PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Demonstrations

LoneTiger108
08-13-2012, 09:20 AM
I've been a little preoccupied with the London 2012 Olympics and after watching the ceremonies I was thinking how many of you have done public demonstrations of Wing Chun, and how you put it all together?

Here's is our latest edit of our demo at The Martial Arts Show as we used filming of our rehearsals to piece together our four main methods of training into an entertaining format: Form, Interaction, Foundation and Sparring.

We used some original music for the final show and are looking to return next year with a bigger Troupe and different ideas. It may not look like your average Ip Man Wing Chun, but is a fair representation of what we do and how we train at The Yum Yeurng Academy.

The weaponry set was added by my kung fu brother with a few hours thrashing out ideas in my Flystudio :)

Enjoy

http://youtu.be/uivhImHH4hw

Vajramusti
08-13-2012, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1183035]I've been a little preoccupied with the London 2012 Olympics and after watching the ceremonies I was thinking how many of you have done public demonstrations of Wing Chun, and how you put it all together?

Here's is our latest edit of our demo at The Martial Arts Show as we used filming of our rehearsals to piece together our four main methods of training into an entertaining format: Form, Interaction, Foundation and Sparring.

We used some original music for the final show and are looking to return next year with a bigger Troupe and different ideas. It may not look like your average Ip Man Wing Chun, but is a fair representation of what we do and how we train at The Yum Yeurng Academy.

The weaponry set was added by my kung fu brother with a few hours thrashing out ideas in my Flystudio :)

Enjoy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you elaborate a bit? What are you doing in the demo? And- what are you trying to covey in that demo?

I very much enjoyed watching what I could of the Olympics. RE-Those sports of which I had atleast a rudimentary understanding-I was impressed by the importance of having fundamentals as second nature .UK did a great job in managing the Olympics.I passed on some things- including
beach volleyball.

Bacon
08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Your demonstration reminds me more of the theatre show and dancing,
than combat art demonstration... I am not sure, if you really can fight in a way you performed.

But that is just my opinion...

J, ;)

P.S.
Do you do KIAI sound, as done in karate?

Yeah I would say that is one of the worst demonstrations I have ever seen of any art.

LoneTiger108
08-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Yeah I would say that is one of the worst demonstrations I have ever seen of any art.

Ofcourse I am open to hearing your views, and why you think this is so?

Your demonstration reminds me more of the theatre show and dancing, than combat art demonstration... I am not sure, if you really can fight in a way you performed.

Firstly, this was a rehearsal for a 10min stage slot, so I guess you could call it 'theatre' if that rocks your boat.

And why not!? Our lineage is well connected to the Canton Opera, as well as the Red Junks, as my own Sifu was a childhood performer so we have picked up his presentation habits!

Do you do KIAI sound, as done in karate?

Is this a swipe or something? lol!

Yes, we use sound to project power, as in most other Shaolin and Southern Chinese Arts. We also use it as an indicator of changes to the set and such. At the beginning, as an example, we just had our guy shout out 'Wing Chun'. Nothing out of the ordinary, unless your Wing Chun is deadly silent to avoid being captured :D

LoneTiger108
08-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Can you elaborate a bit? What are you doing in the demo? And- what are you trying to covey in that demo?

We presented our four key areas of training, as it states in the titling and write up.

Form - being the expression of SLT
Interaction - being the snake & crane combination
Foundation - being solo set practises according to literature
Sparring - being the defense of Yum Yeurng attacking combnations

All we were looking to do was present our small Troupe and the way we do things. Then we were approached by another kung fu brother who wanted to present some double stick and knife work, so we helped him create a short set entitled Extreme Wing Chun, because that is what the guy is... Extreme! You may see that through his Chum Kiu.

This was our first time out in years, and people in the UK already know us from our time with our Sifu and the mass demonstrations we appeared in for him. Our family has a performance tinted viewpoint of Wing Chun, and this was our interpretation of that in a more thorough and realistic way than we have done before.

So, FWIW, yes we can all fight using the skills gained in practising like this, although none of us would choose to, but the content is very very basic and we purposely didn't include the familiar Chisau that everyone knows. Instead we added little sets that we coach, line by line.

All of what you see before the Extreme stuff is within the Siu Lim Tau we practise so for us it was simply a chance to show how we practise.

I was kinda hoping this thread would invite others to share their public demonstrations of Wing Chun! But it doesn't seem to have worked out that way...

Hasn't anyone got any clips of a demonstration they have done this year?

Frost
08-14-2012, 02:57 AM
It looks like you are having fun wich is the main thing I suppose , but seriously this looks nothing like fighting or TCMA as I know it.
It looks like guys play acting and trying to be opera stars and performers rather than fighters.
Tthe sparring was a joke, no power, no contact, no intent the attacks especially the non wing chun punches and takedown attempts (and I use the term very loosely) were telegraphed and horrible……it was nothing like what fighting looks like and honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 11:03 AM
We presented our four key areas of training, as it states in the titling and write up.

Form - being the expression of SLT
Interaction - being the snake & crane combination
Foundation - being solo set practises according to literature
Sparring - being the defense of Yum Yeurng attacking combnations

All we were looking to do was present our small Troupe and the way we do things. Then we were approached by another kung fu brother who wanted to present some double stick and knife work, so we helped him create a short set entitled Extreme Wing Chun, because that is what the guy is... Extreme! You may see that through his Chum Kiu.

This was our first time out in years, and people in the UK already know us from our time with our Sifu and the mass demonstrations we appeared in for him. Our family has a performance tinted viewpoint of Wing Chun, and this was our interpretation of that in a more thorough and realistic way than we have done before.

So, FWIW, yes we can all fight using the skills gained in practising like this, although none of us would choose to, but the content is very very basic and we purposely didn't include the familiar Chisau that everyone knows. Instead we added little sets that we coach, line by line.

All of what you see before the Extreme stuff is within the Siu Lim Tau we practise so for us it was simply a chance to show how we practise.

I was kinda hoping this thread would invite others to share their public demonstrations of Wing Chun! But it doesn't seem to have worked out that way...

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 11:06 AM
It looks like you are having fun wich is the main thing I suppose , but seriously this looks nothing like fighting or TCMA as I know it.
It looks like guys play acting and trying to be opera stars and performers rather than fighters.
Tthe sparring was a joke, no power, no contact, no intent the attacks especially the non wing chun punches and takedown attempts (and I use the term very loosely) were telegraphed and horrible……it was nothing like what fighting looks like and honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name

it is great that they are having fun.

different people has different ideas on fighting. that is difficult to satisfy everyone.

Vajramusti
08-14-2012, 11:27 AM
----------------------------------------
Thanks for sharing.

Frost
08-14-2012, 11:43 AM
it is great that they are having fun.

different people has different ideas on fighting. that is difficult to satisfy everyone.

true some think demoing special engines in their front room is what fighting is about

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 11:58 AM
true some think demoing special engines in their front room is what fighting is about

Why don't you share with us your real fighting clips?

(Originally Posted by Frost
honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name)

What style of tcma you do? Who is your sifu?
May be you can share us how don't you not give tcma a bad name.

Frost
08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Why don't you share with us your real fighting clips?

(Originally Posted by Frost
honestly its demos like this that give TCMA a bad name)

What style of tcma you do? Who is your sifu?
May be you can share us how don't you not give tcma a bad name.

well for starters if you are doing a demo of a fighting art, actual contact might be an idea dont you agree?

i compete in powerlifting and grappling these days, i can post clips of those if you are interested, TCMA i havent competed in over a decade so no clips of those on the net sorry
As for the style i do, well i was a student of Jeremy Yau in the UK for a decade in his family style, now alongside my sports stuff i train CLF, bakmei and southern dragon

LoneTiger108
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM

TCMA? Fighting? Interesting comments.

