PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about WCK history-lineage

stonecrusher69
07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
and interestion discussion about WC history..

the long version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL2EWZKVGPc

the short version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXyuCJS9Ec

Vajramusti
07-19-2012, 02:15 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are we having fun??!!!!

GlennR
07-19-2012, 02:30 PM

What are they talking about?

Perhaps a review of the latest Batman film?

nasmedicine
07-19-2012, 02:31 PM

Press the CC button at the bottom of the vid, that's what I did to get the captions to appear. Very interesting stuff.

GlennR
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Press the CC button at the bottom of the vid, that's what I did to get the captions to appear. Very interesting stuff.

Ah, cool thanks

Vajramusti
07-19-2012, 02:36 PM

------------------------------------------------
The bot man do
and the emerging Stephen Chan's muscle show
and now you know.

The shadow knows.

GlennR
07-19-2012, 03:17 PM
The bot man do
and the emerging Stephen Chan's muscle show
and now you know.

The shadow knows.

I just had a look at the short one and bits and pieces of the longer one.

I actually have my own SC story
He came to Australia to do some seminars way back in 1995 or so. His claim to fame was his dvd of kicks and, being fond of kicking, i went along.

It was him and his assistant and im pretty sure the guy to the right of him in the video, Coach Chong, is the same guy
Not a lot of people, maybe 15, and we all went through SLT to highlight the different lineages there. As i was a mainland guy he took an interest in me as he had just visited Sum Nung (mainland as well obviously)

He made the comment that my style (as was SM's) was very close range, more so than his and the other HK styles.

Anyway, it soon became apparent that most of the people were fairly junior so myself and Chong basically chi-sao'd and beat each other up for an hour or so.
Couldn't speak a word of english, very powerful and a thorough gentleman.

SC however, i was not so warm on. Quick to criticise all other lineages, would not roll with anyone and radiated an air of superiority.

Obviously i was there to look at some of his kicks, which he evaded doing, and after i asked him for about the 4th time his response was "buy my video's" which ofcourse he had ready to be purchased.

And one last thing that i still laugh about, it was at a Golds Gym and the entire wall behind us was floor to ceiling mirrors. Ive never seen anyone check themselves out more, vanity is certainly one of his strengths ;)

To be honest, he's a knob and those two video's are completely self-serving

stonecrusher69
07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are we having fun??!!!!

Oh yeah tons!!! ;)

Vajramusti
07-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I just had a look at the short one and bits and pieces of the longer one.

I actually have my own SC story
He came to Australia to do some seminars way back in 1995 or so. His claim to fame was his dvd of kicks and, being fond of kicking, i went along.

It was him and his assistant and im pretty sure the guy to the right of him in the video, Coach Chong, is the same guy
Not a lot of people, maybe 15, and we all went through SLT to highlight the different lineages there. As i was a mainland guy he took an interest in me as he had just visited Sum Nung (mainland as well obviously)

He made the comment that my style (as was SM's) was very close range, more so than his and the other HK styles.

Anyway, it soon became apparent that most of the people were fairly junior so myself and Chong basically chi-sao'd and beat each other up for an hour or so.

Couldn't speak a word of english, very powerful and a thorough gentleman.

SC however, i was not so warm on. Quick to criticise all other lineages, would not roll with anyone and radiated an air of superiority.

Obviously i was there to look at some of his kicks, which he evaded doing, and after i asked him for about the 4th time his response was "buy my video's" which ofcourse he had ready to be purchased.

And one last thing that i still laugh about, it was at a Golds Gym and the entire wall behind us was floor to ceiling mirrors. Ive never seen anyone check themselves out more, vanity is certainly one of his strengths ;)

To be honest, he's a knob and those two video's are completely self-serving

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got it.

Don't buy my videos please- ain't got none.

GlennR
07-19-2012, 03:46 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got it.

Don't buy my videos please- ain't got none.

I just remembered more (age is getting to me)

He had an Australian representative, cant recall his name, i guess about 30 and a massive guy, at the seminar as well.

After they sort of worked out who was at the seminar, it quickly turned into a recruitment exercise, with SC saying we could learn of his guy in Oz who learnt of SC every 6 months in HK.... what an offer!

Anyway, SC got his guy to roll with me and he was very aggressive, had a few shots at me, missed, so i belted him a few times.
This didnt impress SC as i think he thought his guy would walk all over me

Being the gent i am i dropped my hands, as we had stopped, and the guy cracked me. It was going to get ugly so SC sent his guy to "assist" someone else.
Cheap shot (everyone leaving the seminar commented) and needless to say the SC Australian academy never took of ;)

Ahhh, memories...........

Vajramusti
07-19-2012, 03:53 PM
I just remembered more (age is getting to me)

He had an Australian representative, cant recall his name, i guess about 30 and a massive guy, at the seminar as well.

After they sort of worked out who was at the seminar, it quickly turned into a recruitment exercise, with SC saying we could learn of his guy in Oz who learnt of SC every 6 months in HK.... what an offer!

Anyway, SC got his guy to roll with me and he was very aggressive, had a few shots at me, missed, so i belted him a few times.
This didnt impress SC as i think he thought his guy would walk all over me

Being the gent i am i dropped my hands, as we had stopped, and the guy cracked me. It was going to get ugly so SC sent his guy to "assist" someone else.
Cheap shot (everyone leaving the seminar commented) and needless to say the SC Australian academy never took of ;)

Ahhh, memories...........
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you seen his big WC book with well oiled muscles?

He is openly recruiting in the video--- "my sifu is old but you can contact me!!"

