PDA

View Full Version : HFYWCK: AZ Instructor & Public Workshop, September 14th through the 16th.

Savi
07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
from www.hfy108.com (http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3312)

Posted by Sifu Mark Jones:

"World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association (世界红花義詠春拳总会) announces a Workshop and Instructor Training in Phoenix, Arizona on the weekend of August 17th to 19th 2012

Grand Master Garrett Gee (朱競雄师傅) will be reviewing material from the 5 major concepts contained within the HFY Siu Nim Tau (小念頭) level of skill development.

Schedule:
Friday 17th August
7pm – 11pm Instructor Training

Saturday 18th August
9am – 5pm Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Workshop
7-pm - 11pm Hung Fa Yi Wing Instructor Training

Sunday 19th August
9am – 12pm – Hung Fa Yi Wing Instructor Training

The Saturday workshop is open to all martial artists regardless of lineage or styles. Anyone interested in attending please contact the World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Association Headquarters or the Southwest Regional Headquarters to pre-register.

Thank you

Sifu Mark Jones"

Sifu Mark Jones Southwest Regional Director
Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona
1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
Tempe AZ 85284 USA
(480) 820-2428
sifujones@hfyofarizona.com
www.hfyofarizona.com
www.hungfayiwingchunpai.com

rogerlee36
07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Every workshop you have is siu lim tao even going back to 2005, does your style have a tchum kiu or is it one long set like santos omei branch?

duende
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey there Roger,

First off... Not every workshop is on SLT. Our first workshops were demonstrations of our Chum Kiu and Dummy forms. With the training focused on San Sau applications based on those forms.

Then we had a series of Kiu Sau workshops which contained a high degree of information from our Chum Kiu. As well as workshops on Bai Jong Baat Bo Gin, which is an abbreviated footwork/facing version of HFY Chum Kiu.

Admittedly, our SLT is highly comprehensive with many layers of energy focus and body mechanics to master. So there is quite a lot of information there to base workshops on.

It has nothing to do with Hendrick's personal branch of WC.

Wayfaring
07-13-2012, 09:22 AM
If we don't care about titles, then why call HFY WC, "Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun." Why not just call HFY, "Wing Chun" or "Martial Arts" or "Kung Fu". Why use the label "Hung Fa Yi" to sell the system. If we don't care about titles, then why do people address Garrett Gee, as "Sifu", when we can just call him "Garrett" or "Mr. Gee". No disrespect. I'm just curious because all the internet info that I have read about HFY indicates that Sifu Gee has been teaching since the 70's, but I haven't come across one person claiming they are a HFY Sifu. I'm sure Sifu Gee has taught many students since the 70's and has produce many Sifu's. But it just amazes me that no one else has claim that they are a HFY Sifu, except Garret Gee. Again, I don't know if this is true or not and I'm just assuming. Maybe can you set me straight and shed some light on this curiosity?

What the guys are trying to explain to you is that HFY's internal culture isnt' real title oriented. Garrett Gee says call him Sifu Gee, as opposed to for example some of Leung Ting's titles, or "master" or "grand master". The title sifu is a practical title - he teaches for a living.

This workshop has instructor training time - all the guys are in the instructor training program - that's how it's talked about internally. That is an ongoing training. Now in their clubs, to the public, some call themselves sifus, some coaches, etc. I think the idea behind this internal culture is to kind of avoid some of the ego filled stuff, and focus on developing skill as oppposed to titles like the guys have referenced. There are HFY schools and clubs around the country and internationally. Some of sifu Gee's long time private students run clubs, others do not. You could accurately call all the guys posting on this thread except for me HFY sifus - they themselves would probably say they are still in training. I was at duende's bai si ceremony I think in 2005 (unless my memory is failing me).

The name Hung Fa Yi is from the connection to the past and the ancestors who taught the art, and has nothing to do with marketing or labels or money. Your question on that does come off a little obtuse - I mean why does any WCK family call themself what they do? Or any martial art? If there is no distinction in a martial art, then how do you know which you are interested in? Do you just buy generic cheese at the grocery store in the bright yellow package that just says "cheese"?

If you really want to know more, go check out a workshop - this thread has details on one you could attend next month. :cool:

rogerlee36
07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Hey there Roger,

First off... Not every workshop is on SLT. Our first workshops were demonstrations of our Chum Kiu and Dummy forms. With the training focused on San Sau applications based on those forms.

