PDA

View Full Version : The Workout Thread

Lost_Disciple
09-22-2001, 04:39 AM
Hey, I figured while we got all of us here; why not each post our workouts- what we do & why- and everyone offer up some advice, tips, compliments, or opinions?

Anybody wanna go first?

I was thinking maybe we could make our own version of the "Street Fight continues" thread on the Kung Fu forum- that everyone contributes to, long term.

Whaddya think?

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

SevenStar
09-22-2001, 09:55 AM
I don't subscribe to the fact that size majorly hinders flexibility and performance, so I train heavy - Bench press, squats and military press. I do close grip bench presses because they really work my tris, and both barbell and dumbell curls, just to keep symmetry. I also do shrugs and lat pulldowns.

I do traditional training to increase my muscular endurance and overall stamina - plyometrics, various other bodyweight exercises, forms and stance training.

For striking power I work the bag.

for cardiovascular endurance, I jog, shadowbox and work my forms.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

neptunesfall
09-22-2001, 11:33 AM
my work out consists of:

5 min sitting qigong
10 min standing qigong
14 min stances
30 min upper body [moving isometric]
30 min drills
10 min standing qigong
5 min sitting qigong

in 8 days i will be half way through the conditioning program [200 days total], and my work out will be the following for the last 100 days:

5 min sitting qigong
10 min standing qigong
28 min stances
33 min upper body [moving isometric]
30 - 40 min drills
10 min standing qigong
5 min sitting qigong

speaking of workouts....it's time for me to go workout!!

PHILBERT
09-22-2001, 05:20 PM
5 minutes of stretching
25 push ups (I put my legs on a bench)
10 minutes cardiovascular machine
25 pushups (on the ground)
25 pushups (on the ground)
25 pushups (put my legs on the benc)
10 minutes trunk twists with poll
25 push ups (put my legs on the bench, focus on triceps here)
50-75 presses for my lower back (100 lb.)
25 push ups (same as last 25)
25 ab crunches (machine setting 100 lb.)
25 push ups (legs on bench, knuckles)
15 shoulder press (for shoulders and triceps)
15 bar pull down (100 lb.)
15 bar pull down (100 lb.) (I switch my arms around the second time.)
15 rowing (pull back on the bar, 100 lb.)
15 leg presses (200 lb.)
25 ab cruches (100 lb.)

Done

PHILBERT

Kumkuat
09-22-2001, 07:32 PM
PHILBERT, what are those 50-75 presses for your lower back? What kind of presses are those? I never heard of a press that works on your lower back...

Lost_Disciple
09-23-2001, 04:57 AM
Sevenstar
What kind of plyometrics do you do? I'm still real curious about these and only know a few exercises cuz i'm too poor to get a book. :)
I like the rest of the workout, and I think similarly, but I think I wanna focus my workout around the deadlift, the squat, the clean and press, and maybe some bodyweight like pullups and dips.

Philbert
Wow! Do you do that all everday? Do you take a lot of rest between sets? Your endurance should be amazing. Is that one of those push up programs?

PHILBERT
09-23-2001, 05:54 AM
Kumkuat, it's hard to explain. I sit on this little chair thing, and there is a bar on my upper back and I am sort of leaning forward. I then push this bar back towards the ground and it exercises my lower back and my gluteus maximas. hehe.

Lost_Disciple, about 5 days a week. And I just made it up the other day. I just started doing push ups. I use to do about 100 of and on during my workout, but decided to create my own program. My rest is between push ups. I do exercises that don't use my arms, and once I begin the arm exercises (like the bar pull down) I stop pushups. Notice none of my exercises require my arms until I do the pull down bar, then no more push ups. Because then my arms start burning when I push up.

PHILBERT

Lost_Disciple
09-23-2001, 05:56 AM
I'm going to go ahead and take a shot.
This is the workout I'm planning once I finally get out of here and get a job.
This could change drastically depending on if and where I work, but I'll assume Baltimore for now.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
Morning- Tai Chi or other forms
After Work- Forms Practise
Evening- Class
Post class- More forms, jogging (around 30 min worth)

Thursday
Morning- Tai Chi or other forms
After Work- Weights
Squat 5 to 10 sets, heavy, not 'til failure
Dumbell/kettlebell Snatch
Bent Press
Dumbell/kettlebell Swing
Night time- forms & easy jog

Saturday
Morning- Tai Chi or forms
Afternoon- Wind sprints
Evening- Weights
Clean & Press (or military presses) 5 to 10 sets, heavy, not 'til failure
Pull ups- 10 sets
Dips- 10 sets

Sunday
Morning- Tai Chi or forms
Afternoon- basics, abs, & bag work
Evening- Weights
Deadlift 5 to 10 sets, heavy, not til failure
Dumbell/kettlebell Snatch
Bent Press
Dumbell/kettlebell Swing

I may alter up rest times on the dumbell/kettlebell lifts in order to create a more aerobic, calorie burning workout. The other power lifts (including pull ups & dips) I'll wrest between 1 and 5 minutes between sets.

I stuck with compound movements as an attempt to incorporate more muscles, burn more calories, and get as much power as possible. I'm still trying to decide on kettlebells or sticking with dumbells, or a kettlebell alternative, but that'll depend on how much $$ I'm making. There's a kettlebell alternative here:
http://www2.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1275&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=10
Much cheaper, and more convenient.

I'd like to incorporate overhead squats, lunges, barbell curls, cuban presses and tricep extensions; but don't know where I'd put them. I figure class'll have some ab work. I'll probably be doing basics instead of forms until I learn some from my next school (planning to "empty my cup" again).

I think between these workouts I'll drink an MRP or Protein shake to keep my energy levels up.

What do you guys think?
Not enough rest?
Too many workouts in a day?
Good selection of exercises?
How, what, when, where, and should I put some plyos in there?

I've been looking forward to this for a while now. Eventhough this looks kinda stiff, I'm sick of this sedentary life I got and want a program that keeps me active most of the day. I probably won't do it all at once. I'll go easy with each thing for a while, and gradually build up. I don't want to be sore all the time- so my intensity level may be on the low side for each of these workouts. This workout is my ideal at the moment.

