View Full Version : Yik Kam STL part 2 section 1 and 2

Hendrik
07-11-2012, 07:32 PM
here is a brief of the Yik Kam STL part 2 section 1 and 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-66CpoSP2_0

enjoy!

YouKnowWho
07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Do you truly believe that you can develop TCMA skill solo? Where is your "opponent"? Without "opponent", timing, opportunity, and angle will have no meaning.

nasmedicine
07-11-2012, 08:06 PM

enjoy!

Thanks Hendrik, good knowledge.

Hendrik
07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks Hendrik, good knowledge.

you are welcome,

that is to give a slight taste of our second part for those who have not seen the Yik Kam or Cho family set.

kung fu fighter
07-12-2012, 07:50 AM

enjoy!

This is really great Hendrik, thanks for posting

Hendrik
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
This is really great Hendrik, thanks for posting

your are welcome!

rogerlee36
07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Do you truly believe that you can develop TCMA skill solo? Where is your "opponent"? Without "opponent", timing, opportunity, and angle will have no meaning.

I like what sanots is presenting, but i would also like to see this too

Hendrik
07-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Every training has its purpose. Use training partner or not depend on what I am sharing. It is similar to writing one needs to follow the subject.

Up to now, I have not talked about combat applications but introduction to layers of WCK 1850 art basic to some degree of details.

JPinAZ
07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I couldn't watch the whole thing thru in it's entirety, it was far too boring for my tastes.

But, I wanted to give it a chance, so I skipped thru it and every time I stopped to watch and listen I saw the same thing - some guy standing with horrible root, feet together & toes out, showing a few simple hand techniques and not much else - no supporting concepts or theory.

Sorry, but what is this supposed to show, how bad he is as a teacher & practitioner?
I'm not trying to be negative either, I really can't see how this is is termed 'good knowledge' - it looked like a beginner trying to fumble thru the form for the first time just after learning it.
And he's supposed to be the lineage holder of this system?? :confused:

Hendrik
07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I couldn't watch the whole thing thru in it's entirety, it was far too boring for my tastes.

But, I wanted to give it a chance, so I skipped thru it and every time I stopped to watch and listen I saw the same thing - some guy standing with horrible root, feet together & toes out, showing a few simple hand techniques and not much else - no supporting concepts or theory.

Sorry, but what is this supposed to show, how bad he is as a teacher & practitioner?
I'm not trying to be negative either, I really can't see how this is is termed 'good knowledge' - it looked like a beginner trying to fumble thru the form for the first time just after learning it.

Thanks for your opinion.

Since it doesn't fit you, do not waste you time.

kung fu fighter
07-13-2012, 03:29 PM

How could you say this stuff if you never touched hands with him?

JPinAZ
07-13-2012, 03:43 PM

How could you say otherwise?? Why would I need to touch his hands to comment on what he did in the video when it's so painfully obvious just by watching it?

He did have his feet close together with his toes pointed out, he did have no root and was wobbly, he did just fumble thru his deomonstrations. He did babble on like a beginner mixing up the names of those techniques and at times seeming to not really know what he was even talking about (calling his elbow his shoulder). He did just talk about a few techniques and nothing much else (how long was the video??)

To me, he looked like either someone that was a beginner, has very little skill and understanding in his art, and/or has slipped slightly off his rocker. Sorry, but I would be embarrassed to call myself the gatekeeper of a lineage and present a 'clip' like this :eek:

Besides all of that, I've offered to meet with him several times since I am out in his area once or twice a year so I could see for myself - he turned me down.

Hendrik
07-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Jpinaz is correct. I am just a beginner according to him.

So, let life goes on. Letting things passed is a part of Wing Chun . Wing Chun uses energy effectively.

Wayfaring
07-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Besides all of that, I've offered to meet with him several times since I am out in his area once or twice a year so I could see for myself - he turned me down.

Hendrik,

What's your story on this? That's pretty extreme - another WCK family practitioner in your area asking to meet up and exchange ideas and you refusing?
You mad over postings on the internet?

Hendrik
07-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Hendrik,

What's your story on this? That's pretty extreme - another WCK family practitioner in your area asking to meet up and exchange ideas and you refusing?
You mad over postings on the internet?

1, There is no story needed.

USA is a free country to choose who one want to meet or not. not to mention I dont even aware of such request.

2, Everyone is free to post what they like under regulate by the Law.
This is a Youtube era of sharing to those who is interested.

Not to mention this forum is own by KF Magazine , and as soon as Gene approve it. that is the bottom line.

and also

I dont go to your HFY posting questioning your posting and commenting on your youtube on Garrett.

