PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin & Emei

Semillas
07-24-2012, 04:14 AM
Many styles were developed in Emeishan, some of them for monks Shaolin, others were picked up by the Monastery Shaolin. Does somebody know the name of some monastery, temple or pagoda of Emeishan where some of these systems were developed?

David Jamieson
07-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Hi Semillas, welcome to the forum.

If you go to the ezine, you will find numerous articles concerning the questions you are asking.

Gene Ching, your admin and host here at KFM is also a writer who has turned out many an article on the subject you are interested in and has even compiled a book called Shaolin Trips.

So, step one, have a look through the ezine articles. They are free to read, no charge, enjoy! http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/index.php

Second, you can use the search function here in the forums as well and find threads and topics about what you would like to know about. This site has a wealth of information in it as it has been online for ages and is one of the oldest if not the oldest internet site for Kung Fu information.

Hope that helps.
Good luck and cheers.

GeneChing
07-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Semillas, I actually train in Shaolin at O-Mei Kung Fu (http://www.usaomei.com/wu/) now, but this is today and you're asking about history. Accordingly, my book Shaolin Trips (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1) touches on the connection between the two. Another book worthy of your attention is that engages this relationship is The Shaolin Monastery (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49464) by Meir Shahar. You should also take a look at our Emei special issue (Sep 2000) (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=124). There are several temples on Emei. It's a significant martial mountain.

DeHui702
08-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Emeishan has a small museum area at the base of Emeishan with a couple of a kung fu monk statues(doing drunken style) and a BaiMei statue sitting with a bunch of monkeys. There's a short history of him in which it is stated he is the first kung fu master with a legitimate historical record. That's the extent of martial arts related things there. There are few martial arts schools down in the city and they are small even by American standards.

Emeishan is significant because it is one of China's Four Sacred Mountains. Both Buddhism and Taoism are here. Wall reliefs depicting Green Tara or Amitabha surrounded by Immortals are interesting and unique. Pu Xian Bodhisattva is the patron of the mountain so you will see statues of him on his six tusked elephant in many places. The monkeys here are absolutely unafraid of humans and will take your stuff and act like brats. Zip your pockets and don't wear red. They're pretty funny.

The many temples all over Emeishan are worth going to see. Some are huge and amazing. Many of them operate as hostels(Crouching Tiger Temple is one) and you can live there with the monks and have some of the local green tea while you relax in the sprawling woods. There are dozens of temples but if you're in good shape, you should be able to journey around to most of them. Little shops appear on the trailsides everywhere. They all sell pretty much the same stuff..like little gourd wine jugs that I would recommend never drinking out of..wooden taiji swords for kids, and beads of all shapes and sizes. Hotels in the area are very cheap but they do not speak much (if any) English so carry a phrase book.

Tea Serpent
08-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Emeishan has a small museum area at the base of Emeishan with a couple of a kung fu monk statues(doing drunken style) and a BaiMei statue sitting with a bunch of monkeys. There's a short history of him in which it is stated he is the first kung fu master with a legitimate historical record.
I assume you mean Bai Yuan Lao Ren not Bai Mei. Both of them are associated with Emei however they are separated by about 2000 years time.
Bai Yuan Lao Ren is often credited with originating the martial tradition at Emei. He is also supposed to be the creator of Tong Bi / Tong Bei quan as well as the teacher of Yue Nu (The Maiden of Yue / South Forest Maiden) who taught swordplay to emperor Goujian's army.
Bai Yuan Lao Ren created his style by imitating the local monkeys.

Sometimes you also hear about Jiu Tian Xuan Nu (9 Heavens Mysterious Maiden) being the originator of Emei martial arts. She was a goddess who taught military strategy to the yellow emperor and helped him defeat Chiyou.

Bai Mei lived 2000 years later and had nothing to do with monkeys. He was one of the Five Ancestors of Southern Shaolin. He supposedly became a Taoist after the burning of the temple and hid at mt.Emei either before or after betraying the anti Qing Shaolin rebels.

But I wouldn't say that any of them has a legitimate record unless you count mythology.

Emeishan is significant because it is one of China's Four Sacred Mountains.

It's one of the four sacred Chinese Buddhist mountains.
There are multiple lists of Chinese sacred mountains.

WangBazi
08-07-2012, 07:32 AM
thats true.

Emei is not so popular so many people around Emei can really fight. They like to be rapers or drug sellers sometimes. Not really rape, but the family is afraid so the daughter respects them and works for them. Some bad guys, but the kung fu is top shelf. I think there kung fu is better because they use it to beat people up. Many Daoists kung fus are mobsters.

Shaolin is very pure to tourists, then they eat meat on the weekends and use hookers. They are good at performing and spreading the name of kung fu, but only 18 people know the real shaolin. Others only know some pieces.

Very interesting. So many ways, but all of them are kung fu family brothers.

Semillas
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Many people Know about the many relationship between theese two great group. But I listened that a Shaolin Monastery was built in Emei Shan, several century ago.

Many shaolin monks moved to Emei Shan, so it is not strange that there were any Shaolin centre there.

Any information about it?

Thank you.

P.D.T. Sorry for my poor english.