PDA

View Full Version : Kettlebell DVD Recommendations

Hebrew Hammer
07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
I have a crazy schedule that makes training difficult, two jobs and school so often I only have a hour at odd times to work out. Wanted to to get a set of kettle bells and try squeezing a few work outs at home during the week. Right now I'm doing pretty much only running, 5k run this weekend.

Anyone have any great DVD recommendations for a novice?

Raipizo
07-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Try this, a lot cheaper, as for dvds I'm no help sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNp-Y5qUBs4&list=UUsvn_Po0SmunchJYOWpOxMg&index=2&feature=plcp

mickey
07-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Greetings,

I remember seeing Steve Cotter doing some decent stuff with kettlebells.

There is a seller on e bay who is selling some of his stuff at 40-50% off. Seller name: mma-dvds

mickey

IronFist
07-25-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm going to assume the original one from Pavel is probably the best, and most of the rest probably expand on that one.

Paul T England
07-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Seriously, find a local instructor and get a few privates to learn the basics. Either RKC or Sport style are good but the technical details of basic use are very important, as they are in martial arts.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

JamesC
07-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Seriously, find a local instructor and get a few privates to learn the basics. Either RKC or Sport style are good but the technical details of basic use are very important, as they are in martial arts.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

This type of thing cracks me up.

Since when did kettlebells become a highly technical exercise that people are incapable of learning on their own?

There are a lot of things that people are perfectly capable of teaching themselves with the help of constant practice and attention to details.

Bill Starr(and LOTS of other people) taught himself how to do olympic lifts. I taught myself how to squat, deadlift, bench press, press, and powerclean correctly with absolutely no help from anyone other than a book.

madhusudan
07-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Don't know about DVDs, but I recently found Pavel's Enter the Kettlbell at my local library. It starts by teaching you basic exercises to do before you even think of picking up the kettlebell. I found it to have a lot of good information.

donjitsu2
07-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Since when did kettlebells become a highly technical exercise that people are incapable of learning on their own?

Because if you do the swing (the most basic and fundamental KB movement) wrong it MAY screw with your back and it will definitely not be as effective.

I've noticed most people who don't take the time to properly learn the swing do it horribly wrong. I mean, they REALLY suck sh*t at it.

And chances are if you suck at the swing you suck at other stuff too.

Though a simple google search in addition to a Youtube search is all you need to learn proper technique.

Effective and safe KB work is just like martial arts: you don't just learn this sh*t on your own.

Frost
07-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Kettlebells, the only marketing fitness gimic to really catch on, brought to you by the man who lied about his credentials, originally said weights can’t be used for cardio just for strength, then said oh wait kettlebells aren’t weights they are different…… who sold them as much safer and easier than OL bar lifts, then developed a certificate course costing way more than any OL course in order to teach effective technique because they were so difficulty

Honestly this guy could market the shakeweight and make it acceptable to everyone he is a genius

Just buy some heavy dumbell handles get hold of the old york course on line for free, buy some plates and go for it

Dale Dugas
07-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Steve Cotter, David Whitley, and Mike Mahler are the guys to go to about Kettlebells.

I have met both Steve and David personally and know David through my Jook Lum teacher Shifu Roger Hagood. Steve is a great guy and always goes beyond to help his clients and students. David is like me a big strong guy and its nice to have met my southern living doppelganger Kung Fu Brother.

Mike is great, but I have not had the pleasure of meeting personally as of yet but I will get around to it sometime soon.

Burnerbob
07-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Rienhardt Kettlebell Solution is what I use.
Others seem more for the ladies.
Available on his website or Amazon

Dale Dugas
07-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Being that both Steve Cotter and David Whitley are long time martial artists. I would recommend them over anyone else to other people seeking to develop strength through KBs.

JamesC
07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Because if you do the swing (the most basic and fundamental KB movement) wrong it MAY screw with your back and it will definitely not be as effective.

I've noticed most people who don't take the time to properly learn the swing do it horribly wrong. I mean, they REALLY suck sh*t at it.

And chances are if you suck at the swing you suck at other stuff too.

Though a simple google search in addition to a Youtube search is all you need to learn proper technique.

Effective and safe KB work is just like martial arts: you don't just learn this sh*t on your own.