Anxious to hear any comments. :)

Robinf
09-23-2001, 03:36 PM
I'll give my workout a shot:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

1-hour: below the waist weight lifting (legs, glutes) -- this is done on my lunch hour
-5 min cardio warm up (stair stepper)
-leg curls (3 sets)
-leg extensions (3 sets)
-glute extensions (3 sets, that kick back thing)
-squat machine (3 sets)
-leg fly-in (3 sets)
-leg fly-out (3 sets)
-10 - 15 min of stretching along with stretching inbetween sets

At night - 45 min TKD (varies, but mainly cardio)

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
1 hour: above the waist (lunch hour)
-5 min cardio warm up (rower)
-20 min of abs (too many exercises to write here, includes hanging abs)
-back press (3 sets)
-ab press (3 sets)
-arm rowers pull thing (3 sets)
-semi pull ups (3 sets, will be real pull ups)
-lat pull (3 sets)
-that forearm pull (that's like a lat pull, 3 sets)
-pushups on stands (3 sets each of regular and parallel)
-push forward (3 sets)
-forward, reverse, up butterfly (3 sets each)
-machine to push weights overhead (3 sets)
-near dips (no help, 3 sets, will be real dips)
-bicep curls (3 sets)
-10 - 15 min stretching

At night: 45 min kung fu, 1 mile jog, 45 min TKD (sometimes this TKD is just teaching, so there's no workout).

Sunday I totally rest.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

ElPietro
09-23-2001, 10:19 PM
Push:
-----
3 sets of 8 on bench or DB press +1 warmup set
3 sets of 8 of DB flys or peck deck
3 sets of 8 military press
3 sets of 8 DB side raises
3 sets of 8 skull crushers
3 sets of 8-10 of triceps extensions (pull-downs)
20-30 minutes of cardio

Pull:
-----
3 of 8 of Lat pulldowns (alternate wide vs close grip every 2 weeks)
3 of 8 of DB rows
5 sets of 8-10 DB shrugs
3 of 8 of DB preacher curls
3 of 8 of hammer curls
20-30 minutes of cardio

Legs:
-----
Warmup - 10 minutes on stationary bike
5 sets of 15 squats
3 of 12 of quad extensions
3 of 12 hamstring curls
5 of 12 seated calf raises

I do each or try to do each with one or two days rest in between workouts. All exercises are done to maximum intensity with focus on increasing weights each time on all power lifts. I have temporarily withdrawn deadlifts from my program until I can think of a logical way to include them again. I think I may alternate one month squats and then one month of deadlifts. These two exercises work too much of your body to work at the same time properly, or even in the same week.

Supplements I take:
-------------------
Isopure zero-carb whey powder
Labrada Lean Body low carb meal replacement shake
Glutamine powder
Flax seed oil
GNC ultra mega gold multi-vitamin
xenadrine (half dose usually)
ZMA (on training days only, and still skeptical about it's effectiveness)

Meal replacement is usually taken in the morning if I don't have time for breakfast...I'll add a teaspoon of glutamine, a tablespoon of flax seed oil, 4-8 egg whites and sometimes I will add natural yogurt to the mix. I make the shake with half water and half milk. Flax seed oil is a good source of omega fatty acids which are good fats. On a low carb diet fat is your friend as long as most if it isn't saturated. Xenadrine I use more for a boost before a workout than anything else. Isopure contains glutamine so I don't need to use as much of it. Glutamine is an essential amino acid which can become depleted if you are working out and on a cutting diet. Multivitamin is very important as your body is taxed more when working out and therefore needs more nutrients to supply your body with in growth of muscle tissue. Also you may cut calories which may also decrease vitamin intake. ZMA, well sleeping is sometimes difficult for me and ZMA is supposed to promote deeper ROM sleep, I have noticed that I actually dream a lot more with ZMA or at least I remember dreaming, and feel slightly more rested when taking it. Also, supposedly aids in recovery but I can't really measure that. Well that's it for my routine. All that typing and even if I do all the above it means pretty much squat without proper diet.

ShaolinTiger00
09-23-2001, 10:33 PM
my new workout: 3x a week to start getting endurance back up to fight regularly. (everything has a 45 second pause between.)

5 min. qigong
5 minutes stretch
5 minute on the jump rope
2 minutes side to side left leg forward
2 minutes side to side right leg forward
2 min. mountain climbers
40 situps
40 pushups (20 normal 10 handstand flip into "bridge and do 10 more upside down)

stretch

2 min. focus mitts punch only
2 min. air sheild kicks only
4 min. thai pads/heavy bag punch/kick
(2 rounds. gutting out the last round hard and fast)

40 situps
40 puchups
Big stretch

I'll be adding and changing stuff as the intensity level increases, but it is a good start

" The reason that sportsmen such as boxers, and wrestlers have a higher success rate in self-defense situations over other martial artists is because they will fight in the same manner as they train." -Bruce Lee

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 05:28 AM
Robin
Just a few things I noticed. This is constructive criticism, and I'm not trying to bash.

Leg workout looks pretty good.
- I have heard a lot of bad stories squat machine, and even if you can't do as much, you might gain more if you stay with regular squats
- You may want to switch up the order every few weeks or so, switching the isolated movements (leg curls, etc) with the big movements (squats)
- I remember reading a bodybuilder bashing those leg abductor/adductor machines- but I think they actually serve a purpose for martial artists
- Good job all in all. I especially like the stretching at the end- provides a good cool down and an opportunity to flush out some lactic acid

Upper Body Workout
- It's good to combine some pushing and pulling, a must to cover them both, but you may want to watch out for overtraining with that many exercises for each.
- When it comes to Abs, a lot of us here kinda follow Pavel, who doesn't recommend high reps with anything but kettlebells, but that's just one theory.
- I think you cover everything real well, but again you might wanna be weary of overtraining; especially if heavy weights and/or failure is involved- I read somewhere than anything more than 15~20 sets is overtraining. If you start feeling overtrained, maybe not go to failure.

Overall it seems like you work the same body parts 3 times a week, which also can cause overtraining.

Just some ideas. I'd like to see other people commenting on each other's workouts and what they think abou it. Personally I could use this, because I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Hope it helps.

