PDA

View Full Version : Muk Yee Pai - (木耳牌) Wooden Ear Plates & Sek So - (石锁) Stone Locks

KombatKid
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
When I got home today there were some packages waiting for me from Atomic Athletic. I knew exactly what they were before I opened them.

Oh man, let me say that these locks are even cooler than I imagined. I was going to wait for my next workout tomorrow to get going with these but I just couldnt wait.

Roger was nice enough to send me a a first draft of the workout course course that he's writing for the stone locks. Theres several different stone lock workouts listed but I did some of each one. I started off with some basic upper body movements and my grip was fried in no time. Then I moved on to the pushup variations and abdominal work. I finished up with some snatches, cleans and form work. Let me say that my hands and wrists are so worked that I am having trouble typing this. Every exercise with these stresses the grip and that is going to translate into some major striking power. No wonder the monks were so badass.

Just to be clear, I have had extensive work with Russian Kettlebells and there is no contest. There is so much more that can be done with these its not even funny. Another plus is that they don't take up much room and they look so **** cool.
-Kid

KombatKid
05-25-2004, 12:10 PM
I have some pictures, is there any way to post them?

Thanx.

-Kid

Chang Style Novice
05-25-2004, 02:05 PM
If it's small enough, you can attach files to your posts. Look under the message box on your post reply screen.

So, did your mailman say "what kind of bs practical joke is this?"

norther practitioner
05-25-2004, 02:17 PM
there were some packages waiting for me from Atomic Athletic. I knew exactly what they were before I opened them.

I'd hope so... assuming that you ordered them and such.

KombatKid
05-26-2004, 07:05 AM
I guess I dont have a way with words:D Anyhow, heres a pic:

-Kid

Chang Style Novice
05-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Um, no. Here isn't.

SevenStar
05-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by KombatKid
I started off with some basic upper body movements and my grip was fried in no time. Then I moved on to the pushup variations and abdominal work. I finished up with some snatches, cleans and form work. Let me say that my hands and wrists are so worked that I am having trouble typing this. Every exercise with these stresses the grip and that is going to translate into some major striking power.

So far, how is this differing from your kettlebell experiences?

No wonder the monks were so badass.

we don't really KNOW that the monks were badass...

Just to be clear, I have had extensive work with Russian Kettlebells and there is no contest. There is so much more that can be done with these its not even funny.

like what?

IronFist
05-26-2004, 11:43 AM
I echo each of SevenStar's questions.

KombatKid
05-26-2004, 12:05 PM
I have had a ton of people email me for Stone Lock exercise info. I do appreciate Roger sending me the first draft of his Stone Lock course but it would not be fair of me to give away that information for free.

I'll mention a few exercises and thats it.

When I say that I did upper body movements, pushup variations , abdominal etc it was all with Stone locks. The leverages that the locks have make some common exercise into killers.

I did a set of curls with each arm keeping the lock in line with the forearm the whole time. The pressure on the wrist and grip was phenomenal.

Try doing a curl with a kettlebell like that, yeah right, good luck.

Certainly kettlebells lend themselves well to certain exercises. I'm not saying that they are bad, just that there is more variety with stone locks.

SevenStar
05-26-2004, 01:56 PM
I have had a ton of people email me for Stone Lock exercise info. I do appreciate Roger sending me the first draft of his Stone Lock course but it would not be fair of me to give away that information for free.

I don't have an intention on trying them - you don't have to go into detail about the exercises. I want to know what makes them different from kettlebell exercises.

When I say that I did upper body movements, pushup variations , abdominal etc it was all with Stone locks. The leverages that the locks have make some common exercise into killers.

as in gripping the handle of the lock while doing pushups? people do those with kettlebells.

I did a set of curls with each arm keeping the lock in line with the forearm the whole time. The pressure on the wrist and grip was phenomenal.

Try doing a curl with a kettlebell like that, yeah right, good luck.

didn't you get 10 and 20lb locks? with a kb of those weights, I bet you can.

Certainly kettlebells lend themselves well to certain exercises. I'm not saying that they are bad, just that there is more variety with stone locks.

we understand - I'm not saying locks are bad. We're curious about this variety you keep talking about.

