PDA

View Full Version : need advice about squats

bawang
08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
hi, i recently plateaued on my squats, ive been lifting for 1 year.

i been doing 5 reps and my butt muscles are small. im thinking i need to decrease weight and increase reps. is that right? does anyone have any experience about this, thx.

(i weigh 130 and squat 200)

Frost
08-06-2012, 08:41 AM
experince with small buttocks... nope sorry cant help there!

for a small donation i can help you out :)

Frost
08-06-2012, 08:44 AM
ok seriously how many times a week are you squatting, how many sets and reps

Scott R. Brown
08-06-2012, 08:44 AM
hi, i recently plateaued on my squats, ive been lifting for 1 year.

i been doing 5 reps. im thinking i need to decrease weight and increase reps. is that right? does anyone have any experience about this, thx.

Ask your mom!

Actually you can do any number of things:

1) Increase weight and drop reps to 1-3,
2) Lower weight and increase reps to 8-12,
3) Keep the same weight and increase days per week lifted,
4) Keep the same weight and increase the reps up to 10 reps per set, then increase the weight and drop the reps back down to 5,
5) Change to front squats for a while,
6) Change to cleans for a while,
7) Change to wide grip deadlifts from a deficit for a while.

Pick something and do a 4-8 week cycle then cycle back to squats again. The after 4-8 weeks pick another variation for 4-8 weeks, and so on....

Then ask your mom......

bawang
08-06-2012, 08:46 AM
ok seriously how many times a week are you squatting, how many sets and reps

i squat 2 times a week . i have to walk around 8 hours a day at work so cant do 3 times. i do 5 reps 2 times , explosively and ass to grass.

Frost
08-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Firstly don’t say ass to grass, only weak people use that term as a cover for not being able to lift heavy!
Ok firstly drop the reps to 3 so you can go slightly heavier and shock your system.
After the two heavy sets drop the weight to 60% of your 1 rep Max and do sets of3 very explosively, fast fast fast. Do 5 sets of these explosive squats with 1 minute rest. Follow this with 2 sets of 5 reps with 55% of your 1 rep max, these last 2 sets are dead stop so squat to the bottom stop count to 1 then stand up, this eliminates the stretch reflex and allows you to work on your strength out of the hole.

Do the above for 8 weeks, try to increase the weight on the two heavy sets each week by 10 pounds, with the explosive stuff add more sets each week until you get to 10 total sets then increase the weight by 5% and start again with 5 sets
With the pause/dead stop squats add a little weight each week, only 5 pounds at most

Scott R. Brown
08-06-2012, 08:55 AM
i squat 2 times a week . i have to walk around 8 hours a day at work so cant do 3 times. i do 5 reps 2 times , explosively and ass to grass.

Yes! Increase reps and sets, for example either 5 sets of ten or 10 sets of 10!

You can actually do your 2 sets of 5 and then add 5 sets of ten.

I did that in high school. The only problem was I couldn't get pants that fit my waist AND my thighs!

When I learned to tumble a couple of years later, I had to learn the standing back flip before I learned the backhand spring because my legs were so strong I kept jumping too high. Most tumblers start with the backhand spring and then the back flip.

Are you doing full squats?

bawang
08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Firstly don’t say ass to grass, only weak people use that term as a cover for not being able to lift heavy!
Ok firstly drop the reps to 3 so you can go slightly heavier and shock your system.

bro, when i do 3 reps and walk around for 8 hours at work i literally become crippled.

Yes! Increase reps and sets, for example either 5 sets of ten or 10 sets of 10!

i think thats what i should do. i barely gained muscle mass, i neglected squats in high school, and now my ass is smaller than my pecs.

sorry for the confusion, im asking because my ass muscle hasnt grown for months despite increasing my lifts. its the same size as when i started. im thinking if i increase reps it will increase muscle size then i can lift more. i just wanna ask if this is correct thinking, because i dont know anything about sports science.

Scott R. Brown
08-06-2012, 09:18 AM
i think thats what i should do. i barely gained muscle mass, i neglected squats in high school, and now my ass is smaller than my pecs. i think if i increase reps to gain mass i should be able to lift more.

Size is not necessarily related to maximum strength. Overall volume will increase your size, whether it is 10 sets of 3 or 5-10 sets of ten.

Be careful to work up to the increased volume over a couple of weeks though or you will end up over training and you will be even more tired walking around for 8 hours a day!

sanjuro_ronin
08-07-2012, 06:14 AM
There is a rep range for a specific goal you are trying for.
When you are using close to maximum weight (90%+) and working the 1-3 range, you are building strength and regardless of how many sets, your muscle mass increase will be minimal.
Legs tend to have more slo-twitch muscles fibres because that are more "endurance oriented' than arms of chest, etc.
Because of that, they TEND to need a higher rep scheme to cause muscle growth for mass (hypertrophy).
Typically recommended are the 10+ range ( 10-12 being more popular) BUt you do tend to sacrifice some strength in that.
So many who want the "best of both" work in the 8-10 rep range ( or the 6-8 if they prefer to focus on strength but also want some mass).
All these is relative in the sense that you can only get bigger by getting bigger ( eating more to put on mass).
Genetics will dictate how much you can put on and what shape your legs will be and, through trial and error, which rep range is best for you.

I think that an ideal method is to focus on strength and get to a good number and then focus on mass.
SO you would, for example, do the 3-5 range till you get to 2X your BW for 3 reps and then take a week off and focus on mass building in which you would work the 8-10 rep range.
As for set, I have to be honest here:
I have worked on different protocol and found that ALL of them work to an extent.
BUT, if you do more sets you will get better at doing squats ( indispensable for power lifting and olympic lifts).
I have worked the various HIT protocol out there and say this:
Unless you really CAN go to failure, you should stick to something else.
If you can go, there are very few protocols that works as well (IMO).

bawang
08-07-2012, 07:00 AM
thanks for the advice man, i really appreciate it.

wenshu
08-07-2012, 07:13 AM
If you just want to look like Kim Kardashian then eat more dairy. Having a big ass isn't going to help your squat.

