PDA

View Full Version : Man of Steel

sanjuro_ronin
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Admire:
http://www.newsinfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/superman-henry-cavill-big.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
First Look: Cavill as Superman in ‘Man of Steel’

Published by Jeff Leins on August 4, 2011

As cameras continue to roll on Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, Warner Bros has released the first image of Henry Cavill in costume as Superman. The move is likely a preemptive strike to unveil the first glimpse before the paparazzi and other camera-wielding onlookers snap a grainy photo of Cavill emerging from a trailer sipping some Starbucks.

The impressive cast officially added Laurence Fishburne to the mix yesterday, according to the LA Times. Fishburne will play Perry White, the tough editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet, where Superman’s alter-ego Clark Kent earns a paycheck. He’s also the first African American to ever play the role, dating back to the character’s first appearance in Superman #7 in 1940. It’s a milestone, to be sure, perhaps even overdue, but the real focus should be on Snyder and producer Christopher Nolan’s ability to add yet another top-caliber name to one of the best rosters in recent memory.

The cast includes Cavill, Fishburne, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as General Zod, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as the Kents, Russell Crowe and Julia Ormond as Superman’s Kryptonian parents, and Christopher Meloni as a military general.

The suit itself has a rippled shine, like Thor’s armor, rather the Spandex of tradition, but the “S” is still prominent and unchanged on his chest and the cape is classic red. Other than the opportunity for wisecracks about his slick-backed hair, there isn’t much notably different from the iconic costume.

David Jamieson
08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
a. again?
b. scales?
c. long live Christopher Reeve!

lol

MasterKiller
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
**** Supes. Where is Zod?

sanjuro_ronin
08-04-2011, 10:29 AM
**** Supes. Where is Zod?

Zod is in it, no released pics of him yet though.

SimonM
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
a. again?
b. scales?
c. long live Christopher Reeve!

lol

A) As long as people keep paying.
B) No problem with scales.
C) Actors come and go.

David Jamieson
08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
so..origins again then?

I guess I was never a big fan of superman.

sanjuro_ronin
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Never a fan of Reeves I must say, though he will always hold a special place in the heart of every Superman fan.
It's not scales, it's the texture of the suit.
He does look more like the comic book Superman it seems:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z6UFDfmE5UE/TiNryuMOo2I/AAAAAAAAAOg/pQP81U7Z_c8/s1600/superman-flying.jpg

doug maverick
08-05-2011, 12:27 PM
that hairline is not very super...this film has one big problem ZACK SNYDER!! I wonder whose d#$% he sucked to get superman cause the guy hasnt had a hit since 300. but i do know he was at the bottom of the barrel, because they asked ben affleck before they came to him...lol

sanjuro_ronin
08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
that hairline is not very super...this film has one big problem ZACK SNYDER!! I wonder whose d#$% he sucked to get superman cause the guy hasnt had a hit since 300. but i do know he was at the bottom of the barrel, because they asked ben affleck before they came to him...lol

You didn't like Watchmen?

JamesC
08-05-2011, 12:34 PM
The only scenes I really enjoyed from Watchmen were the ones that involved Dr. Manhattan. I thought his character and story were awesome and original.

doug maverick
08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
You didn't like Watchmen?

hell no. i didnt like that slow paced monotoned acted film.

MasterKiller
08-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Watchmen was brilliant. And I liked Sucker Punch, too.

JamesC
08-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Oooh!

I want to see that so bad. Keep forgetting to grab it at Redbox. Looks like the perfect movie for someone with ADD, lol. Plus, hot chicks.

MasterKiller
08-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Oooh!

I want to see that so bad. Keep forgetting to grab it at Redbox. Looks like the perfect movie for someone with ADD, lol. Plus, hot chicks.

Actually, it's not really an action flick. I liked it, but it's a little abstract for some people.

Jimbo
08-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I never was a big Superman fan. I couldn't figure out why he became unrecognizable as Clark Kent just by changing into a suit, donning glasses, and pretending to be soft. I realize it's a comic, but come on.

JamesC
08-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I agree. That's a pretty weak hole.

However, we ARE talking about a guy born on Krypton that can fly, has superhuman strength, shoots lasers from his eyes, has super breath, faster than a speeding bullet, bulletproof, etc.

I think we are just expected to believe his minor disguise issues in the face of his much larger, obvious unbelievable feats. If we can believe that he can do all those, why can't we believe that the few people he knows are clueless?