What TCMA are you versed in? When have you ever seen a TCMA fighter fight?

Firstly, this demo isn't about fighting. The Sparring 'label' we use is just more fitting than 'Interaction' as we have used that term for years and nobody seems to understand what we are talking about lol! Sparring seems to get under the skin of some.

Take my example. We interact with snake and crane characteristics, and in case you're unsure this means that the one standing still is the snake, the mobile student is the crane. The guys were expressing only three methods, namely saam sik doi chat. These included our Arrow Fist, Single Rotating Arm and Lapsau exercises. Only Lapsau is common as our rotations and arrow fist are a speciality of Grandmaster Lee Shing. In other words, if you haven't learnt from within this family you have not trained anything that you see here!

Then once they were singled out and, coining another phrase, pressure tested by myself and my training partner, they simply defended with one method each, actually using three main postures of Wing Chun called Gaansau, Quansau and Popye. The attack they demonstrate at the end of their set was theirs and theirs alone, it wasn't taught to them they found it themselves in the moment and through rehearsals.

So if this is not TCMA as you know, then you may not have been exposed to any TCMA! And FWIW on the TCMA tip, we are probably one of the families that gets criticized for be too Traditional lol!! And to make yet another point, each set you see here was brought straight from the page.

Joke? It's okay to think so.

But we have only just started and have much more to progress with and show. This was a very basic expression of what we do.

But above all, we did have some serious fun :D Even in this take of our rehearsals I got an accidental full right straight into and through my jaw, not that you would see it because I just got on with the show!!!

But obviously that doesn't help anyone fight does it?

LoneTiger108
08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
As for the style i do, well i was a student of Jeremy Yau in the UK for a decade in his family style, now alongside my sports stuff i train CLF, bakmei and southern dragon

Interesting that you learnt from Jeremy Yau. Lau Gar?? Or just Chinese Kick Boxing student?? There is a bigger shroud of secrecy behind this man than my own Sigung! ;)

Tell me, how do you train a single set from CLF or Bakmei for combat? What have you been shown? More to the point, have you done any recent demos yourself?

I have seen some excellent practitioners, and some really bad ones, so it would be good to get an angle of where you are coming from.

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 01:00 PM
well for starters if you are doing a demo of a fighting art, actual contact might be an idea dont you agree?

i compete in powerlifting and grappling these days, i can post clips of those if you are interested, TCMA i havent competed in over a decade so no clips of those on the net sorry

Thanks!

Is it Jeremy yau of Lau gar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwpVzmlsvg

Sure, share your clip on powelifting and grappling.

LoneTiger108
08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TzSPtaHjkg

My Martial Cousins group doing another slot on stage during the Cultural Olympiad in the run up to the Olympics. This is a different kind of demo, using narration and our standard forms and training sets.

For a closer look at the Sparring section of our rehearsal check this one out
http://youtu.be/20EsWpmpVIM

desertwingchun2
08-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I thought is was a fun demo. If I saw that on the pier or at a festival I would definitely stop and watch. I don't see why people have to be so critical when viewing others art.

I mean I bust Handjobs ballz because he is a goob and has no compass. But if he did a demo why not watch and appreciate the performers time and energy?

Now, if after the demo he went off on vectors and played romper room with his "friend" and their special ball toy, then may be that would be the time to get back to reality.

But as stated I enjoyed it.

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TzSPtaHjkg

My Martial Cousins group doing another slot on stage during the Cultural Olympiad in the run up to the Olympics. This is a different kind of demo, using narration and our standard forms and training sets.

For a closer look at the Sparring section of our rehearsal check this one out
http://youtu.be/20EsWpmpVIM

Great!

Thanks for sharing.

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I thought is was a fun demo. If I saw that on the pier or at a festival I would definitely stop and watch. I don't see why people have to be so critical when viewing others art.

I mean I bust Handjobs ballz because he is a goob and has no compass. But if he did a demo why not watch and appreciate the performers time and energy?

Now, if after the demo he went off on vectors and played romper room with his "friend" and their special ball toy, then may be that would be the time to get back to reality.

But as stated I enjoyed it.

Could you please clarify,
are you and jpinaz represent HFY or yourself?

WC1277
08-14-2012, 01:45 PM

To me, with Wing Chun, everyone represents themselves!

desertwingchun2
08-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Of course I speak for myself. What a silly question.

desertwingchun2
08-14-2012, 02:19 PM

BTW, stay on topic.

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Of course I speak for myself. What a silly question.

Great!

Show your YouTube clip.

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 02:59 PM
To me, with Wing Chun, everyone represents themselves!

Nope. It doesn't work that way.
Everyone represent themselves, but not necessary they know WCK.

desertwingchun2
08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Great!

Show your YouTube clip.

What are you talking about?

Can you jump back on your turnip truck and stay focused on the thread?

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 03:33 PM
What are you talking about?

Can you jump back on your turnip truck and stay focused on the thread?

You don't have a WCK demo to show? Are you are wcner? May be not ?

desertwingchun2
08-14-2012, 03:45 PM

Why would I have a demo clip? Is that a prerequisite? If so I guess I missed the memo.
Am I a wcner? WTF does that mean.

Have I studied WC - yes, Have I used the WC I learned - yes, Was it for a demo - Hell no, Am I a wcner - WTF does that mean?

Is handjob a goob - yes, Has he studied WC - supposedly, Has he used his WC - yes, Did he get flat backed - Yes, Does he have a demo clip - no, Does he play romper room with pretty yoga balls - yes, Is he a wcner - WTF does that mean?

You are a goob and a troll.

I really liked it when you had no interest in me. I'm sure you have interest in many men but I'm surely glad I'm not one of them.

Stay on point.

desertwingchun2
08-14-2012, 03:58 PM
LoneTiger,

Many years ago I was part of a demo in AZ for the Shaolin Warrior tour. Our school hosted the performers and were entertained with many shaolin demos. In turn we did a demo at the arena where they had their show.

We had a kiosk style demo. We demonstrated YMWC. We has Laap Sao, Chi Sao, and forms. The Chi Sao and Laap Sao were continuous and the forms were narrated. After a bit we had a pole demo and a knife disarm demo.

The whole thing was maybe a half hour.

Anyhow it was fun and was cool to interact with those watching.

If anyone still has any video, it would be very cool to post it to youtube.

imperialtaichi
08-14-2012, 04:04 PM
I think the Yum Yeung WC guys did a pretty decent job. It was a demo, it was rehearsed, it was theatrics! And within it there are some good stuff. It was not real, nor was it a workshop on fighting. It was designed to be demonstrated to the general public so it should be light hearted and entertaining, which it was.

If one wants to watch realistic, go to a pub or see a sport fighting match. We all enjoy our KF movies and most are staged anyway.

desertwingchun2
08-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I think the Yum Yeung WC guys did a pretty decent job. It was a demo, it was rehearsed, it was theatrics! And within it there are some good stuff. It was not real, nor was it a workshop on fighting. It was designed to be demonstrated to the general public so it should be light hearted and entertaining, which it was.

If one wants to watch realistic, go to a pub or see a sport fighting match. We all enjoy our KF movies and most are staged anyway.

x2

well said!

JPinAZ
08-14-2012, 04:51 PM

WTF?? why would you drag me or HFY into this? Neither has anything to do with this thread or what desertwingchun said. I think you either hit your head bouncing off a big rubber ball during a 'demo', or you came off your meds and slipped out of your straight jacket long enough to get on the hospitals computer again...