You could try dropping everything else and focusing only on the lift you want to improve for 4 - 6 weeks. A little conditioning once a week is ok but really zero in on just the squat, no more bicep curls and horse stance. High reps, low reps, whatever, mix it up, everybody responds differently, as long as you're focused you'll improve. The important point is to set aside all your recovery ability just for this. Even if you only improve by a tiny amount you'll be closer to figuring out what you respond to.

Plateauing after a year at 200 sounds more psychological than anything. Are you stuck in a routine? Do you always warm up with the same weight, incrementing by the same amount until your work set? Switch it up, skip your set at 200 and just try 225 or 210 and don't pysch yourself out, if you drop the weight so what? Don't be a *****. You might surprise yourself. You might hurt yourself too, but at this point if you're stuck at 200 and fishing for tips on the forums. . .

bawang
08-07-2012, 07:23 AM
im not embarrased to lift baby weights. i come from background where everybody from my parents to my gym teacher to my sifus discouraged me from lifting weights. it took nerves of steel just to get in the gym after so many years. im very happy to lift 200, thats a good achievement for me. i want to progress more and i cant get good advice in my gym. i trust people on this internet forum so im asking. what swrong with that?

WangBazi
08-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Get a good leg massage and then have the massage girls perform King Kong Shoots the Airplane. This will sooth your liver qi.

Shake your legs or do qi gong.

Many people do qi gong with only hands, but you can also use the legs. Let them heal. If you reach a plateau that is what post heaven qi gong is for, to lift you over the plateau by opening the yang ming vessel.

I also suggest you drink alcohol like red wine or bai jiu and eat lots of meat to increase your testosterone.

Change it up. Do slow squats without weight going all the way to the ground and back up to single leg stance slowly. This will force your mighty aggressive.

wenshu
08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
i trust people on this internet forum so im asking. what swrong with that?

Nothing at all. My point was more that if you are frustrated enough to seek advice after such a long time don't be afraid to risk weight (within reason) that you believe you can't lift. Even if it might cripple you.

Hebrew Hammer
08-07-2012, 09:02 AM
I would recommend using a well endowed spotter in a loin cloth, you can also work your iron sphincter technique.

Seriously what Frost and Scott suggest are pretty sound, I'd even work one heavy, one light high rep day each week. I highly recommend doing deep knee lunges in addition to your squats...about 3 sets 8-12 reps each leg to start. Builds all the supporting muscles for squats and will help with that dreaded Asian disease noassatall.

Lastly I'd ask someone to check your technique...lots a simple little corrections you can make to improve your lift.

donjitsu2
08-08-2012, 06:47 AM
You could decrease the weight & increase the reps. I've noticed I tend to gain more muscle with higher reps.

You could also try doing some hill sprints 2-3 days a week. It wasn't until I started doing hill sprints that my ass started getting bigger.

Though, if you're going to be walking around for 8 hours after your workout...hill sprints might not be a good idea. :confused:

Hebrew Hammer
08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
You could also try doing some hill sprints 2-3 days a week. It wasn't until I started doing hill sprints that my ass started getting bigger.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

YouKnowWho
08-08-2012, 12:46 PM
im thinking i need to decrease weight and increase reps. is that right?
"人欺物(Ren Qi Wu) - you defeat weight" and never allow "物欺人(Wu Qi Ren) - weight defeats you".

"No pain no gain" and "Enjoy of doing it" are different approaches.

Try to find your "comfortable" weight is important. This way you will enjoy doing it for the rest of your life. You then increase your weight little by little. Water has to fill the hole before it can flow out.

It's not how heavy that you can lift today. It's whether you will still continue doing this when you are 80 years old that's more important. You have to fall in love with your weight. This way, you will marry to your weight and never get divoce.

Lucas
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
i'm pretty sure he will only marry his weight if it has the yellow hairs.

JamesC
08-09-2012, 04:19 AM
I'll play the Devil's Advocate here...

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? What type of progression are you using to add weight to the bar?

If this is your first stall, then you should be able to deload by 10% and build back up. Although, you may want to do 5x5

bawang
08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
im 5 foot 9 130 pounds. i dont know what progression kind i use, i just add 5 pounds a week for 6 or 7 months and took 1 month break in the middle. ive deloaded once at 175 pounds.

i can do higher than 200 with front and zercher squats, but i have giant frog thighs.

in high school i did a sh1tload of leg extensions and no squats. ive never done a single squat in my life until last year. in 07 after high school i fell into extreme poverty and went down to 100 pounds. after that i always had trouble getting bigger muscles except my giant frog thighs and chest.

JamesC
08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
im 5 foot 9 130 pounds. i dont know what progression kind i use, i just add 5 pounds a week for 6 or 7 months and took 1 month break in the middle. ive deloaded once at 175 pounds.

i can do higher than 200 with front and zercher squats, but i have giant frog thighs.

in high school i did a sh1tload of leg extensions and no squats. ive never done a single squat in my life until last year. in 07 after high school i fell into extreme poverty and went down to 100 pounds. after that i always had trouble getting bigger muscles except my giant frog thighs and chest.

Sorry Bawang, but you don't have giant frog thighs if you only weigh 130 pounds. I'm 5'10 and I weigh 220. At 5'9 you should weigh at LEAST 200 pounds. 130 at 5'9 is tiny.

If you start eating to gain weight you will no longer be stalled.

JamesC
08-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Also, you should consider getting on a proven program that will take care of all the thinking for you.

I recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. He's THE guy to go to for basic barbell strength training. Both of his books will be useful for years and years to come if you continue.

bawang
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Sorry Bawang, but you don't have giant frog thighs if you only weigh 130 pounds. I'm 5'10 and I weigh 220. At 5'9 you should weigh at LEAST 200 pounds. 130 at 5'9 is tiny.

If you start eating to gain weight you will no longer be stalled.

dam man you must be built like a tank. do you have any eating advice for me?

JamesC
08-09-2012, 12:43 PM
dam man you must be built like a tank. do you have any eating advice for me?

What it comes down to is whether you care about abs and how you look in skinny jeans.