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 05:42 AM
ElPietro
Push, Pull, legs- nice split :)
16~18 sets in each one seems like a decent range, because u seem to get a decent amount of rest.
15 reps on squats is scarey. :) I guess you're going for muscle endurance and not strength? You might be risking overtraining or injury with this; not a definite, just something to watch out for- but it looks like you're aware of the dangers of overtraining.

One way to re-incorporate deadlifts would be to just have Push and Pull days. Throw the Squats in on the Push, the deadlifts in on the pull. Throw Hamstring curls in on the pull day, calf extensions & quat extensions on push day. In that case you'd probably have to reduce the number of sets on some of your other exercises to make room. If you reduce the number of reps on your squat, don't do too many reps on your deadlift, and don't go to failure on either; you could still see some significant strength gains doing both in a week.

How is that Labrada stuff?
Still haven't found a good flax seed supplement i like yet.

You look like you know at least as much, or more, about supplementation as I do. I agree with you that sometimes it's hard to find out if a particular supplement does what they advertise (reducing recovery time).

I'd like to see people givin some advice or thoughts on everyone's training. I think we could all benefit from other viewpoints. :)

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 05:44 AM
ShaolinTiger
I really like your training, it looks like it's consistent with some of the stuff I saw in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Kickboxing- Guy Mezger's Workouts. It's also got traditional training with the qigong. Totally cool. :)

SevenStar
09-24-2001, 06:18 AM
I think robin's workout will serve her well. she can work the same parts three days a week - judging by the workout, I'd say that she's not trying to gain size - it's just general strengthening, in which case machine squats are fine for her.

SevenStar
09-24-2001, 06:39 AM
I have a test coming up, and some of my friends/sihings tested last friday, so they gave me a heads up - which may not be a heads up, as sifu usually changes each test. My last test I had to spar everyone in the class for two minute rounds - TWICE, then grapple them all TWICE. This test, if it's like theirs, will be mainly calisthenics. They had to do

140 iron buffalos(dive bomber/hindu pushups)
70 pushups
40 monkeyjacks(similar to frog jumps)
forms - over and over and over
shifting
self defense drills
technique drills - over and over and over
there was other stuff too - the test was three hours long, but this was the harder stuff.

I want this to be a breeze, so I am going to go over and beyond this. On my bodyweight exercise days, I intend to do this:

100 pushups
180 iron buffalos
stance training - as long as I can hold them
forms - 5 - 10 times each
technique drills - 3 times each
hindu squats - 100 reps
monkey jacks - 60 reps
shifting - 20 - 30 mins

hopefully, this will get me ready. This may be kind of intensive on my legs though, so I am going to go easier on my squats in the meantime.

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 06:49 AM
Sevenstar
You're probly right about Robin's workout, my main concern was that lifting weights 6 times a week sounds like a lot.
Your program looks insane. :) hehe
Good luck with it!

ShaolinTiger00
09-24-2001, 03:06 PM
Lost Disciple,

you got it. I recently picked up Guy's book and noticed how similar my old workout was to his (read lightweight to heavyweight training chapters) since I haven't been working out regularly in quite a while, I though I'd take the basic workout and tweak it a little. next week I'll add more things, (throw in Hindu squats, change pushups to triangles or bomb divers, add an extra round on the pads/round of throws. etc.. just keep extending and expanding... its working so far.
I'll always mix my traditional background in whenever I feel it is appropriate.

almost forgot weight lifting 2x a week.

" The reason that sportsmen such as boxers, and wrestlers have a higher success rate in self-defense situations over other martial artists is because they will fight in the same manner as they train." -Bruce Lee

ElPietro
09-24-2001, 03:10 PM
Lost Disciple thanks for the reply on my training. Legs can be trained differently from most bodyparts from what I can tell. I've found it quite common among bodybuilders to go up to 20 reps in a set. (Yeah it is scary) These are guidelines and not necessarily written in stone for me. Depending on whether I'm going for strength or mass I'll adjust the reps and weight. For endurance I'd just hop on a stationary bike or treadmill.

As far as deadlifts go I've been thinking of adding them to my pull day, but I prefer stiff-legged deadlifts, which also give a good burn to the hamstrings. Between squats and deadlifts I'd be sore all week if I had them both. Unless I went light on one or the other...but that isn't an option for me. ;) Anyway I'll experiment with it and see how it goes.

The labrada lean body meal replacement is absolutely awesome. If you are looking for a meal replacement shake you HAVE to try it out. In the 20 box it comes in a tropical blend...4 different flavours...all of them taste really good. When I mix it it's like drinking a smoothie that you'd pay for. Flax tastes like crap and will always taste like crap. Just throw a tablespoon into your shake, I usually have two shakes a day and add flax to both.

Robinf
09-24-2001, 03:53 PM
Lost_D,

Thanks for the critique. I appreciate all the ideas I can get.

I don't go to failure, or even tired, but to the point where it's tough (where you make that face :mad: ). I switch off, so I have 24 hours before I train a muscle group. I thought that would be enough. I know there is the advice to wait 48 hours. Is that the more common rule of thumb, now?

I am looking, now, to really cut and tone. I originally started to help heal injuries. Now, I'm beginning to see results, abs getting cut and so on. I kind of like that and I'd like to work on that and see what I can do. Is it then better to wait 48 hours?

I use the squat machine (which is lying down) because I have a problem getting my knee in proper alignment. But, I'm doing better. I intend to progress to regular squats. Suggestions: smith machine or free weights? Remember, I workout alone, so having a spotter isn't really an option.

I have noticed that in doing abs, when I added weights to myself, the muscles got more cut. I still like hanging abs and the abs on the incline bench. Those are just plain fun. What does a kettle ball look like? We have medicine balls at the gym, is that close?

I'm not overly concerned about overtraining my upper body. It doesn't really get a workout any other time other than the gym. And I'm so focused on being able to do pullups, I guess I might be going a little overboard. I'll take a look at my workout again and try to come up with a better schedule.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Robin

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 05:17 PM
ShaolinTiger
Can't wait until I'm at that point. :) But I gotta concentrate on learning a decent amount of stuff before I start fighting with it (& training for those fights). heheh Problem is, if you've ever read my little bio posts, I haven't been able to stick with a single instructor for very long.
So lifting twice a week works pretty well for you as supplementing your fighting training, huh? I think I'm not alone in being real curious about integrating MA and weights, without overtraining. I guess I'll have to see how it goes in a month or 2 when i get started..