Hendrik
08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
WTF?? why would you drag me or HFY into this? Neither has anything to do with this thread or what desertwingchun said. I think you either hit your head bouncing off a big rubber ball during a 'demo', or you came off your meds and slipped out of your straight jacket long enough to get on the hospitals computer again...

Great!

So, let see your WCK demo video. Since you are not represent HFY.

JPinAZ
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Great!

What the he11 is wrong with you? You're really off your rocker aren't you. why are you dragging me into this thread, I didn't even comment here! Now you're just trolling and I hope we can get some moderation here.

If you are that interested in seeing me demo HFY, we can arrange that. I will be out there next month, when would your crazy a$$ like to meet? ;)

GlennR
08-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Great!

Lets see yours.
All we've seen so far is some very average material presented as "the real 1850 skilz", the ball hitting think was a joke if thats your level of explanation in regards to the different styles of striking.

If thats your standard of WC its no wonder you dont want to meet anyone that you annoy..... at least you have some sense of self preservation!

wingchunIan
08-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Agree, folks seem to forget that demo's are demo's they aren't aimed at the Wing Chun practitioner or intended to be real they are for other martial artists and members of the public. We did a number of demos at the same MMA show as Spencer's original clip. We didn't rehearse anything over and above agreeing the general outline (we were still debating what we'd do as we walked onto the stage lol) and tried to show the practical ugly side of the art. Most people there were highly complimentary and loved the demos but we still got some folks moaning that it wasn't realistic. Short of lost teeth, broken bones and pints of blood some folks will never be happy but what they forget is you need people to volunteer to get on the stage with you and often the demo is repeated multiple times over the course of a day or weekend, after which everyone involved has to go back to work the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3OWk-HBbbo&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1tEFNgYoOs&feature=plcp

Frost
08-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Interesting that you learnt from Jeremy Yau. Lau Gar?? Or just Chinese Kick Boxing student?? There is a bigger shroud of secrecy behind this man than my own Sigung! ;)

Tell me, how do you train a single set from CLF or Bakmei for combat? What have you been shown? More to the point, have you done any recent demos yourself?

I have seen some excellent practitioners, and some really bad ones, so it would be good to get an angle of where you are coming from.

Im sorry but there is no comparison between your sigung and Yau…the politics intrigue and secrecy around Yau is 10 times that around any other teacher or master in the UK lol:o

I learned Lau gar from him, directly not through any of his students so sort of avoided all the bull lol. And for all the c%ap around the man he could fight and knew his stuff, and was accepted within the hakka community in Birmingham and elsewhere as one of their own.

Umm not sure about your point with regards to raining the sets for fighting? You learn the techniques, break the form down apply the techniques against different attacks and then spar. sets to me aren’t that important, the principles behind them are. CLF is easy to fight with for me, hooks uppercuts, overhands etc, whats not to like or be able to use there lol
BAk mei and dragon are different animals to CLF in terms of application in combat but that’s another thread lol Stes to me teach various principles, methods of power generation and combinations those before us used, if you can get those principles down and the methods of power generation down, the rest is easy.

My apologies in the way I came across, the label sparing made me think I would be seeing guys hitting and trying to hit each other with force not demoing what you did show.
For me TCMA is about the fighting skills (yes I enjoy weapons work and conditioning) but the cultural trappings aren’t that interesting to me personally. Both my main teachers had as their main priority hitting the other guy as hard as possible regardless of how it looked stylistically.
My current sifus first teacher was a Vietnamese wing chun and hung guy who escaped after the war over there…needless to say his priority was being able to fight and had my sifu fighting other styles full contact within weeks of starting.
My sifus current teacher came from mainland china and his family were responsible for protecting their village from bandits (a real threat even in the early part of the last century) needless to say he to was driven by practical skills.

I don’t do demos anymore, I train for my own selfish reasons, like I said you seemed to be having fun and that’s the main thing, because for all my talk of it being about fighting skills for me, it also about fun!

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
What the he11 is wrong with you? You're really off your rocker aren't you. why are you dragging me into this thread, I didn't even comment here! Now you're just trolling and I hope we can get some moderation here.

If you are that interested in seeing me demo HFY, we can arrange that. I will be out there next month, when would your crazy a$$ like to meet? ;)

Show your wck demo in YouTube . what are you shy of?

I can meet Garret Gee direct if I am interest in HFY , no need to get a middle man . Thanks.

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Lets see yours.
All we've seen so far is some very average material presented as "the real 1850 skilz", the ball hitting think was a joke if thats your level of explanation in regards to the different styles of striking.

If thats your standard of WC its no wonder you dont want to meet anyone that you annoy..... at least you have some sense of self preservation!

When will you show yours WCK in YouTube? Talk is cheap. Go a head show your YouTube.

Show us a force line type power generation in youtube. Can you even do it? Hahaha.

JPinAZ
08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
From this

So, let see your WCK demo video
to this

Show your wck demo in YouTube . what are you shy of?

I can meet Garret Gee direct if I am interest in HFY , no need to get a middle man . Thanks.

I still don't even understand why your crazy a$$ brought my name into this thread, but since you asked for my demo 2 times now, I'm more than happy to come give you one. No need to make you a video when in-person is so much more valuable. wouldn't you agree? No more learning from videos for you - you either want your demo or not..

But your lame attempt of dragging me into this thread just to beg for a video from me so you can steal more WC is pathetic. You want a demo, let's meet. That's what real MA's (AKA 'men') do, they meet, they share, the exchange, they learn, etc. You keep asking, I keep offering, but then you hide behind your keyboard like a scared shy little girl.
Or maybe you're just afraid to actuall see/experience anything in person because then your BS mumbo-jumbo krap balloon punching made up WC would be exposed like after chi sim grandmaster dumped you on your butt. :D

No challenge here either. Since you want to see what I do so badly that you'll drag me into a thread I am not even commenting on, I'll be more than happy to show you in person. Unless you're up for that, stop the pathetic trolling and begging, it's embarrasing :rolleyes:

Phil Redmond
08-15-2012, 11:37 AM
It was a demo for the general public I'll presume, and a nice one. What's all the fuss about? :confused:

Vajramusti
08-15-2012, 01:13 PM
It was a demo for the general public I'll presume, and a nice one. What's all the fuss about? :confused:
-------------------------------------------------

the usual.......

Wayfaring
08-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Geez no idea. A couple people posted up some public event demos with choreography and music. Some people liked them, others didn't. I thought they were cool, and have done similar types of things long ago to participate in local communities and promote martial arts schools.

Then Hendrik seemed to want to pick a fight with a couple of HFY guys who weren't on the thread. Except for that instead of like a real fight where you meet and spar and punch one another or do gong sau and post that on YouTube this type of fight is a "post up your demo on YouTube" fight, complete with trash talk. I guess that's some kind of new wing chun competition.

I haven't ever seen anything like that, except for like when Mayhem Miller and Rampage Jackson had a dance-off contest on YouTube. But then Rampage wrapped his car around a tree, and Mayhem was arrested for breaking into a church, spraying two floors with a fire extinguisher, and ending up naked on a couch on the second floor.

So we are left without role models for this type of competition and with a big empty feeling. :D:D:D

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
From this

to this

I still don't even understand why your crazy a$$ brought my name into this thread, but since you asked for my demo 2 times now, I'm more than happy to come give you one. No need to make you a video when in-person is so much more valuable. wouldn't you agree? No more learning from videos for you - you either want your demo or not..