Then we had a series of Kiu Sau workshops which contained a high degree of information from our Chum Kiu. As well as workshops on Bai Jong Baat Bo Gin, which is an abbreviated footwork/facing version of HFY Chum Kiu.

Admittedly, our SLT is highly comprehensive with many layers of energy focus and body mechanics to master. So there is quite a lot of information there to base workshops on.

It has nothing to do with Hendrick's personal branch of WC.

Thank you for response. I have not hear of "Bai Jong Baat Bo Gin" before, is there video of it to watch?

MarkJ
07-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks to Savi for starting the thread announcing the workshop and to all who took the time to reply. First off I would like to make a couple of clarifications regarding the workshop, GM Gee holds HFY instructor training and public/student workshops at my school in Tempe AZ every two to three months or so. In my mind it makes perfect logistical sense to combine the private instructor training along with a General Public or HFY Member’s workshop, this way the instructors get their training and my students and any non members that are curious about our branch of Wing Chun can attend an open workshop and get to train with and meet personally with GM Gee.

This time the main focus of the Saturday workshop is to promote the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun system to the newer members of my school and the surrounding clubs that have not yet had the chance to meet with GM Gee, hence why I didn’t originally post on this forum and instead posted on the community workshop forum on hfy108.com

So yes we will be working on Siu Nim Tau level material at GM Gee’s discretion, but having said that, as always anyone that has an interest in experiencing our system first hand is welcome to attend. We have been fortunate to have many visitors at the local, national and international level and make many new friends in the martial arts community over the years.

On the subject of Workshop / Seminar announcements I personally think it would be a good idea to have a separate community workshop area here on kfo as a place for all Masters, Sifu’s, Instructors and Coaches to announce their events and help to promote the Chinese martial arts in our respective communities, any thoughts?

Best to all

rogerlee36
07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
rogerlee36, if you ever go to HFY in SF. Ask this question for me, especially to the students there. How long have they studied or trained HFY Wing Chun? And what forms have they been taught since they have been with HFY? Thanks

they already list here http://hungfakwoon.com/instructorsprogram.html

JPinAZ
07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
they already list here http://hungfakwoon.com/instructorsprogram.html

Yes, and that list does not even include any of the other supplimental forms in HFY like Keun Jong/Dip Gwat Gung SLT, Sup Ming Dim SLT, WC Formula, Saam Jin Bo, Jiam Jong training, knives & pole forms on the dummy, etc.

Jeff_H
07-20-2012, 08:57 AM
What are the 5 major SLT concept? Is it root, centerline, two hands work as one, Lou lao hoy sung, and doi yin?

jonlee
07-27-2012, 07:10 PM
from www.hfy108.com (http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3312)

Posted by Sifu Mark Jones:

"World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association (世界红花義詠春拳总会) announces a Workshop and Instructor Training in Phoenix, Arizona on the weekend of August 17th to 19th 2012

Grand Master Garrett Gee (朱競雄师傅) will be reviewing material from the 5 major concepts contained within the HFY Siu Nim Tau (小念頭) level of skill development.

Schedule:
Friday 17th August
7pm – 11pm Instructor Training

Saturday 18th August
9am – 5pm Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Workshop
7-pm - 11pm Hung Fa Yi Wing Instructor Training

Sunday 19th August
9am – 12pm – Hung Fa Yi Wing Instructor Training

The Saturday workshop is open to all martial artists regardless of lineage or styles. Anyone interested in attending please contact the World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Association Headquarters or the Southwest Regional Headquarters to pre-register.

Thank you

Sifu Mark Jones"

Sifu Mark Jones Southwest Regional Director
Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona
1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
Tempe AZ 85284 USA
(480) 820-2428
sifujones@hfyofarizona.com
www.hfyofarizona.com
www.hungfayiwingchunpai.com

Funny how all my replies have been deleted from this thread. Just like it was deleted on the HFY forum.

JPinAZ
07-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Mine got deleted too. Maybe people should just stick to the topic, then there wouldn't be need for moderation ;)

Wayfaring
08-02-2012, 08:31 AM
For the record, I support sihing73 (Dave's) moderation of all sticky thread announcements.

Let's keep those clean guys. We can discuss and debate under normal forum threads. If we need to argue over a topic, start a new thread different from the announcement thread.

Savi
08-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Update for the Arizona Workshop:

The event has been rescheduled for September 14th through the 16th.

