PDA

View Full Version : Forearm Size

kungfudude
09-15-2001, 09:48 AM
does anyone know of any way to increase bone mass and muscle mass in your forearms and wrists?

i'm a pretty big guy (6 foot 1, 185 pounds) but my forearms look scrawny because they are so thin

aside from wanting my forearms to look cool i also want strong forearms so my grip strength will improve

any suggestions?

thanks

KungFuDude

ged
09-15-2001, 12:09 PM
wrist curls, with dumbbells. but dont forget upper arms, or youll end up looking like popeye.

Tainan Mantis
09-15-2001, 02:10 PM
Throwing the bean bag. Start with a bag that is so heavy you lose finger strength before the 10nth catch and practice until you pass 100.
There are many dif kinds of throws but since I can't show you just be creative.
-behind the back
-over the shoulder
-under a kick
-straight up
-etc...

nospam
09-15-2001, 05:07 PM
Besides what ged mentioned already- forearm curls (we used to have a plate tied to a small stick and we rolled the plate slowly up, then slowly lowered it...massive burn in the forearms, plus ancillary fatique in the shoulders), when you regularily workout your back muscles with progressive weight resistance, your forearms will grow. Why? 'cause you are constantly squeezing (exerting) with your forearms for added grip strength necessary to move big weights. This is why you see wrist straps used, this helps circumvent forearm fatique prior to.. say back muscle.. the intended muscle group fatique.

no 'popeye' spam.

Brian_CA
09-15-2001, 05:23 PM
If you practice Hung gar, try doing the kiu sau section of Gung gee a hundred times. Or if you are advanced, the dragon section from Supyin and all of the iron wire. If not, try this:

1. Extend your arms in front of you palms facing up.
2. Open and close your hand as fast and hard as you can for 1 minute.

3. After a minute, turn your palms facing down and repeat.

While this will not build mass, it will build gripping power and overall strength in the forearms and hands. You arms should feel like lead weights after this exercise. If not add an additional minute to each exercise.

Brian
San Francisco, CA

Kumkuat
09-15-2001, 06:34 PM
Deadlifts

chen zhen
09-15-2001, 08:51 PM
what is the correct form in doing forearm curls?

Sharky
09-15-2001, 11:22 PM
those hand grips won't build mass but will give nice definition

"You can't see it if you blind but we will always prevail (true)/Life is like the open sea, the truth is the wind in our sail/And in the end, our names is on the lips of dying men/If ever crushed in the earth, we always rise again/When the words of lying men sound lush like the sound of a violin/The truth is there, it's just the heart you gotta find it in" - Talib Kweli

Silumkid
09-16-2001, 05:56 AM
Here's a great one...get a length of round wood, as thick as you can handle in your hands. Drill a hole in the middle of it, tie a fairly long rope (all the way to the floor if you want) through the hole and attach a weight on the other end. Then roll the weight all the way up to the stick and all the way down with your arms extended, using only the strength of your forearms and wrists. Then reverse, all the way down. Vary your routine (i.e. the direction you use up and down as concerns wrist rotation).

FEEL THE BURN!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

kungfudude
09-16-2001, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the advice guys

but isnt there any way to get larger bones in your forearms?

ged
09-16-2001, 08:16 AM
surgery?

premier
09-16-2001, 04:56 PM
You can't get bigger bones, but you can make them stronger by doing forearm conditioning like 3 star blocking etc.

Silumkid
09-16-2001, 07:39 PM
Weight training can contribute to bone DENSITY but not size. Why would you want bigger bones anyway? Smaller joints make you look more muscular! :D

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!