stonecrusher69
07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhEPE6yRYz4

part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxA5Q4AWeVU

Vajramusti
07-20-2012, 09:18 AM
part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhEPE6yRYz4

part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxA5Q4AWeVU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Not history- yet another story...there are lots of stories.

SimonM
07-20-2012, 11:45 AM
The TRUE secret true story of WC

It all started in the parking lot of a Hong Kong KFC, when Ip Man decided to start having a fight with himself - due to his delusion that he was in fact two different people.

He was so vigorously beating himself in the face that gawkers happening by asked to join him.

Thus began Wing Chun.

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
notice how there are never any discussions about the secret histories of boxing or wrestling ?
Why?
Because boxers and wrestlers couldn't care less since it matters ZERO to them.
And that is how much it shoudl matter to ANY one who does a practical MA.

Vajramusti
07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
notice how there are never any discussions about the secret histories of boxing or wrestling ?
Why?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Boxing and wrestling have been around both in the west and the east for a long long time--BC!
General awareness of wing chun is relatively recent- Ip man's teaching in Hong Kong got popular interest going from 1950- a fairly recent event. Ip man's own reference to history is fairly brief.

Since then some other branches of wing chun began seeking greater attention. One way of seeking attention has been to claim old origins and a distinct history.

Serious long time practitioners do NOT spend time quibbling about ancient history... though forum discussions can give a different impression.

Some recent attempts at MARKETING involves "stories" not history.

The recent discussion on Chow is about techniques and stances-not really history.

There are scholarly or semi scholarly histories of boxing and wrestling- none on wing chun that I am aware of except for lineage marketing.

guy b.
07-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Chinese martial arts and the people attracted to them like to make up origin stories, secret hidden techniques, endless levels of training and accomplishment and interminable theory. It is a shame.

Vajramusti
07-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Chinese martial arts and the people attracted to them like to make up origin stories, secret hidden techniques, endless levels of training and accomplishment and interminable theory. It is a shame.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Substantial levels of training and concepts in TCMA are good things IMO.
Myths of origins, secret societies are part of western societies too.
We often notice these things in other societies but is often un-noticed in our own.

guy b.
07-20-2012, 03:34 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Substantial levels of training and concepts in TCMA are good things IMO.
Myths of origins, secret societies are part of western societies too.
We often notice these things in other societies but is often un-noticed in our own.

"Training and concepts" are only worthwhile if they are not superfluous, meaningless or downright incorrect. See the qi thread for examples of the multitude of often meaningless abstraction that is purposefully cultivated in Chinese MA. It is part of the culture.

An equivalent does not exist in western martial arts because perceived success is based upon physical performance much more than is typical in Chinese MA. Of course traditional "knowledge" like the advice to boxers not to use weights persists, but it is easily discredited by looking at contest results.

Phil Redmond
07-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Why?
Exactly, people keep telling stories and making up histories instead of training to fight.
All the "true" history means nothing when you in front of someone bent on wrecking you.

k gledhill
07-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Exactly, people keep telling stories and making up histories instead of training to fight.
All the "true" history means nothing when you in front of someone bent on wrecking you.

Yes to that.

EternalSpring
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
True, history doesn't do jack for one's kung fu, but I still like to hear the stories in the same sense that I like to read a good graphic novel or watch a good movie. There is a limit to even that though.

PalmStriker
07-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Interesting information conveyed in both part one and two. Adds to my WC perspective. Thanks for links, StoneCrusher! :)

YouKnowWho
07-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Why?

I have over 500 TCMA books. I have always skip the history part and never read it. I don't care about how our ancestors could do, I only care about what the book can help me in combat.

stonecrusher69
07-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Why?

go to any book store there are tons a books on history of boxing and wrestling or any other sport.. The words secret is Chinese marking..westerners use other marketing phrases

Vajramusti
07-23-2012, 09:46 PM
go to any book store there are tons a books on history of boxing and wrestling or any other sport.. The words secret is Chinese marking..westerners use other marketing phrases
-----------------------------------

That is true. Just google boxing history or wrestling history!!

GlennR
07-23-2012, 10:34 PM
-----------------------------------

That is true. Just google boxing history or wrestling history!!

Sure, but so much of boxing history is verifiable... its real

So much WC "history" is just somebody's story, recollection or opinion with no one to verify it.

Vajramusti
07-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Sure, but so much of boxing history is verifiable... its real

So much WC "history" is just somebody's story, recollection or opinion with no one to verify it.
------------------------------------
yup-that's why I just do wing chun and usually smile at the latest creation stories.

Vajramusti
02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
WSL on dynamics of chum kil http://youtu.be/--wgG_TsHIQ

----------------------------------

a good clip

k gledhill
02-12-2013, 05:14 AM
http://youtu.be/YW8nckzt-Bc

wingchunIan
02-12-2013, 06:09 AM
http://youtu.be/YW8nckzt-Bc

The blade design is pretty impressive to be able to hold that edge........

k gledhill
02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
The blade design is pretty impressive to be able to hold that edge........

Cut through an arm easy....back in the day.