PDA

View Full Version : How to fit fitness with the "Fu"?

David
09-16-2001, 04:54 PM
How does extra curricular gym work or suchlike fit in with martial training? For me, fear of not being fit for class makes me go easier on myself out of class than I want to be. That probably sounds stupid.

Say you have a programme, cycling round your muscle groups on a week or a 2 week basis (whatever), how do you time it so that you're able to train in class properly?

Like: "Sorry Sifu, I can't do any more punching - I did weights yesterday". Or worse: " Sorry Sifu, I can't do punching today cos I have to do weights tomorrow and I don't want to be tired!!"

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

ElPietro
09-16-2001, 09:11 PM
Ok I'm in this specific situation all the time. If I do legs or back at the gym then my MA training suffers somewhat, only in that I will be stiff and weaker than normal. I still go to martial arts regardless of when I worked out...sometimes I try to plan leg day so that I will have some recovery time prior to my next MA class. But you shouldn't go light in the gym because of MA. You should always train intensely or you are wasting your time. So either go to the gym and put up with the added pain and stiffness in class...or don't go at all. Usually my instructor can tell what I've worked on 5 minutes into class by when I wince my face. :D

SevenStar
09-17-2001, 08:41 AM
you just have to organize your workout schedule properly. I am in class on mon wed and fri from 6:30 - 9:30 - not wise to do squats on those days of course. I work my upper body on mon wed and fri, and jog/walk 3 miles on tues , thurs and sat, with squats on tues and thurs. I never haver any problem with soreness or anything interfering with my MA training. Also, I do alot of heavy training, which tends to not make me sore, as I am not doing a high number of reps and sets. As for the next day stiffness, make sure you stretch and also be sure to cool down. This is also a problem that I do not have, probably because of my stretching regimen.

those who make war against the United States have chosen their own destruction - dubya