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 05:25 PM
ElPietro

I'm leaning towards Myoplex deluxe- for the CLA; but the amount in there isn't enough to get the benefits of CLA (fat loss). In which case, I'll probly look around a bit more for a good MRP. Maybe buy one of each. :) Might be worried about price more than anything else. heheh I wanna keep my schedule tight and be real active, no matter the intensity level; so I'll be relying heavily on MRPs.

As far as deadlifts go, I'm one of those weird people that doesn't get that sore from deadlifts. I do stiff legged as well. In fact it's one of my best lifts; and before making it a staple of my workout last spring, I can only think of a few other times I ever did them.

On the other hand, anything more than 6 squats will probably get me sore as anything. :) I've done 20 sets on squats before, but I'm paranoid about my knees (which are still a little sore from the one time I did incorrect hindu squats 2 months ago). I don't know of any truth to the rumor that high reps on squats will mess up your knees, but I can't get that thought out of my head when I do them. Otherwise, it works so many muscle groups that it'd be smart to do that one with high reps- in a fat burning/weight loss capacity..

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 06:01 PM
Robin
Well, I don't know if I'm lazy, or just particular- but I hate over training. Not a huge fan of being sore all the time. So I tend to gravitate towards workouts that don't make me overtrained or super sore. A little bit's okay, but if i can't walk for a few days, that's bad.

I lean more towards not working the same body part more than once or twice a week; and not working out more than 2 consecutive days without a day off.

The hard thing is that there are at least 2 major theories you can follow here. I don't know which one's right or which one works for me; let alone which one works for you. :) You can tweak the intensity, the weight, the number of reps, the number of sets, the exercises, and the split (routine schedule). I'm not giving you much of an answer here, I know, but most of what i know follows my theory and goals for working out. Eventhough I want to get cut too, our goals are a little bit different, so I don't know if i can really comment on your plan. Sorry for opening my big mouth in the first place. ;) heheh

I think waiting 48 hours would be a good idea, but that's just my opinion. :)

I don't really like the smith machine, so i'd do bodyweight squats, or squats with the bar before I did them. I used to be able to do 400 on the smith machine but couldn't squat 220. So imho squats are really superior. Most racks have safety bars to keep you from killing yourself, and if u keep the weight low I think you'll be okay. I don't have a spotter either.

2 Reasons weighted ab training mighta cut more. 1. The heavier you lift, the more it spikes your metabolism and the longer you continue to burn calories.
2. Your abs may have developed and added some mass so they were easier to see.
I'm starting to think that, even if you lift heavy, it's not a bad idea to keep the number of reps on the higher side; if fat loss and cuts are the goal. That's why I was saying I was going to try to turn my kettlebell workout into a fat-burning/endurance thing. I might end up doing that for all my lifts: decent number of reps (10), decent number of sets (5 or so), big movements, and heavy.

>What does a kettle ball look like?

Looks like a bowling ball with a big thick iron handle welded onto it. Don't really resemble a medicine ball; but that reminds me i need to get one; THANX! :)

I hear yah about the upper body. Pull ups are my goal too. I tried eccentrics (slowly lowering yourself) and lat pull downs at different times and neither worked for me. Assisted pull ups & Pavel's "oiling the grove" did work for me. Oiling the grove would be doing 1 pull up (if it were my max) different times throughout the day; or at least a bunch of sets. Might work for you. I think machine assisted pull ups get a bad rap though, I found them beneficial.

Train hard. :) Wish I was. :D

Robinf
09-24-2001, 08:00 PM
Lost D,

Give yourself some credit. You know what you're doing (sometimes ;) ). Seriously, I do appreciate any and all comments. It keeps me thinking about what I'm doing so I can make up my own my mind and routines.

I think I've seen a kettle ball. Thanks for the description. I use dumbells to do some of my ab work. My abs have added on mass in order to be seen.

I used to go to a gym that had assisted pullups. I loved it. The gym I have access to now doesn't have that. I just have to yank myself up as high as I can. I can get almost half way. I tried stepping up and jumping up halfway and then pulling to the top. That felt good to see the top.

All my sets consist of 10 reps; and I do 3 sets. I don't ever feel sore. In fact, I feel really good and can stretch more easily. I think my legs are a bit tired on sparring days. I tried to work it so I work my legs on off sparring days, but then my instructor goes and pulls a sparring day on my leg day. Grrrrr. I wasn't too bad, but I just couldn't seem to get my leg up as fast as I normally do.

Say, how's your tam tui coming? I've almost got it on both legs. I get down, fall, but once I rebalance myself, I can get up with my hands. I think it's a coordination thing. Next thing: kipup. I have strong enough abs for it and my legs are stronger along with my back. I think that's a coordination thing, too.

Thanks for all your help. Keeps me thinking.

Robin

Lost_Disciple
09-24-2001, 11:04 PM
To give you the 100% truth I've been sitting on my butt for the last month (and most of another); waiting to hear word on my job status with a few different companies. My main job that was supposed to be sitting for me after graduation has delayed me twice. I've been sending out resumes and applications like a mad man, but I'm not havin a lot of luck with this economy thing. I ain't workin out much at all, except for forms work in the evening just to move around a little.
So frustrated with my life and my situation though that I really can't get anything done in the way of working out or trying to get back in shape. Needless to say I've given up on the tam tuis challenge. Sorry for ditchin out on you a year ago, stuff was about this bad then too.

Just waitin anxiously for the day i can get outta here and get back in shape.

prana
09-25-2001, 05:48 AM
I seriously don't fit in this category :)

Eat
Sit and look at screen
Get fat
repeat...

and a bit of bouldering and yoga.

Lost_Disciple
09-25-2001, 06:27 AM
prana
That's my workout lately hehehe
Part of the reason for this thread is that I could get some input for creating my workout when I finally get out of here; and leave the info out there for other people to use as well.

prana
09-25-2001, 01:05 PM
LD

You seem spritually wise. Do you follow certain "meditations" ?

