PDA

View Full Version : ABMVT Compilation clip

sihing
07-04-2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ssy8vMKb48&feature=youtu.be

Just a clip I put together of some recent events in the ABMVT world. The last scene, the one with "We don't do Seminars", was just this last May in NY.

Enjoy:)

James

nasmedicine
07-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Just a clip I put together of some recent events in the ABMVT world. The last scene, the one with "We don't do Seminars", was just this last May in NY.

James

Good foot work!

Wayfaring
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM

James

Thx James. I like the clips. To me it's a real unique approach - just show a video log of what you guys are doing all year in a compilation with cool music - get togethers, interviews, etc. So much better than the stupid one step self defense teaching videos which are so boring.

I like what Ernie's doing as an approach too - with the no seminars and just his overall flavor. Kind of more of a modern coach rather than traditional. It's great and refreshing. And Ernie's balance and footwork are always commendable.

sihing
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
What I really appreciate as well is the truth about it all. At the beginning of the clip E talks about Honesty. Are you training in MA to be a bully fighter, to prove your manhood vs someone else, or r u just looking to train in something that can provide some skills that help you out when you really need it. Now for me it's not even any of those reason, it's just the simple fact that I like training in the method and teaching it too.

Does anyone ever participate in anything they do not like doing? No we don't, so lets be honest about it then go from there.

Yeah, Ernie always is in tip top shape and skill, he inspires me to continue to improve, even though I'm not as intense about it as he is. It's not always like that with some instructors or coach's, as the tendency is to rest of their laurels and stop researching and developing themselves and what they are training in.

It all comes down to each individuals interest level, and what they want out of it. If you want to be a "fighter" take up boxing and MMA, you'll fight in those methods for sure. After u go thru that stage, try some VT as it still can give u some realizm without the hassle of injuries and black eyes after each class :)

J

Graham H
07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Excellent! No funny arm glue, leaning, topsy turvy, wrong directional Ving Tsun in that clip!!

....a refreshing change to the normal tripe that is put on this forum! It's a shame there aint more Ernie Barrios's in the world of Ving Tsun. I haven't spoke to Ernie for a while and I know he doesn't bother with this yellow custard forum much anymore but if you are looking in I hope you are well dude. Keep up the good work! ;)

G

rogerlee36
07-05-2012, 09:50 AM
So they say they don't do seimnars... by showing clip of a seminar.... :confused:

Is this the same guy who leave Gary Lam because he said Gary's skill was too bad as he got old?

Then again, with the movie of Gary in europe getting hit by the young leung ting guy maybe he is right

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2012, 09:52 AM

James

It would be nice to see some actual fighting in there, one day ;)
All in all not bad ( though not my cup of tea).
Don't like the music though, but that's just me.
I do like the what was being said though, but it didn't seem to be translated into what was being done...

nasmedicine
07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
What I really appreciate as well is the truth about it all. At the beginning of the clip E talks about Honesty. Are you training in MA to be a bully fighter, to prove your manhood vs someone else, or r u just looking to train in something that can provide some skills that help you out when you really need it. Now for me it's not even any of those reason, it's just the simple fact that I like training in the method and teaching it too.

Does anyone ever participate in anything they do not like doing? No we don't, so lets be honest about it then go from there.

Yeah, Ernie always is in tip top shape and skill, he inspires me to continue to improve, even though I'm not as intense about it as he is. It's not always like that with some instructors or coach's, as the tendency is to rest of their laurels and stop researching and developing themselves and what they are training in.

It all comes down to each individuals interest level, and what they want out of it. If you want to be a "fighter" take up boxing and MMA, you'll fight in those methods for sure. After u go thru that stage, try some VT as it still can give u some realizm without the hassle of injuries and black eyes after each class :)

J

Stonecrusher69 has met with E sometime back in NY and and from my conversation with him, he was impressed by his speed and power not to mention his tactical knowledge of fighting in general.

sihing
07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I do like the what was being said though, but it didn't seem to be translated into what was being done...

I have a private video of a George St Pierre seminar from a few years ago, it was right after he lost his belt. One of my former students and his partner put on the seminar. It was a packed event.

There was no fighting in the seminar, just instruction and training. Isn't GSP considered one of the pound for pound best fighters in MMA??

So I guess if it's good enough for him to run his "training camps" this way, a recognized fighter in today's society, Ernie can get away with it too eh Paul:D

Every MA "seminar" that I've gone to from recognized guys, it was mostly them talking us listening, not much learned. The idea here with a "training camp" approach is learning thru experience, yes there is a dialogue, but more learning is done thru doing than listening. When Ernie was here in Tbay, there was a substancial improvement in my guys skills and that was within a 24hr period. For me that's proof enough:)

J

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I have a private video of a George St Pierre seminar from a few years ago, it was right after he lost his belt. One of my former students and his partner put on the seminar. It was a packed event.