Sorry, but I don't buy that an athletic guy can't learn this stuff by simply following a DVD.

sanjuro_ronin
07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
The dangers of kettlebells is starting too heavy.
Sure having a guy spot you to see what you are doing wrong is NOT a bad thing.
Is it 100% needed for the base moves?
Probably not IF you have some prior Strength training.
A good video will show you how to do it and more importantly how NOT to do it.
Being a former Goju.kyokushin guy, the kettlebells for me are just modern versions of the Sashi and Chishi.

In short, get instruction if you can or get a good video if you can't ( or don't want to) and start slow and light.

sanjuro_ronin
07-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYZ9gKZaI0

donjitsu2
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy that an athletic guy can't learn this stuff by simply following a DVD.

I don't think you and are communicating correctly, because that is exactly what i'm saying... In fact, I don't think the individual absolutely has to even be "athletic" - DVD's are a perfectly fine way to learn.

My issue is with people who simply see someone doing a kettlebell movement and then trying their best to emulate that movement - which they usually fail at. I assumed this is what you meant by not needing instruction.

So, it seems like you and I are actually in agreement. Sorry about the confusion.

JamesC
07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't think you and are communicating correctly, because that is exactly what i'm saying... In fact, I don't think the individual absolutely has to even be "athletic" - DVD's are a perfectly fine way to learn.

My issue is with people who simply see someone doing a kettlebell movement and then trying their best to emulate that movement - which they usually fail at. I assumed this is what you meant by not needing instruction.

So, it seems like you and I are actually in agreement. Sorry about the confusion.

Gotcha. My mistake.

In that case, yeah, lol.

Hebrew Hammer
07-26-2012, 02:27 PM

Are you saying I'm not athletic???!!! :D Thanks for some of the suggestions guys, I will check out Steve Cotter...

As far as doing them correctly, I will understand its important and believe me if I'm not my back will tell me. I'll probably start with 35lbs...its more of a cardio fit core building lifting I'm going for as apposed to body building or powerlifting. I feel very confident I could learn most of the techniques from the vids.

Raipizo
07-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Are you saying I'm not athletic???!!! :D Thanks for some of the suggestions guys, I will check out Steve Cotter...

As far as doing them correctly, I will understand its important and believe me if I'm not my back will tell me. I'll probably start with 35lbs...its more of a cardio fit core building lifting I'm going for as apposed to body building or powerlifting. I feel very confident I could learn most of the techniques from the vids.

Check out your library. Won't cost you a cent, other than late fees lol

Raipizo
07-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Also how are kettle bells better than dumbbells in a martial arts perspective? Just wondering

jdhowland
07-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Also how are kettle bells better than dumbbells in a martial arts perspective? Just wondering

I've never used kettle bells per se but my training includes the muhk yih pai--just another version of the stone or iron "locks" used in many systems but, in this case, made of wood. I've tried doing some of the exercises with dumbells and there is a difference.

The rotation of the arm is harder to control with dumbells because the mass is concentrated outside the line of the arm. The bell/lock shape puts the mass in front of the fist for a longer (and slower) radius of movement. This also allows for more wrist curl/ extension work during the swing.

The weights on a dumbell make close-to-the-body swings impossible.

Lock shaped weights are easier to grip and retain because of the forward distribution of mass.

In our training system the weights are not for developing any kind of punching power. They develop the chain of control and connective tissue strength that conditions the body from the floor up.

IronFist
07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Kettlebells, the only marketing fitness gimic to really catch on, brought to you by the man who lied about his credentials,

You're not the first person I've heard say that.

Details?

IronFist
07-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Regarding the other discussion, I learned the snatch and few other KB lifts from watching one of Pavel's vids, but at that point I had a few years weight lifting experience already and I knew what stuff was supposed to feel like. Also, having a mirror in front of me helped.

I don't know how successful a complete noob would be.

Re: what can kettlebells do that dumbbells can't? The shape of the KB allows for some different movements. For example, you can do snatches with DBs but they will have a slightly different feel since a DB doesn't flip over at the top.

Hebrew Hammer
07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Regarding the other discussion, I learned the snatch and few other KB lifts from watching one of Pavel's vids, but at that point I had a few years weight lifting experience already and I knew what stuff was supposed to feel like. Also, having a mirror in front of me helped.

I don't know how successful a complete noob would be.