YouKnowWho
07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Too much emphasis on "solo" training is the major problem for TCMA today.

You will need to use your

- partner drills to "develop" your skill,
- sparring/wrestling to "test" your skill,
- equipment (weight) training to "enhance" your skill,
- solo drills to "polish" your skill.

Without first "developing" your skill, there is nothing to "polish".

Hendrik
07-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Too much emphasis on "solo" training is the major problem for TCMA today.

You will need to use your

- partner drills to "develop" your skill,
- sparring/wrestling to "test" your skill,
- equipment (weight) training to "enhance" your skill,
- solo drills to "polish" your skill.

Without first "developing" your skill, there is nothing to "polish".

John,

please start your own thread.

This thread is about a WCK set.

simple234
07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
is it the case then the whole set/3 sets is one long qigong form? that when we practice it with the 5 layers in mind, it is activating the body in different ways and when we become aware of all the meridians and their inter-connectedness, we can combine this with the intention/visualization to generate/handle different types of momentum? when the opponent generates momentum toward you, are you using visualization to dissipitate/break/etc it?

simple234
07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
hendrik, is this what the yik kam set you practice is like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWYIy06aW7c

Hendrik
07-15-2012, 09:31 PM
hendrik, is this what the yik kam set you practice is like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWYIy06aW7c

nope. this is a set made up by some one in the modern time. I guess , after 2000 by some one i know because I see his signature.

Hendrik
07-15-2012, 09:36 PM
is it the case then the whole set/3 sets is one long qigong form? that when we practice it with the 5 layers in mind, it is activating the body in different ways and when we become aware of all the meridians and their inter-connectedness, we can combine this with the intention/visualization to generate/handle different types of momentum? --------------

Qigong is a term made up by the Beijing tcm doctor in 1950.

The all WCK sets of 1850 has neigong which has all the five layers elements design in.

the five layers is only make one aware of what is designed in the set. one doesnt change the set but get to know the set better.

when the opponent generates momentum toward you, are you using visualization to dissipitate/break/etc it? ----------

nope. more complex then that. Human are physical beings, no visualization alone can handle momenctum.

stonecrusher69
07-15-2012, 09:40 PM

What one see and is, is not always the same thing..

JPinAZ
07-15-2012, 10:05 PM
What one see and is, is not always the same thing..

How can people even say this? So when he's standing with his feet together, heels out and his body wobbling around all while fumbling thru/misnaming his techniques and body parts like someone that's overly intoxicated, that's not what is really going on?
Please tell me why these things are clearly visible in the clip yet it's not really what's happening, cause I guess my eyes are playing tricks on me :confused:

stonecrusher69
07-15-2012, 10:21 PM
How can people even say this? So when he's standing with his feet together, heels out and his body wobbling around all while fumbling thru/misnaming his techniques and body parts like someone that's overly intoxicated, that's not what is really going on?
Please tell me why these things are clearly visible in the clip yet it's not really what's happening, cause I guess my eyes are playing tricks on me :confused:

one can look wobbling but in fact be in control..One example is the drunken style. My sifu at times looks off balance whenin fact he is in control. all one needs to do is try to push them over and you will see for your self. I have meet a few people who if you never touch their hands it would look what you think it looks like when in fact it is not. So yes,the eyes can be mislead sometimes. I dont need to look at the clip I've met and trained with Hendrik so i know whats what. Forget about what it looks like.

Hendrik
07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
one can look wobbling but in fact be in control..One example is the drunken style. My sifu at times looks off balance whenin fact he is in control. all one needs to do is try to push them over and you will see for your self. I have meet a few people who if you never touch their hands it would look what you think it looks like when in fact it is not. So yes,the eyes can be mislead sometimes. I dont need to look at the clip I've met and trained with Hendrik so i know whats what. Forget about what it looks like.

Try this , he is much much better then me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu7ZmN4-0Q0

This too,
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=qigong%20master%20projecting%20his%20chi%20energ y%20part%201&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dnu9 9GRUUN6Y&ei=Y6gDUNKvOci4rQG47q2xDA&usg=AFQjCNGGtlnfiE3XoV6FpapfPLOyYcu4PQ&sig2=_wXCPsF6v_ZWJsN6rcxjZg

Wobbling is the willow body, willow can face strong wind with ease while rooted tree uproot and break under strong wind, it is just a natural phenomenon.

Wing Chun 1850 the ladies art is not shaolin art which is compete and fighting strength with strength.

