PDA

View Full Version : Embarrasing problem with squats

Sharky
09-15-2001, 11:27 PM
hehe, okay don't laugh. It's probably a very novice question, but i've only started doing squats recently. I want to take heavier weights, but there's one problem... I can't lift the weights over my head! I'm using freeweights, so what's the solution? I want to keep the reps down to 8, but that's not really possible now. I don't have anyone to help me at the moment. Do i just have to work on lifting the bar over my head before squatting heavier weights? Any help would be cool

Edd

=============
"You can't see it if you blind but we will always prevail (true)/Life is like the open sea, the truth is the wind in our sail/And in the end, our names is on the lips of dying men/If ever crushed in the earth, we always rise again/When the words of lying men sound lush like the sound of a violin/The truth is there, it's just the heart you gotta find it in" - Talib Kweli

SevenStar
09-15-2001, 11:33 PM
Do you have a flat bench or something you can use as one? if so, put the barbell on the rack and get under it. If not, you're screwed. There's no way in he11 I can lift what I squat over my head.

those who make war against the United States have chosen their own destruction - dubya

Sharky
09-15-2001, 11:37 PM
yeah i do, but i reckon it's a bit low, at like waist height. Actually i reckon i might be able to do it... it's just that the bench isn't meant for it i think... bits sticking out in the wrong places :rolleyes:

Thanks though seven, i think it will work!

"You can't see it if you blind but we will always prevail (true)/Life is like the open sea, the truth is the wind in our sail/And in the end, our names is on the lips of dying men/If ever crushed in the earth, we always rise again/When the words of lying men sound lush like the sound of a violin/The truth is there, it's just the heart you gotta find it in" - Talib Kweli

SevenStar
09-15-2001, 11:49 PM
does the bench move? At our gym, the bench moves, leaving you with just a rack.

those who make war against the United States have chosen their own destruction - dubya

Sharky
09-15-2001, 11:53 PM
Heh, nah man, i created a Cheapogymâ„¢ in my garage :) comprising some cool stuff - that not being one of them :(

SevenStar
09-16-2001, 12:03 AM
rofl cheapogym? where can I order one? It's gotta be better than soloflex from what I hear...

Stranger
09-16-2001, 12:10 AM
Without a strong spotter to clean the bar and place it on your back or a squat rack, I think you are going to have to settle for Dumbbell squats. Make sure you buy wraps if you go this root, because there is no way in Hell your quads, glutes, and hamstrings will give out before your grip.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Kumkuat
09-16-2001, 01:27 AM
Clean the bar and do front squats for now. Get a rack or a cage if you want to do regular squats.

Lost_Disciple
09-16-2001, 01:45 AM
How about bent knee dumbbell deadlifts as a solution?

To see what I'm talking about:
http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_90poetr.html

It may not be a perfect replacement, but might be the best solution....

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Sharky
09-16-2001, 03:15 AM
thanks guys, i'll work on them. as i'm new to squatting, i'm still at the stage where i can just lift what i want to squat over my head, but my progress with squats has been rapid, and i will soon want heavier weights :)

I'm moving to uni in a week, so i'll have gym access there :D

Thanks again lads.