There was no fighting in the seminar, just instruction and training. Isn't GSP considered one of the pound for pound best fighters in MMA??

So I guess if it's good enough for him to run his "training camps" this way, a recognized fighter in today's society, Ernie can get away with it too eh Paul:D

Every MA "seminar" that I've gone to from recognized guys, it was mostly them talking us listening, not much learned. The idea here with a "training camp" approach is learning thru experience, yes there is a dialogue, but more learning is done thru doing than listening. When Ernie was here in Tbay, there was a substancial improvement in my guys skills and that was within a 24hr period. For me that's proof enough:)

J

Have you seen the GSP "compilations"?
They all have fighting in them ( except for the ones making fun of his talking of course).
A compilation is usually the best of or a highlight reel of various things to showcase something, in this case your MA and MA training, right?
So why NOT include some actual fighting?
I have no doubt you guys fight and spar, just don't know why you wouldn't show them in a compilation, that's all.

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
By the way, a seminar is NOT a training camp.
I've done both and seminars never include fighting ( though some may include light sparring and rolling), but training camps ALWAYS do.
At least the ones I've been too.

sihing
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Ok I guess you didn't see the first part of the clip.

What was E trying to say there. For me he's talking about regular guys, trying to develop something somewhat useful for something totally unexpected.

In my experience in VT and this method, the first thing one must develop is the skill set. Sparring right off the bat, without even a trace of this skill set will lead to nothing. The skill set is not easy to learn, so until there is a basic level of proficiency with that skill set no one is going to be sparring, at least that is how I do it, and my guys are way below the skill level of the guys Ernie trains in LA.
Whenever I go there I get my ass kicked, and that is within the randomness of some of the drills we do (we VT spar in the lop drill).

For me I've learned that VT is a development tool only. Once the tools/skill set is develop it should be taken out and tested, this is sparring (which in and of itself is a drill too, just a more random one). The sparring part IMO is the responsibilty of the individual practitioner. I teach them the skill set, that's it. One of my guys, who hasn't been with my too long, just related an experience he had last week, where he had to spar with a black belt, then with a black belt and green belt at the sametime (he's in the reserves, so I think this was part of their training regemend). He commented to me how well his VT tools aided him in that experience. Now I have no idea of the skill level of the other guys he sparred with, only that he is a so so skill level guy in my class with lots to learn and absorb. So something must be going right if it worked for this guy, so early on in his training.

Now I agree if you really want to be a good "fighter" training as realistically as you can is the only way to achieve that, sparring is the key that brings it all together. For me and my guys (most of which are unable to handle any type of hard contact due to physical situations) sparring is not a regular thing we do, it's all skill set development. If they are sparring with others outside of class go for it. One of my younger guys, the most talented of the group did this and had no problems handling himself, he did this on his own, telling me about it after the fact.

We aren't fighters, just guys practicing something they enjoy participating in. To each their own, if you want to fight go to a boxing or MMA gym.

As for the "Training camp" vs "Seminar" terminology, who cares, if that is a bother then what can I say??

Also, the compilation clip was a bunch of clips I sliced together of some of the activities that have happened in the ABMVT world, I didn't film the clips, nor was I present at any of these events, so for all I know, after the camera was put away, all hell broke loose.

J

GlennR
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM

C'mon, rage against the machine not your thing?
Youre not the angry young man i thought you were ;)

I found the clip a bit odd, not criticising, just a bit odd.
Last 4 minutes were ok, though did just keep showing the same thing, but the middle couple of minutes seemed like one of those "infomercials" you see late at night on TV
Each to their own i guess with that

And whats the problem with seminars??

k gledhill
07-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Nice clip, YM/WSL movement.

sihing
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
C'mon, rage against the machine not your thing?
Youre not the angry young man i thought you were ;)

I found the clip a bit odd, not criticising, just a bit odd.
Last 4 minutes were ok, though did just keep showing the same thing, but the middle couple of minutes seemed like one of those "infomercials" you see late at night on TV
Each to their own i guess with that

And whats the problem with seminars??

Hi Glen,

It was my first attempt putting a compilation together. I wanted to mix a bit of the philosophy behind the ABMVT and mix it with some action. I believe the first part of the clip where Ernie is talking about the "surviving rather than winning", that was around the time the Secret came out so maybe that inspired him to do something similiar in how it looked. I don't know for sure, he just sent me and some of the boys that clip years ago and I thought I would add it in. Seminars= too much talking by coach, too much listening by group, Training Camp = more activity more learning. Our way of training is modeled after boxing, more of a coach and group mentality, not sifu/student/robot modeled. The whole idea is to just share. I have tons of clips, I don't share it all, these are just a small few.