Re: what can kettlebells do that dumbbells can't? The shape of the KB allows for some different movements. For example, you can do snatches with DBs but they will have a slightly different feel since a DB doesn't flip over at the top.

I've had years of weight training too, olympic style throughout my football years...I can't do that anymore, you can probably get a barbell set and do some great workouts with only about 50lbs on it...lots of reps using the whole body. I've done a few kick butt classes at the gym.

DB's can get you a solid workout out too, don't mind Frost, he's just bitter. I think it would be interesting to try it out, I'm all for mixing it up and it won't cost much. Probably $20 for a DVD and $40-50 for a set of KBs.

kuniggety
07-27-2012, 12:41 AM
My sifu has a series of videos up on youtube that are exercise related with quite a few of them being kettlebell since he's a kettlebell kind of guy.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL911CC68DFA2DC4AB&feature=plcp

Frost
07-27-2012, 01:10 AM
You're not the first person I've heard say that.

Details?

When Cotter Maxwell and Mahler left him it came out of the woodwork he actually wasn’t a master of sports in kettlebell’s and no one in Russia had heard of him in those circles, which is why they claimed they left him

Paul T England
07-27-2012, 01:14 AM
All points raised are fair and I learn loads from DVDs and books but unless you are one of those rare people that can master things correctly on their own you will find lots of benefit from detailed instruction.

You can learn basics from watching, reading and expeirnment but hands on corrections are the only way to master stuff for most people.

Kettlebells are a very dynamic way or moving your body under load but are nothing new as martial artisits know about vests, medicine balls, stone locks, weapons etc. They are probably more functional than other tools because of the range of drills.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

Frost
07-27-2012, 01:36 AM

they are not to be honest

apart from the over marketing of one when compared to the other and the fact you cant charge a fortune for dumbbell cert courses the other obvious difference is that and the fact dumbbells can be easily adjusted for weights and are a **** sight cheaper. There are very few exercises you cant replicate with a dumbbell or which were originally dumbbell lifts:
Dumbbell swings, snatches and cleans were a staple diet for lifters in the 30’s, 40,s and 50’s and are the most important lifts with a kettlebell you can do as a martial artist

sanjuro_ronin
07-27-2012, 05:20 AM
they are not to be honest

apart from the over marketing of one when compared to the other and the fact you cant charge a fortune for dumbbell cert courses the other obvious difference is that and the fact dumbbells can be easily adjusted for weights and are a **** sight cheaper. There are very few exercises you cant replicate with a dumbbell or which were originally dumbbell lifts:
Dumbbell swings, snatches and cleans were a staple diet for lifters in the 30’s, 40,s and 50’s and are the most important lifts with a kettlebell you can do as a martial artist

Correct, the only time keetlebells have an advantage is with keetlebell specific swings and lifts.

donjitsu2
07-27-2012, 06:20 AM

They aren't better.

There are some differences: kettlebells typically come with a much thicker handle than your standard dumbbell, during movements like the clean and snatch the "ball" of the kettlebell with "flip" over your hand and land on your forearm (you learn to catch it so it never really hurts you), etc...

But again these differences don't make kettlebells better.

IronFist
07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
I've had years of weight training too, olympic style throughout my football years...I can't do that anymore, you can probably get a barbell set and do some great workouts with only about 50lbs on it...lots of reps using the whole body. I've done a few kick butt classes at the gym.

DB's can get you a solid workout out too, don't mind Frost, he's just bitter. I think it would be interesting to try it out, I'm all for mixing it up and it won't cost much. Probably $20 for a DVD and $40-50 for a set of KBs.

KBs are more expensive than that, at least they were 5 or 6 years ago when I last priced them. It was like $80 for the 32 pound one, plus shipping I think.

IronFist
07-28-2012, 08:49 AM
When Cotter Maxwell and Mahler left him it came out of the woodwork he actually wasn’t a master of sports in kettlebell’s and no one in Russia had heard of him in those circles, which is why they claimed they left him

I seem to remember hearing some controversy about Steve Cotter, too, although I don't remember what it was.

I met a Russian guy in college 10 years ago who knew who Pavel was. Maybe he knew about him from American marketing, though. I dunno.

Zenshiite
07-28-2012, 10:51 AM
KBs are more expensive than that, at least they were 5 or 6 years ago when I last priced them. It was like $80 for the 32 pound one, plus shipping I think.