KombatKid
05-26-2004, 02:18 PM
I don't have an intention on trying them - you don't have to go into detail about the exercises. I want to know what makes them different from kettlebell exercises.

Let me leave it as this, due to the shape and design of the stone lock, the center of mass, the handle size and the physics involved, you can do almost all of the KB exercises with stone locks, there are few stone lock exercises that can be done with kettlebells.

If you have no intention of trying them then there is no point in me telling you much about them since you would have to try them to truly understand.

didn't you get 10 and 20lb locks? with a kb of those weights, I bet you can.

Actually no you cant, I have used the smaller kettlebells and you can't do anything like this with them.

Have you ever used kettlebells?

SevenStar
05-27-2004, 04:20 AM
yeah, I have.

KombatKid
05-27-2004, 06:10 AM
We don't believe you.

SevenStar
05-27-2004, 08:36 AM
wouldn't be the first time. I'm all about proof myself though, so here's what I'll do. The KB I have access to is a heavier one - not sure of the weight, but I KNOW I can't curl it and keep it on line with my wrist. Dragondoor sells smaller ones now (the women's line) - I will order a set, and if I can do it, I will get video and post it here.

Sound good?

KombatKid
05-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Yes, order the women's line. When you try the curl, make sure your palm is up. You can also try a hammer curl and press with it and also be sure to also get some footage of you doing a pushup or handstand on them.

Good luck!

KombatKid
05-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Get the 18 pounders.

MonkeySlap Too
05-27-2004, 09:27 AM
KK - KFO is a tough crowd...it''s best to detail specifics to win people over. Me, I'm a nut for old-time training devices, but the challenge falls into garage space -- what becomes redundant? Do I need Stone Locks when I have Club Bells, Cinder Blocks, and other weights? Don't know...but I'd love to hear some things that might woo me.

Now the stone balls - those I'll be picking up...

rubthebuddha
05-27-2004, 09:34 AM
wouldn't the fact that curling a kb like that is more difficult make it better, as the challenge is greater? kbs are more difficult than standard dumbbells, and that difficulty is one of their stronger selling points.

SevenStar
05-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too

Now the stone balls - those I'll be picking up...

Nobody touches my balls...

Chang Style Novice
05-27-2004, 09:54 AM
He said stone, not stank...

KombatKid
05-27-2004, 10:07 AM
wouldn't the fact that curling a kb like that is more difficult make it better, as the challenge is greater? kbs are more difficult than standard dumbbells, and that difficulty is one of their stronger selling points.

Absolutely, but is it even possible to do that with the light kettlebells? We'll see if Seven Star can. I'm willing to bet that most people can't. So if you can great, but for most people, they will have to get another piece of equipment for that function.

When looking at any piece of equipment, you have to take into account a number of things. As Monkey Slap mentioned, space will always be an issue.

More importantly, the question should be asked, "If I buy this, what can I get out of it and what can it do for me?"

I have been searching for stone locks for years and I guess was in the right place at the right to to find them. At first, I just wanted them because I had been searching for them for so long but now that I actually own a set, I find that they truly are awesome training tools.

I dont know about everyone else but I like to get the most out of my training time. Although you could do some of the same movements with dumbbells or kettlekebells, the grip and forearm are not emphasized as much. This means taking exta time to work the grip and wrists properly.

This is not necessarily a bad thing it becomes especially important when you don't have all the time in the world to work out. As I mentioned before, these are great for doing various kinds of pushups or handstands on. I learned several more variations I wouldnt have though of from Roger's course. Sure, you can get some cheap pushup handles but that is more money you would have to spend and something else to find space for.

As you mention rubthebuddha, theres no sense in having several different items that accomplish the same goal. It does become redundant.

I see the locks as an awesome combination of form and functionality. They don't take up much room, make many exercises much more intense, and can be used for several different movements that you cant do with anything else.

You have to also ask yourself "What am I training for?" You could get very proficient at Olympic lifting but that might not necessarily help you be a better fighter. I know that when I train with stone locks, they are strengthening my core, entire upper body and emphasing my wrists and grip strength. My lower body is greatly worked too with stance and posture work. All of this together means that stone lock training is making me a better martial artist in a quicker amount of time.

SevenStar
05-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
He said stone, not stank...

Which is why red5 didn't respond...