Thanks Kev, Graham:)

J

GlennR
07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi Glen,

It was my first attempt putting a compilation together. I wanted to mix a bit of the philosophy behind the ABMVT and mix it with some action. I believe the first part of the clip where Ernie is talking about the "surviving rather than winning", that was around the time the Secret came out so maybe that inspired him to do something similiar in how it looked. I don't know for sure, he just sent me and some of the boys that clip years ago and I thought I would add it in. Seminars= too much talking by coach, too much listening by group, Training Camp = more activity more learning. Our way of training is modeled after boxing, more of a coach and group mentality, not sifu/student/robot modeled. The whole idea is to just share. I have tons of clips, I don't share it all, these are just a small few.

Thanks Kev:)

J

Fair enough Sihing, well put together ... cudos

Wayfaring
07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
The sparring part IMO is the responsibilty of the individual practitioner. I teach them the skill set, that's it. One of my guys, who hasn't been with my too long, just related an experience he had last week, where he had to spar with a black belt, then with a black belt and green belt at the sametime (he's in the reserves, so I think this was part of their training regemend). He commented to me how well his VT tools aided him in that experience. Now I have no idea of the skill level of the other guys he sparred with, only that he is a so so skill level guy in my class with lots to learn and absorb. So something must be going right if it worked for this guy, so early on in his training.

I don't know, man. Sparring is supposed to be where you put it all together. If you leave it up to beginners on their own to do that, I think they are missing a lot.

Plus, if you oversee it then you can keep them safe, geared up, in a controlled environment where everybody knows each other, and you won't have to resign yourself to secondhand anecdotes about your guys - you'll be in it with them.

All you have to do to start is bring a timer and designate one day a week in class as "live" night. Don't worry about the professionals or injured - some of them will surprise you. Also, you can control the levels to "light" to introduce them slowly to the concept of "live" training. Once they get into it for a few sessions they'll love it.

sihing
07-06-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't know, man. Sparring is supposed to be where you put it all together. If you leave it up to beginners on their own to do that, I think they are missing a lot.

Plus, if you oversee it then you can keep them safe, geared up, in a controlled environment where everybody knows each other, and you won't have to resign yourself to secondhand anecdotes about your guys - you'll be in it with them.

All you have to do to start is bring a timer and designate one day a week in class as "live" night. Don't worry about the professionals or injured - some of them will surprise you. Also, you can control the levels to "light" to introduce them slowly to the concept of "live" training. Once they get into it for a few sessions they'll love it.

I add allot of challenges and randomness in the drills, so it's not like they are always going thru pre arranged stuff all the time. The real problem is time. We only train 3X's a week, 6 hrs, and sometimes not all of them show up all the time,so it takes time for them to gain the skill set to a proficient degree.

I also try to show how the drills apply to real situations. So for e.g. in basic dan chi, fok outside tan, I have them go thru the drill then I say well this is basic position when you encounter say a jab and your on the outside of it striking (for fok sau guy), and then I have them throw jabs at one another while applying the basic idea of fok (which for us is a hitting cutting strike from outside the bridge). One could call this isolated sparring, but it's pretty controlled.

For my advanced guys if they are picking it up I tell the guy throwing shots to sometimes do a one two combo to mix it up, just to keep them aware of what can happen.

We do this once in awhile but they usually start messing up their body mechanics which if not checked can lead to bad habits. The drills correct the bad habits it's just a matter of getting their skills good enough to be able to do the other stuff with some sort of consistent skill. As their coach I've basically have to make the decision for them while the class is going on as to what they train, if they are having problems in the drills, sparring would only lead to more bad habits IMO, and since we are limited in our time together skill development is priority one for me (i guess in a way I'm a stickler for certain things).

The one young guy in class that started sparring other guys on his own, he would tell me about his experiences (second hand stories per say), and I would give advice but I told him to tape the sparring sessions so I could get a better idea of what was going on. The first few vids were ok, as he only had a few months of training under his belt (at that time he loved the Ip man movies and would hold his hands out there like Donnie did in the movie, his first big mistake). After sometime he sparred with the guys some more, and taped it, his confidence and skills were much better, his movement more natural, he had no problems with the guy anymore (wrestler striker type). So for that one it isn't second hand stories.

Hope you understand my meaning:)

J

Jim Roselando
07-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Hey Ernie,

Was there a sale at the Adidas store?

It's time for a new look. The whole "Sporty Spice" thing is getting old!

;)

Just kidding brother! Nice compilation!

Peace,
Jim

sihing
07-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Hey Ernie,

Was there a sale at the Adidas store?

It's time for a new look. The whole "Sporty Spice" thing is getting old!

;)

Just kidding brother! Nice compilation!