Christian's Fitness Factory (http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/index.php/vmchk/Kettle-bells/CFF-24-kg-/-53-lb-Kettlebell-1.5-pood) in Lancaster PA sells kettlebells for a $1.16 per pound. I'm fortunate enough to have gone to an I Liq Chuan class there last year, so I was able to go to CFF and buy a 16kg/35lb and a 24kg/53lb for under $100 bucks without having to spring for shipping.

Whatever controversy there is about Pavel, I think Enter The Kettlebell is a great introductory DVD for this stuff. I also have Mike Mahler's beginner workshop level 1 DVD, but I have yet to really watch it. Which I should.

Frost
07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I seem to remember hearing some controversy about Steve Cotter, too, although I don't remember what it was.

I met a Russian guy in college 10 years ago who knew who Pavel was. Maybe he knew about him from American marketing, though. I dunno.

Cotters was about his relationship with is sifu i believe,

mickey
Greetings,

I noticed that Pavel's accent was not consistent from the very beginning. I thought it was just his marketing gimmick. Nevertheless, he did have something to offer. Sometimes, you have to separate the messenger from the message.

mickey

Frost

me bitter, what about exactly?

Frost
07-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Greetings,

I noticed that Pavel's accent was not consistent from the very beginning. I thought it was just his marketing gimmick. Nevertheless, he did have something to offer. Sometimes, you have to separate the messenger from the message.

mickey

its his message i have issue with, he was a strength guy first, said weight were for strength NOT conditioning you should not mix the two...then all of the sudden weights were for conditioning but only his special kettlebell...

his accent and the whole comrade thing was a marketing gimmick, and at that he is a genius no doubt

mickey
07-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Frost,

I am thankful someone else saw the gimmick.

You have to understand that it took Pavel an awfully long time to be able to pronounce "conditioning" consistently with a "Russian" accent. It was much easier for him to say "strength" that way.

He is not the first to conduct himself like that. Take a look at Joe Weider. This guy was hard core against High Intensity Training. High volume was his thing. Now that Arthur Jones is gone, his magazine is chock full of athletes who trained the HIT way and Joe Weider now says that he has always been about High Intensity Training. In both cases, it keeps them relevant and keeps the money coming in. As consumers we have the right to dump these guys at any time. A long time ago, the late Jack Lalanne tried to cash in on the sudden vitamin craze with a supplement that contained vitamin "G"-- it doesn't exist.

mickey

Hebrew Hammer
07-28-2012, 01:43 PM
me bitter, what about exactly?

That's a good question...its mostly tongue in cheek but its either the popularity of Kettle Bells or their origins? Not sure why it really matters who or where they came from? Why is it an issue for you?

Hebrew Hammer
07-28-2012, 01:46 PM

You obviously don't have access to a Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbell-35lb-Cast-Iron-Kettlebell/14894508

Frost
07-30-2012, 04:31 AM
That's a good question...its mostly tongue in cheek but its either the popularity of Kettle Bells or their origins? Not sure why it really matters who or where they came from? Why is it an issue for you?

Ok fair question and it’s a bit of both
A well know S and C coach in the states who has worked a lot with the old soviet union coaches and scientists related a story of when one of those said coaches came to his facility and saw the kettlebells being sold over here, he ask why were the handles so small? Because in the programmes in the USSR (this guy had been a top 10 decathlon athlete over there as well as a full time coach) they were used for ankle mobility so the handles had to be bigger and leg drills (swings etc) they were also used for throwing drill. Said coach had also never heard of pavel neither had any of the others the guy had worked with over the years.
Yuri Verkhoshansky,father of modern plyometrics usd them for throws and squat jumps nothing more. So the soviets used them differently than they are being marketed over here and only sparingly,
So for me they are over priced, over hyped and over sold, just like functional training, bands and lord knows what else.
Everyone want s the new gimmick, the new cutting edge way to fitness, but the truth is what worked in the 40’s and 50’s works now, heavy basic compound lifts, and there’s nothing you can do with kettlebells that you cant be with cheaper dumbbells

IronFist
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
its his message i have issue with, he was a strength guy first, said weight were for strength NOT conditioning you should not mix the two..

I wonder if that was a contextual reference.

Anyway, regardless of Pavel's history, he has expanded my knowledge by more than probably anyone else regarding strength training and was always cool to answer my questions (back in the beginning before DragonDoor got popular and Pavel was posting on their forum).

