PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Breathing in Combat.

Happy Tiger
08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
A great deal is written on wing chun breathing in meditation and hei gong. Less dissertation is dedicated to techniques of VT breathing while in the fray. I would like to hear y'alls comments and opinions on the use of breathing while striking, recovering, at different ranges and so on. Is there any common ground with the breathing techniques of western boxing? Other types of kung fu?
Thanks gang

k gledhill
08-22-2012, 11:16 AM
From experience I beat many guys with good cardio from running
and sprinting regularly. Nothing to do with secret sauce, road work.

HumbleWCGuy
08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
A great deal is written on wing chun breathing in meditation and hei gong. Less dissertation is dedicated to techniques of VT breathing while in the fray. I would like to hear y'alls comments and opinions on the use of breathing while striking, recovering, at different ranges and so on. Is there any common ground with the breathing techniques of western boxing? Other types of kung fu?
Thanks gang

Exhale when you strike, if possible. Breath in through the nose out through the mouth.

WC1277
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks gang

Where has it been written??

You breath naturally. No emphasis is placed on breathing in Wing Chun.

SAAMAG
08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
You basically have 3 types of energy systems, one that works with high output and short duration, what that deals with low output for long durations, and one that deals with moderate duration and output.

So if you were running for example, you'd work your aerobic system with long jogs. You'd work your anaerobic system with top speed sprints for say 10-12 seconds or doing tabata's. And you'd work your mid level stuff with a round of moderately hard strikes on the bag. There's many many other methods...but for breathing in a fight...the best thing you can do is be in shape.

There's no special breathing during a fight.

Lucas
08-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Hopefully it goes without saying that in any fight, no matter your style, you do not breath in while taking a hit. A quick exhale while being hit or hitting is always ideal. As well being able to regulate your breathing, as developed while training, is important to engery conservation and relaxation.

YouKnowWho
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
You should know the percentage amout of air remain in your lung whether it's 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4. This way you don't need a full inhale but partial inhale. A full inhale is the most vulnerable moment in combat.

Happy Tiger
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Where has it been written??

You breath naturally. No emphasis is placed on breathing in Wing Chun.I'm glad it's so plain to you

HumbleWCGuy
08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I would argue that natural breathing is the beginning, but to better hone your fighting. In through the nose out through the mouth is idea.

I read somewhere that breathing through the nose "opens" the lungs more allowing for deaper breathing. So on that ground the research matches the conventional wisdom. Don't ask me to look up the article though.

k gledhill
08-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Avoid open mouth breathing, slack jaw equals easy ko .

Lucas
08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
personally i breath in and out through my nose at most times, but exhale through my mouth quickly when executing a strike or throw or being hit.

and what youknowwho mentions is a great point

Eric_H
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
In the fray merely uses what you've supposedly taught yourself through chi gung - using the breath effectively and in tandem with the motion. Less effort means less oxygen used means more reserves you have for the fight.

Intense cardio and sparring should teach you how to gauge how much you have left and how to dig deep when you have none left. That's why I'm a big fan of tabada drills and crossfit.

YouknowWho's point is very salient as well - always know how much gas you have left in the tank and how much each technique costs you.

anerlich
08-22-2012, 04:17 PM
If you're thinking about how to breathe in a fight, you're handicapping yourself. Your attention should have a broad external focus.

That said, I agree with most of the other comments regarding training to absorb impact and working the cardio intervals and sprints (mainly so you can run TF away really fast)

Lucas
08-22-2012, 04:29 PM
No one should be 'thinking' about breathing when sparring or fighting. Breathing technique comes as trained, just as any other. But, IMO, its a very important topic to cover early and persist with consistantly until you can breath properly. I have seen too many people breath in when taking a body shot.

Happy Tiger
08-23-2012, 09:04 AM
We all know the perils of 'thinking' about technique. Awareness is a slightly different think, though. I am interested in our aproach to breathing in and out while striking/defending. Lin Siu Dai Dar makes for unique breath rhythm. I notice that breath cadence seems different in chi sau than full sparring and fighting. Wing chun can and does inhale while striking, while many martial arts suggest avoiding this.
As an intercept art, VT tends to catch opponents on the exhale. Counter fighters tend to catch their pray more on the inhale getting the value of this vulnerability. Is this true?
I see some VT players snort punch like boxers do. Most do not.

HumbleWCGuy
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
You should know the percentage amout of air remain in your lung whether it's 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4. This way you don't need a full inhale but partial inhale. A full inhale is the most vulnerable moment in combat.

Could you elaborate?

YouKnowWho
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Could you elaborate?