Actually come to think of it, there are a fair few people in here that are spiritually charged... one cool place.

Thanks KFO!!!

ElPietro
09-25-2001, 03:18 PM
Lost Disciple...get your A$$ to the gym now! Hey I hear what you are saying about worrying about the future and job situations...everyone goes through it. This would be the best time for you to start up training again. Just going to the gym a few times in a week could change your whole outlook on things. First of all you'll have more energy and focus. You will think more positively due to this new energy, you will become more motivated than you are now, and as a side effect you'll actually get in better shape. ;)

I know it's hard to get back into the swing of things if you haven't been working out steadily, i'm always in a rut at some point...you just have to kick your butt all the way to the gym. Once you've gone a couple days in a week you'll be back into a routine and feeling guilty if you miss a session. It could help you in an interview too, as your increased energy will exude from you versus projecting a stagnant aura of inactivity. Good luck to you.

Robinf
09-25-2001, 05:42 PM
Lost D,

You really got lost, huh. I'm there with you on the self-pity party. We had a lot of death defying downs at work from March through now and counting, so working out for me has been difficult at times.

I go with ElPietro--get your butt in the gym. Give yourself that hour or more of not thinking about anything but your muscles. I know, gyms cost money, but if I can justify the expense to myself (sometimes, I'll wait buying toilet paper until it goes on sale, and use napkins from fast food places), then you can too.

Working out will make you feel 1000 times better. It won't help you get a job any faster, but then neither will sitting around ;) .

Keep optimistic. Or try to create your own opportunities. You never know what'll work.

Robin

Lost_Disciple
09-25-2001, 09:07 PM
I wish I could get to a gym.
I don't really have much freedom here.
My folks are helping me out and don't really let me do much now that they have direct control over my life. Not much different than jail. We live so far out in the boonies that it's a major gas issue just to do anything.

It's hard stayin positive when your folks are on your case every single day and you're stuck listening to them.

I'll see what I can do as far as running around the neighborhood. Right now I'm just so frustrated I'm just ready for this to be over. Each day I'm in a sprint to get to the next day by doing nothing and sleeping all day; hopin that the time passes faster.

I'm just on my last nerves cuz I feel like I'm falling apart. I'm ready to tear some stuff up once I'm out of here though. Finally get my life back after 6 years of college and a month or so of this crap.

Thanks for the motivation. I'll definitely make an attempt to work harder. :) In the meantime, I appreciate all this discussion and i hope I'm not the only one learning from this.

Robinf
09-25-2001, 09:22 PM
Just occurred to me. For the severly money challenged, try lifting with gallon (or more) jugs of water or paint. Those can be heavy. OK, not exactly heavy enough, but better than nothing. Get jogging. I lived with my parents for while before I could get a job, then for a year once I got the job. I was so ready to get out, I was ahead of the moving van. I empathize with you. Not only are they on your case, but even if they weren't you have this enormous feeling of guilt. I had that.

You're not responsible for the economy. And you can't let yourself get stuck in a go-nowhere job. Once you're stuck it's extremely difficult to get out. Keep your eyes on the prize. It will come.

Robin

Lost_Disciple
09-25-2001, 09:33 PM
Thanx Robin :)
It's cool that you know exactly what I'm going through, even the "go-nowhere job" part. My mom's friend can get me into a position with a bank her friend works at; but it's like zero applicable work experience for my field, expected to be a permanent position, and i don't want to be stuck living with my folks any longer than i have to.

The good news is that within the next 3 weeks or so I'm pretty sure I'll have definite notice on where i"m going. If I'm lucky it'll be in a week. Once I get that question answered, the rest of the time will be easier to deal with.

If I don't hear in the next few weeks I'm thinking about working at that bank and quitting once something else comes in- which is what I should've done to begin with if I'd known I would've been delayed this long.

Sorry I'm ranting so much about this. I know other people have it a lot worse than me. I'm just real frustrated.

Robinf
09-25-2001, 10:00 PM
I almost took a bank job (my sister had friends there getting me a job), but it wouldn't have been enough $$ for me to live on my own. Into computers I went. We've been on a rocky road, but we're still standing.

Nothing wrong with taking any "permanent" job for a time until something you want comes along. Nothing in this world is really permanent. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good luck, Lost D, and keep the faith.

Robin

EasyNow
09-26-2001, 07:36 PM
do you guys write down your training schedules???

DelicateSound
09-26-2001, 10:04 PM
You guys do so much work! Do you have any advice for someone like me; 170 pounds, 6'0, who needs to bulk up quick without losing flexibility, preferably a routine I can do at home.

I just can't seem to put any meat on me, even though I eat well

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

SevenStar
09-27-2001, 03:14 AM
I write down my schedule. It helps me to put things into perspective. When I was heavy into weightlifting, I kept records of my reps and poundages. Now I mainly just write my schedules down and log my cardio work. I did that for motivation mostly. I've never been able to run any really long distances until recently, even when I was on track, as I was a sprinter. I decided to keep track of my daily jogging for motivation. At first, 1/2 mile had me breathing heavy. A mile was a huge milestone for me. The furthest I have gone nonstop to date is three miles. Looking back and seeing my distances go up is great motivation to keep me running

SevenStar
09-27-2001, 03:17 AM
Do you have access to weights at home? If so, search for threads on this board concerning workouts. There are several good threads here. If you don't have access, try bodyweight exercises, such as frog jumps and pushups. Ironfist posted an awesome pushup workout about a month and a half ago. If you have any other questions, you can no doubt get some answers here! :)

Lost_Disciple
09-27-2001, 05:23 AM
Wish I could find my Getting Stronger book by Bill Pearl. He's got a pretty good starter workout in there that has all standard lifts, like bench, deadlift, squat, bent rows, barbell curls. It's your basic bread and butter barbell workout.

If you can find the book in a book store get it. It's a pretty decent intro to lifting weights; and if you want more info go to the Arnold Schwarzenegger book, the Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding (I think).

Come to think of it that beginner workout by Bill Pearl sounds kinda what I'm looking for. I might just supplement it with some kettlebell/dumbell or awkward lifting motions.

