PDA

View Full Version : JAMA ending 2 decades of paper printing

SPJ
07-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Sad to know that another printed media ready to fold after Inside kungfu folded not too long ago.

They will have an official annoucement soon.

Future articles will be hosted on a website.

Paper printing media heading toward digital world.

Good or bad.

Comment away.

:)

SPJ
07-16-2012, 05:08 PM
OOPS.

Journal of Asian Martial Arts

quarterly peer review periodical.

I assumed that every one knows what JAMA stands for.

:D

SPJ
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
I picked up and read the first issue in 1992?

I read it in University of California library.

--

Man, 20 years went by just like that.

getting old indeed.

;)

IronFist
07-16-2012, 08:07 PM
The internet is cool and all, but I miss going to the store and buying magazines.

And books. I like books. I really hope eReaders don't do away with books.

GeneChing
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
As a fellow print publisher of a martial arts journal, it's another canary in our coal mine. :( I used to monitor the decline of print publishing on our PPDW thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52868), but I stopped last year because it was just too depressing.

Jimbo
07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I used to buy this off and on over the years. It's too bad to hear this.

I, too, liked going to book stores and perusing/buying books. There are still some around here, like B and N. The Internet is all good, but to really read a book, I prefer holding a physical book over reading one on a computer/iPad. But progress keeps marching on, and someday, probably few if any print books will be produced.

But I can also foresee the possibility of print making a comeback at some point, as some of the disadvantages of strictly E-books become apparent.

Lucas
07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
The internet is cool and all, but I miss going to the store and buying magazines.

i used to be really anti electronic book...until i got a tablet and downloaded kindle app...i still own hundreds of books, and will continue to buy more in the future. but there is also a great benefit to the e-book deal, ive found some neat start up authors and others that you may not find in a book store. the only problem for an avid reader is that i can literally buy books just by tapping my finger on a screen. thats dangerous. i went from buying books here and there to buying several books in a week, just because of the ease of access. you can get a lot of free books too with a kindle account.

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I love books, but I got my eldest and my wife a kindle.
Take sup less space, keeps the "mess" of books all over the house to a minimum.
But for ME, it will probably always be books.
I used to read the JAMA and the when the International Hoplology Society used to have one too.
But, with all honesty, when the theory started to over ride the practice, lots of their articles lost their flavour with me.

mickey
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Greetings,

The magazine to a bad turn when it started to get besieged by people who thought it to be a good thing to be "published" in a journal. There is a term for them: glory hoes.

mickey

JamesC
07-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I went through a stint where I only read books on my kindle.

Then I reverted. Maybe i'm nostalgic, but it just isn't the same for me. I like the feeling of holding a book in my hands.

Fa Xing
07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I read both, in fact i am on my nook color now.

Vajramusti
07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Watch out for the final special issue.Could be a keeper.

SimonM
07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
I read both, in fact i am on my nook color now.

Lenovo Android tablet here.

GeneChing
07-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Watch out for the final special issue.Could be a keeper. Remember how IKF went out (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1071970#post1071970) - it was abrupt. As a publisher, I can totally understand that. Once you've decided to close up shop, there's no possible financial gain for a farewell issue whatsoever. It would just add to the losses.

SPJ
07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
I punched holes and bound 12 monthly issues of inside KF in a ring binder.

I like to read them this way, as if a bigger book yearly.

I read mostly on interviews of people that I am interested or followed.

Sad to see inside Kung fu gone.

I never completed my year 2011 yearly binder.

:(

Vajramusti
08-19-2012, 09:05 AM
The Journal of Asian Martial Arts has been a premiere and well produced quality journal. Unfortunately, the print world faces rough economic times. As a finale the Journal is coming out soon in September
with a 200 page well produced book(the book includes two articles with photos on selected wing chun applications)
The book also contains major articles on several different Chinese, Japanese, Korean and SE Asian martial arts.

-------------------------------

Pre publication blurb by the publisher:

Just to let you know that materials are at the printer now. Ship date is September 28.

Some Comments on the New Book

"The Journal of Asian Martial Arts has been an important beacon of reason and class. In succession, this new book appears to be a slam-dunk hit."
G. Cameron Hurst, III, Ph.D. (Professor Emeritus of Japanese and Korean Studies, University of Pennsylvania)

"I have always recognized the Journal of Asian Martial Arts
[JAMA] as a source of highly refined articles and content. It has long been exemplary of quality and authenticity in the
martial arts world. I am happy to see JAMA finish on a strong note and with great support for this book. I hope that JAMA's legacy will last for many more generations to come."
Yang Jwing-ming, Ph.D. (President, YMAA International)

"The greatest compliment I can pay to any book is to recommend it. ... I heartily recommend this to all. Enjoy!"
William Stockey (karate, 10th dan, and kenjutsu, 9th dan)

FREE Shipping and Handling to USA and Canada

If interested, click PayPal, then click on "Send Money" ($24.95) in the top menu bar. Follow directions there. Our e-mail for this is: paypal@journalofasianmartialarts.com

If any questions about ordering overseas or by check, feel free to send me an email.

Sincerely,

Michael DeMarco,
Via Media Publishing Black

PS Our new website should be live in a few weeks.

Contents
Kaze
Constructive Thoughts
> 9 articles by leading martial art scholars:
covering history, media, healing, spiritual, and combative components.

Practical Applications
> 27 articles by
renowned masters:
demonstrating their favorite techniques and offering practice tips.

200 pages
printed on gloss paper
over 300 illustrations
$24.95

RickMatz
09-04-2012, 12:51 PM
The magazine may be done with, but there is a book in the works (http://chentaijiquanworld.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-end-of-era-as-we-say-farewell-to.html)!

SPJ
09-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Web logging or blogging.

Real time journalism with photo and video.

Samsung galaxy camera with android jellybean on 4 inch touch screen.

Must have for any one serious about blogging and instagram.

The tablets/iPad outsold PC in the back to school season.

---

Publishing a book or a journal is changing fast.

Your content my content

your feed my feed

your stream my stream

The internet is all about content instantly updated.

--

Web publishing is the future.

:cool:

SPJ
10-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Just received the book.

Great read.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/SPJ/Blog/IMG_20121013_173446.jpg

:cool:

Syn7
10-13-2012, 06:40 PM

my eyes prefer paper too.