Do you want to be BIG AND TRONG, or do you want to be able to see your abzorz?

If you just wanna get big and strong, simply start drinking a half of gallon of whole milk a day on top of what you already eat. If you find that you aren't putting on any weight, add more until you're drinking up to one full gallon of whole milk a day.

It works. I went from 185 to 232 in 3 months. Granted, a lot of it was fat, but it isn't nearly as hard to cut weight as people say it is.

bawang
08-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Do you want to be BIG AND TRONG, or do you want to be able to see your abzorz?

TRONG

the only reason im lifting is for martial arts.

If you just wanna get big and strong, simply start drinking a half of gallon of whole milk a day on top of what you already eat. If you find that you aren't putting on any weight, add more until you're drinking up to one full gallon of whole milk a day.

It works. I went from 185 to 232 in 3 months. Granted, a lot of it was fat, but it isn't nearly as hard to cut weight as people say it is .

milk gives me diarrhea. will cheese work?

Lucas
08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
why should he be at least 200 lbs?

Lucas
08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
TRONG

do you like cottage cheese?

JamesC
TRONG

What about peanut butter? The idea that someone is a "hard gainer" is a myth. There are no hard gainers, just undisciplined eaters. If you eat more calories than you are burning, you WILL gain weight.

Any high calorie food will do. I'd recommend peanut butter over cheese because i'd be too afraid of being constipated, lol.

Frost can probably chime in on this too. He's a powerlifter and a BJJ guy. He'll have more experience with the martial art aspect and lifting.

Most of my training revolves around athletics these days.

bawang
do you like cottage cheese?

is that a trick question

JamesC
08-09-2012, 12:51 PM
why should he be at least 200 lbs?

Because full-grown adult males shouldn't be under 200:p

bawang
08-09-2012, 12:52 PM
What about peanut butter? The idea that someone is a "hard gainer" is a myth. There are no hard gainers, just undisciplined eaters. If you eat more calories than you are burning, you WILL gain weight.

aight man i got it. im on the govmint cheese so i got money to blow on food.

is 200 pound squat at 130 pounds good progress though? i tried really hard, man, i tried.

Lucas
08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
is that a trick question

lol no cottage cheese doesnt have a ton of callories but 1 cup of cottage cheese contains about 28 g of protein, which is approximately equivalent to a 3.5 oz. chicken breast. and we know how much u like the chicken

Lucas
08-09-2012, 12:54 PM

lol touche

bawang
08-09-2012, 12:55 PM
lol no cottage cheese doesnt have a ton of callories but 1 cup of cottage cheese contains about 28 g of protein, which is approximately equivalent to a 3.5 oz. chicken breast. and we know how much u like the chicken

yeah but i think jamessc point is i need to eat more starch and fat. cuz protein doesnt make u fat.

JamesC
08-09-2012, 12:56 PM

This is fine, but this is more of a bodybuilding style diet.

I love chicken, and I love cottage cheese, but if i'm trying to raise my weight i'm going to eat a lot more red meat and high calorie foods to do it.

Also, Bawang, a 2xbodyweight squat isn't too bad. But, ask yourself how many truly STRONG guys you've seen that weigh anything under 200 pounds.

JamesC
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Of course i'm talking about from a weightlifting perspective.

Martial artists tend to try and stay lean for weight classes and mobility reasons. Hopefully Frost can chime in on this one.

bawang
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Also, Bawang, a 2xbodyweight squat isn't too bad. But, ask yourself how many truly STRONG guys you've seen that weigh anything under 200 pounds.

*bows head in shame

Of course i'm talking about from a weightlifting perspective.

Martial artists tend to try and stay lean for weight classes and mobility reasons. Hopefully Frost can chime in on this one.

well, my goal was 180 pounds because i wanted to be able to lift up an average man. now that ive done a tiny bit beginner lifting, i hear cung le in an interview say he does 300 pounds, so now i wanna lift higher.

Lucas
08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
definately but you can eat 1 or 2 cups of cottage cheese within two hours of weight training. 1 cup of cottage cheese will also give you a high amount of calcium, potassium and Vitamin A, which are also essential building blocks to a healthier, more muscular body. you can actually just combine it all together and eat it after you work out. fruit and cottage cheese together kicks ass

IM JUST SAYIN

Lucas
08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
This is fine, but this is more of a bodybuilding style diet.

I love chicken, and I love cottage cheese, but if i'm trying to raise my weight i'm going to eat a lot more red meat and high calorie foods to do it.

what do you eat post work out usually?

JamesC
08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
what do you eat post work out usually?

It depends. If i'm going to work afterwards i'll have a bottle of chocolate milk, a protein shake, and oatmeal.

If I get to go home after, i'll have 6 pieces of bacon, 6 fried eggs, a glass of whole milk, and 2 pieces of toast.

bawang
08-09-2012, 01:03 PM
godam, thats my entire days food.

JamesC
08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
*bows head in shame

well, my goal was 180 pounds because i wanted to be able to lift up an average man. now that ive done a tiny bit beginner lifting, i hear cung le in an interview say he does 300 pounds, so now i wanna lift higher.

He weighs 185 at 5'10. That's 55lbs more than you. It may not seem like it, but that 55lbs makes a HUGE difference when trying to get stronger.

bawang
08-09-2012, 01:06 PM
how much can u squat man?

JamesC
08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
how much can u squat man?

I don't like to say how much I can squat over the interwebs because I know that I don't typically believe most people when they post their numbers.

Over 400, though.

bawang
08-09-2012, 01:09 PM
holy sh1t man. you are super human.

i feel smug in my college gym doing 200 full squats cuz most kids be doing smith machines and quarter squats. now i feel like tiny ant.

JamesC
08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
holy sh1t man. you are super human.

i feel smug in my college gym doing 200 full squats cuz most kids be doing smith machines and quarter squats. now i feel like tiny ant.

Don't be too impressed. My squat is stronger than everything else, even my deadlifts.

IronFist
08-09-2012, 02:15 PM

lol first time I've ever heard that.

IronFist
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Bawang, if you want your butt to be bigger, why not work on deadlifts for a while?