I've heard most of his stuff is just rehashed Zatsiorsky or other soviet stuff. That's fine. It's so different from what is typically taught, and it's not like Pavel is claiming to have discovered any of it.

The only thing I don't like about that company is DragonDoor's marketing. They spam my inbox with so much junk mail trying to get me to sign up for seminars, buy new products, and once they even send out some obvious internet marketing "expand your business" or "get rich quick" type nonsense. It was really spammy and I remember checking their forums around that time and a bunch of people were complaining.

I remember in the beginning Pavel was also really anti-bodybuilding. I think that was just marketing schtick. It also somehow lead to this mistaken notion some people have that bodybuilders aren't strong, which is laughable.

Most bodybuilders aren't as strong relative to their size as powerlifters and other strength athletes. But they're very strong, and they're stronger than all the haters who go on about how "big muscle isn't functional, bodybuilding is dumb."

IronFist
07-30-2012, 07:26 PM
You obviously don't have access to a Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbell-35lb-Cast-Iron-Kettlebell/14894508

What the?! $48 and free shipping to the store for a 35lb KB?!

Are those good KB's? I remember seeing some commercially available ones that had weird handles or weren't that good in some other manner that I don't remember.

Too bad the 55 pound one (1.5 pood) is $97.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Troy-Barbell-55-lbs-Cast-Iron-Kettlebells/14100501

Still much cheaper than DragonDoor, though.

Here's another $35 one for $45 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/Pound-Kettlebell-Handle-Kettle-Solid/dp/B004GXVJIY/

Zenshiite
07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Seriously, Christian's Fitness Factory is steal. Quality product too. More of a glossy finish, but great stuff. Just did my kb work this afternoon.

IronFist
07-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Seriously, Christian's Fitness Factory is steal. Quality product too. More of a glossy finish, but great stuff. Just did my kb work this afternoon.

Hadn't heard of that company. Googled them.

Their KB handles look bigger than others, like the ball part is further away.

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/3dbe7b02c3b4fd90380bf1cab7c5a232.jpg

Not saying that's good or bad, just saying.

Then they have these other ones that look more normal:

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/4a2a9511db5728da958da8726e8219b1.jpg

Raipizo
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Maybe for huge gorilla hands

Zenshiite
08-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Hadn't heard of that company. Googled them.

Their KB handles look bigger than others, like the ball part is further away.

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/3dbe7b02c3b4fd90380bf1cab7c5a232.jpg

Not saying that's good or bad, just saying.

Then they have these other ones that look more normal:

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/4a2a9511db5728da958da8726e8219b1.jpg

They are a bit different, but I don't feel it makes a noticable difference.

Frost
12-21-2017, 11:25 AM
As Lee Morrisson would say : Kettlebells are a good piece of kip. I've seen his 2 volume video set "Kettlebell Training For Enhancing Combative Skills".
It's a very good video set. As a RBSD or Urban Combatives instructor he focuses on using explosive power in unexpected situations so the tape has a lot of good advice and methods and exercises that may not be found elsewhere.
After a while one can improvise applying kung fu foundation and do twisting, punching, swing arms etc. Also you can add weight such as clean kettlebells to the shoulders and do stance work both stationary and moving. And of course it improves the grip as well.
You need a good gym or home equipped with a lot of kettlebell sizes as you have to progress the weights in training and use different ones for different exercise. They can get quite expensive if you have to buy them yourself.
I really enjoy kettlebell workouts - as my favorite kinds of "kip" - it's lots of good dynamic exercise for strength , explosiveness and endurance.

Here's an interesting youtube channel "Kettlebell Combatives"

https://www.youtube.com/user/KettlebellPractice/videos

(I originally wrote this in response to the thread asking for advice on "explosive power"
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?19874-explosive-power )

Or just buy a set of dumbbells and save yourself a lot of money

Kevin73
12-22-2017, 06:32 AM
Or just buy a set of dumbbells and save yourself a lot of money

I agree. There is alot of talk about the "benefits" of using KB's and their unbalance etc. Cost vs. benefits, I say buy a good dumbbell set.

I hand made a two handed kettlebell using some iron pipes from the local hardware store. Cost was less than 10 dollars

http://www.endofthreefitness.com/how-to-build-a-kettlebell-in-36-seconds/