GlennR
07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you seen his big WC book with well oiled muscles?

He is openly recruiting in the video--- "my sifu is old but you can contact me!!"

Yep, seen that one
Hey, all good if he's into weight training, but i think that book was more a photo album for his own showboating

Vajramusti
07-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Yep, seen that one
Hey, all good if he's into weight training, but i think that book was more a photo album for his own showboating
------------------------------------------
Nothing negative about his weight training.

He just criticizes every one--- and he says in the video that his punch is stronger than that of his sifu's.
My my-- ego and the money can!

Me thinks that wing chun numbers shouid shrink rather than expand.

GlennR
07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
------------------------------------------
Nothing negative about his weight training.

He just criticizes every one--- and he says in the video that his punch is stronger than that of his sifu's.
My my-- ego and the money can!

Me thinks that wing chun numbers shouid shrink rather than expand.

Well 30 years and 30kgs (maybe 40) should make him punch harder.

Funny thing was, Chong was a really good guy and i always wondered what he saw in Chan

k gledhill
07-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Watched long version CC....marketing. we used to laugh watching SC struggle while holding the bcd in his video. Typical BS.

LoneTiger108
07-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Personally I am not interested in hearing even more stories about self promoters and the like from you guys here!! :rolleyes:

BUT I would urge anyone who is learning Wing Chun to listen to what the old boy Chow Sze Chuen is saying because there are some little flecks of gold dust in this clip about Ip Mans method of teaching (especially about the blades) All from 1st hand experience which, in some parts, even looks as though he is embarrassing others present with his strong words of wisdom...

stonecrusher69
07-20-2012, 08:36 AM
I guess everyone wants to believe Ip Man taught everyone the same,and everyone has the same information..

Vajramusti
07-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I guess everyone wants to believe Ip Man taught everyone the same,and everyone has the same information..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also even in classes there a A, B, C, D, F students, irregular attendees and sporadic auditors.......
For me it's simple...the blades were controlling him rather than the other way around.

Vajramusti
07-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Re: Chow tze chuen and Stephen Chan claims and marketing.::

There are lots of kicks in wing chun development-though in application the kicks are even more dependent on single leg balances than the hands. Chow sifu is leaning back on some of his kicks-
a no no.

Ip man himself was a very very good kicker in his time.Many of his students did not learn much kicking in the open classes-but his kicks came out from nowhere in chi sao and gor sao and lat sao.
Wing chun kicking and footwork are closely inter-related. Ip Man did not do chi sao with most of his students. IMO- it shows.

I normally would not comment on Chow sifu or any other IM direct student- but together with Chan's marketing - he is too critical of other IM students. Unfortunately beating one's own drum exclusively has become too common. PS-the blooming ego and self promotion..Chow also said that he corrected IM's dummy motions because IM was being forgetful.

GlennR
07-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Personally I am not interested in hearing even more stories about self promoters and the like from you guys here!! :rolleyes:

BUT I would urge anyone who is learning Wing Chun to listen to what the old boy Chow Sze Chuen is saying because there are some little flecks of gold dust in this clip about Ip Mans method of teaching (especially about the blades) All from 1st hand experience which, in some parts, even looks as though he is embarrassing others present with his strong words of wisdom...

I think youre too kind Spencer, his "wisdom" was hidden behind his own, not so subtle, chest beating

Vajramusti
07-22-2012, 06:45 AM
I think youre too kind Spencer, his "wisdom" was hidden behind his own, not so subtle, chest beating
---------------------------------------------
lol....

and Chan's body oil.

LoneTiger108
07-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Really?? An old man chest beating for the camera?? Never in a million years... :rolleyes:

I found the chat about how to beat the 'Gweilo' quite an eye opener considering the previous threads on how Ip man didn't know Pinsan, yet Chow mentions it loads as being fundamental to the knives and fist work of Wing Chun.

It's Chan I'm not interested in, but having seen Chow in action in Foshan, and hearing his no nonsene memories of his actual time learning with Ip Man I think we could all learn a little from him to be honest... of course if you run a business teaching Wing Chun you obviously WILL be offended by what he has to say about that! :eek:

Oh! And obviously nobody knows the secret knife methods either, and he proves that to be fact by saying some 'made theirs up to save face'!! I mean, that's pure genius AND 100% honest IMHHHO because he says it all with such conviction.

Of course, he was only talking of the people he 'knew' who learnt knife as he was 1 of only 3 in his day... and the arguments continue...

Vajramusti
07-23-2012, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1180564]Really?? An old man chest beating for the camera?? Never in a million years... :rolleyes:

Not just for the camera-also doe what is called the selfish gene- perpetuation of progeny.

I was not impressed with his knife motions.
Enough for me. Cheers.

LoneTiger108
07-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I was not impressed with his knife motions.

I thought he done considerably well for his age, and showed more distinctive Tang Ma methods than I generally see from young whipper snappers lol! ;)

Even a little shadowless kick was thrown in too at one point ;) :D

Robinhood
07-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Henrick has more real history then those guys here say stuff.

Just More trees, still missing forest.

Vajramusti
07-23-2012, 02:13 PM
How is this related to me... ? :cool:

J, ;)
------------------------------------------------------------
not directed at you Jox. Just explaining my intent,

The internet conversations often destroy intent.

anerlich
07-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Jeez, you're even starting to post with his, er ... unusual grammar.

A real hero-worshipper would learn to spell his hero's name correctly, however.

kentchang
07-23-2012, 11:24 PM

You must be kidding:eek:

Vajramusti
07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Lineage stories are just that -stories.