Otherwise, a calisthenics workout wouldn't be bad. If all else fails just do the old calisthenics exercises from gym class- push ups, sit ups, leg lifts, squats, squat thrusts, jumping jacks, frog jumps, chicken walks, etc.

Xebsball
09-27-2001, 05:36 AM
Wow, you guys train a lot.
Makes me fell like a big fat lazy loser.

-------------------------
http://www.infinitydog.com/technicalvirgin/commercials.html

Braden
09-27-2001, 06:32 AM
I often change stuff to find out what works, to keep myself interested, to be in line with goals, and also based on energy and time constraints which is sometimes pretty significant.

Weight-bearing exercises:
-------------------------

Monday and Thursday afternoons:

(3/8) bent-over head-supported wide-grip barbell rowing (upper lats/upper back)
(3/25) bend to opposite foot (lower back/obliques)
(3/12) weighted reverse close-grip front chin (lower lats)
(3/10) flat-foot medium-stance barbell squat (thighs)
(3/8) seated concentrated dumbbell curl (biceps)
(3/12) lying two-arm-dumbbell triceps curl (triceps)
(3/25) standing dumbbell toe raise (calves)
(3/both sides up and down) wrist-roller wrist curl (forearms)

Tuesday and Friday Afternoons:

(3/25) weighted feet-against-wall sit-up (upper ab)
(3/25) flat bench weighted leg raise (lower ab)
(3/15) seated bent-over rear deltoid raise (rear delt)
(3/8) close-grip barbell bench press (inner pec)
(3/10) standing medium-grip front barbell raise (front delt)
(3/12) bent arm lateral (outer pec)
(3/12) lying side lateral raise (outer delt)
(3/12) decline dumbbell fly (lower pec)

Criticisms welcome. I'm particularly searching for better exercises for lower abs and rear delts. Also have yet to find anything I really like for upper pecs, neck, or ribcage. I guess I'm a wuss because I have to enjoy the exercises or I won't do them. ;)

Lost_Disciple
09-27-2001, 07:39 AM
Pretty decent fullbody workout. Like I realized with Robin, I have certain views and theories on things that are consistant with my goals. If it works for you great. Looks like a good program.

Here's some nice exercises for shoulders. I know IronFist won't like it, but who cares. heheheheh j/k
http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_145shldr.html

zen_celt
09-28-2001, 08:02 PM
Here's Bill Pearl's General Conditioning for beginners:
First 8 weeks-
1.Dumbell Swing Through(warm-up)
2.Bent-knee situps
3.Opposite foot-bends
4.Alternated Front lunge with Barbell
5.Medium grip Bench Press
6.Standing dumbell upright rowing
7.Wide grip front Lat Pulldowns
8.Standing Dumbell Tricep curl
9.Standing Barbell Bicep curl
10.Push ups

Do all exercises in order from 1-10 with 30sec.-2min rest between sets. for ex 1 do 1 set of 1-20 for the whole 8 weeks(it's to warm you up). For ex 2-3 do 1 set of 15-30 on week one, 1 set of 15-40 for week 2, and 1 set of 15-50 on weeks 3-8. For ex 3, that's 15-50 on each side.
exs 4-10 are 1x10 for week one, 2x10 for week 2, 3x10 for weeks 3-8. Remeber that on ex 4, it's 1x10 each leg, 2x10 each leg, 3x10 each leg.
Try to train 3 times a week with one day rest between workouts. All lifts should have enough weight that you have difficulty but maintain proper form on the last lift.
Later I'll post the other 2 general conditioning workouts and the All-around athlete one.

As far as the book goes, I reccomend it to anyone interested in conditioning and weight training in general as it has programs for wrestlers, boxers, triathletes, gymnasts etc. I named those because I'm working on synthesizing them into one MA workout. For those of you with access to the book, any suggestions on how to do this

ElPietro
09-30-2001, 05:03 PM
Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl is an awesome book for anyone wanting to start training. The programs in there are decent, although I'd recommend picking them apart a bit and adding in exercises that you are comfortable with if there is something you don't like doing. Comfort is key as you will more likely skip a workout if you don't enjoy it. The book lists so many different movements for all body parts that you should be able to design something quite easily. Unfortunately I cut out many of the pictures for a kinesiology project way back in the day... :(

Lost_Disciple
09-30-2001, 10:46 PM
See, I was introduced to weights by my dad- simple dumbell routines. After that my friends and I tooled around and experimented with different workouts. In the middle of that I decided I needed more time with the basics- to build up a decent level of strength before trying those advanced workouts (that they pulled out of Arnold's book). I got Getting stronger and used one of the basic workouts from there. That was the first time I remember doing squats, lunges, and dead lifts. So I don't think the workout zen_celt listed was the one that I did. I remember there being a bunch of basic workouts in that book like basic conditioning and beginner bodybuilder. I just wish my copy wasn't in storage with the rest of my stuff, so I could verify.

I like that book a lot, especially the history section in the back. That one, coupled with Arnold's book, a good nutrition book, and maybe even one of Pavel's books would be a relatively small library that could last you a loooong time.

zen_celt
10-01-2001, 03:26 AM
There are a lot of different exercise programs in the book. That's just one of about 4 basic conditioning programs. It's also the easiest and most basic. I'll post a few more in a day or so...
-ZC

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

ElPietro
10-02-2001, 08:02 PM
Just remember that pro bodybuilders are often not very good people to listen to for workout tips. They all have great genetics and all take steroids which give them limits far greater than the everyday natural guy in the gym. Pros will post what worked for them but they won't grasp very much on the concepts they are explaining and as a result aren't giving you very good advice.

Don't do everything that Arnold does...that's the moral of this post.

zen_celt
10-03-2001, 04:08 AM
True, what works for many bodybuilders does not work for us all. However in the case of Arnold and Bill Pearl in particular, they know much about weight lifting for sport purposes. Mr. Pearl is and was a personal trainer, worked for NASA's conditioning program, won Mr. Univers and many other BB titles, studied strenghth training for sports, was a star wrestler and football player. His book, "Getting Stronger" was written with Gary Moran, who has a Ph.D in Human anatomy and Kinesiology, and a Master's in Exercise Physiology. He also weighs 154# and benches 270# and is a Triathlete. The best idea in weight lifting is to take a basic program and then manipulate it to fit your needs.
Man, I love that book :D
-Z

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

ElPietro
10-03-2001, 03:40 PM
Heh...i have it sitting here at my desk. Brought it in to lend to one of the VPs of my company to help him out. :)

honorisc
10-23-2001, 06:34 AM
Since my concept is that one is no beter prepared, then one's moment of least awareness, I do not warm-up. As I am to be most capable every moment. With this there can be no trainingas that insinuatesTrying. And since the purpose is to be Ready~, and training refers to preparing for ready. I have relied on what was there before. ((Before what? Whatever, whenever, whatever whatever).

