PDA

View Full Version : 74 year old master

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCliek3Oqy4&feature=related

Yep...

And these old timers too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvEfQ8BCCs

(yes that is Tohyama sensei at the end again).

mawali
07-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I noticed that there was alot of static posture testing to see if structure is correct!

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I noticed that there was alot of static posture testing to see if structure is correct!

That is a very nice way of putting it !

Dale Dugas
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Uechi Ryu was my first Martial Art studied.

The intense training has been paying me dividends ever since.

Its also has a very South Mantis/Bak Mei/Wu Tsu Kuen frame without the Chinese power generating methods.

Our ancestor trained with a teacher named Chu in Fujian at the turn of the century. Simple Hakka like frame with a few forms and many drills.

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Uechi Ryu was my first Martial Art studied.

The intense training has been paying me dividends ever since.

Its also has a very South Mantis/Bak Mei/Wu Tsu Kuen frame without the Chinese power generating methods.

Our ancestor trained with a teacher named Chu in Fujian at the turn of the century. Simple Hakka like frame with a few forms and many drills.

While the original TCMA that GM Uechi studied is translated as Pangai-noon, there seems to be a very big SPM/Dragon/Pak mei influence.
I don't know if we well ever know the TCMA from which Uechi-ryu developed, but it is a facinating system.

bawang
07-20-2012, 08:20 PM
uechi ryu isnt missing the "special power generation". a lot of old fujian and zhejiang martial arts dont have any fancy power generation. lots of old styles use raw muscle power.

Scott R. Brown
07-20-2012, 08:48 PM
uechi ryu isnt missing the "special power generation". a lot of old fujian and zhejiang martial arts dont have any fancy power generation. lots of old styles use raw muscle power.

Or a weapon.