EternalSpring
07-15-2012, 11:00 PM

I can understand where you're coming from, but at the same time, I've noticed that some people who are famous for their Ving Tsun skills and whatnot have done some of the worst performances on video ever lol. I've come to the conclusion that either they're sparing details or they've just mastered the art to the point where they can express the energies even when it looks like they're sloppy. Personally, I think it's very rare to see a sifu on video who performs his forms/etc the very best he/she can (this is purely my opinion btw) .

Not saying that this applies to Hendrik specifically, but I'm sure it applies to a lot of Ving Tsun/Kung Fu/Martial arts videos and youtube clips.

nasmedicine
07-15-2012, 11:05 PM

Bottom line is there is a lot of people who are full of **** out there so you have every right to question what you feel is garbage. However, in the end it is just personal speculation. At the end of the day you have to touch hands with the person to find out for real. Perfect personal example is this one guy that many refer to as "Gumby" in Columbus park, Chinatown, NYC. This guy apparently didn't know a lick of kung fu before he started to play and mess around with alot of the guys to come to the park and train. After 4 years he developed his own style and now he is impossible to push over (well very very hard) all the while not using his hands at all. One day in really broken English he told me that he is actually an expert dancer (ball room, Tango... Etc) he said that everything he does is purely from his dancing background and things he tested in the park. Simply mind blowing. Unfortunately he hasn't developed it into a system that can be taught and replicated (this was 4 years ago). My point is that when I first saw him I honestly thought he was a joke. In fact alot of us at the park did, until we tried him out.

Hendrik
07-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I can understand where you're coming from, but at the same time, I've noticed that some people who are famous for their Ving Tsun skills and whatnot have done some of the worst performances on video ever lol. I've come to the conclusion that either they're sparing details or they've just mastered the art to the point where they can express the energies even when it looks like they're sloppy. Personally, I think it's very rare to see a sifu on video who performs his forms/etc the very best he/she can (this is purely my opinion btw) .

Not saying that this applies to Hendrik specifically, but I'm sure it applies to a lot of Ving Tsun/Kung Fu/Martial arts videos and youtube clips.

How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6aUkY-EqVQ

EternalSpring
07-15-2012, 11:11 PM
How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6aUkY-EqVQ

Honestly, I believe that most sifus at that level as Sifu Chu Shong Tin can do a form that most people would say is terrible but in reality it would be very powerful. The difference between them and noobs is that they understand and can generate the energy and power necessary while a less trained individual can still do their form sloppy and have no power behind it.

In a similar sense, there are times I spar or chi sao with my sifu and it seems like he's breaking all the Ving Tsun concepts, but he still owns me. I feel that the appearance isn't always indicative of the efficiency and power of a style, if it was, Ving Tsun would be one of the weakest styles ever because it certainly doesn't look powerful (imo) at the superficial level.

nasmedicine
07-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Honestly, I believe that most sifus at that level as Sifu Chu Shong Tin can do a form that most people would say is terrible but in reality it would be very powerful. The difference between them and noobs is that they understand and can generate the energy and power necessary while a less trained individual can still do their form sloppy and have no power behind it.

In a similar sense, there are times I spar or chi sao with my sifu and it seems like he's breaking all the Ving Tsun concepts, but he still owns me. I feel that the appearance isn't always indicative of the efficiency and power of a style, if it was, Ving Tsun would be one of the weakest styles ever because it certainly doesn't look powerful (imo) at the superficial level.

You my friend are very wise.

Hendrik
07-15-2012, 11:17 PM

This too. Looks falling a part right?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ip%20man%20chum%20kiu&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFQQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5dH UTM6ibOg&ei=sLADULPJDsbI2wW2usjJCw&usg=AFQjCNEV2R5codC_9absHOAKeeecd0J7Ag&sig2=v7SIAV5hIUrG5VMiKGBjXQ

Ihmo. The bottom line is bows , qi path , and jing path.
Who cares about looks, it is not shaws brother shaolin kungfu movies.
Not to mention WCK is not for macho look. All the chum kil or yik kam part 2 equivalent set has that willow body characteristic , this is not southern shaolin but wing Chun kuen.

EternalSpring
07-15-2012, 11:20 PM
You my friend are very wise.

Not really, I just say stuff that makes sense every now and then (if even that) :p

on a side note, I actually started looking into fut sao wing chun because of your sig and because one of the people i cross train with has a friend who trains fut sao wing chun. I'm totally trying to get him to invite his friend to training with us because the fut sao wing chun method (or at least the limited view i have on it from what i read) def seemed very interesting!