Also, I think he's just supposed to represent the average guy/geek and it helps to humanize him and make him more recognizable as such. Afterall, he IS a "Messiah."

doug maverick
08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Watchmen was brilliant. And I liked Sucker Punch, too.

sucker punch was blah...12 year boys wet dream..not abstract at all.lol

JamesC
08-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Sounds good to me. I'm still having the same wet dreams I had when I was 12... lol

MasterKiller
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM

A movie about a girl getting a lobotomy, who is fantasizing while getting the lobotomy, and whose fantasies also have fantasies, is a pretty abstract concept, especially for Hollywood.

doug maverick
08-07-2011, 02:02 PM
no inception was an abstract concept...this was tedium at its finest.....the whole idea of the burlesque house was super unnecessary and boring to boot...but to each his own...thats the point of film...everyone see's it different...just please dont call zack snyder high art...he is not. chris nolan is art, marty scoresse is art, jean peire mellville is art, hong kong era john woo was art...zack snyder is not art.

MasterKiller
08-07-2011, 09:10 PM
no inception was an abstract concept...this was tedium at its finest.....the whole idea of the burlesque house was super unnecessary and boring to boot...but to each his own...thats the point of film...everyone see's it different...just please dont call zack snyder high art...he is not. chris nolan is art, marty scoresse is art, jean peire mellville is art, hong kong era john woo was art...zack snyder is not art.

This is art.

http://www.book530.com/paintingpic/1205g2/elegy-to-the-spanish-republic-.jpg

Movies are just masturbation.

SimonM
08-08-2011, 05:27 AM
I never was a big Superman fan. I couldn't figure out why he became unrecognizable as Clark Kent just by changing into a suit, donning glasses, and pretending to be soft. I realize it's a comic, but come on.

I've got an operating theory on that.

Everybody knows Kent is Superman. But everybody also knows that Superman likes pretending Kent is a disguise, and really, are YOU going to be the one to tell the guy who can fly, punch reality so hard it breaks, and melt steel by looking at it that his disguise sucks?

sanjuro_ronin
08-08-2011, 05:38 AM
The whole "suspension of belief" theory is plausable IF we take into account that:
Kent was know before Superman.
Superman is basically a "god" and when resented with the evidence that "God" is hanging out in disguise of Clark Kent, it is far easier to accept that they just look alike ( everyone has their own twin).
Of course this doesn't really apply to Lois or Perry White that basically accepted the fact that Superman is Kent but doesn't want anyone to know.

doug maverick
08-08-2011, 06:58 AM
This is art.

http://www.book530.com/paintingpic/1205g2/elegy-to-the-spanish-republic-.jpg

Movies are just masturbation.

i beg to differ but whatever.

SimonM
08-08-2011, 06:59 AM
That painting is art, so is a movie - it may be good art, may be bad art, but there is no other objective word for a piece of cultural ephemera like a movie.

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Ok, seriously now !!
Everyone is talking about the super awesome trailer at comicon and how this is gonna be the best movie ever !!
Bunch of ****-teasers !!

Anyone seen the trailer yet?

Hebrew Hammer
07-18-2012, 12:16 PM
You mean Superman? He's such a bore. Seriously my least favorite superhero.

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
You mean Superman? He's such a bore. Seriously my least favorite superhero.

Blasphemer !!!

From what the reviewers of the trailer said, even the ones that are NOT Superman fans are jacked for this one.

SimonM
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
It does look better than the last Superman reboot. (Super-son pffffft, Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex should have put lie to that one)

Hebrew Hammer
07-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Blasphemer !!!

From what the reviewers of the trailer said, even the ones that are NOT Superman fans are jacked for this one.

I know better than to get between you and a well built man in tights! Enjoy SR.

By the way that's not an insult, it's a backhanded compliment.

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2012, 12:57 PM
It does look better than the last Superman reboot. (Super-son pffffft, Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex should have put lie to that one)

You've seen the trailer?

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
I know better than to get between you and a well built man in tights! Enjoy SR.

By the way that's not an insult, it's a backhanded compliment.

Not sure how I feel about getting backhanded by a man in tights...

SimonM
07-18-2012, 12:59 PM
You've seen the trailer?

Stills from it... and play-by-plays of it.

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Stills from it... and play-by-plays of it.

Share, or else....

SimonM
07-18-2012, 01:08 PM
They appear to have been pulled. Seeking alternate source. :mad:

IO9 has a play-by-play but no stills.

http://io9.com/5926048/first-man-of-steel-footage-shows-a-more-alienated-superman

JamesC
07-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Just FYI, I was told that they are playing the trailer as part of The Dark Knight Rises previews here.

SimonM
07-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Just FYI, I was told that they are playing the trailer as part of The Dark Knight Rises previews here.

A teaser trailer, but not the comic con one is what i heard.