Deadlifts work my glutes way more than squats do, although this may differ for each person based on their individual proportions/genetics.

Squatting 200 @ 130 is great. Who cares if it's "only" 200. A better way to look at it is it is 1.53x your body weight. And if you're squatting full range with proper form, you're doing better than the guys who do 2x bw 1/4 squats.

A body weight squat is considered a good beginner milestone.

A 2x body weight squat is considered well into intermediate territory.

I only skimmed this thread so I'm not sure what has been said so far, but there are certain ways you can train that will increase your raw strength without gaining much size (if that's what you want). Or you can do a more bodybuilder style routine and eating program.

So Cung Le squats 300. Doesn't he weigh like 158? Don't compare yourself to him.

Not everyone is built to be a squatter, either. After like 6 years of seriously lifting weights the most I was ever able to squat was 315 x 1 at a bw of 165 or 170 or something (I have a vid of it somewhere if you want to see). But in my case, my legs don't like being strong so if I wasn't perfect with my training and stuff, my squat would go down much faster than my other lifts. On the flip side, I can pretty much always knock out 10 full range pullups even if I haven't trained in a while. But there are people who are the opposite, too, who can like warm up with 225 for 10 on squat even after a break but who would have to bust ass to do 3 pullups.

Are you good at pullups? Naturally light people usually are cuz we have less weight to move, and all else being equal, lighter people are usually stronger relative to their body weight.

bawang
08-09-2012, 02:59 PM
hey man thanks for your input. i got a bad back so i cant deadlift that much. you are right about the pullups though, im a pullup machine lol.

I only skimmed this thread so I'm not sure what has been said so far, but there are certain ways you can train that will increase your raw strength without gaining much size (if that's what you want). Or you can do a more bodybuilder style routine and eating program.

its not that my glutes has less growth, its that it had almost zero growth. its the same size as when i was starving 100 pounds. my glutes is the only muscle that havent gotten bigger. but squat is my main focus. its just not responding to 5 reps.

but ill also take jamescs advice and eat like im a third world dictator.

Raipizo
08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
hey man thanks for your input. i got a bad back so i cant deadlift that much. you are right about the pullups though, im a pullup machine lol.

its not that my glutes has less growth, its that it had almost zero growth. its the same size as when i was starving 100 pounds. my glutes is the only muscle that havent gotten bigger. but squat is my main focus. its just not responding to 5 reps.

but ill also take jamescs advice and eat like im a third world dictator.

Could always find exercises that are specifically glute

bawang
08-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Could always find exercises that are specifically glute

i use those lady glute machines to correct my form but it didnt make my glute bigger.

ill hit the gym this sunday and increase the reps and report back to u guys. and also buy jars of mayonaise

Lucas
08-09-2012, 03:44 PM
i use those lady glute machines to correct my form but it didnt make my glute bigger.

ill hit the gym this sunday and increase the reps and report back to u guys. and also buy jars of mayonaise

we all know you already have plenty of mayo

Raipizo
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Didn't mean a machine. Maybe try some leg dumbbell curls.

IronFist
08-09-2012, 05:30 PM

What's wrong with your back?

Can you do sumo style deadlift? I find that to involve my back a bit less than conventional deadlift.

http://i.imgur.com/hgnIa.jpg

bawang
08-09-2012, 06:01 PM
when i was 13 my wushu coach made me do exaggerated punches and i twisted something in my back.i cant bend my back down too much because of that.

i never heard of sumo deadlifts before, that looks really easy on the back. thanks man im gonna try that.

can i do deadlifts and squats on the same day? or alternate them?

IronFist
08-09-2012, 06:44 PM
when i was 13 my wushu coach made me do exaggerated punches and i twisted something in my back.i cant bend my back down too much because of that.

i never heard of sumo deadlifts before, that looks really easy on the back. thanks man im gonna try that.

can i do deadlifts and squats on the same day? or alternate them?

You can do them on the same day but if you go heavy on one it's probably best not go to heavy on the other.

It would be like doing heavy bench press and heavy flat DB press on the same day. You could, but why?

Now sometimes I will squat (LIGHT) just to warm up before deadlifts, since squatting works my quads a lot more than deadlift.

But I won't like do a hardcore squat workout and then go do deadlifts after, or vice versa.

Start light.

I just took 9 months off from the gym (injury) and when I got back I started with 2 sets of 8 with 135 pounds in sumo deadlift and my quads and glutes were sore the next few days. lol. Lower back, too, kinda. Deadlift works the lower back differently than squats, so don't over do it.

Remember to keep your abs tight when deadlifting. It will help protect your back (if that doesn't make sense or sounds counter-intuitive let me know and I can explain).

Raipizo
08-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Bawang maybe you should see a doctor

May be try these, less back strain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7Hv4L1F60

bawang
08-09-2012, 06:55 PM
what did u do to have to take a 9 month hiatus man? dam.

IronFist
08-09-2012, 08:01 PM
what did u do to have to take a 9 month hiatus man? dam.

I gave myself rotator cuff and biceps tendonitis training to do human flags:

(not me in the pic)

http://www.workout-without-weights.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Human-Flag.jpg

Took forever to heal. I took every supplement that supposedly benefited tendonitis, did ice massage multiple times a day, weighted eccentric rehab exercises, etc. The healing process isn't linear. There will be no change (in pain level) for weeks at a time and then one day you wake up and it's a little better, and then it will stay at that level for weeks and then one day you wake up and it's a little better, etc.

I couldn't do squats during that time, either, because I couldn't hold the bar in place without getting into a painful shoulder position.

My goal was to do a human flag on each side but I'm afraid to ever try it again.

The bizarre thing is I wasn't even doing it often. I would attempt it one time on each side once or twice each week. You hear tendonitis and think "overuse injury." Not always.

I grabbed the bar one day with my left hand on the bottom, went to position myself in place, and felt a pain in my shoulder.

Both the PT and the joint specialist pressed into my shoulder and said they could feel the inflammation in my biceps tendon, and the shoulder pain I was having sounded like microtears in the rotator cuff.