Peace,
Jim

Hey, once loyal, always loyal, at least that's what my Dad taught me.;)

The yellow jacket and no hat, that's the new look dude:confused::eek: before that it was all darks..:)

J

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi Glen,

Thanks Kev, Graham:)

J
I liked your clip my friend.
I was just pointing out that it was missing some sparring, that's all.
Next time include some parts of people eating fists and ALL will be right in the world, LOL !
;)

sihing
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I liked your clip my friend.
I was just pointing out that it was missing some sparring, that's all.
Next time include some parts of people eating fists and ALL will be right in the world, LOL !
;)

So you want to order up a knuckle sandwhich eh:) Okee dokee, will do if I ever produce a clip again:cool:

J

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
So you want to order up a knuckle sandwhich eh:) Okee dokee, will do if I ever produce a clip again:cool:

J

It's all I ever asked of "highlights" and "compilations".
You won't see me ask of it in terms of instuctionals or demos or seminars, that is not what they are for.
HOWEVER I do not see anything wrong with the maxim/mantra:
See it taught, see it fought

( made famous by the dog Brothers).

Wayfaring
07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I add allot of challenges and randomness in the drills, so it's not like they are always going thru pre arranged stuff all the time. The real problem is time. We only train 3X's a week, 6 hrs, and sometimes not all of them show up all the time,so it takes time for them to gain the skill set to a proficient degree.

I also try to show how the drills apply to real situations. So for e.g. in basic dan chi, fok outside tan, I have them go thru the drill then I say well this is basic position when you encounter say a jab and your on the outside of it striking (for fok sau guy), and then I have them throw jabs at one another while applying the basic idea of fok (which for us is a hitting cutting strike from outside the bridge). One could call this isolated sparring, but it's pretty controlled.

For my advanced guys if they are picking it up I tell the guy throwing shots to sometimes do a one two combo to mix it up, just to keep them aware of what can happen.

We do this once in awhile but they usually start messing up their body mechanics which if not checked can lead to bad habits. The drills correct the bad habits it's just a matter of getting their skills good enough to be able to do the other stuff with some sort of consistent skill. As their coach I've basically have to make the decision for them while the class is going on as to what they train, if they are having problems in the drills, sparring would only lead to more bad habits IMO, and since we are limited in our time together skill development is priority one for me (i guess in a way I'm a stickler for certain things).

The one young guy in class that started sparring other guys on his own, he would tell me about his experiences (second hand stories per say), and I would give advice but I told him to tape the sparring sessions so I could get a better idea of what was going on. The first few vids were ok, as he only had a few months of training under his belt (at that time he loved the Ip man movies and would hold his hands out there like Donnie did in the movie, his first big mistake). After sometime he sparred with the guys some more, and taped it, his confidence and skills were much better, his movement more natural, he had no problems with the guy anymore (wrestler striker type). So for that one it isn't second hand stories.

Hope you understand my meaning:)

J

Yes I understand. Your methods are pretty much completely in line with traditional WCK instruction. That's not bad. And you are watching videos and providing feedback on sparring sessions which is better than most traditional approaches.

I just think you and your guys would really enjoy gearing up and training live. 3 min. rounds. Match people up - have the first round light or touch only, and then say work it out with your partner for the rest of the rounds. If you are only meeting 3x per week you could make it 1/2 of one class per week to start - 1 hr or 45 min.

The annoying factor would be getting your guys to buy gear (I would go 4 oz mma gloves + mouthpiece + cup - that will preserve more wck movements). The benefit would be that once they get comfortable, they could attend open live sparring at any mma school in the surrounding areas with little to no apprehension at all. Or compete san da. Or a bunch of stuff. Increase self-confidence, decrease the mental gap between the mma meatheads and the over-analytic traditionalists.

I mean, just a thought and suggestion. I'm not criticizing at all, but just trying to help.

Graham H
07-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice clip, YM/WSL movement.

Y M/WSL/PB movement. Lets not beat around the bush eh?

Its amazing when you meet somebody that knows how all the pieces fit into place.

Of course its normal to put up a video and opinion to be divided. Thats what makes us human. If we didnt display a certain amount of individuality the we would all love the same woman or man in the case of Alan Orr. Wing Chun is so fickle and disorientated. The fact that we can share a view with somebody that we will never meet that totally lives in a different time zone is something awesome. We can also heckle people even though they may be tough. Something to be upbeat about. :)

GlennR
07-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Its amazing when you meet somebody that knows how all the pieces fit into place.

Of course its normal to put up a video and opinion to be divided. Thats what makes us human. If we didnt display a certain amount of individuality the we would all love the same woman or man in the case of Alan Orr. Wing Chun is so fickle and disorientated. The fact that we can share a view with somebody that we will never meet that totally lives in a different time zone is something awesome. We can also heckle people even though they may be tough. Something to be upbeat about. :)

Ahhhh Graham, charming as ever!

k gledhill
07-08-2012, 03:54 AM

:D like a jigsaw ;)