PDA

View Full Version : douglas wong

shaolin_allan
07-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi there is a master named Douglas Wong who teaches a system called white lotus kung fu. I am curious if anyone has trained with him and knows what his kung fu background is? I'm not asking if he is legit or not, just what styles he had trained in before starting his system, thanks.

Faruq
08-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi there is a master named Douglas Wong who teaches a system called white lotus kung fu. I am curious if anyone has trained with him and knows what his kung fu background is? I'm not asking if he is legit or not, just what styles he had trained in before starting his system, thanks.

I know he started out with an ancient master from mainland China called Wei Fong Doo, but I never trained with either.

hskwarrior
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Master Wong has been involved in the martial arts for over 40 years. He has studied under a number of great teachers, including:

Grandmaster Ark Yuey Wong: Five Animal Style (Ng Ying Ga) and Five Family Style (Ng Ga Kin)
Grandmaster Share K. Lew: Taoist Internal System (Tao On Pai) and Herbal medicine and meditation
Grandmaster Doo Wai: White Tiger System (Bai Fu Pai) and White Eyebrow System (Bai Fu Pai)
Master Hsu Hong Chi of the God-Dragon Hsing-I school recommended Master Wong as an overseas advisor for the Taiwan-based Tan Shou Tao Committee of the Taipei Athletic Association
Sifu Walter Wong: Wing Chun
Sifu Haumea "Tiny" Lefiti: Mok Ga (Splashing Hands)
Sifu Richard Wan: Soft Hand System (Yau Kung Mon)
Dr. Andrew Ming: Acupuncture, massage, and philosophy

Facility
Gallery
Kung Fu
Adult Kung Fu
Childrens Kung Fu
Tai Chi
News

bawang
08-01-2012, 03:57 PM
no such thing as white lotus kung fu.

hskwarrior
08-01-2012, 04:13 PM

why not? :confused::confused::confused:

bawang
08-01-2012, 04:15 PM
because white lotus society trains plum flower boxing.

plum flower = martial path
lotus flower = scholar path

thats like someone saying they teach confucius kung fu. its tiny cultural cues like this that make those frauds slip up.

TenTigers
08-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think Wong-Sifu is part of Bak Lein P'ai-the sect.
I think he simply named his art that.

bawang
08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I think he simply named his art that.

is this guy a banana? i dont think any chinese sifu in his right mind would use the name white lotus.

of course not. white lotus is a death cult.

taai gihk yahn
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
is this guy a banana?

more like a guava fruit...

(hmmm - two fruits, one vegetable and a flower - I think he's trying to tell me something!)
http://users.telenet.be/CHiPS/Zorro/GayBlade/Gayblade05.jpg

mooyingmantis
08-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Douglas Wong wrote at least two popular books in the 70's. I owed them as a teenager.

A couple of his students became actors and appeared in a few movies in martial arts roles.

He and his students appeared in several articles in the 70s and 80s in Inside Kung Fu magazine. I believe he may have had some connection with the magazine during its infancy.

I believe his wife, Carrie Ogawa Wong, was quite famous on the tournament circuit in the 70s and 80s

Hebrew Hammer
08-02-2012, 12:56 AM

I belong to the brown starfish society.

shaolin_allan
08-02-2012, 05:08 AM
the threat started good then like most others becomes a wasted space...
mooying, faruq, tentigers, and hskwarrior for the good info. i appreciate it.

Faruq
08-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Out of the plethora of teacher he studied with, how many of their systems does he teach today? And why did he leave each teacher rather than becoming a disciple of any just one? Did he later ever refer to his time with any of those teachers as having been a waste?

Faruq
08-06-2012, 08:36 AM
There's a nice interview clip of Uncle Dougie at one of his students in Arizona's school where he tells how when he began in gong fu, all schools were set up through associations for people based on which village in Canton they immigrated from. So if you weren't from the village whose school was teaching the style you wanted to learn, you couldn't learn that style.

shaolin_allan
08-07-2012, 07:50 PM
could you link me to the clip Faruq im having trouble finding it on youtube thanks.

