11-02-2001, 08:35 PM
It's Hakka unicorn style (well, qi lin isn't really a unicorn, but that's how it is translated most of the time)...I can't help you more...

FIRE HAWK
04-26-2002, 10:46 PM
Does anybody know anything about the history of the Hakka Unicorn style kung fu and i dont mean the Unicorn dance the Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu style is what i am talking about ?

FIRE HAWK
04-29-2002, 09:48 PM
In Honolulu , we also do the unicorn dance , clubs .Clubs like the Chinese Physical Culture Association ( Jung Moo Tai Ouk Oui) in Honolulu .The unicorn dance ,if you did'nt know,came with it's own system of self defense.It's called the unicorn dance.Which is a close range type of fighting method.When the unicorn dance is being performed , it as it's own footwork and stances.In self defense situations the footwork is to trap the opponents leg,while the unicorn practitioner can move in and overcome the opponent.The system has it's own chi kung exercises too.It's a rare form of kung fu , the man who teaches it don't teach any more .

If I'm not mistaken the unicorn bows forward like a lion.But when bowing backwards,it moves in a circular motion.
But go and visit the lion dance web site , it's filled with information on lion ,dragon,peyau ( round face lion ),northern lion,and so forth.Take Care

Sil Lum Kuen
P.S. Although , I'm not from the Chinese Physical Culture Association.I'm with another kung fu / lion dance club in Hawaii.Bye.

once ronin
04-30-2002, 10:12 AM
what is hakka?

FIRE HAWK
04-30-2002, 04:45 PM
A chinese people that ruled during the Ming Dynasty who were overthrown by the Ching and then they went to south china and other places in china .

once ronin
04-30-2002, 08:57 PM
i thought the members of the ming royalty were of hans?

mkim680
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this style? I was reading a little about it and it seems really similar to wing chun, bak mei, and souther mantis. Any practitioners in here want to shed some light and give some background on this style. I am really curious to see how it differs from the other mentioned southern styles.

thanks

rogue9915
07-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Hakka is a generic term for a certain style of arts. I think it means "guest" as the Hakka people were migratory. A lot of the Southern styles are Hakka; Lung Ying, Pak Mei and Chow Gar to name a few. Not sure about Wing Chun. It is a Southern, close range style (like the others mentioned) but I don't know if it is a Hakka style.

David Jamieson
07-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Hakka are non Han Chinese from the south.

taai gihk yahn
07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Has anyone ever heard of this style? I was reading a little about it and it seems really similar to wing chun, bak mei, and souther mantis. Any practitioners in here want to shed some light and give some background on this style. I am really curious to see how it differs from the other mentioned southern styles.

thanks
there r no such things as unicorns in Chinese mythology - what u r talking about is a "qilin" (in Japanese, "kirin")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

it's just another typical way of elevating a given style from being called something like "stuff we do in our village", to a more mystical pedigree

sanjuro_ronin
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
t
it's just another typical way of elevating a given style from being called something like "stuff we do in our village", to a more mystical pedigree

This, THIS and MORE THIS !!!!

David Jamieson
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
This, THIS and MORE THIS !!!!

^This.

AM I DOIN IT RITE?

once ronin
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
The 2 characters does stand for Guest Family.

History used this term but refered this group as out siders.

At one time this group like many up northern lived in a housing type enviroment known as a hutong.

Up in norhtern china there are tourist who have interest in this type of culture take hu tong tours.

No sure which dynasty there was a hu tong that for some reason offended the goverment.

This group ran and start to live and hide in the mountains and always moving their settlement.

This the hakka idea.

once ronin
07-03-2012, 02:11 PM
This hakka people I dont means they are from the north.

I means to write they live in a clan like place just like the one movie Shaolin mantis, the tien clan.

mooyingmantis
07-03-2012, 05:37 PM
there r no such things as unicorns in Chinese mythology

That's correct! They all live in my backyard. :)

David Jamieson
07-04-2012, 04:59 AM
That's correct! They all live in my backyard. :)

Dunno about that, I have a set of four that performs as the rainbow **** squad on a regular basis.