I'm starting back very slow at the gym. To put things in perspective, before the injury I was doing flat DB press with 100s for reps. Now I am doing 15s and 20s, for 10 reps, slowly through the entire ROM just to make sure there is absolutely no pain or discomfort whatsoever.

After each workout is a shoulder ice massage.

An ice massage is when you freeze water in a styrofoam cup and then peel the top of the cup off, holding it by the bottom, and massage the area with the ice. It works 100x better than an ice pack, which does next to nothing in my opinion.

I'm going to slowly increase the weight by 5 pounds every week or every workout until I get back up to 50 pound dumbbells (my old warmup weight). Then I will consider myself at a relatively good starting place.

wenshu
08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/B4vJc.gif

wenshu
08-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Unless the only activity you plan to do at all is powerlifting, packing on 40 pounds of fat just to be able to squat is ****ing retarded.

http://www.ludawgs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1049&d=1327728078

bawang
08-10-2012, 04:27 AM
Unless the only activity you plan to do at all is powerlifting, packing on 40 pounds of fat just to be able to squat is ****ing retarded.

whay mang

i tink u jelly bro

JamesC
08-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Once again, Wenshu comes in to save the day.:rolleyes:

No one told the guy to gain 40lbs of fat for ****'s sake. But, you don't get stronger unless you eat to get stronger. And 130lbs is tiny. He COULD stay where he is and try the whole bodybuilding diet where he gains 1lb a month and only raises his squat by 5lbs, OR he could gain some fat and get a hell of a lot stronger, and then add in conditioning if he feels like he wants to lose some bodyweight.

It isn't that complicated. I don't know what it is about guys wanting to have the abzorz at all times these days.

Brule
08-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm going to have to side with Huckleberry on this one. If you're goal is to get big, you have to eat big. Makes sense to me, take in more calories than you use = weight gain.

IronFist
08-10-2012, 07:52 AM
If he's 130 and 5'9", he's probably not going to get fat no matter what he eats.

Note: this is assuming he eats a normal diet now and weighs 130 as a result.

Brule
08-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Is KFC and mayo considered normal?

YouKnowWho
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Why do you want to spend so much time in your squats lifting? Why don't you integrate your combat skill training and weight training as one? If you have a throwing dummp (or heavy bag), you can train firemen's carry, single leg over head, double legs over head, ... This way, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/764/scarry.jpg

After all. to develop combat skill is your goal. To be strong is just to help you to reach to your goal. Your goal is still combat and not weight lifting.

bawang
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
because john wang, im poor and i live in an indian guys basement. i cant afford and dont have the space for a throwing dummy.

YouKnowWho
08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
because john wang, im poor and i live in an indian guys basement. i cant afford and dont have the space for a throwing dummy.

A canvas bag filled with sand (or dirt) should not cost too much. I just hate to see you spend a lot of your valuable training time and not be able to develop any useful "combat skill" out of it.

After all, your weight is still on your back. You still have to go through your squarts. The weight trainingt part stay unchange. You may just want to add your fotwork and treat your weight as your training partner.

bawang
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
lifting heavy weights is part of traditional kung fu, bro.

didnt you ever read the water margin? li kui can squat 300 to 500 pounds.

Brule
08-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Why don't you throw the indian guy around? Just saying'

sanjuro_ronin
08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Some people will pay good money to be thrown around by a skinny asian in leather chaps, just saying...

bawang
08-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Some people will pay good money to be thrown around by a skinny asian in leather chaps, just saying...

im not from vancouver.

bawang
08-10-2012, 03:40 PM
also ironfist i wish you a speedy recovery man. it looks like we both had freak injuries lol.

wenshu
08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
whay mang

i tink u jelly bro

Why are you wasting all this time here? 225 ain't gonna squat itself. You don't need advice you need a portly Japanese woman to slap you in the face before you lift and then beat you mercilessly with a rattan stick when you fail.

Once again, Wenshu comes in to save the day.:rolleyes:

No one told the guy to gain 40lbs of fat for ****'s sake. But, you don't get stronger unless you eat to get stronger. And 130lbs is tiny. He COULD stay where he is and try the whole bodybuilding diet where he gains 1lb a month and only raises his squat by 5lbs, OR he could gain some fat and get a hell of a lot stronger, and then add in conditioning if he feels like he wants to lose some bodyweight.

It isn't that complicated. I don't know what it is about guys wanting to have the abzorz at all times these days.

I ain't saving nothing, I'm talking trash. Rippetoe's cult is nearly as bad as crossfit.

This conversation sums it up better then I ever could.

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&start=30950#p677130

STFU AND READ THE BOOK MOTHER****ER.

bawang
08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
how much u squat

wenshu
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I haven't since I started my new gig in June but before I stopped I got to singles at 295. I was ~180 at the time, ~195 now.

At 6'2" my squat has always been weak as **** while I could always just pull > 300 out of the gate.

MMA gym I train at has Olympic lifting 2x a week. I'm itching to start that up but for now boxing, wrestling and gong fu is more fun and my schedule is not very forgiving of my hobbies.

YouKnowWho
08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
lifting heavy weights is part of traditional kung fu, bro.

didnt you ever read the water margin? li kui can squat 300 to 500 pounds.
Li Kui was not number 1 fighter among those 108 guys. He was not very smart either.

One of my SC brothers who could lift a lot of weight. His arm muscle were so big that his hands couldn't even touch his own legs. When he walked, since his arms were curve around, his posture just like a chimpanzee. We all called him "black chimpanzee". When he wrestled, he had no skill. even a 150 lb skinny guy could throw him (he weight over 200 lb).

IronFist
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
One of my SC brothers who could lift a lot of weight. His arm muscle were so big that his hands couldn't even touch his own legs.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/bsflag.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

What is it with this nonsense? Unless your friend was very overweight, that wasn't the case.

"oh man my friend did some bench press one day and got so huge he couldn't even button his own shirt! Weightlifting is bad for you!!!! Big muscles make you slow and dumb!!!"

When he walked, since his arms were curve around, his posture just like a chimpanzee. We all called him "black chimpanzee". When he wrestled, he had no skill. even a 150 lb skinny guy could throw him (he weight over 200 lb).