Lucas
07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1689630/man-of-steel-2012-comic-con.jhtml

Lucas
07-20-2012, 12:07 PM
you tube vid labeled as comic con trailer. i wasnt there and havnt looked into this so i dont know. the tail end is what you want to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roM1VyAaRZY

probably fake tho

Lucas
07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
the cool thing about superman is, like most comic book heroes who have been around for a few generations, there are several incarnations.

im happy that this superman will be more 'dark' and or in my opinion realisitc.

i dont care if you are an alien, no one is that 'good' especially when facing evil.

Lucas
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM
vid of stills here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MkqsFvauE-Q

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Vids of stills? Seriously ?:mad:

Brule
07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Exactly !! What's the point?

Lucas
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
lol i know right. i like his costume tho.

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
This reboot, if done will, can do for Superman what Batman Begins did for Batman.
I found some of the things in the trailer ( as described by critics) to be facinating things to deal with.
The fear of Superman by the Humans, the wanting him not to be their "saviour" and, one presumes, the relief they feel when he does become their saviour VS Zod.
The whole process seems far more real than the Christopher Reeves one and Superman Returns.

JamesC
07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
A teaser trailer, but not the comic con one is what i heard.

Ahh. Crap. Was hoping to see it tomorrow.

JamesC
07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Just saw that Diane Lane is Martha.

Don't know why, but I find her super hot. Just sayin'.

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Just saw that Diane Lane is Martha.

Don't know why, but I find her super hot. Just sayin'.

Probably because she is very hot.

SimonM
07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
you tube vid labeled as comic con trailer. i wasnt there and havnt looked into this so i dont know. the tail end is what you want to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roM1VyAaRZY

probably fake tho

Considering Brandon Routh was still attached as Supes at the time and the video was uploaded in 2008.

Lucas
07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Considering Brandon Routh was still attached as Supes at the time and the video was uploaded in 2008.

didnt even notice that lol

JamesC
07-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Martha Kent
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BpAoKRSdVjQ/TQmJ_Jl9ZhI/AAAAAAAADqQ/2sYRBCACgBM/s1600/diane-lane-celebrity.jpg

Lucas
07-20-2012, 02:32 PM
supermans mom is a babe

SimonM
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Teaser trailers:

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/22/the-man-of-steels-two-teaser-trailers/

sanjuro_ronin
07-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks dude :D

Wow, I got goosebumps...

SimonM
07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Glad to oblige. Looks promising even if it is another $^# #@^^ ^^*$#& #*@%$^$ origin story.

sanjuro_ronin
07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Glad to oblige. Looks promising even if it is another $^# #@^^ ^^*$#& #*@%$^$ origin story.

If done right it may be THE reboot.
I have high hopes because of who is involved in this.
Besides, new/rebooted origins and comics go hand-in hand.
How many versions of Superman does DC have? few dozen?

SimonM
07-24-2012, 12:58 PM
If you include the alternate history versions like Red Son and Cowboy Superman?

Many...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_versions_of_Superman

sanjuro_ronin
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
If you include the alternate history versions like Red Son and Cowboy Superman?

Many...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_versions_of_Superman

Indeed, Kingdom Come was one of my favs.
I like the notion of the UBER powerful demi-God Superman and I know that some want to make him less powerful and beatable ( so they can find victims or put him in a situation that makes for drama) but I think that is just lazy writing.
What makes Kal-El SUPERman is that he is just that SUPER.
The kryptonite is more than enough as a "deterrent".
Just make him as freaking powerful as possible, I am talking pick up the planet and whip it into the sun powerful !!

SimonM
07-24-2012, 01:03 PM
After all, some comic has to have god-fights in it. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
07-24-2012, 01:08 PM
After all, some comic has to have god-fights in it. ;)

Yep.
That is what makes this character so freaking awesome.
"A God that walks amongst Us".

SimonM
07-24-2012, 01:10 PM
It does get a bit challenging when 90% of the rogues galleries in the DC universe could be solved by Supes flying forward and punching.

But, yeah, I do enjoy the ones where he's up against some monstrously powerful alien menace... or some actually intelligent Lex scheme.

sanjuro_ronin
07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
It does get a bit challenging when 90% of the rogues galleries in the DC universe could be solved by Supes flying forward and punching.

But, yeah, I do enjoy the ones where he's up against some monstrously powerful alien menace... or some actually intelligent Lex scheme.

Indeed.
To me the story is really how superman that CAN dominate the planet, choose to SERVE the planet.
As a Christian that has some serious "undertones" of course and maybe that is why I like it.

SimonM
07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
I will admit that as a very-non-christian it's possible that those parts of the Superman mythos just don't resonate with me.