Thank you,
Savi

Savi
08-28-2012, 07:20 PM
The following is a write up from HFY member Michael Pyun on HFYWCK Chi Sao:

Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun’s Time and Space Chi Sao System
Vs
Skill and Technique Chi Sao Expression

Authored By: Grandmaster Garrett Gee
Written By: Michael Pyun

Grandmaster Garrett Gee’s Hung Fa Yi Time and Space Chi Sao System is extremely unique in the martial art world because it stresses maximum efficiency in combat as it relates to time, space, and energy. Without fully employing these three things simultaneously, maximum efficiency cannot be achieved no matter how one tries to explain or demonstrate it. In addition, HFY’s Chi Sao System is one-of-a-kind because it breaks down Chi Sao into three components: Kiu-Sao Chi Sao, Tan-Bong-Fuk Chi-Sao, and Chi-Kiu Chi Sao. Within those three components, the principle of Tin-Yan-Dei (Heaven, Human, and Earth) is dissected into four categories – arm, four-gate, six-gate, and body TYD. These concepts all fall under HFY’s Wing Chun Formula of Sup-Ming-Dim, Five-Line Theory, and Two-Line Jong Sau.

In Hung Fa Yi’s Wing Chun Formula, Sup-Ming-Diem pinpoints the exact reference points in space that allow you to have the strongest structure possible. Five-Line Theory teaches you the width of the space/box established between you and your opponent. And Two-Line Jong Sau establishes HFY’s Two-Line Defense concept as well as the depth and distance in space. These three things must be fully understood before learning HFY’s Time and Space Chi Sao System.

Now, many would agree that one of the main goals of Chi Sao is to build up sensitivity in the hands and arms. However, Hung Fa Yi’s Time and Space Chi Sao system goes beyond this by also teaching Tin-Yan-Dei Gate Theory. HFY’s TYD Gate Theory should not be confused with HFY’s Gate Theory because HFY’s TYD Gate Theory focuses on the three centerline Sup-Ming-Dim points while HFY’s Gate Theory demonstrates interception at the Four-Gate Level. Further, HFY’s TYD Gate Theory precedes the moment of attack by first focusing on occupying space along the centerline using precise reference points in space to achieve maximum efficiency. Therefore, HFY’s TYD Gate Theory utilizes the idea of time and space instead of speed, power, deception, or the lucky strike to defeat your opponent.

Hung Fa Yi’s Time and Space Chi Sao System further dissects the idea of Tin-Yan-Dei by explaining the differences between Arm TYD, Four-Gate TYD, Six-Gate TYD, and Body TYD. Arm TYD teaches you range in combat as well as how to use the heaven, human, and earth points on your arm to produce the proper energy during Chi Sao. Four-Gate TYD teaches you how to occupy space along the centerline before you attack. Six-Gate TYD teaches you interception using the legs. And Body TYD teaches you power. Of course, each of the four categories of HFY’s TYD offers much more depth but only GM Gee has the ability to unlock this information.

Further, Hung Fa Yi’s Time and Space Chi Sao System has a definitive lesson plan mapped out by GM Gee that includes the teaching of Kiu-Sao Chi Sao, Chi-Kiu Chi Sao, and Tan-Bong-Fuk Chi Sao. Kiu-Sao Chi Sao and Tan-Bong-Fuk Chi Sao are taught at the Siu Nim Tau level while Chi-Kiu Chi Sao is introduced at the Chum Kiu Level. Each of these must be mastered in order to be proficient in HFY’s Time and Space Chi Sao System. Hence, GM Gee always refers to HFY Chi Sao as a system rather than just a skill. Without the depth and technological knowledge behind HFY’s trademark Time and Space Chi Sao System, it would be very hard to distinguish it from all the rest. Yet with it, the skill, efficiency, and effectiveness can be distinctly felt as well as appreciated.

Let it be known that Hung Fa Yi’s Time and Space Chi Sao System is not just a game, drill, or exercise to build sensitivity. It is necessary for combat. It does not have to start from a static position nor does it require facing your opponent. HFY’s Time and Space Chi Sao is a system for combat that exists with or without contact. The only constant is the use of time and space to achieve maximum efficiency in combat. Only when this occurs can HFY’s Five Levels of Energy (Ying, Chung, Lao, Saat, Fa) be used effectively. Without it, only Chi Sao skill and technique can be expressed and physical attributes must be used to become effective in combat. Moreover, HFY’s Time and Space Chi Sao System covers the three time frames of reality: Gate Theory, Five-Line Theory, and Inside-Outside-The-Box. Recognizing and understanding these three time frames is what enables a HFY Wing Chun practitioner to use a system approach to combat rather than a technique oriented one.

