PDA

View Full Version : Spirit - Intensity

MightyB
07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Something dawned on me after nearly two decades of training... I've been merely performing forms. They looked good as I was able to perform them well, but they were lacking.

They didn't have enough shutspha... enough mayonnaise... enough of that tangy sweet hot sauce. They were too controlled - too close to trying to be perfect. I have to learn to let go.

In just a couple of days the forms I chose to do this with are dirtier. They have a little grit around the edges that makes them just a bit better for training.

My thought is, how can I dismiss their value if I'm just learning how to do them with spirit? :)

Lucas
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
i do forms a couple diff ways. i'll have a technical way where i am paying a lot of attention to form and detail, more controled and precise. then there are the times i just let it go. unleash the beast i like to say. i dont do a lot of forms now days, only a few, but for my hand sets that i still keep up with i also do what i call my 'street version' of the form. typically these ones are less for training the conditioning aspect of the forms, the exagerations are limited. such as the stances are higher, the guards are tighter, some of the kicks are lowered, etc. but i only do this way in beast mode lol. although its the same material i see them as different sets because of the emphasis. its more 'my form' its the same material essentially but im the only person in the world that does these sets just like this, because they are tailored to me specifically by me. i like to think they have been infused with my spirit, they just feel right. i guess other people do similar things, but i dont know. some people might think im b@stardizing my sets, but i dont really care. :D

YouKnowWho
07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
When I was young, I was the only student in my school who tried to "use every punch and every kick to kill." Oneday me teacher said, "You may kill yourself before you have chance to kill anybody".

One of my friends always "day dreaming" when he trained his form.

Either extream are not good.

bawang
07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Something dawned on me after nearly two decades of training... I've been merely performing forms.

a life wasted. *shake head

also, why it take you taht long? you have the fetal alcohol syndrome??

Hebrew Hammer
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Something dawned on me after nearly two decades of training... I've been merely performing forms. They looked good as I was able to perform them well, but they were lacking.

They didn't have enough shutspha... enough mayonnaise... enough of that tangy sweet hot sauce. They were too controlled - too close to trying to be perfect. I have to learn to let go.

In just a couple of days the forms I chose to do this with are dirtier. They have a little grit around the edges that makes them just a bit better for training.

My thought is, how can I dismiss their value if I'm just learning how to do them with spirit? :)

What's Shutspha??? Is that a combo of ****ty and chutzpah?

Grasshopper, you must focus...total concentwation.

EarthDragon
07-07-2012, 05:40 AM
they say forms are experssions of the soul, you can learn them like ditto, but eventually they will take on personal characteristics.
you have form then you eventually have formless form.
you should pratice them in different ways, and they should not look like your teachers or other students, the moves are the same obviously but your emphasis should be personal.. hope this helps