In the TCMA there is a "分段呼吸法(Fen Duan Hu Xi Fa) - section breathing method". You

- sit in meditation posture.
- rub your hands to make it warm.
- cover your hands over your eyes.
- rotate your eyes clockwise 7 times.
- rotate your eyes counter-clockwise 7 time (all the above has nothing to do with breathing).

You then

- inhale 100% and exhale 100%.
- inhale 1/2, 1/2, exhale 1/2, 1/2.
- inhale 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, exhale 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.
- inhale 1/7, 1/7, ..., exhale 1/7, 1/7, ...

This way your body can have better understanding how much air that you still have in your lung. For example, if you want to throw 5 fast punches, your body will exhale 1/7 on each punch and still remain 2/7 air in your lung.

Lee Chiang Po
08-23-2012, 05:58 PM
When we exert and feel that burning feeling it is due to a depletion of oxygen. Most people tend to breath very shallow. Very shallow. They maintain a level of oxygen in their blood to maintain the lazy activity of the moment, but if they suddenly have to burst out with some rapid and extended activity, they burn out quickly. If you breath too deeply all the time you can maintain a greater level of oxygen, but if you do this too quickly you have a higher level that is going to make you woozy and lazy again. Breathing through the nose in and mouth out is something that is more for preventing the intake of objects that can choke you. Hair in the nose acts as a filter and most insects can not be simply drawn in. Breathing deeply by mouth can easily get a large insect down the wind pipe. Also, you can regulate the rate of exhausting. Closing off the outflow makes the air sort of compress, which makes it enter the blood at a slightly higher rate. You can discharge air on impact either when being hit or hitting with a full lung or an almost empty lung, it does the same thing for you. It is best to breath deeply so that you can do a lot of hitting and absorbing on a single breath.
I was taught to breath deeply and at an appropriate rate when I was coming up. It is something you need to develop as a habit so that you do it under all conditions and situations.

Happy Tiger
08-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Some very interesting posts, especially from You Know Who and Kevin. On the issue of nothing special for breath in combat I suppose in a very real sense this is true. Kevin I really like your point about slack jaw.
Thanx gang

wingchunIan
08-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Exhale when you strike, if possible. Breath in through the nose out through the mouth.

This is true for other arts but not for the Wing Chun that I practice. If your strikes are thrown in clusters then breathing should be natural not timed to your strikes. If you throw more than one strike per second breathing with your strikes is impractical.

HumbleWCGuy
08-25-2012, 01:37 PM
If your strikes are thrown in clusters then breathing should be natural not timed to your strikes. If you throw more than one strike per second breathing with your strikes is impractical.

I completely disagree with that. But to each his own. As you know who pointed out, it's done by letting out a controlled amount of air per strike. Again, natural breathing is fine, but if you are looking to achieve at higher levels, I recommend giving it a legitimate try. It is similar to the Kiai in karate without emphasis on vocalization. It adds extra umph to your punches.

I should add, if I am throwing arm punches, then yea, I can't control my breadth in the manner described. If I am throwing with the body, it certainly will work just fine. FYI, I am not disparaging punches with just the arms. They have their place.

Yoshiyahu
08-27-2012, 12:57 PM
There are Two Basic Breaths we utilize...

-Natural Breathing when fatigued

-Reversed Breath with Adrenaline

Reverese breath you utilize when you can. You must first build it up by high anaerobic sparring, and other drills. Not chi sau but sparring. Ne Way with each strike you exhale. with each uplifting(uprooting) or pulling move you inhale. Upon External Strikes Exhale to dispel the chi.

But doing Reverse Breath will cause you to fatigue eventually depending on your carido and stamina. So use natural and reverse interchangably. Learn how to conserve energy by conserving your breath...

Also build up your wind by doing other exercise while breathing like

low impact drills

-push ups with the breath Up(Breath goes out) Down (Breath comes in)

-strecthing Breath as the muscles looses

-Sit Ups practice the reverse breath

-SLT, CK, and BJ practice reverse breathing "Do the forms fast for anerobic benefit"

- Explosive push ups

-Explosive squats

-Explosive jumps

-Breath Naturally while Jogging, Running up hill and Jumping rope...

Happy Tiger
08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
There are Two Basic Breaths we utilize...

-Natural Breathing when fatigued

-Reversed Breath with Adrenaline

Reverese breath you utilize when you can. You must first build it up by high anaerobic sparring, and other drills. Not chi sau but sparring. Ne Way with each strike you exhale. with each uplifting(uprooting) or pulling move you inhale. Upon External Strikes Exhale to dispel the chi.

But doing Reverse Breath will cause you to fatigue eventually depending on your carido and stamina. So use natural and reverse interchangably. Learn how to conserve energy by conserving your breath...