SevenStar
05-27-2004, 01:01 PM

All of this together means that stone lock training is making me a better martial artist in a quicker amount of time.

compared to whom?

norther practitioner
05-27-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm going to guess himself previously.

KombatKid
05-27-2004, 03:21 PM
You would be correct Mr. Northern Practitioner.

Today's workout was even better.

rubthebuddha
05-27-2004, 03:43 PM
We'll see if Seven Star can. I'm willing to bet that most people can't. seven is about as close to being like "most people" in regard to strength as xebsball is in regard to singularity of person.

As you mention rubthebuddha, theres no sense in having several different items that accomplish the same goal. It does become redundant. i said nothing about redundancy. i was referring to the whole concept of doing something that's more difficult -- the harder it is, the stronger it will make you (unless you lose a lung doing it). if curling a kb is more difficult as described, i'd shoot for that.

in regard to redundancy, i actually like working with different tools -- they each have their own quirks that give you a little different workout. i use bands, body weight and dumbbells. had i enough buttons in my bank account, i'd have several kbs and locks of varying weights sitting in my garage. however, i'm not fabulously well-to-do, so i'll have to make do with what i gots.

KombatKid
05-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Oops, sorry, it was monkey slap that mentioned redundancy.

rubthebuddha
05-27-2004, 11:22 PM
that would have been terribly ironic if that was doubly-posted. i guess murphy is asleep tonight. :D

kk -- no worries. a good tool is a good tool. like i said, i'd love to have a set in my pile of training gear. :)

KombatKid
06-24-2004, 07:28 AM
wouldn't be the first time. I'm all about proof myself though, so here's what I'll do. The KB I have access to is a heavier one - not sure of the weight, but I KNOW I can't curl it and keep it on line with my wrist. Dragondoor sells smaller ones now (the women's line) - I will order a set, and if I can do it, I will get video and post it here.

Hey Seven Star, have your kettlebells come in yet?

I had a buddy of mine who can **** near close the #3 gripper try to do curls with an 18 lb kettlebell. He couldnt do it, ditto on the pushups and handstands so I'm interested to see what you can do.

My stone lock training has been unbelievable and my grip is stronger than ever. I closed the #2 gripper for six reps yesterday.

Kick Ass!
-Kid

SevenStar
06-24-2004, 08:55 AM
I haven't been able to - that's part of the problem of having family to support. Hopefully I can get them either this payday or next.

you ordered the COC? cool.

WanderingMonk
06-24-2004, 09:38 PM
how about kb on the cheap. go to your local department store. Look up the auto aile and find those big red PVC tanks that are used to store gasolne. buy two for what $15 total. fill it with rocks/water whatever. you got something that will sub for kb.

I live on a very tight budget.

SevenStar
07-31-2006, 02:46 AM
Man, time flies. Anywho, I thought about this thread when we broke out the KBs today and did some curls. with the 35lb KB, I was able to do curls and keep my wrist in line. I did 5 reps without much problem.

David Jamieson
07-31-2006, 06:50 AM
too bad roger lapointe is a spam king.

guy's got as much class as a klik sandwhich at a kosher picnic the way he farms emails and blasts us with his marketing crap.

many would like to burn him at the stake. :mad:

ps there are cheaper and easily as effective alternative to locks and balls made of stone. It's old technology, dregged up and blown out as new.

sure you'll get a good workout.

lift anything repetitively again and again and you'll get stronger.

Three Harmonies
07-31-2006, 01:59 PM
I like Wondering Monks idea. Hellofa lot cheaper!!!!!

Dude, you must be rich to afford a whole set of locks. Those prices are assnine! Do you know how many hours of private lessons I could afford with my teacher (any teacher for that matter) with the chunk of change you just threw down for some weights with handles?????
Hope they make you happy. Good luck.
Cheers
Jake :cool:

David Jamieson
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Here's an alterative and it's fairly difficult to waork with because of the alive nature of the weight.

metal, stone are dead weight.

water on teh other hand is dynamic.

5 gallon jug with a handle. Fill it with water. Cap it. Do your thing. Notice the difference between moving water around and moving metal or stone. It's completely different and the muscles need to be corrected throughout the entire range of motion whereas with stone or metal, once you're in a groove with the motion, you don't really need to adjust so much as sustain repitition.