But your lame attempt of dragging me into this thread just to beg for a video from me so you can steal more WC is pathetic. You want a demo, let's meet. That's what real MA's (AKA 'men') do, they meet, they share, the exchange, they learn, etc. You keep asking, I keep offering, but then you hide behind your keyboard like a scared shy little girl.
Or maybe you're just afraid to actuall see/experience anything in person because then your BS mumbo-jumbo krap balloon punching made up WC would be exposed like after chi sim grandmaster dumped you on your butt. :D

No challenge here either. Since you want to see what I do so badly that you'll drag me into a thread I am not even commenting on, I'll be more than happy to show you in person. Unless you're up for that, stop the pathetic trolling and begging, it's embarrasing :rolleyes:

You post your WCK demo in YouTube or not is fine with me.

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Then Hendrik seemed to want to pick a fight with a couple of HFY guys who weren't on the thread.

Except for that instead of like a real fight where you meet and spar and punch one another or do gong sau and post that on YouTube this type of fight is a "post up your demo on YouTube" fight, complete with trash talk. I guess that's some kind of new wing chun competition.

Asking people in this forum to post their WCK demo on YouTube and share is a common thing. It is up for the person to share or not.

Bacon
08-15-2012, 05:20 PM

C'mon Phil. I've seen your stuff on YouTube and even though I don't like a lot of Cheung's wing chun you've got a pretty good thing going and I respect you.

I know it was a demo for the general public but utting aside stylistic differences and whether I think demos should be quite so theatrical, taking a look at that video from a standpoint of demonstrating a martial art I saw very little in there which would be combat effective. I don't even know what the silly hand waving bit was supposed to be (it couldn't be chi sao), and terming anything in there as sparring is just wrong.

If you want to demo a martial art, show some forms, okay, show some drills, okay, but show something which is at least semi realistic in there somewhere.

GlennR
08-15-2012, 05:27 PM
When will you show yours WCK in YouTube? Talk is cheap. Go a head show your YouTube.

Show us a force line type power generation in youtube. Can you even do it? Hahaha.

Oh dear, you do have it confused dont you.

Putting a clip up in which you wave your arms around, punch yoga balls (poorly) and drop pseudo intellectual terms [B]does not[B]make your theories true or verified.

If Spencer wants to put a clip up on showing their angle on demonstrations thats fine, but what he doesn't do is then make out that its a WC educational clip to benefit us all.......... unlike yourself

I have never asked for anyone to put up a clip, this is a discussion board and i enjoy the banter and occasional insight that i get from it, and i dont expect that i or anyone else is expected to put up a video..... its a personal choice.

But, if you put up the style of clips that you put up, with the condescending and patronizing rhetoric with it, then be prepared for people to fire back at you

You make your bed, you sleep in it.

Now go and punch some balls lounge room boy

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh dear, you do have it confused dont you.

Putting a clip up in which you wave your arms around, punch yoga balls (poorly) and drop pseudo intellectual terms [B]does not[B]make your theories true or verified.

If Spencer wants to put a clip up on showing their angle on demonstrations thats fine, but what he doesn't do is then make out that its a WC educational clip to benefit us all.......... unlike yourself

I have never asked for anyone to put up a clip, this is a discussion board and i enjoy the banter and occasional insight that i get from it, and i dont expect that i or anyone else is expected to put up a video..... its a personal choice.

But, if you put up the style of clips that you put up, with the condescending and patronizing rhetoric with it, then be prepared for people to fire back at you

You make your bed, you sleep in it.

Now go and punch some balls lounge room boy

Hahaha. You just hate me because I comment on TST demo.

Do you have a WCK demo YouTube to share?

GlennR
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Hahaha. You just hate me because I comment on TST demo.

Do you have a WCK demo YouTube to share?

That old one again.

It is getting tired now you know, and pity is more what i feel for you.

Incidentally, having watched some of your clips and attempts at structure, the best thing you could do would be to go see if TST could give you some tips... you certainly need them

Vajramusti
08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=danny+chan+wing+chun&tnr=21&vid=4652180418592884&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fvideos%2Fthumb nail.aspx%3Fq%3D4652180418592884%26id%3D9d536b1c3a 0a174b594124d8344590f0%26bid%3DocLD1%252bVN39a5DQ% 26bn%3DThumb%26url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.youtub e.com%252fwatch%253fv%253d-PoiOVepwGo&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-PoiOVepwGo&sigr=11a6b7re9&newfp=1&tit=AUGUSTINE+FONG+WING+CHUN+GUNG+FU+DEMO+1979+TUC SON+ARIZONA+USA.MOV

----------------------------
Yes demos can be fun. This is a 1979 fun one that I saw. I don't know whether it will open. If it does- likely to be somewhat grainy.

YouKnowWho
08-15-2012, 06:47 PM

I had shown you my XingYi form on YouTube. You said that you also train XingYi. I had asked you to show me your XingYi clip. You never did (even I had asked you again after that).

If you are not willing to put up your XingYi clip, you should not ask others to put up their WC clip.

Everything have to be "fair".

GlennR
08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I had shown you my XingYi form on YouTube. You said that you also train XingYi. I had asked you to show me your XingYi clip. You never did (even I had asked you again after that).

If you are not willing to put up your XingYi clip, you should not ask others to put up their WC clip.

Good point, but he'll ignore this

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM

This is a wing Chun forum and I share my WCK clip.

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
That old one again.

It is getting tired now you know, and pity is more what i feel for you.

Incidentally, having watched some of your clips and attempts at structure, the best thing you could do would be to go see if TST could give you some tips... you certainly need them

I have never attempts at structure. No need those demo stuffs.

Thanks!

YouKnowWho
08-15-2012, 08:42 PM
This is a wing Chun forum and I share my WCK clip.

This thread is under the "WC session" in the "Kung Fu Magazine Forums". This thread is not in a "WC forum".

I asked your XingYi clip in

Kung Fu Magazine Forums > Wai Jia: The Kung Fu Forum > Kung Fu Forum > Combat vs. Health

not under "WC session".

I would never repeat this old concern of mine if you are not forcing others to put up clips. Again, the world has to be "fair".

If you say that you know XingYi, please show me your XingYi clip. It's fair that I have shown you mine and you should show me yours.

GlennR
08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
I have never attempts at structure. No need those demo stuffs.

Thanks!

You may be right, because you certainly dont have structure useful to combat

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 09:16 PM
You may be right, because you certainly dont have structure useful to combat

You are too outdated. But then you are not doing WCK anyway. How can you know?

Rooting and structure are just for demo. Those are outdated already.

You are similar to those who is still looking For horse while others have fly airplane.

GlennR
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
You are too outdated. But then you are not doing WCK anyway. How can you know?

Rooting and structure are just for demo. Those are outdated already.

You are a clown

I do WC because i spar with it, i can apply structure whilst doing it.

You dont do WC, you sit in your lounge room and pretend. Its a bit like kids playing cops and robbers, you go through the motions but its all just fantasy at the end of the day

Go hit a yoga ball

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 09:26 PM
This thread is under the "WC session" in the "Kung Fu Magazine Forums". This thread is not in a "WC forum".

I asked your XingYi clip in

Kung Fu Magazine Forums > Wai Jia: The Kung Fu Forum > Kung Fu Forum > Combat vs. Health

not under "WC session".

I would never repeat this old concern of mine if you are not forcing others to put up clips. Again, the world has to be "fair".

Speak of fair, one time you promise me a clip if I show you one.
But after I show you , you change your word and didn't share anything.
You don't even honor your words. So, the word fair doesn't fit you.