EternalSpring
07-15-2012, 11:27 PM
This too. Looks falling a part right?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ip%20man%20chum%20kiu&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFQQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5dH UTM6ibOg&ei=sLADULPJDsbI2wW2usjJCw&usg=AFQjCNEV2R5codC_9absHOAKeeecd0J7Ag&sig2=v7SIAV5hIUrG5VMiKGBjXQ

Ihmo. The bottom line is bows , qi path , and jing path.
Who cares about looks, it is not shaws brother shaolin kungfu movies.
Not to mention WCK is not for macho look. All the chum kil or yik kam part 2 equivalent set has that willow body characteristic , this is not southern shaolin but wing Chun kuen.

I agree that the looks shouldn't be the sole basis for judging kung fu, especially through a video. But at the same time, we all definitely value details in how a movement is performed. TBH, I enjoy watching your vids, so to bring up the snake engine video, I'd point out how you mentioned the differences between your view of the snake like movement in Yip Man Ving Tsun's Biu Jee (the up and down finger movement after the first punch) and the snake engine in Yik Kam lineage. Personally, I feel that the Yip Man Ving Tsun method still teaches what you mentioned about the Yik Kam lineage's snake engine, except that everything in our forms is done at the most subtle level possible and then expanded in time on the jong or in drills or sparring. But the point is that even you judged based on what you saw. It's just something we all do at times because on one hand, it does have value, but on the other hand looks can be deceiving.

nasmedicine
07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Not really, I just say stuff that makes sense every now and then (if even that) :p

on a side note, I actually started looking into fut sao wing chun because of your sig and because one of the people i cross train with has a friend who trains fut sao wing chun. I'm totally trying to get him to invite his friend to training with us because the fut sao wing chun method (or at least the limited view i have on it from what i read) def seemed very interesting!

You are wise because you are talking logically and without bias, you are able to comprehend a concept many aren't able to grasp on this forum. To make a quick correction the clips in my sig are not Fut Sao Wing Chun but rather it's my Sifu's system which he has coined Fut Hong in homage of our roots. But yeah if your ever in NJ come visit, all are welcome. LOL, it's funny cause I refer top our school as the roach motel. Most people I bring or those who visit never want to leave. If your in NY, stonecrusher69 is teaching Fut Sao there.

Hendrik
07-16-2012, 12:02 AM
I agree that the looks shouldn't be the sole basis for judging kung fu, especially through a video.

But at the same time, we all definitely value details in how a movement is performed. TBH, I enjoy watching your vids, so to bring up the snake engine video, I'd point out how you mentioned the differences between your view of the snake like movement in Yip Man Ving Tsun's Biu Jee (the up and down finger movement after the first punch) and the snake engine in Yik Kam lineage.

Personally, I feel that the Yip Man Ving Tsun method still teaches what you mentioned about the Yik Kam lineage's snake engine, except that everything in our forms is done at the most subtle level possible and then expanded in time on the jong or in drills or sparring.

But the point is that even you judged based on what you saw. It's just something we all do at times because on one hand, it does have value, but on the other hand looks can be deceiving.

IMHO,
Wing Chun is wing Chun, if you watch my yik kam slt basic YouTube. You see all the snake and crane in all red boat WCK lineages. However, they do evolve as times goes by.

As for can one judge ones Kung fu from looks?
Yes, if one is in the level and knows how to read the bows, qi path, and jing path beyond the physical shape and movement. That three elements will tell the story.

EternalSpring
07-16-2012, 12:05 AM
To make a quick correction the clips in my sig are not Fut Sao Wing Chun but rather it's my Sifu's system which he has coined Fut Hong in homage of our roots. But yeah if your ever in NJ come visit, all are welcome. LOL, it's funny cause I refer top our school as the roach motel. Most people I bring or those who visit never want to leave. If your in NY, stonecrusher69 is teaching Fut Sao there.

lol, after i made my post I noticed that your sig said "Fut Hong" and I was thinking "crap, my post doesn't make sense anymore." If you dont mind me asking, where did the "Hong" part come from (assuming it was originally Fut Sao)?

and nice, I'm actually in NY, I'm not looking for a class or new sifu because I'm far from being done with the Ving Tsun my sifu is teaching me, but it's good to know there are people training it here that I may eventually meet some time. I think there actually might be a school in Queens, maybe, but i could be mixing it up w/ another school

nasmedicine
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
lol, after i made my post I noticed that your sig said "Fut Hong" and I was thinking "crap, my post doesn't make sense anymore." If you dont mind me asking, where did the "Hong" part come from (assuming it was originally Fut Sao)?

and nice, I'm actually in NY, I'm not looking for a class or new sifu because I'm far from being done with the Ving Tsun my sifu is teaching me, but it's good to know there are people training it here that I may eventually meet some time. I think there actually might be a school in Queens, maybe, but i could be mixing it up w/ another school