I have done this for what some might consider to be, at least many days. New project~Same thinking.

Under my Breathings There is Practice (but no training. I will be obligated to train and consider it a loss of Self. Hopefully I would find a place to stand, from which I can regard this as O.K.~

There have been movies which show a character flipping-up a coin with the thumb. Do this but catch it on the backs of your closed fingersof that hand. Then pop up the coin withan upward jerk~ of your hand. circle the coin one full time, then near ahalf time, to come down on it from above to catch it...this is Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu, Squirrel, Catching a Coin.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

scotty1
10-23-2001, 11:09 AM
I think my workout is probably quite tame in comparison to some people's, but lets see what you think.
I try and do weights at least once a week. 3 sets of 10 benches, curls, thingies which do your tris (20 cos i use both hands), and like, curls but with your fist vertical (jackhammers??). For my legs theres like a thing on the end of my bench where you just straighten your legs, but its really easy, so while I'm doing that i go to 45 degrees, tense my abs and pound 'em with my fists for about a minute. I also do 3 sets of 40/50 squats.
Once a week I go to class, where we do forms, sparring, endurance etc. a real good workout.
So thats 2 down 5 to go.
Out of the remaining 5 days I usually have one or two rest days. On the other days I'll run , do heavy bag work, shadowboxing, speed drills, techniques, sets, and bodyweight exercises. I'll probably do all of these in approx 1 hour, before dinner, say 3/4 times a week. As often as possible I'll do Lifting the Sky (usually approx 5 mins a day) and The Art Of One Finger Shooting Zen (from Wong kiew Kit). So there - I am a professional or what?! :D :p
On reflection, that probably sounds a bit harder than it is. I am very rarely so sore I can't walk, and usually feel quite (dunno what the word is - energetic will have to do). but thats the way I like it. I don't see the point of doing MA and exercise if you feel so crappy the next day you couldn't defend yourself anyway!! If anything I probably go on the light side than the heavy side. All the running's because I'm training up for a tourney, otherwise I'd probably just do one or two long runs a week, as training everyday really custs into my time with my girlfriend. Plus, I worry about my pounding my knees into
sh!t by running everyday. So people, what do you think? I worry I don't train enough, so if somebody says that, I'll probably get a complex or something!! ;)

scotty1
10-24-2001, 06:03 PM
Do all the threads I post on seem to finish when I post? What, does no-one want to talk to me??

COME ON!!!!!
EVERYBODY ELSE GOT A WORKOUT EVALUATION, I WANT MINE!!! :D :eek: :D

Robinf
10-24-2001, 07:42 PM
I don't see anything wrong with your workout. I don't understand the thing you do with your legs and abs. If the thing at the end of your bench is for leg extension and leg curls (lying on your stomach), then do those and do your abs seperate. How about for your abs, put a weight on your chest and crunch--pushing your lower back into the floor.

Robin

Lost_Disciple
10-25-2001, 03:32 AM
Scotty
It's not that we don't like you, it's just that that post was kinda hard to read. hehehehe
It looks like you're working out, hard and often.
Looks like you're hitting all the bodyparts you can and trying to keep things balanced.

The schedule looks a little haphazard, but there are a ton of people out there that are not super organized with strict regimens and journals that do real well.

I just bring it up, because being more organized, especially journaling the workouts and gains, has really helped a lot of us figure out what works.

Keep training hard. :)

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/4_3/images/gk1.jpg

scotty1
10-25-2001, 10:36 AM
It took a while, but I knew you'd get there in the end. No one else has ever given me a critique on my workout, especially not from a MA point of view, so that was pretty helpful. I see what you mean about haphazard, but there's not really a lot I can do about that because of my lifestyle. Anyway, cheers, its nice to know I'm doing something right. I'm training up for a competition next Saturday, so I am training hard. Think I'll relax a bit afterwards though. Unless I cop a beating, and then I'll have to train harder!! :p

Lost_Disciple
11-06-2001, 02:37 AM
I finally got off my bu++ and decided to do something more positive than complaining all day about how bad things are.

I joined a gym, 3 months late, but at least it's something.

I've actually been doing cardio at least once a week the last 3 months- through jogging, walking and kung fu training. So my cardio is pretty high. Lasted through a low-mid-high intensity workout, lasting 1.5 to 2 hours total.

I'm worried about weights. My time, may or may not be limited. I'm well aware that i've gotta take things slow. Now to my questions:

Does that mean I've gotta do a completely different, "refresher" workout?

Does that mean I should do the workout I wanna do, consistant with my goals, just use lower weight?

How does this workout look for someone who wants a balanced workout, with the goals being fat loss, maintaining muscle (not increasing), and maintaining or improving strength/power:
Monday- Push
Squat Dips Clean & Press (or maybe just military press) Lunges Side to sides
Wednesday- Supplemental Pushing
Toe Raises/Calves Bench Triceps Abs/medicine ball
Friday- Pull
Deadlift Pullups Bent Rows Shrugs Dumbell/Barbell curls
Saturday- Supplemental Pulling
Hamstring curls Shoulder/cable flies Hyper extensions

All I do is sleep all day, so I can probably hack a pretty rough regemin.
Anyways, thanks for letting me rant.

Robinf
11-06-2001, 04:56 PM
Lost D,

'bout time you got off your hiney and into the gym.

Why do push and pull on different days? I understand working different muscle groups, but I don't know this concept of separating further in push and pull.

Thanks,
Robin

Lost_Disciple
11-07-2001, 12:02 PM
My purpose was to design a split program, dividing up the workouts into the different days of the week; without isolating muscles.