Ng Jit
07-05-2012, 03:26 AM
From what I have seen most of the Hakka Kung Fu is similar. As far as words and names I tend to get very confused most of the time. I practice Southern Praying Mantis which partly is Hakka. When you get into the history it is almost like a Wuxia Novel.

In Jook Lum Tong Long Pai they celebrate with a Unicorn dance (similar to the lion but a different beast entirely). The man who taught me Chuka told me he was given the choice between learning the Lion Dance or the Unicorn dance. Here is a video of a jook lum unicorn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHK9IopVevU

I also learned (years ago) a Lao Gar form that utilized “Unicorn Stepping”. Sometimes translations from Chinese to English especially the very specialized Kung Fu Chinese language, seem to be more like slang. When I lived in Singapore my Cantonese and Mandarin tutor caught on that I had learned what he called “Kung Fu talk".

Regardless I am no expert on the Chinese language, but when it comes to these names often they are a convenient word thrown in there to explain a concept. Does a Chinese Lion dance Lion look like a real lion? What the hell is a Fu Dog?

As far as Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu goes I have never heard of it. But there are a great many things I have not heard of LOL. One possible explanation is in the way schools often name themselves. It could be a Hakka basted school that uses Unicorn stepping or some other unicorn form that is actually a part of a system...

I hope this helps...

lance
07-12-2012, 06:29 PM

thanks Yes , I learned the unicorn style , it contains 1 - chi kung set , and 1 - set for fighting , but the moves vary . The sifu who taught me this style is very fast and speedy , than me . It ' s interesting , how you found a book on the unicorn style . If you know a Ralph Shun , he pretty much know the unicorn style , it was brought to hawaii by a sifu named wong jook fut , who is deceased already , but he ' s the one that taught the unicorn style . The reason why it ' s called the unicorn style is because , the stances and footwork are characteristics of the unicorn style . Actually the stance and footwork is design to lock and trap the leg of the opponent as you close the gap on him . The right index and middle finger together blocks the left punch of the opponent , and just incase the right hand misses the left hand punch by the attacker , your left hand is in a cross pak sao type of move to the right . From there your left hand is in a eagle claw type of grabbing position , the right hand in a close fist type of position which can be used to scrape the opponents body or to strike down on the opponents back or can be changed into an uppercut . There is also a phoenix eyes fist strike to the groin area , a open hand block done with the right hand , and a low kick to the mid section area of the opponent . And the last move is a right open hand block which begins from the right side eye level and the movement slashes down the right side area of the right waist area . When ending move is when your body shifts to the left side with your left hand in a wu sao type of hand movement lik ein wing chun .

You can PM me if you want to know more .

bai she
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Does anybody know if it's still being taught in the U.S.? If so who? Any videos? Not much info out there.

ngokfei
03-24-2013, 10:04 PM
where was it being taught and by who?

Kellen Bassette
03-25-2013, 05:51 AM
I don't know if it's Hakka or not, but I've come across this guy in my web travels before.

http://chi-lin.net/what%20is%20Chi%20Lin.htm

A Master Decker, that used to teach Chi Lin, (Unicorn) Kung Fu. I believe some of his students still teach.

I noted that in his early days he referred to his art as "Kempo." This is often indicative that the core is not Chinese material, but I am unfamiliar with him, his style or students, so I couldn't say.

bai she
03-25-2013, 05:59 AM
I don't believe this is the same system. I heard it was from Hawaii and the man who brought it there was Wong jut fatt. Other then him there is very little info and appears to be a closed system still. I know there are some old threads on this forum but those that had some knowledge haven't responded to my inquiries. I was hoping there might be video or knowledge of current teachers.

Kellen Bassette
03-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of different styles out there with the same name...it can be tough finding anything out about the obscure systems...good luck with your search!

Golden Arms
03-25-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't know if it's Hakka or not, but I've come across this guy in my web travels before.

http://chi-lin.net/what%20is%20Chi%20Lin.htm

A Master Decker, that used to teach Chi Lin, (Unicorn) Kung Fu. I believe some of his students still teach.