Again, I share my WCK clips in this WCK section.

Hendrik
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
You are a clown

I do WC because i spar with it, i can apply structure whilst doing it.

You dont do WC, you sit in your lounge room and pretend. Its a bit like kids playing cops and robbers, you go through the motions but its all just fantasy at the end of the day

Go hit a yoga ball

Call anything you like.

You can share you WCK demo clip to prove yourself, if you like.

GlennR
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Call anything you like.

You can share you WCK demo clip to prove yourself, if you like.

Shall i punch a ball in it?

YouKnowWho
08-15-2012, 11:59 PM

Which clip are you talking about? Show me the post that I promised you a clip.

Frost
08-16-2012, 01:48 AM

out of interest are their any clips of you applying your wing chun and not just talking to the camera?

LoneTiger108
08-16-2012, 06:23 AM
I know it was a demo for the general public but utting aside stylistic differences and whether I think demos should be quite so theatrical, taking a look at that video from a standpoint of demonstrating a martial art I saw very little in there which would be combat effective. I don't even know what the silly hand waving bit was supposed to be (it couldn't be chi sao), and terming anything in there as sparring is just wrong.

Firstly, the demo was degigned to be 'theatrical'. As I have previously explained I was first taught as a performer by my Sifu and it is that heritage that I promote with my kung fu brothers. Deal with it. Wing Chun has it's roots in many places, one being the Red Junks and opera Companies and I feel that we are one of the few lineages around today to still operate in this manner. I am very proud of that fact too regardless of how 'unrealistic' or impractical' people find us.

Secondly, EVERYTHING we demonstrated on stage was a DRILL. Sparring itself is a drill, it isn't a full our take your head off drill either. We had 3 slots of 10mins and had to take it relatively easy because nobod wants to get injured at a public display like this and let the Troupe down.

I hope this helps you understand our clips, but looking at your negativity I don't think it will.

'Handwaving' is for people who do not understand what interactive training is and seeing as you can't identify what we were doing says it all to me.

LoneTiger108
08-16-2012, 06:29 AM
I don’t do demos anymore, I train for my own selfish reasons, like I said you seemed to be having fun and that’s the main thing, because for all my talk of it being about fighting skills for me, it also about fun!

Thanks for coming back to me, it is refreshing and good for us to share our backgrounds as it all helps us understand eachother better. you sound very much like some of my Sihings lol!! As we performed so much back in the day we all became numb and tired of the crazy schedules!

You hit the nail on the head with your 'reasoning' about having fun and promoting Martial Arts, as this was and will be our main purpose.

For all its worth, here is one of the final unedited takes of the ACTUAL demonstration at The Martial Arts Show

http://youtu.be/tx0ID9XEZ6E

Hendrik
08-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Which clip are you talking about? Show me the post that I promised you a clip.

It is about short power. You can find it in archive.

Hendrik
08-16-2012, 06:37 AM
out of interest are their any clips of you applying your wing chun and not just talking to the camera?

Have you seen the different power type clips?

Hendrik
08-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Firstly, the demo was degigned to be 'theatrical'. As I have previously explained I was first taught as a performer by my Sifu and it is that heritage that I promote with my kung fu brothers. Deal with it. Wing Chun has it's roots in many places, one being the Red Junks and opera Companies and I feel that we are one of the few lineages around today to still operate in this manner. I am very proud of that fact too regardless of how 'unrealistic' or impractical' people find us.

Secondly, EVERYTHING we demonstrated on stage was a DRILL. Sparring itself is a drill, it isn't a full our take your head off drill either. We had 3 slots of 10mins and had to take it relatively easy because nobod wants to get injured at a public display like this and let the Troupe down.

I hope this helps you understand our clips, but looking at your negativity I don't think it will.

'Handwaving' is for people who do not understand what interactive training is and seeing as you can't identify what we were doing says it all to me.

I think different people has a right to express thier WCK their way.

So, instead of make all kind of citics according to oneself. Share one s demo video on what one think. It is alway to easy to say " this is to short, that is too tall, too thin to fat...."

Why playing God and attack others , show your idea. Keep saying this is not that is not doesn't tell the other what is.

If one want to do constructive critics then go for the technical details, not personal attack.

LoneTiger108
08-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Certainly this is true.

What I find devaluing to anyone who practises Wing Chun is the constant bombardment of insults and criticisms about little film clips that I truly only shared to give a brief example of how one small troupe practises and demonstrates their art. This isn't my own expression of the art either, it is a unified expression if anything because the whole Troupe had their input at different stages of rehearsal. In my kung fu bros words "we put together an organic production!"

Another slightly irritating thing for me is when people derail threads with their own silly arguments, which unfortunately Hendrik you and others have almost managed to acheive here! :(

What I hoped to gain from starting this thread was to see some recent demonstrations from others, and there is only one excellent example by WingchunIan which was filmed at the same event, and Joy posted a crazy looking video clip from the 70s (I haven't got round to viewing in it's entirety yet) which I am sure is of supeb quality too. My big thanks to you guys for sharing.

So, rather than squabbling over who has what clips out on Youtube and having you call everyone out about their own clips, I will be more precise in my question:

Has anybody who posts on this forum demonstrated their art publically this year? And if you have, was it filmed and can you share it please?

Wouldn't it be so cool to openly share with others? Or am I living in a dream world?

Wayfaring
08-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Has anybody who posts on this forum demonstrated their art publically this year? And if you have, was it filmed and can you share it please?

Here's a recent Hung Fa Yi demo / promotional video done by Marcelo Capano, a Brazilian HFY instructor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwyLzKHwWV4

It's not exactly in the category you're asking about, but close enough...

Wayfaring
08-16-2012, 09:26 AM
If one want to do constructive critics then go for the technical details, not personal attack.

My expectation for you is that you lead by example on this. You can do better at this than you have on this thread...

desertwingchun2
08-16-2012, 11:08 AM

Since when?? You criticize anyone who doesn't go along with your silly theories.

So, instead of make all kind of citics according to oneself. Share one s demo video on what one think. It is alway to easy to say " this is to short, that is too tall, too thin to fat...."

Or to say, look at the statue that proves WC is from Ermei Zhang Crane body Snake Engine 1850.

Why playing God and attack others , show your idea. Keep saying this is not that is not doesn't tell the other what is.

Karma Handjob Karma

Go technically hit another yoga ball. Then put up a vid of you actually doing something. Or hows this meet one of the guys here and make a vid of them technically smashing your force vector frame which failed to transform you into 1850 YK.

JPinAZ
08-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Go technically hit another yoga ball. Then put up a vid of you actually doing something. Or hows this meet one of the guys here and make a vid of them technically smashing your force vector frame which failed to transform you into 1850 YK.

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any dumber, you go and say something like that...

..and totally redeem this thread!!

hahahaha, too funny.

LoneTiger108
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Here's a recent Hung Fa Yi demo / promotional video done by Marcelo Capano, a Brazilian HFY instructor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwyLzKHwWV4

It's not exactly in the category you're asking about, but close enough...

You're not wrong! ;) But a Showreel is better than nothing

Nice to see one of the elder HFY guys too so thanks for sharing, it's far better than all the d!ck swinging at Hendrik :o

People! Just post clips of your demonstrations and feel free to explain what is going on too, just as I have tried to...

YouKnowWho
08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
This is what Hendrik said.

I don't believe in clip. And no need to show anything .

This is what Hendrik did:

YouKnowWho
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
This is what Hendrik said:

Why playing God and attack others....

This is what herdrik did:

You are totally nuts. ...

LoneTiger108
08-16-2012, 12:06 PM
This is what Hendrik said...

This is what Hendrik did:

Really??! I mean, who cares??

We have all posted stuff on here over the years that we may later contradict and hendrik has been one of the most changeable and inconsistent posters here so I just take it all with a pinch of salt. Albeit he does sound like he has something against the HFY guys.

We don't need to start the 'who said what first?' baby chatter do we??

Like I've asked at the beginning of this thread... SHARE YOUR DEMO?

Or simply create another thread for all your bullsh1t, or better still go to that Bullshido site and spread it all there!! :p

Why is is so hard to just post a little clip online and share it with 'your' wider Wing Chun community??

Hendrik
08-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Really??! I mean, who cares??

We have all posted stuff on here over the years that we may later contradict and hendrik has been one of the most changeable and inconsistent posters here so I just take it all with a pinch of salt. Albeit he does sound like he has something against the HFY guys.

We don't need to start the 'who said what first?' baby chatter do we??

Like I've asked at the beginning of this thread... SHARE YOUR DEMO?

Or simply create another thread for all your bullsh1t, or better still go to that Bullshido site and spread it all there!! :p

Why is is so hard to just post a little clip online and share it with 'your' wider Wing Chun community??

I don't against anyone. I state my case technically.

kentchang
08-16-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't against anyone. I state my case technically.

Now, you're calling "LoneTiger108" a liar;)

Hendrik
08-16-2012, 02:06 PM

You are just too creative.

k gledhill
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Here is a demo taking the lighter side, http://youtu.be/nm2wdBytuZ4

JPinAZ
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm calling hendik a liar. Why else would he bring my name and HFY into this thread if not to start krap. The guy is either in desperate need of attention, or just totally f'd in the head and can't even remember what he's said from day to day (I'm thinking it's both)

desertwingchun2
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
......... it's far better than all the d!ck swinging at Hendrik :o

Ah come on, you know he likes it ..... :eek::eek:

JPinAZ
08-16-2012, 02:35 PM

that was great, I've never seen that before. Very cool :)

Wayfaring
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Bas Rutten always delivers.

His self defense instructional videos are hilarious too, complete with mouth noises.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mBe0_Ha78

Dangita, dangita, dang...
Don't, don't you ever do this.....

Bas is like the extreme antithesis of tai chi.

desertwingchun2
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
This demo is in reply to Handikks YKT 12 Zhang 1850 no longer allowed to claim Cho Ga Ermei Frame Crane Body Snake Engine Esoteric Yoga Ball Wing Chun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTxH11O2HU&feature=fvwrel

k gledhill
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Bas Rutten always delivers.

His self defense instructional videos are hilarious too, complete with mouth noises.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mBe0_Ha78

Dangita, dangita, dang...
Don't, don't you ever do this.....

Bas is like the extreme antithesis of tai chi.

yes, funny ! I hit a guy with a beer bottle once, exploded into a thousand bits, more dangerous to me and bystanders getting glass in eyes than the guy being hit ;)

desertwingchun2
08-16-2012, 02:55 PM

I was so hoping to see a Yoga Ball

Wayfaring
08-16-2012, 02:59 PM
I was so hoping to see a Yoga Ball

Just for you. Complete with stretchy pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVakhvNFNw

desertwingchun2
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM

I so see the force vector now!!! :eek::eek:
HAHHAHAHAHA :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Thanks D!!!!

GlennR
08-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Brilliant!
Now if Hendrick could do that in his lounge room id be converted

anerlich
08-16-2012, 09:01 PM
We used to do a demo at the Mind-Body-Spirit festival every year, and had a stall a few times.

It was fun but basically had zero marketing value - that demographic were more in to taiji and fighting arts that aren't violent (yes, I know that is an oxymoron).

We've always had healthy class sizes and new student numbers, but we basically got one new student from this source over several years. Not a sound marketing strategy.

You could argue that we should "support our community" and "display our art for the love of it", but to be blunt you have to have a huge ego to think the community give anything remotely resembling a f***.

IMO closeness to home or work is the main determinant of where most people train MA. It's fairly rare IMO for people to travel significant distances to train with specific instructors. They'll train at the most convenient place. I went a fair distance to train with Rick Spain and also to train with my current BJJ teacher, but since the latter opened another gym in a more convenient location, I've been going there all the time.

Sport oriented arts don't have demos. They have competitions. You can see students from many schools and how their performances stack up al in one place very easily.

k gledhill
08-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Spencer I came across this in a german/european forum "the rings" :D

http://youtu.be/3iDHot8fm20

LoneTiger108
08-18-2012, 05:01 AM
We used to do a demo at the Mind-Body-Spirit festival every year, and had a stall a few times.

It was fun but basically had zero marketing value - that demographic were more in to taiji and fighting arts that aren't violent (yes, I know that is an oxymoron).

We've always had healthy class sizes and new student numbers, but we basically got one new student from this source over several years. Not a sound marketing strategy.

Y'know it's interesting that you always look at the business side of Martial Arts, which is fine for you, but I have absolutely no interest in making money through teaching. Our demo at TMAS was simply taking an opportunity that was offered, no more no less. We, as a Troupe, would of course love to expand a little but we are not designed to teach the masses at all. Far from it actually.

From this event The British Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.btcmaa.co.uk/) was formed, where western Sifus from all disciplines aim to get together for more social and community based events to share and promote their respective arts, so something good happend from taking part in the event that is far more beneficial than a few more students paying for instruction.

I remember doing Notting Hill Carnival with my Sifu for ten years in a row, and from our little flag routines we were scouted and asked to perform for our Queen (twice!) so for me performance is key to the future of Chinese Martial Arts. Fighting and Sanda/Sanshou competitions come in second place.

You could argue that we should "support our community" and "display our art for the love of it", but to be blunt you have to have a huge ego to think the community give anything remotely resembling a f***.

The reason we demonstrate at events like this is to create our own public record. Proof, if you like, that we exist because with everything else happening out there n the Martial Arts world we are definitely a minority!

It would benice to get an appearance fee, and this is something we are working on because for far too long the Chinese Martial Artists I know have been abused and treated like street performers, receiving little if any money towards their demos. This is also why Lion Dance is so popular among the Traditional guys, because it pulls in far more finance than teaching, demonstrations and competitions put together.

LoneTiger108
08-18-2012, 05:10 AM
Spencer I came across this in a german/european forum "the rings" :D

http://youtu.be/3iDHot8fm20

You know I aint shy about what I do dude, and this was just playing around for my European cousins when they visited me at my Flystudio, so I'm not surprised it's on another forum somewhere.

http://www.juflei.de/
http://www.centerzmugg.com/

These guys run their own fulltime schools in Austria and Germany and have done so now for over 10 years. They learnt their Wing Chun through Uncle Austin Gohs lineage, and they had never seen this sort of practise before (in Wing Chun) so were very interested. I still see them and now seminar in their schools at least once a year for as long as they will have me lol!!

This is not a demonstration though. It's playing around, so don't take everything you see hear as gospel! But at least I can say that I have learnt this method in my Wing Chun studies. The single and double rings are part of what we do at The Yum Yeurng Academy, and orginate from Lee Shing and Ip Man. Or if you want more specifics, Ng Jung Soh! ;)

But I suppose you were just making an attempt to take the pi$$?