Also build up your wind by doing other exercise while breathing like

low impact drills

-push ups with the breath Up(Breath goes out) Down (Breath comes in)

-strecthing Breath as the muscles looses

-Sit Ups practice the reverse breath

-SLT, CK, and BJ practice reverse breathing "Do the forms fast for anerobic benefit"

- Explosive push ups

-Explosive squats

-Explosive jumps

-Breath Naturally while Jogging, Running up hill and Jumping rope...
Good post. I found an old thread of yours on this subject. 'Sfunny some seem to minimise or guffaw this area of development but as can see, there are things to be known and advantages to be had understanding not only your breathing demeanour but your opponents also.

Yoshiyahu
08-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks happy Tiger...So what are some of the advantages to utilizing the breath and recognizing your opponents breathing habits...

But I will say this getting off the subject. Some people who are not taught to breath naturally end up holding their breath while sparring...which causess them to get gassed easily and quickly.

Good post. I found an old thread of yours on this subject. 'Sfunny some seem to minimise or guffaw this area of development but as can see, there are things to be known and advantages to be had understanding not only your breathing demeanour but your opponents also.

Happy Tiger
08-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks happy Tiger...So what are some of the advantages to utilizing the breath and recognizing your opponents breathing habits...

But I will say this getting off the subject. Some people who are not taught to breath naturally end up holding their breath while sparring...which causess them to get gassed easily and quickly.
When in combat, I use a two breath in one out method for both chi sau and free fighting and often will 'reverse' breath.
As a 'counter fighter' I like to catch my opponent on the inhale when I can.
In chi sau or any contact I'm very aware of my opponents breath (esp; halitosis :))
Like anything in fight, all must happen naturally.
Many times my first hit will be hard to the heart and or sternum. It is often less protected, draws their guard down and especially when caught on the inhale can be very debilitating. I've found fighters breath quite diferently in chi sau than in free fight and take advantage of any and all detected rhythms.
I also train to be hit on inhale to teach my body to bear with.
Of course breathing in grappling is again diferent in scope and rhythm.

Yoshiyahu
08-31-2012, 09:00 AM
What you says makes alot of sense. I can honestly say i learned something from this post...Thanks alot for sharing your method...There may be hope for this forum after all with people like you...

When in combat, I use a two breath in one out method for both chi sau and free fighting and often will 'reverse' breath.
As a 'counter fighter' I like to catch my opponent on the inhale when I can.
In chi sau or any contact I'm very aware of my opponents breath (esp; halitosis :))
Like anything in fight, all must happen naturally.
Many times my first hit will be hard to the heart and or sternum. It is often less protected, draws their guard down and especially when caught on the inhale can be very debilitating. I've found fighters breath quite diferently in chi sau than in free fight and take advantage of any and all detected rhythms.
I also train to be hit on inhale to teach my body to bear with.
Of course breathing in grappling is again diferent in scope and rhythm.

Happy Tiger
09-02-2012, 09:34 AM
What you says makes alot of sense. I can honestly say i learned something from this post...Thanks alot for sharing your method...There may be hope for this forum after all with people like you...
Nice thing tuh say, man. You ask questions honestly 'cause your interested in what people think. One other little curiosity of combat breathing is synchopation...which is odd but rhythmic patterns in breath between opponents. Funny but fighters often breath in out at the same time, synchronised...and when there not matched, they are synchopated like windscreen wipers get.

Yoshiyahu
09-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Nice thing tuh say, man. You ask questions honestly 'cause your interested in what people think. One other little curiosity of combat breathing is synchopation...which is odd but rhythmic patterns in breath between opponents. Funny but fighters often breath in out at the same time, synchronised...and when there not matched, they are synchopated like windscreen wipers get.

sorry i may need to read this over again...Why is Synchopation mean? You lost me with this last post sorry...not trying to be funny but can you re-word it for me?

Happy Tiger
09-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I love playing the harmonica. A chinese invention, the harmonica is the only wind instrument(I suppose, technically it's a reed instrument) which plays notes on the exhale AND inhale. As well, has an entirely different style of playing related to draw (inhale) as opposed to breath (exhale) playing. When I see some one, their breath seems to expand and contract the space around them (negative space) Everyone must breath in. It is not such a fragile...>Negitive< place to be . -it can actually be quite aggressive.

Happy Tiger
09-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I love playing the harmonica. A chinese invention, the harmonica is the only wind instrument which plays notes on the exhale AND inhale. As well, has an entirely different style of playing related to draw (inhale) as opposed to breath (exhale) playing. When I see some one, their breath seems to expand and contract the space around them (negative space) Everyone must breath in. It is not such a fragile...>Negitive< place to be . -it can actually be quite aggressive.
If you are in a gun duel, do you inhale or exhale on the draw?