Feel free to use this idea, but don't rip it off as your own! lol or, go haead and steal it, I don't care, it's just another alternative to working yourself.

btw and fwiw, 5 gallons of water weighs 41.7 pounds. You can increase or decrease the weight easily. just remember that when there is less water, there will be more motion inside the vessel and subsequently your muscles will need more correction as they go through the range of motion.

try it, enjoy it.

ngokfei
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Classical Chinese Training Apparatus.
Mok Yee Pai - (木耳牌) Wooden Ear Plates & Sek So - (石锁) Stone Locks
http://www.orientalsignboards.20m.com/photo3_6.html

ngokfei
07-18-2012, 09:49 PM
mainland documentary on this type of training.
http://v.ku6.com/special/show_3392786/PK-fog0RFCHEDaYa.html

CYMac
08-05-2012, 07:49 AM
nice! Where can you even buy it????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLoCMqVM5AE

HERE is what I use, easy to find.

ngokfei
12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
If your interested in purchasing either the Muk Yee Pai or the Sek Soh you can contact me at
www.orientalsignboards.20m.com and e-mail me directly at ngokfei@juno.com

ngokfei
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Our latest models.

Some like the Stone finish but more are preferring colors and specific custom weights.

You will also notice that we also offer different diameter handles for individuals with smaller hands (ie: ladies and kids)

An added feature we now offer personalized engraved calligraphy on them as well. (sorry the green one hasn't been finished yet at the time of the photo)

Price Generally between $89 & $99 per pair.

Oso
03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
nice. are the colored ones wood?

are you manufacturing yourself?

ngokfei
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Yep I make them myself.
I use laminated wood.
its much more stable then solid wood that can split in time from shrinkage, etc.

Oso
03-06-2013, 12:22 AM
oh, so, from a 'glue lam' architectural beam? good thinking!

Kevin73
03-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Those are very nice. I use the "stone locks" as part of my karate training. The Goju-Ryu lineages still use them as part of their hojo undo.

I use modern kettlebells for it since I didn't have another option. But, again those are VERY nice looking!

sanjuro_ronin
03-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Those are very nice. I use the "stone locks" as part of my karate training. The Goju-Ryu lineages still use them as part of their hojo undo.

I use modern kettlebells for it since I didn't have another option. But, again those are VERY nice looking!

Ditto for the kettlebells.
When I visited the kyokushin hombo dojo in Japan and the Jundokan in Okinawa, they had the stone ones AND kettlebells.

ngokfei
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Kettlebells are a good substitute for the beginner levels of training of Locks - basic lift, press and simple swings.

They are not balanced well for the more advanced exercises of tossing, twirling and propping.

SevenStar
03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Kettlebells are a good substitute for the beginner levels of training of Locks - basic lift, press and simple swings.

They are not balanced well for the more advanced exercises of tossing, twirling and propping.

What are you doing with locks that you can't do with a kettlebell?

ngokfei
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
watch

STone Locks Usage (https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+stone+locks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.google:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

GeneChing
10-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Earned it.

How does this 55-yr-old Sichuan man stay so fit? By walking 200 meters every day wearing a pair of 70 kg stone shoes (http://shanghaiist.com/2015/10/30/stone_shoe_workout.php)

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/new_workout5.jpg

Wanna get buff like this 55-year-old Sichuan dude? All you have to do is buy a pair 70 kg stone shoes and walk around in them every day for the next 30 years. Gotta want it!

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/new_workout.jpg

Huang Baoquan lives in a small village outside of Sichuan. He owes his impressive physique all to a pair of giant stone shoes.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/new_workout3.jpg

As part of his daily exercise routine, Huang puts on the 70 kg sneakers and goes for a nice 200 meter walk while wearing the weighted training footwear.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/new_workout2.jpg

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/new_workout6.jpg

His mother claims that Huang has been doing this daily for the past 30 years. With a bod like that, we don't doubt it.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/new_workout4.jpg

We will see if Huang's stone shoes become an exercise craze and takes off like doing the bear walk has in Henan:

Still, there seem to be other, less insane, options to keeping fit as you get older. Like swimming, for instance:

Perhaps, if you are looking for the best results, you might want to try combining all of these exercises along with recklessly rolling down flights of stone stairs.

[Images via NetEase // CCTV]