Now Hendrik has gone you all need another target eh... :D

k gledhill
08-18-2012, 06:29 AM
You know I aint shy about what I do dude, and this was just playing around for my European cousins when they visited me at my Flystudio, so I'm not surprised it's on another forum somewhere.

http://www.juflei.de/
http://www.centerzmugg.com/

These guys run their own fulltime schools in Austria and Germany and have done so now for over 10 years. They learnt their Wing Chun through Uncle Austin Gohs lineage, and they had never seen this sort of practise before (in Wing Chun) so were very interested. I still see them and now seminar in their schools at least once a year for as long as they will have me lol!!

This is not a demonstration though. It's playing around, so don't take everything you see hear as gospel! But at least I can say that I have learnt this method in my Wing Chun studies. The single and double rings are part of what we do at The Yum Yeurng Academy, and orginate from Lee Shing and Ip Man. Or if you want more specifics, Ng Jung Soh! ;)

But I suppose you were just making an attempt to take the pi$$?

Now Hendrik has gone you all need another target eh... :D

The mechanics you espouse in punching with it, totally contradict VT. Using it as a shield is a better idea :D

LoneTiger108
08-18-2012, 06:35 AM
The mechanics you espouse in punching with it, totally contradict VT. Using it as a shield is a better idea :D

So explain why that is, in your opinion.

May contradict YOUR VT, but in my Wing Chun this is simply called Lien Wan. Yes, we have circular and linear striking methods. We also strike along more than one line.

Is that so hard to understand?

k gledhill
08-18-2012, 03:51 PM
So explain why that is, in your opinion.

May contradict YOUR VT, but in my Wing Chun this is simply called Lien Wan. Yes, we have circular and linear striking methods. We also strike along more than one line.

Is that so hard to understand?

So you punch the way you show with the ring ? over in a circle and then around the sides , flipping the ring ?

LoneTiger108
08-19-2012, 10:18 AM
So you punch the way you show with the ring ? over in a circle and then around the sides , flipping the ring ?

Yep. :D

The semicircular punch is our hammer fist mechanic and the shoulder line are our straight line (jiksin) mechanic. Both utilize Pinsan methods. Not as accurate in this clip but as I've already siad, it was filmed as we were messing about.

k gledhill
08-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Yep. :D

The semicircular punch is our hammer fist mechanic and the shoulder line are our straight line (jiksin) mechanic. Both utilize Pinsan methods. Not as accurate in this clip but as I've already siad, it was filmed as we were messing about.

got it, as I said, contradicts our ways.

anerlich
08-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Y'know it's interesting that you always look at the business side of Martial Arts, which is fine for you, but I have absolutely no interest in making money through teaching.

I don't know where you got that idea from. I've probably made about $500 in 30 years from teaching, and maybe $300 from refereeing at BJJ matches over the last 5. Not exactly the basis for a luxurious retirement. I've literally taught for decades for nothing.

My instructor has expensive RE overheads, being in the Sydney CBD, and makes a living out of MA. Money doesn't magically materialize.

My point is if you don't know what your goals are in doing demos, or you do and they aren't being met, you are wasting your time.

The reason we demonstrate at events like this is to create our own public record.

Well, bully for you. Not the best way to go about that IMO.

LoneTiger108
08-20-2012, 04:20 AM
got it, as I said, contradicts our ways.

How did I know you would say that? ;)

Funny because your ways do not contradict mine. We are simply the Yum to your Yeurng my friend, but you can't see it that's all.

LoneTiger108
08-20-2012, 04:23 AM
My instructor has expensive RE overheads, being in the Sydney CBD, and makes a living out of MA. Money doesn't magically materialize.

Ah! I thought this was YOUR place? http://www.wingchunway.com/

My mistake.

k gledhill
08-20-2012, 07:52 AM
How did I know you would say that? ;)

Funny because your ways do not contradict mine. We are simply the Yum to your Yeurng my friend, but you can't see it that's all.

Its a lot more than that , but lets leave it at the 'differences'.

LoneTiger108
08-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Its a lot more than that , but lets leave it at the 'differences'.

I'll tell you what, how about you put up your clip of recent demos or training? :D

Or do you not do such things either?

The 'differences' you refer to will probably be quite vast as Lee Shing was in a totally different generation to Wong Shun Leung, and learnt from more Sifus other than Ip Man too. But you know this right?

Like I said, your ways (from the little I know if your lineage) do not contradict my own.

k gledhill
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I'll tell you what, how about you put up your clip of recent demos or training? :D

Or do you not do such things either?

The 'differences' you refer to will probably be quite vast as Lee Shing was in a totally different generation to Wong Shun Leung, and learnt from more Sifus other than Ip Man too. But you know this right?

Like I said, your ways (from the little I know if your lineage) do not contradict my own.

Spencer grabbing a rattan ring then showing your punches hammering , circling, going side to side of the centerline with it, makes it obvious you share no resemblance to the methods we strike with. Sure you punch with vertical fists, thats about the end of it.

LoneTiger108
08-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Spencer grabbing a rattan ring then showing your punches hammering , circling, going side to side of the centerline with it, makes it obvious you share no resemblance to the methods we strike with. Sure you punch with vertical fists, thats about the end of it.

Whatever floats your boat my friend, and thanks for sharing your clip :p

Frost
08-20-2012, 12:36 PM

LAMO sometimes Spenser i like you :)

k gledhill
08-20-2012, 02:04 PM

I dont do rattan ring demo's ;) Ask Frost for a demo of his ring :D

Frost
08-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I dont do rattan ring demo's ;) Ask Frost for a demo of his ring :D

you also dont do fighting or sparring that's obvious...nor clips of any kind ...but my god you do know how to type endless rubbish and hold PBs jock strap for him :)

anerlich
08-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Ah! I thought this was YOUR place? http://www.wingchunway.com/

My mistake.

Not sure what your point is. Where TF does it say it is MY place?

If you're trying to say Rick Spain is in it for the money, so what?

As David Bowie said once "to become a better musician, I had to become a better businessman".

To quote Samuel Johnson: "There are few ways in which a man can be more innocently employed than in getting money."

To paraphrase Samuel Johnson, "No man but a blockhead ever [taught Wing Chun], except for money." I'm probably in that category. You? I say yes.

There are a few high profile guys who teach for free or not for profit, but they usually have other income. There are a few guys who teach for free or don't (can't) make a profit and criticise those who make a successful income from it, but that's because they couldn't arrange a p!$$up in a brewery themselves, and their teaching reflects that lack of organisational ability.

I make my income working in the healthcare industry, and IMO that's a nobler profession than teaching MA. But I respect all my instructors' motivations, bar one particular individual.

If you are looking for an argument, it's hard for me to participate when I've no idea WTF your issue is.

Your mistake? Most likely, and I imagine you have made and will continue to make plenty.

k gledhill
08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
you also dont do fighting or sparring that's obvious...nor clips of any kind ...but my god you do know how to type endless rubbish and hold PBs jock strap for him :)

I just dont know what to say to you anymore .....troll.

imperialtaichi
08-20-2012, 06:14 PM

If you're trying to say Rick Spain is in it for the money, so what?

As David Bowie said once "to become a better musician, I had to become a better businessman".

To quote Samuel Johnson: "There are few ways in which a man can be more innocently employed than in getting money."

To paraphrase Samuel Johnson, "No man but a blockhead ever [taught Wing Chun], except for money." I'm probably in that category. You? I say yes.

There are a few high profile guys who teach for free or not for profit, but they usually have other income. There are a few guys who teach for free or don't (can't) make a profit and criticise those who make a successful income from it, but that's because they couldn't arrange a p!$$up in a brewery themselves, and their teaching reflects that lack of organisational ability.

I make my income working in the healthcare industry, and IMO that's a nobler profession than teaching MA. But I respect all my instructors' motivations, bar one particular individual.