As GM Gee always says, “No technique handles all technique.”

This idea is what allows HFY’s Time and Space Chi Sao System to go from nowhere to somewhere. On the same token, nothing can be added or subtracted because Grandmaster Garrett Gee’s Hung Fa Yi Time and Space Chi Sao is fully complete.

The upcoming workshop event for the WHFYWCKFA draws near. With roughly two weeks remaining until the event, we continue the welcome for all lineages to come and attend. As it was done in Kansas City, Grandmaster Garrett Gee will personally reveal the HFY Wing Chun Time/Space Chi Sao system to all attendees here in Tempe, AZ.

Please contact the Tempe regional school for arrangements.

Savi
09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
The Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Pai has been in the public for over twelve years now, and its global exposure can be attributed to two largely published works and various articles. In the late nineties a book was published called Complete Wing Chun written by Robert Chu. In this book was a chapter originally written by HFY member John Murphy detailing a partial history of the HFYWC Pai. A few years later another book was written on HFY entitled Mastering Kung Fu featuring Shaolin Wing Chun, primarily authored by Grandmaster Garrett Gee and Master Richard Loewenhagen, which was quite an expansive project detailing many things about HFY over its 200 plus pages. This became the most extensive work ever written in the history of HFY to date. Numerous articles on HFY have also been published over the last twelve years. Yet, for all the contributions put forth for the martial community, history has shown there to always be politically/ill motivated characters who will spread rumors and misinformation in spite of the contrary. As this is an expected reality in the "court of public opinions", there is always more than one side to any story. For purposes of this communication, we shall look at a few real life interactions to get to know HFY on a more personal level.

Ron Gaudino, an accomplished martial artist and fighter of 40+ years in a variety of traditional Chinese Gung Fu, recently returned from a trip to Hawaii. Now the thing is, Grandmaster Garrett Gee has not seen this man for about ten years prior to his most recent return, but after all this time Master Ron still told him that the world truly underestimates Grandmaster Garrett Gee and the legacy of the HFY Pai. I believe it takes one to know one, and in this case I can tell you Ron Gaudino is a genuine martial artist who after all his years of combat and training, pays tribute to Grandmaster Garrett Gee.

During a recent public workshop on HFY Chi Sao held in Kansas City, MO, another accomplished martial artist who achieved his 9th degree black belt master and instructor in Jiu-jitsu said just after two days of training with Grandmaster Garrett Gee he felt "defeated", essentially meaning he recognized the enormity and effectiveness of HFY to the point that in spite of his tenure and achievements with Jiu-jitsu, he was overwhelmingly humbled by his experiences and exposure to the depth and breadth of HFY WCK by Grandmaster Garrett Gee.

Ret. Lt. Colonel Richard Loewenhagen, author of many published articles and the book Mastering Kung Fu featuring Shaolin Wing Chun, has devoted his life's work to help preserve the legacy of HFY for future generations to come. As a war veteran and leader of leaders, who has literally taught over 1000 people over his tenure as a Sifu, he immediately identified the essence and quality of the warrior spirit and culture in Grandmaster Garrett Gee upon their first meeting, and chose to utilize his talents and resources to honor the HFYWC Pai.

There are many things these martial artists share, and as I said it takes one to know one. These men are more than just talk, because they also walk the talk too. Grandmaster Garrett Gee is a philosopher, a scientist, a multi-faceted teacher, and a fighter. He has fought many times in his life, even as recent as his latest trips outside the USA. Recently when he was visiting China he was attacked at a train station by several thieves trying to steal from him. Without hesitation he took out the first guy and the rest of the gang came in to attack. Unfortunately for them, they were all beaten and some were taken to the hospital. Shortly after, it turned out that gang, who all dressed in similar fashion, were notorious for stealing from people, and that event made the news. Grandmaster Garrett Gee is a man who has risen to face every challenge, and defines his chapter in the legacy of HFY as its Guardian and leader to the next generation.