Holy cow, one big muscular guy didn't know how to fight THEREFORE WEIGHTLIFTING IS POINTLESS http://smiliesftw.com/x/laugh.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

IronFist
08-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Why are you wasting all this time here? 225 ain't gonna squat itself. You don't need advice you need a portly Japanese woman to slap you in the face before you lift and then beat you mercilessly with a rattan stick when you fail.

I ain't saving nothing, I'm talking trash. Rippetoe's cult is nearly as bad as crossfit.

This conversation sums it up better then I ever could.

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&start=30950#p677130

STFU AND READ THE BOOK MOTHER****ER.

Cliffs Notes on Rippetoe's cult?

mooyingmantis
08-10-2012, 09:13 PM

It works. I went from 185 to 232 in 3 months. Granted, a lot of it was fat, but it isn't nearly as hard to cut weight as people say it is.

If I get to go home after, i'll have 6 pieces of bacon, 6 fried eggs, a glass of whole milk, and 2 pieces of toast.

DING, DING, DING!!!!

You win the award for the worst possible nutritional advice on the internet!!!

JOHNNY, TELL BAWANG WHAT HE WILL WIN TAKING JAMESC's ADVICE!

A heaping helping of heart disease or stroke from a combination of fat and cholesterol.

6 fried eggs
One egg yolk has about 186mg of cholesterol. A healthy person should limit their dietary cholesterol to less than 300mg per day. Six fried eggs equals 1116mg of cholesterol BEFORE you add the cholesterol received from whatever you are using to fry the eggs. You should not exceed four eggs total per WEEK!!!
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

6 pieces of bacon
One slice of bacon equals about one ounce. One ounce of bacon has about 30mg of cholesterol. Six slices of bacon equals about 180mg.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/can-bacon-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet

One gallon of whole milk
One cup of whole milk has about 33mg of cholesterol. There are 16 US cups in one gallon of milk. So, there are 528mg of cholesterol in one gallon of milk.
http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/cholesterol/cholesterol-milk.html

1116mg from six eggs + 180mg from six slices of bacon + 528mg from one gallon of whole milk = 1824mg of cholesterol in ONE DAY. This is more than the total amount of cholesterol one should consume in SIX DAYS.

Bawang,
Do yourself a favor. Ask a nutritionist HOW you should, or IF you should gain added weight.

Raipizo
08-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Or remove the yolks.

mooyingmantis
08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Or remove the yolks.

And cook the whites in a microwave rather than frying them. ;)

Raipizo
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Hard boiling also! Those are amazing. But yeah if you wanna get muscle get some whey protein etc and get a lot of protein daily.

IronFist
08-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Does dietary cholesterol affect blood cholesterol?

Also, whole milk is gross.

Also, Bawang can gain weight without going on the ridiculous GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) diet.

Also, bodybuilders are not known for being healthy (I'm talking about serious/advanced bodybuilders here, not recreational weight lifters).

In fact, weight lifting lowers cholesterol.

wenshu
08-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Cliffs Notes on Rippetoe's cult?

Crossfit. The Couch Thread. 1,200 pages of a single forum thread full of pics of sickeningly androgynous women, seriously ill advised fashion sensibilities, easily avoidable injuries and a general catalouging of crossfit assface retardedness.

That particular back and forth just happened to offer some witty insight into the cult of personality around Rip and other internet fitness gurus.

IronGarm (http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&start=31275) *****.

One of my SC brothers who could lift a lot of weight. His arm muscle were so big that his hands couldn't even touch his own legs. When he walked, since his arms were curve around, his posture just like a chimpanzee. We all called him "black chimpanzee". When he wrestled, he had no skill. even a 150 lb skinny guy could throw him (he weight over 200 lb).

Did it occur to you that he just sucked at wrestling independently of his stature?

Also, Bawang can gain weight without going on the ridiculous GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) diet.

Also, bodybuilders are not known for being healthy (I'm talking about serious/advanced bodybuilders here, not recreational weight lifters).

Crash dieting is seriously harmful.

bawang, gain all the weight you want, nothing sexier than an Asian with junk in the trunk.

YouKnowWho
08-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Did it occur to you that he just sucked at wrestling independently of his stature?

The guy I'm talking about, he should spend more time on his combat skill development. He should not spend all his training time on weight training. In the throwing art, his strength could help his combat skill, but his strength was not combat skill.

If bawang is willing to spend his training time in squarts lifting, he should try to develop some combat skill at the same time. If he can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, he should consider that option.

After all, to lift a 200 lb sand bag is no difference from to squarts lift 200 lb weight. The weight training benefit is the same. The combat skill training benefit is not.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2400/singleleg.jpg

IMO,

strong > weak, but

strong guy with skill > weak guy with skill > strong guy with no skill > weak guy with no skill

Raipizo
08-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Practice some shoulder throws on a heavy bag yeah. That would be pretty good training.

JamesC
08-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Don't really have time to respond to everything posted. I'll come back later.

What I will say is that I only followed Rip's program until I was squatting more than bodyweight. After that I moved to a slower progression using Wendler's 5/3/1. I agree that Rip has a lot of fanboy's that border on cultists. I just like his simple, easy to follow system because it worked for me.

As for the diet, it's extreme, i'll admit that. However, if you're a skinny guy that can't seem to put on weight, adding in whole milk is a very easy way to get your extra calories. Notice I said start with a half gallon, not the full GOMAD.

Will come back later. Gonna go watch Total Recall.

IronFist
08-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Crossfit. The Couch Thread. 1,200 pages of a single forum thread full of pics of sickeningly androgynous women, seriously ill advised fashion sensibilities, easily avoidable injuries and a general catalouging of crossfit assface retardedness.

That was sort of vague. I was hoping for some juicy details.

Rippetoe is the Starting Strength guy, right? Isn't that just a program that teaches the power lifts and/or Olympic lifts to beginners so they don't waste their time on machines and stuff? I didn't know it was a cult.

I know Crossfit has the reputation of being kind of a cult.

That particular back and forth just happened to offer some witty insight into the cult of personality around Rip and other internet fitness gurus.

Maybe I'll read that 1,200 page thread.

IronGarm (http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&start=31275) *****.

I remember garm from the original days of Pavel's forum. I don't remember why he started his own forum, though? Censorship on DragonDoor?

IronFist
08-11-2012, 07:30 AM
The guy I'm talking about, he should spend more time on his combat skill development. He should not spend all his training time on weight training. In the throwing art, his strength could help his combat skill, but his strength was not combat skill.

If bawang is willing to spend his training time in squarts lifting, he should try to develop some combat skill at the same time. If he can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, he should consider that option.

After all, to lift a 200 lb sand bag is no difference from to squarts lift 200 lb weight. The weight training benefit is the same. The combat skill training benefit is not.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2400/singleleg.jpg

IMO,

strong > weak, but

strong guy with skill > weak guy with skill > strong guy with no skill > weak guy with no skill

Lifting a 200lb sandbag is different from squatting 200lbs. The only thing that is the same is the weight.

I've seen strong guys with no skill beat weak guys with skill. Your two middle examples are roughly equal. Sometimes the weak guy with skills is really good. I've been easily tapped out by a dude who was like 6' and 140 pounds and had been training for a while when I was 170lbs and had been lifting for a few years but was a noob. My thought was "crap, I need to get better!" Similarly, on another occasion I was rolling with another guy who had much more experience than me but was smaller and lighter, I was able to use my strength to prevent him from doing anything. I could muscle my way out of positions and just hold him there. His thought was probably "crap, I need to get stronger!"

Bawang, squat if you want to squat. And try those sumo style deadlifts and let me know how they work for you.

wenshu
08-11-2012, 08:39 AM
That was sort of vague.

http://homework.never-ends.net/wp-content/uploads/inconceivable.jpg

STFU AND READ THE THREAD MOTHER****ER

mooyingmantis
08-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Does dietary cholesterol affect blood cholesterol?

Also, whole milk is gross.

In fact, weight lifting lowers cholesterol.

Ironfist,

This link should answer your question:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cardiovascular/cholesterol/cholesterol2.htm

sanjuro_ronin
08-13-2012, 05:56 AM
bawang,
Lets keep things simple ok?
Look, if you want to get stronger, you need to lift more weight, simple.
If you want to increase muscle size you need to lift more weight, with more reps and eat more BUT eat better and eat well.
The rep scheme for lower body parts is some what debated BUT the truth is that you will need to find the one that works bets for you.
The 10-12 range works well for most BUT if you have hit a wall of sorts, I have heard that doing the 20 rep squat protocol will build some serious mass on your legs ( with a good diet).
In short ( and you do this IF you have been squatting for some time already and are NOT a beginner:
You warm up for a few sets ( 3) as you work up to a weight that you can do for 12 reps and then you use that weight and you do 20 reps !
You stop and breath and rest ALWAYS with the weight on you and do the reps, you may have to end up doing 1 at a time, but do all 20 !
You may throw up and you may die, such is life my friend !
You will not be able to walk for a bit and will walk badly for a few days so do this only once a week BUT it will work dude.

Frost
08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
lol first time I've ever heard that.

Weak people squat weak numbers and use the excuse but i am going ATG.... strong people don’t use this excuse we simply powerlift :)

Bawang a good MMA coach laid dow the following guidelines for fighters,
If they can squat 1.5 to 2 times body weight they are strong for a fighter, so you are doing ok, don’t over think it just squat eat and rest
Its not as hard as people think, 7 pages of advice on the subject is waaayy too much

Frost
08-13-2012, 07:42 AM
And if your goal is to lift and throw a 180lb man, you need to be squatting around 290 pounds as throwing is an explosive strength movement and your explosive strength maximum is usually about 6- - 70% of your one rep max

Hebrew Hammer
08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
And if your goal is to lift and throw a 180lb man, you need to be squatting around 290 pounds as throwing is an explosive strength movement and your explosive strength maximum is usually about 6- - 70% of your one rep max

It would also help if you didn't have 'girl' arms Bawang. Don't make me take you to the 'gun' show.

Brule
08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
It would also help if you didn't have 'girl' arms Bawang. Don't make me take you to the 'gun' show.

You mean like these?

http://images.supersport.com/Carmelita-Jeter-running-120803R640.jpg

IronFist
08-13-2012, 09:13 AM
bawang,
Lets keep things simple ok?
Look, if you want to get stronger, you need to lift more weight, simple.
If you want to increase muscle size you need to lift more weight, with more reps and eat more BUT eat better and eat well.
The rep scheme for lower body parts is some what debated BUT the truth is that you will need to find the one that works bets for you.
The 10-12 range works well for most BUT if you have hit a wall of sorts, I have heard that doing the 20 rep squat protocol will build some serious mass on your legs ( with a good diet).
In short ( and you do this IF you have been squatting for some time already and are NOT a beginner:
You warm up for a few sets ( 3) as you work up to a weight that you can do for 12 reps and then you use that weight and you do 20 reps !
You stop and breath and rest ALWAYS with the weight on you and do the reps, you may have to end up doing 1 at a time, but do all 20 !
You may throw up and you may die, such is life my friend !
You will not be able to walk for a bit and will walk badly for a few days so do this only once a week BUT it will work dude.

FWIW the only thing I got from 20 rep squats was exertion headaches.

IronFist
08-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Weak people squat weak numbers and use the excuse but i am going ATG.... strong people don’t use this excuse we simply powerlift :)

Weak and going ATG is better than weak and doing 1/4 squats.

It's also better than heavy 1/4 squats.

Skinny dude squatting 225 atg > big dude squatting 405 half way down.

I've also never seen a powerlifter talk crap to a weak person using a full ROM. In fact, I've noticed exactly the opposite.

sanjuro_ronin
08-13-2012, 09:25 AM
FWIW the only thing I got from 20 rep squats was exertion headaches.

Because you are weak, like woman !!
:D
On a serious note, I have noticed that for some, they focus too much on doing the reps one after the other as soon as they can and that can lead to what you described.

