PDA

View Full Version : Our very own Kung Fu Corner?

tungmojingjung
08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
So, myself and a few like minded people were talking about forming our very own version of Kowloon Parks's Kung Fu Corner. With a diverse range of traditional styles here in the Northern California East Bay, our thoughts are in promoting traditional Chinese martial arts here in the Oakland, Lake Merritt, Chinatown area. At present here in the N. California East Bay, Chinese martial arts is well represented by such great systems as: Tai Chi Chuan, Ba Gua Palm, Hsing Yi, Northern Shaolin, Ying Jow Faan Tze, Choy Lee Fut, Hung Gar, Wing Chun, My Jong, Pek Kwar, Yau Kung Moon, Northern Preying Mantis, Omei and others.

We would like to hear your comments about this effort especially those of you who are native to the East Bay, and most important those that would be interested in taking part in this great effort to promote friendship through Chinese martial arts, while at the same time promoting the ancient culture of kung fu that we've come to love and cherish.

Kymus
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
I have no idea how I came across this post... but I did.

Anyway, I think this is a good question. I know a few folks on here have done this.

One thing I found that was beneficial was a martial arts meetup group that used to go on here in Philly. The maintainer had his own school and se we'd meet up there, and each time we'd talk about something different (kicks, punches, weapons, or more intricate stuff). It was a good way to share knowledge and see how other people did things.

Having a public meetup group has some drawbacks, though. Meetup.com costs the maintainer money, so unless they make good money, they'll want money from people that attend. Furthermore, you're gonna deal with a lot of flakes (if 10 people said they'd show up, only 3 or 4 actually would) and if there's a fake @ss school in your area, then they may come in too and talk about the secret chi-blasts of their oh-so-amazing style.

Alternatively, you could try talking to teachers in a certain mile radius. I was going to mention Craigslist, but I think a bunch of YouTube black belts would show up.

tungmojingjung
06-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Do you even know what kung fu corner is all about, have you ever been to Kowllon Park, Kung Fu corner?

Kymus
06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
I see, I misunderstood :p

Well, either way, these suggestions should help

ngokfei
06-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Isn't it just where martial arts schools come to demo?

I've seen quite a few postings on youtube etc of various schools.

Seems to draw a decent crowd for what it is.