Great question! There are actually multiple reasons why my sifu chose to use of Hong. From what I gather one of the reason was out of respect for the teachings of Hsu Yun who known as Empty Cloud (or rather his name roughly translates to from what I remember). Hong can be roughly interpreted as empty/invisible (nothingness) from what I understand. In anycase this was done more to separate us from others who have learned Fut Sao from Henry because there are many things that my sifu teaches that doesn't exist in Fut Sao and that are unique to my Sifu's chi gong and TCM knowledge that have been incorporated into it. Whatever the case is you should stop by if in NJ just to visit always good to make new friends. If your interested in learning more of our "flavor" the closest thing in NY is Sifu Mc Ilwrath (stonecrusher69). Especially if you have already trained in Yip Man WC this way you have a base to compare to. If you want a better understanding of the internal aspect visit my sifu OR stonecrusher69 and see if it's your cup of tea.

Wayfaring
07-16-2012, 07:35 AM
not to mention I dont even aware of such request.

simple enough answer - all I was asking.

you know, I'm trying to stay clear of a whole lot commentary on your Yik Kam transform threads. I'm honestly glad you are taking the time to try to preserve the WCK you've learned and your family lineage. I personally don't have any conflict with other WCK families training and preserving their lineage. Each person is responsible to ensure that they can effectively fight with what they learn, otherwise we are preserving dance and meditations.

My only comment with respect to forums is that I think that it's good that you are doing a lot of the video on your YouTube channel. I also think that it might be a better idea to post the bulk of your writings on Yik Kam on a private blog, and just link to it here (or duplicate it), as opposed to using KFO as your primary storage of that. You want to preserve your intellectual property. Forums don't really accomplish that.

Hendrik
07-16-2012, 08:37 AM
simple enough answer - all I was asking.

you know, I'm trying to stay clear of a whole lot commentary on your Yik Kam transform threads. I'm honestly glad you are taking the time to try to preserve the WCK you've learned and your family lineage. I personally don't have any conflict with other WCK families training and preserving their lineage. Each person is responsible to ensure that they can effectively fight with what they learn, otherwise we are preserving dance and meditations.

My only comment with respect to forums is that I think that it's good that you are doing a lot of the video on your YouTube channel. I also think that it might be a better idea to post the bulk of your writings on Yik Kam on a private blog, and just link to it here (or duplicate it), as opposed to using KFO as your primary storage of that. You want to preserve your intellectual property. Forums don't really accomplish that.

Thank you for you advise and ideas.

Best regards.

nasmedicine
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Each person is responsible to ensure that they can effectively fight with what they learn, otherwise we are preserving dance and meditations.

This is one of the most sensible things anyone has said so far on this thread.

JPinAZ
07-16-2012, 09:58 AM

What are you even talking about? We're not talking about drunken anything (except maybe that Herick looks drunk off his a55 in this clip), or touching anyone's hands - this is supposed to be a clip of a guy doing his WCK SLT!

And please don't give the that 'the eyes can be misled'/'ignore the man behing the curtain'/'forget what it looks like; BS. Sorry, but that's a horrible reason for him looking so bad - we're all smarter than that (at least I hope!).
I thought this clip was to help preserve his lineage? Why should everyone forget and ignore how aweful he looks? I mean, we're talking about a guy that claims to be the lineage holder for what he claims is the original WCK!! He should look better than a stupidly drunk sailor on a rocking ship in rough seas that can't remember his techniques and can't tell his shoulder form his elbow!
Jeebus - if this is what people think WCK is supposed to look like, the fate of WCK is in some serious serious trouble. :eek:

Hendrik
07-16-2012, 10:50 AM
What are you even talking about? We're not talking about drunken anything (except maybe that Herick looks drunk off his a55 in this clip), or touching anyone's hands - this is supposed to be a clip of a guy doing his WCK SLT!

And please don't give the that 'the eyes can be misled'/'ignore the man behing the curtain'/'forget what it looks like; BS. Sorry, but that's a horrible reason for him looking so bad - we're all smarter than that (at least I hope!).

I thought this clip was to help preserve his lineage? Why should everyone forget and ignore how aweful he looks? I mean, we're talking about a guy that claims to be the lineage holder for what he claims is the original WCK!! He should look better than a stupidly drunk sailor on a rocking ship in rough seas that can't remember his techniques and can't tell his shoulder form his elbow!

Jeebus - if this is what people think WCK is supposed to look like, the fate of WCK is in some serious serious trouble. :eek:

Thank you for your comments.

Now, after I give you a few chance to express your view.

I would like to ask you to leave this thread
to start your own thread to express your own view.

stonecrusher69
07-16-2012, 09:54 PM

ok, I forgot you know everything..