IronFist
08-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Because you are weak, like woman !!
:D
On a serious note, I have noticed that for some, they focus too much on doing the reps one after the other as soon as they can and that can lead to what you described.

I wasn't a fan of the program. I know other people love it.

I also wasn't a fan of German volume training.

I also wasn't a fan of Pins Into Pillars (PIP).

But then again I haven't done any of those programs in like 8 years or so, so who knows.

sanjuro_ronin
08-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I wasn't a fan of the program. I know other people love it.

I also wasn't a fan of German volume training.

I also wasn't a fan of Pins Into Pillars (PIP).

But then again I haven't done any of those programs in like 8 years or so, so who knows.

Still, you make a valid point that, one must always work with what one finds works bets for oneself and THAT is the ONLY thing that matters.

bawang
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
thanks for the advice guys. im cry many tears of joy becausae my kung fubrothers help me.

btw ironfist i tried some light sumo deadlift and its really easier on my back, thanks for telling me cuz im gonna keep doing it now

Brule
08-13-2012, 11:44 AM
thanks for the advice guys. im cry many tears of joy becausae my kung fubrothers help me.

btw ironfist i tried some light sumo deadlift and its really easier on my back, thanks for telling me cuz im gonna keep doing it now

Look at you, takin advice from the white man. Is this another way of you trying to steal our wimmins and monehs?

FYI - When you're doing those sumo deads make sure you got a piece of KFC hanging from your mouth and grunt man grunts.

bawang
08-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Look at you, takin advice from the white man. Is this another way of you trying to steal our wimmins and monehs?

FYI - When you're doing those sumo deads make sure you got a piece of KFC hanging from your mouth and grunt man grunts.

white men are albino black women. so i am not betraying my people.

IronFist
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Cool, glad it worked for you. Remember to keep your abs tight while deadlifting.

Frost
08-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Weak and going ATG is better than weak and doing 1/4 squats.

It's also better than heavy 1/4 squats.

Skinny dude squatting 225 atg > big dude squatting 405 half way down.

I've also never seen a powerlifter talk crap to a weak person using a full ROM. In fact, I've noticed exactly the opposite.

big dude will be able to to squat 225 atg quickly than a skinny dude will be able to squat 405 parrell :D
Whose talking crap about full range of motion? im talking crap about using the term ATG, as soon as i see it i know the guy using it cant squat heavy for any sporting endevour other than OL lifting breaking parrell is more than sufficent and such people should be squatting pwerlifting style not OL style

bawang
08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
what do u guys think about westside barbells conjugate system?

IronFist
08-15-2012, 09:28 PM

I've heard of Westside Barbell but am not familiar with their programs. Got a link?

Frost
08-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Its a good systme for geared drug using lifters close to elite status

Those not taking drugs will not be able to handle the volume, those not wearing gear (squat suit, wraps bench shirt etc) will find no real carry over from box squats, board presses, lock out etc and will pretty much have to re write the entire programme for max effort day AND for speed training day

And a final thought on the subject
Nearly no lifter in the RAW lifting federations uses Westside, not even those former geared lifters who trained at west side like scot yard

HumbleWCGuy
08-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Concerning the OP.
1. Make sure that you are getting enough protein. one to 1.5 grams of protein per lb is usually enough for natural athletes.
2. Consider adding a new supplement.

3. Squatting is a complex motion so you have to decide where you are weak at and train that hamstrings, quads, glutes or a specific part of these. For me, quads have become my week link so I leg press more to get my squat up.

Sorry about the vagurey, but weight lifting is an individual sport so you have to figure some things out for yourself.

bawang
11-11-2012, 09:10 PM
so i asked pwoerlifting friend and he gave me asseseement

-years of doing horse stance gave me quad dominance and tucked hips

- lack of foundation training in high school .my ass look like two shriveled figs

- overtraining and no sleep

i been told to let go of ego and do repetition and speed work with baby weights. every week one day i do a lot of reps, one day i do 2 reps really fast.

IronWeasel
11-11-2012, 10:21 PM

- lack of foundation training in high school .my ass look like two shriveled figs

i been told to let go of ego and do repetition and speed work with baby weights. every week one day i do a lot of reps, one day i do 2 reps really fast.

REAL A.T.G. squats are more of a bodybuilding exercise, because it will concentrate hypertrophy on the glutes.

If you have an ass like figs...then this exercise may help you.

Squat more than you bench. Four sets of ten. Then add volume before weight.

My a$$ is like two coconuts, so you have to listen to me.

Good luck.

Pics...

IronFist
11-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Tucked hips is pretty much the opposite of what you want when you're squatting.

I know you know this, I'm just pointing it out for the people who read that sentence and thought it was a good thing.

Speed work? For noobs? Why?

You're a noob. Anything you do will make you stronger. Just squat. Err on the side of starting with too light of weights.

bawang
11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Speed work? For noobs? Why?

to correct my form

IronFist
11-13-2012, 10:05 AM
to correct my form

Speed work to correct form? :confused:

bawang
11-13-2012, 10:28 AM
why shudnt i do speed work bro

Frost
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
why shudnt i do speed work bro

because if you cant get the form correct doing the move slow, you will never get it right when you move even faster

bawang
12-12-2012, 02:39 PM
i also do slow bro

Frost
12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
i also do slow bro

doesn matter, you shouldn't be doing fast squats FOR technique or to build technique, you should only work on speed AFTER you have got technique down pat

bawang
12-28-2012, 12:07 AM
i am visiting my family, now i am eating very good food. i ate alot, i sh1t 4 to 5 times a day, and i gained a lot of weight.

i went back to gym at school and progressed to 245 pounds in new year. i am going to stop here and take it easy.

so i think the most important thing i needed to do was eat until i sh1t 4 to 5 times a day.

YouKnowWho
12-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Some good squats advice are given in this clip such as "explosive power" (at 1.32).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sa7Vp_odpE

Kellen Bassette
12-28-2012, 05:17 AM
so i think the most important thing i needed to do was eat until i sh1t 4 to 5 times a day.

Could have just went to McDonalds....