PDA

View Full Version : Chen Taiji 38

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2012, 08:12 AM
A friend of mine wants to teach me the Chen 38 ( Since I have no patience for the 108 I guess, LOL !).
Thoughts?
Maybe I should start with the 19 ?

ShaolinDan
07-05-2012, 12:19 PM
A friend of mine wants to teach me the Chen 38 ( Since I have no patience for the 108 I guess, LOL !).
Thoughts?

It's 18...and for me that's enough for now and has been for a few years already. Definitely good to learn some though. Learn some of the silk reeling too.

bawang
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
the 76 long form is divided into four parts. the sequence is pretty important because one move sets up the next. why dont you ask your friend to teach you the first section?

the first section is pound mortar, salute (tie coat), seal and close, single whip, pound mortar. beginners can repeat this in four directions, called "four gates boxing"

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
the 76 long form is divided into four parts. the sequence is pretty important because one move sets up the next. why dont you ask your friend to teach you the first section?

the first section is pound mortar, salute (tie coat), seal and close, single whip, pound mortar. beginners can repeat this in four directions, called "four gates boxing"

38 looks long enough !
LOL !

It's 18...and for me that's enough for now and has been for a few years already. Definitely good to learn some though. Learn some of the silk reeling too.
Thanks, 18, LOL !
I already picked up the silk reeling years ago but I was curious for a form to even out my "hard" stuff.
Sure I can always do the Iron wire in a "soft way" like some do, but I though a taiji form would be nice to know too.

bawang
07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
38 looks long enough !
LOL !

no man, just 5 moves. (i said 76 because chen style doesnt have 108)

i will send you speshul secrit video

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
no man, just 5 moves. (i said 76 because chen style doesnt have 108)

i will send you speshul secrit video

Cool and I though Chen did have a 108 form, the old chen...no?
Chen 19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNPs8kMhqw&feature=related

ShaolinDan
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM
38 looks long enough !
LOL !

Thanks, 18, LOL !
I already picked up the silk reeling years ago but I was curious for a form to even out my "hard" stuff.
Sure I can always do the Iron wire in a "soft way" like some do, but I though a taiji form would be nice to know too.

I think it's great compliment to other MA. Practicing taiji makes all your other skills better ('course like anything else, it's largely about the teacher). Still only want it to be a small part of my practice, at least for the next 20 years or so.

kuniggety
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM
There are very few standardized Chen forms since there is no real body overseeing it unlike the Yang style. So, you see lots of variations in the number counts of moves in the Chen forms. About the only standardized Chen form is the competition 56 move form which uh...takes a little bit to complete :)

bawang
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks, 18, LOL !

hellos, i found video of random guy on internet doing chen tai chi. i no know who it is. but he looks the very seksy with the big muskles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZU8LllOH8

its the beginning section of the long form, your friend can show ou exact details. it should be easy for you to learn. four techniques, four directions.

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2012, 05:56 AM
hellos, i found video of random guy on internet doing chen tai chi. i no know who it is. but he looks the very seksy with the big muskles.

its the beginning section of the long form, your friend can show ou exact details. it should be easy for you to learn. four techniques, four directions.

Good work dude.
Thanks for the info.

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2012, 06:25 AM

"His needs were few, his room was bare..."

http://tvhe.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/alg_sweeney_todd1.jpg

Scott R. Brown
07-06-2012, 08:39 AM
"His needs were few, his room was bare..."

And he still hasn't unpacked!

YouKnowWho
07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
I have condensed the 108 moves long Taiji form into 48 moves. There are a lot of redundent that you can take out.

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I have condensed the 108 moves long Taiji form into 48 moves. There are a lot of redundent that you can take out.

why bother? if u r practicing the form from a Taoist alchemical cultivation perspective, you shouldn't do that, because the sequence, including the redundancies, are important; OTOH, if u r practicing just the moves as such from a combat application perspective, then I think that it makes more sense just to take them individually, and train them like line-basics (before going to partnered practice, of course)

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
And he still hasn't unpacked!

well, I mean, can u blame him?

http://silverchips.mbhs.edu/tn/9790/200/0

Brule
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Thoughts?

And here comes the silk pajamas!!!!!!

