PDA

View Full Version : Test your Rooting

I hate censorship
09-10-2001, 03:08 PM
Test your Rooting

try this at home:
stand with your right shoulder and right foot against a wall (body perpendicular to the wall) sink your chi, and see if you can lift
your left foot (the one not against the wall) and hold it up for 5 seconds.

sounds easy; try it.

reeve80
09-11-2001, 05:47 AM
this doesn't work because of gravity, your shoulder comes out further than your foot, so if you do that your foot is under your should and not under you body so you have nothing supporting your body, so you fall over

Scarletmantis
09-11-2001, 08:06 AM
Supposedly Sun Lu Tang could do it, but who ever saw him? Can you do it Mac'? Having a strong root is important, but how is that exercise gonna help you fight? I guess being able to do the impossible could be useful... Where's my cape, Boy Wonder?

"Do not fight with another's bow and arrow. Do not ride another's war horse. Do not discuss another's faults. Do not interfere with another's work." -Ekai Mumon Roshi

taijiquan_student
09-13-2001, 05:50 AM
Sun Lu Tang didn't attribute this to a strong root. He said that it was because his body had no one center of gravity. A story, but it might be true.

David
09-13-2001, 12:24 PM
It would certainly be interesting if the taiji root worked like that - as in really sinking your weight.

Physics says no, however. Do people do it?

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Kristoffer
09-17-2001, 08:40 PM
uhmm, this is fun, but it is also impossible. :D

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"