I noted that in his early days he referred to his art as "Kempo." This is often indicative that the core is not Chinese material, but I am unfamiliar with him, his style or students, so I couldn't say.

That is most certainly not what the OP was looking for. I will just leave it at that.

Kellen Bassette
03-25-2013, 09:35 AM
That is most certainly not what the OP was looking for. I will just leave it at that.

Sorry I was unfamiliar with the system and just remembered having seen this style of the same name. Thought it may be helpful. No intent to offend any system or lineage. :)

GeneChing
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
We just ran an article on Hakka Kei Luen (Kejia Qilin). See Qilin: Kung Fu's Other Martial Dance By Williy Pang (March/April 2013 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1082)).

See? It pays to subscribe (http://www.martialartsmart.com/19341.html). :cool:

See also our thread on the topic: Chi Lin (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46883)

bai she
03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
I would have thought some old members might want to add their input. Maybe they are not here anymore.

TenTigers
03-26-2013, 06:54 PM
They still have an active Kei-lun at the dai pun association in NY Chinatown.

bai she
03-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Ten tigers thanks! I'll look into it.

lance
04-25-2013, 10:30 PM
I don't believe this is the same system. I heard it was from Hawaii and the man who brought it there was Wong jut fatt. Other then him there is very little info and appears to be a closed system still. I know there are some old threads on this forum but those that had some knowledge haven't responded to my inquiries. I was hoping there might be video or knowledge of current teachers.

bai she , you ' re right , there was a sifu named Sifu Wong Jook fut who was teaching in Hawaii until he passed away . It ' s very interesting how kung fu/ Tai Chi magazine had featured an article concerning Hakka Unicorn Style Kung fu .

I know the sifu who preserved this particular style of kung fu , this style features 1 - chi kung set , which leads into 1 - set . But it ' s pretty much a close range style of kung fu with very fast lightinging strikes to certain parts of the human body , I was lucky to have learned the style too myself . Because the sifu who taught this style to me was very speedy too .

But the way I learned this style is very different from the way the photos in the kung fu / tai chi magazine featured the moves . The main reason why it was called unicorn style was because the footwork that the style used was unicorn footwork , which is being used in those unicorn dances . The footwork was design to lock up the opponents footwork when comming into contact with the opponent themselves .

Take Care ,
Lance

David Jamieson
04-26-2013, 06:59 AM

Well if you won't tell him, I will. :)

From that site:

Chi Lin Chuan Fa was what he taught in Morgantown, West Virginia during the mid to late 1970's. The animal styles of Tiger. Crane, Leopard, Monkey, Butterfly, Dragon and Snake, just to name a few, make up this style. The art was changing, as he grew older and his perceptions about his movement, body alignment and power changed. In 1978 he began calling his art, Chi Ling Pai Gung Fu

ergo...this is not hakka unicorn style at all.

bai she
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
bai she , you ' re right , there was a sifu named Sifu Wong Jook fut who was teaching in Hawaii until he passed away . It ' s very interesting how kung fu/ Tai Chi magazine had featured an article concerning Hakka Unicorn Style Kung fu .

I know the sifu who preserved this particular style of kung fu , this style features 1 - chi kung set , which leads into 1 - set . But it ' s pretty much a close range style of kung fu with very fast lightinging strikes to certain parts of the human body , I was lucky to have learned the style too myself . Because the sifu who taught this style to me was very speedy too .

But the way I learned this style is very different from the way the photos in the kung fu / tai chi magazine featured the moves . The main reason why it was called unicorn style was because the footwork that the style used was unicorn footwork , which is being used in those unicorn dances . The footwork was design to lock up the opponents footwork when comming into contact with the opponent themselves .

Take Care ,
Lance

LANCE,

Is there any more about the system toucan share?

Firehawk4
06-27-2016, 11:45 PM
I have some old video tapes of the Hakka unicorn style that I got from a guy in Hawaii years ago .I remember some of the system but ill have to look at the video tapes to see whats on them there also was a article on the system.

gojumaster
07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Sifu Tyler Rea is teaching some elements of this art on www.TambuliMedia.com. Look under the Chinese Arts section.