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2012, 02:01 PM
And here comes the silk pajamas!!!!!!

hey, SJ promised he'd only wear those for me...:mad:

Hebrew Hammer
07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Seriously, could you imagine your shame trying to explain how you got your ass kicked fighting some old Chinese dude in silk pjs?

bawang
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
i would explain that i was trying to make the rape to him, and did not want to damage him.

why bother? if u r practicing the form from a Taoist alchemical cultivation perspective, you shouldn't do that, because the sequence, including the redundancies, are important; OTOH, if u r practicing just the moves as such from a combat application perspective, then I think that it makes more sense just to take them individually, and train them like line-basics (before going to partnered practice, of course)

right on mang.

the modern forms they are put together to look good. the traditional sequences have esoteric meaning and cultural value.

YouKnowWho
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM

It was not for me. It was for someone else. It was an interest task just to

- take a form apart,
- remove the redundency, and
- reconnect it back.

mawali
07-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Thoughts?

The form is usually secondary as long as one has learnt the jibengong (basics) and shenfa of a Chen style. I have been doing a 38 form for over 20 years and that is a main form I practice.

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2012, 04:58 PM
It was not for me. It was for someone else. It was an interest task just to

- take a form apart,
- remove the redundency, and
- reconnect it back.

fair enough;

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
. the traditional sequences have esoteric meaning and cultural value.

yup - it's why after you do "single whip" (or "elixir transformation" using hom0phone characters 丹 變), u do "Arhat pounding" - it's a Taoist alchemical principle of first cooking the ingredients and then pounding them into an "immortal pill"

another way is to look at single whip as an "opening' move, and "arhat pounding" as a closing one (or in case of Yang form, the watered-down equivalent of "strum pei pa", which is the first part of "arhat");

it all speaks to intrinsic body-spatial harmonic relationships derived from Taoist shamanic practice; of course, u don't have to subscribe to any of that, I'm just relating the "ancient" way of looking at it;

Scott R. Brown
07-06-2012, 05:34 PM
All this Arhat pounding talk is way too h0m0-erotica for me. :o

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2012, 05:59 PM
All this Arhat pounding talk is way too h0m0-erotica for me. :o
only real men pound the arhat...

kuniggety
07-06-2012, 09:57 PM
only real men pound the arhat...

I needz to get me some of this arhat.

SPJ
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Yes. We may condense more into about 36 postures.

Chen xiao wan did that.

:)

guy b.
08-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Thoughts?

Look to do a more direct method.

YouKnowWho
08-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Yes. We may condense more into about 36 postures.

Chen xiao wan did that.

:)

I'm talking about Yang/Chang Taiji and not Chen Taiji.

After removing all the redundency from the original 108 moves form, there are still 42 moves. If you only keep 36 moves, you will lose something.

1. Open position stance
2. diagonal fly
3. ward off
4. pull back
5. press forward
6. push
7. double pulling
8. single whip
9. defending hand
10. white crane flap wings

11. brush knee twist step
12. hand play lute
13. step out, deflect, grab and punch
14. apparently closing
15. well fed tiger going back to mountain
16. hammer under elbow
17. step back repluse monkey
18. high patting horse
19. separate leg
20. turn around hammer

21. vital punch
22. turn around heel kick
23. drop down hammer
24. block up
25. advance hammer
26. cloud hand
27. slam body down.
28. rooster stand on one leg
29. snake extend tone
30. needle at the bottom of the sea

31. shoulder extend to arm
32. fair lady work at shuttle
33. twin peaks to the ears
34. striking tiger
35. wide horse muffle mane
36. cross leg
37. fetching arm
38. step forward to 7 star
39. step back to ridding tiger
40. lotus kick

41. pull bow and shot arrow
42. close hand

SPJ
08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm talking about Yang/Chang Taiji and not Chen Taiji.

After removing all the redundency from the original 108 moves form, there are still 42 moves. If you only keep 36 moves, you will lose something.

1. Open position stance
2. diagonal fly
3. ward off
4. pull back
5. press forward
6. push
7. double pulling
8. single whip
9. defending hand
10. white crane flap wings

11. brush knee twist step
12. hand play lute