Next weekend the Arizona workshop will be held. Grandmaster Garrett Gee will be personally presenting more of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun's Time and Space Chi Sao system to all people in attendance. Michael Pyun's write up which I have shared here details a very unique and comprehensive method of Chi Sao's inner workings as it relates directly to combat. Upon completion of this workshop the WHFYWKFA will be releasing more videos on HFY to the public. As more martial artists experience HFY WCK directly, I conclude that the desire for its authenticity as a combat science, as a life philosophy, and as a vessel for the kung fu culture, it is every bit a tangible reality for all martial artists around the world to connect with and experience.

Whether it is someone "threatened" by the existence of HFY, or martial artists from other disciplines who recognize genuine knowledge and the skill that comes with it, to all persons in the community I say this: HFY is here, and I pay tribute to HFY WCK and its Protector.

Ng Wu Sei Hoi Ging Lai,
Savi.

Savi
09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
More information from the Chi Sao workshop can be read here:

September 2012 Chi Sao review (http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3325&p=21248#post21248)

Savi
09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Latest update from the WHFYWCKFA, 9/25/2012:

Following the latest Wing Chun Chi Sao workshop, Grandmaster Garrett Gee, founder and head of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Pai and the Kung Fu Tong Research Team, met with Wing Chun Masters’ producer Margie Yang for the first time today. They met over lunch to discuss matters regarding her fantastic contributions to the community, the work and vision being put forth by the KFT Research Team, and potential ideas for the future. She has been researching the history of the HFY Pai with great interest which has led, in part, to their meeting.

Since their first communications about one year ago, we have witnessed the growing momentum and support for Wing Chun from this remarkable woman through her efforts to promote the art and connect with thousands of martial artists and supporters alike, in recognizing Wing Chun to the world. After meeting her for the first time, Grandmaster Garrett Gee can attest to her unselfish and genuine passion to elevate the art of Wing Chun Kuen brightly for today’s and future generations on. Margie Yang has an honest, sincere, and genuine quality within her heart. Therefore, the Kung Fu Tong Research Team would like to recognize her as a true gem to Wing Chun, the Martial Arts community, and give her many thanks.

Margie Yang on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/margie.yang.5 (must be logged into FB to view)

www.wingchunmasters.com

Savi
10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Friday October 2012

News update from SF headquarters last night we had a guest from the Netherlands.

Mr. Miesi Hoffstaetter, he was a muay thai fighter with 12 years wing chun experience from Wong Shun Leung lineage. With GM Garrett Gee's permission he interacted with our HFY members doing chi sao. We shared the HFY advanced SNT and HFY Time and Space chi sao. He admitted that there was a lots of differences between HFY Time and Space chi sao and the chi sao he learned from Wong shun Leung. He is going back to Europe for a month and will be back to visit GM Garrett Gee again to further explore the HFY wing chun kung fu system.

Bruce Stanberry
Hung Fa Kwoon Secretary

TAYLOR1
10-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Miesi Hoffstaetter from the WSL lineage explored wing chun outside his lineage and experienced HFY directly from GM Gee. Over the years many individuals from other lineages have met with GM Gee to find out what HFY has to offer.

In the last few years alone, GM Gee has made several trips to Hong Kong and Fatshan to teach HFY. Many of those who spent time with GM Gee are police officers or former police officers from both the Fatshan and Hong Kong police departments.

Traditionally, many police officers like to train Wing Chun because it’s practical. In fact, Yip Man himself was a police detective in the Fatshan police department. Coincidentally, GM Gee’s own grandfather, Chu Jun Bak was the Police Commissioner and the Deputy Mayor of Fatshan.

rogerlee36
10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Miesi Hoffstaetter from the WSL lineage explored wing chun outside his lineage and experienced HFY directly from GM Gee. Over the years many individuals from other lineages have met with GM Gee to find out what HFY has to offer.

In the last few years alone, GM Gee has made several trips to Hong Kong and Fatshan to teach HFY. Many of those who spent time with GM Gee are police officers or former police officers from both the Fatshan and Hong Kong police departments.

Traditionally, many police officers like to train Wing Chun because it’s practical. In fact, Yip Man himself was a police detective in the Fatshan police department. Coincidentally, GM Gee’s own grandfather, Chu Jun Bak was the Police Commissioner and the Deputy Mayor of Fatshan.

I am surprised it is uncommon for someone to visit your school that it is wprth two posts. Since joining a local group we have had numerous visitors, should i write about them too?