If you are looking for an argument, it's hard for me to participate when I've no idea WTF your issue is.

Your mistake? Most likely, and I imagine you have made and will continue to make plenty.

In my opinion there is NOTHING wrong making money out of MA. Just like any other profession, as long as it is done honestly, honorably and with integrity. Just like any other profession.

Being a professional MAist does have its benefits. I earn a living by working 9 hrs a day and train in my spare time and weekends. Being a professional MAist, one can train full time.

Wayfaring
08-20-2012, 10:14 PM
I just dont know what to say to you anymore .....troll.

I do. Frost from what I have put together I know k works pretty consistently with a high level boxing gym. Now I don't know the details but from logical conclusions it would be impossible to do that for years without developing some skills in your hands. If you want to see for sure drop in on one of his classes.

Now PB isn't my cup of tea, but I can state that he's a good alternative for Ip Man WCK and I'm glad to have him teaching in the community.

Frost
08-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I do. Frost from what I have put together I know k works pretty consistently with a high level boxing gym. Now I don't know the details but from logical conclusions it would be impossible to do that for years without developing some skills in your hands. If you want to see for sure drop in on one of his classes.

Now PB isn't my cup of tea, but I can state that he's a good alternative for Ip Man WCK and I'm glad to have him teaching in the community.

i have nothing against PB, (other than you dont see any actual fighting clips from him), what i do have is a dislike for people who have a habit of posting things like, "thats not wing chun (or VT)"..." you are doing that wrong", "you have no clue about VT", and then not posting any clips of themselves doing anything to back up said claim, the only clips they will post is their teacher doing non contact drills and acting like he is the second coming

As for teaching out of a boxing gym, and i know which one it is, is he simply renting space from them.....or actually teaching the fighters? there is a big difference as you well know

LoneTiger108
08-21-2012, 03:06 AM

I couldn't have said that any better myself!

Y'know Frost sometimes I like you too, but I have no interest in seeing your ring dude :eek:

LoneTiger108
08-21-2012, 03:16 AM

Again, you're a little touchy. I meant nothing by it dude but you take my enquiry in the wrong way again. You must have come across online as a Sifu of sorts.

Well, this is YOUR mistake but I aint gonna throw my toys out the pram about it because I accept peoples pre-judgements especially when they do not know me. I have never earnt a penny from teaching Wing Chun, and don't really want to. I work a 40hr week helping the unemployed back into work, so I guess I'm similar to you in that I believe that my work is a much more worthwhile pursuit of my time.

Hmmm... again this smells of your own issues dude coz I aint looking to argue with anyone (well sometimes I do!) Maybe you still hold a grudge against me for past disagreements?

Either way I'm one who lets sleeping dogs lay to rest, so why not move on or simply post a clip of you demonstrating what you do? :)

LoneTiger108
08-21-2012, 03:21 AM

Y'know this is one of the biggest misconceptions in our Wing Chun community IMO

Wong Shun Leung had his OWN take on Ip Mans Wing Chun, as did ALL of his students, so as far as I'm concerned NOBODY today is teaching Ip Mans Wing Chun. If anything they are only teaching a part of it, or what they remember! Man, even Ip Man wasn't teaching Ip Man Wing Chun lol! :D

Frost
08-21-2012, 03:37 AM
I couldn't have said that any better myself!

Y'know Frost sometimes I like you too, but I have no interest in seeing your ring dude :eek:

whatever differences we have had you are passionate about your art and post clips for others to see, that i can respect....and the only person interested in my ring seems to be Kevin:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

LoneTiger108
08-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Well you got that right Frost :)

Maybe this can explain a little more about our 'differences' as I know there isn't another Wing Chun family out there that has two man sets like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULpaBeVIoDA&feature=plcp

Filmed at a small family BBQ just this weekend by students of my martial uncle Sifu Joseph Lee. Not a 'formal' demonstration but well worth checking out (even for me!!)

Enjoy!

k gledhill
08-21-2012, 08:53 AM
This clown likes rings too....:D http://youtu.be/Ya3Pgv4GZM0

Vajramusti
08-21-2012, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1184195]Well you got that right Frost :)

Maybe this can explain a little more about our 'differences' as I know there isn't another Wing Chun family out there that has two man sets like this...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common problem in over-generalization..."there isn't another ..."".
I appreciate you clip. I am not unfamiliar with two person kwan work...
but I do not hold the pole as the demonstrators are doing.

LoneTiger108
08-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I appreciate you clip. I am not unfamiliar with two person kwan work...
but I do not hold the pole as the demonstrators are doing.

Being from Sifu Fong I guess that you hold the pole with the left hand in front?

Vajramusti
08-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Being from Sifu Fong I guess that you hold the pole with the left hand in front?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Jumping to conclusions. Either hand dependinng on facing and target.

Youtube gives fragmented snapshots of realities.

LoneTiger108
08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Jumping to conclusions. Either hand dependinng on facing and target.

Youtube gives fragmented snapshots of realities.

Maybe, but I was just going by images I had seen of yourself and your Sifu with a pole online not so much Youtube clips. But you're right on all counts. ;)

Vajramusti
08-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Maybe, but I was just going by images I had seen of yourself and your Sifu with a pole online not so much Youtube clips. But you're right on all counts. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------

Cherrypicking?

GlennR
08-21-2012, 03:06 PM
I work a 40hr week helping the unemployed back into work, so I guess I'm similar to you in that I believe that my work is a much more worthwhile pursuit of my time.

Ahhh, it all makes sense now Spencer ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJM1D4CWHX0

anerlich
08-21-2012, 11:29 PM
I work a 40hr week helping the unemployed back into work, so I guess I'm similar to you in that I believe that my work is a much more worthwhile pursuit of my time.

Well, in Britain at present you're going to need to be pretty busy.

LoneTiger108
08-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Ah! Now I get it...

You guys are simply pi$$takers :rolleyes:

GlennR
08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Ah! Now I get it...

You guys are simply pi$$takers :rolleyes:

And finally, he gets it ;)

mickwat
08-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Well you got that right Frost :)

Filmed at a small family BBQ just this weekend by students of my martial uncle Sifu Joseph Lee. Not a 'formal' demonstration but well worth checking out (even for me!!)

Enjoy!

Nice to see my BBQ on here thanks Spence

LoneTiger108
09-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Nice to see my BBQ on here thanks Spence

No probs Mick lol!! I thought another way of doing things was needed to highlight that even the same family can have variations, and that's all okay and acceptable! We are a rarity in this crazy world of internet masters.

But it doesn't stop the same old pi$$ takers unfortunately

LoneTiger108
09-08-2012, 05:21 AM
http://youtu.be/5-zmyZTqgZc :)

mickwat
09-11-2012, 02:23 PM
No probs Mick lol!! I thought another way of doing things was needed to highlight that even the same family can have variations, and that's all okay and acceptable! We are a rarity in this crazy world of internet masters.

But it doesn't stop the same old pi$$ takers unfortunately

Ive seen em come and seen em go its like the comments Ive seen on here about your demo all talk why cant people understand a demo is there to entertain as you know Im not a demo person I like to fight but if you look at the Shaolin Monks its a performance nothing more than that with some gymnastics thrown in doesnt mean they cant fight but it entertains also it doesnt matter what hand you hold the pole in what might be right for your family may not be for others to many people trying to convert because they believe their way is the right way keep an open mind people also if you have nothing good to say and you cant back it up with a clip of your own to prove your point how can anyone take you seriously as far as we know you may have just seen Ip Man the movie and think thats the right way