Might explain why I was more of a Green Lantern fan growing up. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
07-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I will admit that as a very-non-christian it's possible that those parts of the Superman mythos just don't resonate with me.

I was never a fan of Superman growing up, preferred Batman from Dc and X-men and Master of Kung fu and Iron fist ( of course).
Funny that when I slowly became a Christian, I liked the mythos more.
Maybe I just have "angel envy" LMAO !
It would be super awesome to fly though :D
I recall the first time I sky dived and thought, if this is just falling, what must flying feel like !

Brule
07-24-2012, 01:57 PM

That explains a lot !!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/01/green-lantern-gay-dc-comics

doug maverick
07-24-2012, 03:45 PM
who moved this off topic? this totally belongs in the media section.

Zenshiite
07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
From what Zack Snyder said in the Comic-Con panel... if Man of Steel is a success it could potentially be the start of a DC film universe akin to Marvel... and thus a connected Justice League. That was the implication.

sanjuro_ronin
12-12-2012, 08:17 AM
BAM *****ES !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

MightyB
12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
BAM *****ES !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

I wasn't that interested until I saw this trailer. Very cool.

sanjuro_ronin
04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

Vash
04-18-2013, 06:51 AM
I just peed a tiny little bit.

sanjuro_ronin
04-18-2013, 07:52 AM
I just peed a tiny little bit.

LOL !
I hear ya.

GeneChing
12-09-2022, 10:37 AM
James Gunn reassures DC fans amid rumors about future movies: 'We're still just beginning' (https://ew.com/movies/james-gunn-reassures-fans-rumors-future-dc-movies/)
"Building the next 10 years of story takes time," the new co-chair of DC Films tweeted following reports that projects like Wonder Woman 3 or a Black Adam sequel could be dead.

By Christian Holub
December 08, 2022 at 04:48 PM EST

James Gunn wants to reassure fans about his plans for future DC movies.

The Suicide Squad director was recently named co-chair of DC Films alongside producer Peter Safran, and though they won't present their plans to Warner Bros. Discovery chief David Zaslav until next week, The Hollywood Reporter reports that big changes could be in store, including the potential end of Gal Gadot's time as Wonder Woman.

Representatives for WBD have not responded to EW's request for comment on THR's report, but Gunn himself posted a thread to Twitter on Thursday directly referencing it. Although he didn't confirm or deny specifics, he communicated that he and Safran are prioritizing DC's stories and characters.

"As for the story yesterday in the Hollywood Reporter, some of it is true, some of it is half-true, some of it is not true, & some of it we haven't decided yet whether it's true or not," Gunn wrote in the first tweet, without elaborating which was which.

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2022%2F12%2F08%2FJ ames-Gunn-Wonder-Woman-120822.jpg
James Gunn reassured DC fans on Twitter after reports emerged that future films like 'Wonder Woman 3' could be in trouble. | CREDIT: KEVIN WINTER/GETTY IMAGES; CLAY ENOS/ WARNER BROS.
In another tweet, Gunn continued, "Although this first month at DC has been fruitful, building the next ten years of story takes time & we're still just beginning."

WB representatives did not respond to EW's request for additional comment on Gunn's tweets.

Gunn first made his name as a superhero director at Marvel with the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. He recently oversaw the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, and the new trailer for next year's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 teases one last adventure for the space-faring misfits as the director dedicates his full attention to DC (where he has already overseen the Peacemaker show for HBO Max, featuring John Cena's character from The Suicide Squad).

According to the aforementioned THR report, which was based entirely on unnamed sources, DC is not moving ahead with Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman 3. A long-awaited Man of Steel sequel starring Henry Cavill's Superman may also be dead in the water, even though Cavill recently reprised the role in the post-credits scene for Black Adam. Shortly afterward, he ended his other big franchise commitment by departing Netflix's The Witcher.

Speaking of Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam, a sequel is also said to be "unlikely" given the film's middling box office performance. Tweets this week from Johnson and Gadot — the former asserting that Black Adam actually will turn a profit, and the latter saying she "can't wait to share [Wonder Woman's] next chapter with you" — could be indicative of ongoing debates within the studio.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom and the long-delayed The Flash starring Ezra Miller are still on track to hit theaters next year, but how they connect to other films remains unclear.

"As for more answers about the future of the DCU, I will sadly have to ask you to wait," Gunn wrote in the final tweet in his thread. "We are giving these characters & the stories the time & attention they deserve & we ourselves still have a lot more questions to ask & answer."

Man-of-Steel (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64096-Man-of-Steel)
Justice-League (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69640-Justice-League)
Aquaman-2 (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71221-Aquaman-2)
Wonder-Woman-3 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71187-Wonder-Woman-3)