I like big movements that incorporate large muscle groups, that's why i don't wanna isolate. Big movements encourage more functional strength, explosive power, and using more muscles means burning more calories.

A lot of pushing exercises use a lot of similar muscle groups. A lot of pulling exercises use similar muscle groups. For example, Bent Rows use a similar structure & similar muscle groups as Deadlifts.

That's why I broke the whole thing down into 2 basic groups- and gave supplementary days for each. The supplementary days use smaller movements and won't cause as much soreness as the main days.

But that's all just my theory on how to get my goals accomplished. More important is tons of cardio and a better diet.

Robinf
11-07-2001, 04:19 PM
Cool.

Thanks for the explain. I'm studying personal training stuff, so the more different theories I hear and come to understand, the better off I'll be. It all comes down to understanding the human body in general and then listening to your own body in specific.

Robin

Jeff Liboiron
11-07-2001, 08:23 PM
i know i should train more, but here is my workout:

45 min on the mook jong
hour and a half doing forms, basics, combinations

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Lost_Disciple
11-07-2001, 10:51 PM
Jeff
Please take this as another view point, and not necessarily a harsh criticism. I understand that doing kung fu can be a good workout; and that kung fu will improve one's health in the Traditional Chinese Medicine/Science sense. Personally I see what you do as honing your skills. It's probly not too bad of an aerobic workout. Forms tend to be nicer on your joints than running, and depending on how you do them, they can be as good as windsprints, or a nice long jog.

Weights are good because they can be used for a calorie/fat burning workout, a strength/explosive power increasing workout, and/or a muscle building workout.

Some people say that they harm internal development, other people say that they reduce flexibility, still others say that they can reduce speed. I think there are ways around each of these arguments. It all depends on how you gear your workouts.

If your current workout is geared towards your goals and getting you the results you want, GREAT! It looks like a good one!

If not, maybe try to experiment.

Jeff Liboiron
11-08-2001, 02:13 AM
I have been studying Wing Chun for 6 months, and love it!! :) and like you said, my workout suites me great and has given me the reults that i have wanted faster than i thought it would, for which i am greatful. I've trained for 8 hours a day a few times when i first started, but i was sooooo tired the next day, so i toned it down to 2 1/2 hours :) although i still sometimes do 4 hour workouts. :D :D

I've tried lifting weights, but i get so bored i almost fall asleep, and i'm missing my leg so i cannot jog, so the running idea won't do. :D

IronFist
11-08-2001, 04:19 AM
Jeff, do you have a prosthetic leg? Or do you train balanced on one leg? In a wheel chair? Just curious.

Iron

Jeff Liboiron
11-08-2001, 04:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IronFist:
Jeff, do you have a prosthetic leg? Or do you train balanced on one leg? In a wheel chair? Just curious.

Iron[/quote]

Yeah dude, i wear a prosthetic
:D

Lost_Disciple
11-08-2001, 10:39 AM
Awesome. :)
Glad you love what you're doing.

BTW- I was sayin that it's probly a better alternative to jogging. hehe

I understand weights aren't for everyone. :)

I finally get to start actually lifting weights again on Saturday. Think I'm gonna tone down the aerobics from 1~2 hours down to 30~45 min- to make sure i stick with it and don't get burned out.

Lost_Disciple
11-11-2001, 08:46 PM
I designed this thread to serve as a workout discussion as well as a reference thread. Going to try to make the same info available here as the other one. More reference threads can't hurt.

Lost_Disciple
11-11-2001, 08:51 PM
Here are some reference threads: Lifting for Explosive Power (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=1421989903) Destrous9's Strength Advice Thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=4111988491) Plyometrics Question (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=9421977313) The Quick and Dirty Summary Thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=7151966062) The Beginning of the Weights vs Plyos Discussion (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=3311981362) An Intro to Pavel (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=8841983162) A Good Deadlift/power thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=9521941652) Pretty good all-around thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=3671991642) The Soreness Thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=1711966842) Fast-Twitch Discussion (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=3631956242) Comparing weights, dynamic tension, etc (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=8431983202) Good Diet Thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=6271977432) Free Weights vs. Machines (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=1371978891) Punching Power Thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=9351931702) Good Diet Thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=196199028&m=9851943381)
Some Good websites to search on: Pavel's Site (http://www.dragondoor.com) Anabolic Extreme (http://www.anabolicextreme.com) T-Mag (http://www.t-mag.com) (ignore the advertizements) Netfit (http://www.netfit.co.uk/) Good Matt Furey-Like Routine (http://www.webfects.com/hea/routine.htm) Matt Furey's Site (http://www.mattfurey.com)
<A HREF="http://www.kungfuonline.com/features/training/powertrain.html"TARGET=_blank>A good Article on different types of strength (courtesy of Sevenstar)</A>

Robinf
11-11-2001, 09:50 PM
Nice job, Lost D! Thanks!

Robin

Jowbacca
12-08-2001, 03:57 AM
Yat Yi Sam
Microphone Testing 1...2...3...
In da pwace to be

Shaolin-Akira
12-15-2001, 09:11 PM
I work out almost every day, i acctualy go to my kung fu school about 5 days a week (if not more) and when i train at home i normaly just do push ups, sit ups, stretch, run and practice some tai chi (love it i just put in this huge pond with a water fall in my yard, its so awsome for meditating) and work on my forms.

when i go to my kung fu school i normaly do this
1)stretch every thing
2)leg stretch machine (thing you sit on and it pushes your legs back) for 15-20 mins, while hitting some rice bags
3)pushups, situps,pull ups, ect....no heavy lifting tho
4)practice all my forms, or learn some new ones
5)run 3 miles
6)then each day we pick out what we do for the acctualy do for a work out, weither it be leopard walks (basicly lunges on your knees, very tough to do) or push-hands/wing chun training, or any other of the 5 animal styles, kicks, kicks into pads,...ect...
7)after a tough work out i normaly do some wing chun wooden dumy forms, or iorn body training.
8)tai chi/meditation "cool off time"
9)then i practice forms some more or learn a new one
and i do this whole work out from 4:00pm till 9:00pm where i jog there from school. if i get there early i get into some deep conversations with my sifu, hes realy awsome =)