Faruq
08-08-2012, 08:26 AM
could you link me to the clip Faruq im having trouble finding it on youtube thanks.

Oh, maybe they took it down. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

Faruq
08-08-2012, 08:27 AM
is this guy a banana? i dont think any chinese sifu in his right mind would use the name white lotus.

of course not. white lotus is a death cult.

Maybe his kung fu is so leathal it's literally a "death system".

GeneChing
08-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Curtis F. Wong is the CFW enterprises, publisher of our former competitor Inside Kung-Fu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47753). I'll add that I've met both Douglas and his wife Carrie, and they were both very open and friendly to me. There has never been any animosity between us whatsoever.

Faruq
08-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Did he ever say why his brother went from teacher to teacher rather than say Bai Cee'ing with a single Sifu, Gene? And do you know if he mastered the complete system of any of his teachers?

shaolin_allan
08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
thats a very good question and what I am curious about also. Which complete systems did Master Doug Wong learn?

GeneChing
08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't know him that well. However, I know plenty of talented martial artists who never took disciple vows and never completed a system.

CLFNole
08-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Actually a lot of sifus prefer not to Bai See at all.

Faruq
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't know him that well. However, I know plenty of talented martial artists who never took disciple vows and never completed a system.

On the one hand, I'd like to acknowledge what you say is definitely true, and I have never heard a negative word about Douglas Wong or his skills. Its still an enigma why a guy who was able to study with so many reknowned masters kept moving, and would never want to master a complete system before doing so. Maybe he did though, but I don't know so I was just asking.

Jimbo
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Maybe he just did not feel that any one of those systems alone was 'the one' for him? Who knows. Everyone is different, and there are a lot of reasons people do things that they do. Bai Si may have some advantages, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee somebody will be a better MAist.

Faruq
08-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Please forget that I said Bai Cee. I just meant stay with one master-master a whole system. And I acknowledge that he may have mastered some of the systems. And though they seem to have removed his Arizona interview from youtube, comments under his White Lotus system do indicate that his system only has killing techniques which might explain him having named it "White Lotus".

Shaolin
08-10-2012, 03:42 PM
comments under his White Lotus system do indicate that his system only has killing techniques

What does this even mean? Is this speculation or proven fact? How many people were killed or maimed in the development of his system?

I'm not kidding or being a wise guy. It's statements like this on why people think Chinese martial arts are a joke.

Siu Lum Fighter
08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Although I was sorry to see it go, Inside Kung Fu was an inferior magazine compared to KF Magazine.

Jimbo
08-11-2012, 09:53 AM
What does this even mean? Is this speculation or proven fact? How many people were killed or maimed in the development of his system?

I'm not kidding or being a wise guy. It's statements like this on why people think Chinese martial arts are a joke.

I have to agree.

Even though I have (very briefly) met both Douglas Wong and his wife Carrie at a couple of CMA functions in the past (they know my CLF Sifu), and they seemed to be pretty cool people, saying one's system only includes killing techniques, IF he actually said that, would be very odd, IMO. There is no way to verify which techniques are 'lethal', since a simple push or punch from an untrained man can kill if they hit just right or the person falls a certain way. OTOH, someone could attempt a super-secret 'killing move' and experience an epic failure.

Drake
08-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I could kill a man with a crowbar. Does that make me a master?

mickey
08-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Greetings,

I visited his site more than once before. Where are those comments about "only teaching killing techniques"? This school teaches children. The Chinese community would not have any of that.

http://www.whitelotuskungfu.com/

mickey

Faruq
08-13-2012, 12:46 PM

We've all pretty much watched videos on youtube and seen the comments left by the people who watched the video. Unfortunately no way to know who they are or check the veracity of what they post. It could've been a 12 yr old kid for all I know, but it was a comment under his video on youtube. I think you guys are taking it a little too seriously, lol.