PDA

View Full Version : Methods of Training.....

DelicateSound
09-25-2001, 12:26 AM
So confused.....

I've recently "converted" to Kung-Fu, after 2 years of Judo, but I'm a little worried about my new schools' training methods.

In my old dojo, there were only abot 10-12 of us in the class, and with a nice mix of higher grade students in the class; you were always learning.

In my new school however, there are few opportunities to pick up techniques as you train, as all of the students are of a similar level, with only the instructor of teaching quality.
After 6 months at the school, my attendance is dropping, my fitness is poor, and I'm having difficulty with simple moves. My progress has halted so much that I'm thinking of turning back to my old club, even though I'm not fond of the style.

Is there any way of improving my training? I see many very talented martial artists at the school, and I get the feeling that somewhere "behind" the club there's a group of experienced guys that train intensively, while we part with our money week after week.

Any of you more experienced guys got any advice?
Would be much appreciated :)

Insert intellectual quote here:

Ish
09-25-2001, 02:57 AM
If you feel like that after 6months you may have the wrong school doesn't mean its the wrong style. but it might be. even if it is theres plenty more to try before you have do do something you dont want to do. I havent been at my club for that long but I still think its the best for me

joedoe
09-25-2001, 03:04 AM
I don't know about other schools, but our school is structured similarly. In the class, people still train hard and get taught different stuff, but there is a group of more senior students that train more advanced techniques.

Having said that, the seniors still train with the normal class and help out the less experienced students as much as they can.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

SevenStar
09-25-2001, 03:10 AM
1. train outside of class.

This will ensure that you stay in shape. It also gives you time to perfect the techniques that you learn in class. My intense workouts are done at home and in the gym. In class I am learning.

2. Ask questions

If you are having trouble with anything, ask for assistance. You sifu and/or sihings should be happy to correct you, and answer *most* questions.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

nospam
09-25-2001, 04:17 AM
DelicateSound,

simply because you converted to kung fu doesn't mean you found:
a) the right gung fu style for you
b) the right instructor
c) the right kwoon
d) various combinations of the above

Go check out other kwoons. Go watch the class or talk to the HEAD instructor. See what she/he has to say. Then try it a coupla times. There are so many variants that come to play..some kwoons focus more on physical fitness, some on fighting, others on tournies, some on theory, weapons, and being able to talk about gung fu.

Anywho, the world's your oyster..go schlurp some of that gunk!

nospam.

EARTH DRAGON
09-25-2001, 05:15 AM
speaking as a teacher of martial arts, I find that class time is to learn new things or review what you already know. It is up to you to practice and get better , you can lead a horse to water type of thing. Also the first part of class should be physical to let the teacher know you are improving and becomming stronger. But again if students are paying me to teach them then why would I tell them to sit in horse for the whole class, and say OK see you tomorrow. You get my point? also every teacher teaches differently so you might just be used to the way you learned but do not close your mind to learning a new way to reach the same goal!!!!!!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Robinf
09-25-2001, 05:49 PM
I'm there with Earth Dragon. Class time is for learning. Practicing needs to be done outside of that time. Also, when you practice the new techniques during class, it's up to the individual to give it his/her all. The class should give you the tools and teach you how to use them, it's up to each student to put them to use to benefit themselves and attain their goals. A teacher cannot make you fit. A teacher can only give you the tools. It's up to you to use them at the intensity you want.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

DelicateSound
09-25-2001, 10:36 PM
....I think I'm going to stay at the same school. Its a well recognised club, and has produced some really good fighters. I think my problems stem from how I was used to being taught. Like SevenStar said, I should just ask.

I'm pretty sure its the right school, and I'm confident in my Sifu, so theres no reason to change. Maybe its me that needs to :(
I definately need to train more outside of class

Thanks anyway for the words of advice :)

Insert intellectual quote here: