PDA

View Full Version : Stretching Question

EasyNow
09-26-2001, 07:41 PM
I have been doing lauw Gar (I think thats how you spell it) kung fu for a few monthes now and was wondering if anyone could give me advice.

I would like to begin a stretching program which will enable me to have higher and faster kicks (front, side and roundhouse) I don't know ANY leg stretches and would like to know some for all the muscles which are used in the legs.

ps, I am very impressed by the ammount of knowledge in these forums.

DelicateSound
09-26-2001, 09:52 PM
...is how it's spelt. I presume you are in the UK. If so the BKFA publish a good simple stretching routine, we have one pinned up on the wall, you should too. Its a good simple routine to start from. You should be able to get a copy from the BKFA HQ, although I'm pretty sure there ain't one on the website. If you can't get a copy or if you need their address I can e-mail it to you. BTW, where in the UK are you, I study Lau-Gar too, in S-O-T

Insert intellectual quote here:

EasyNow
09-27-2001, 12:13 AM
yes, lau gar, my friend said it was **** (he does wing chun) is he right???????

My club is with the NWKBA for some stupid reason. And how did you know i was from uk(manchester) ?????????

scotty1
09-27-2001, 01:01 PM
I see what you're friend means by saying Lau Gar is **** from a Wing Chun perspective. I did Lau Gar myself for a year and have now moved and I'm doing 5 animals style. Lau Gar is apparently a more sport based style based on Wing Chun and Shaolin. It gave me an excellent introduction and basic skills, but I don't think it is as complex as, say, 5 Animals or even Wing Chun. It kind of reminded me of kickboxing, which is how its taught in a lot of places, as kung fu/kickboxing until a more advanced level. But for you're friend to say it's ****, well, I don't know how skilled you'r friend is but I'm sure a skilled exponent of Lau Gar could whup him if he was better, Wing Chun or not. :D

DelicateSound
09-27-2001, 11:44 PM
I knew you were from the UK, as Lau Gar is almost a totally UK based system, brought over and taught by Master Jeremy Yau.

It's a very effective system, and although it does place a lot of emphesis on physical fitness and on sparring, it is a very effective system.
Being a Southern style of Kung-Fu it shares a lot of common ground with arts like Wing Chun, and a large part of the course is based on punching.

It's a very effective style (one of the most popular in the UK) and had produced many champions.

I don't know anything about the NWKBA? I presume it is a Kickboxing Authority, as Lau Gar Kung-Fu is now taught alongside Lau Gar Kickboxing. The two share a lot of ground, but the Kung-Fu syllabus places much more emphesis on traditional sets, and on speed.

Stick with it - its a good style but requires a lot of outside practise (don't they all) :)

P.S - Where in Manchester?

Fu-Pow
09-28-2001, 01:20 AM
The Lau Gar I learned bore no resemblance to Wing Chun. I learned it from the Lam Sai Wing branch of Hung Gar. It is more like Hung Gar than anything. Kind of mid-range 5 animals style. I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about.

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

DelicateSound
09-28-2001, 02:26 PM
There is quite a bit of 5 animals syllabus work taught in Lau-Gar. However the way its taught now is more sparring orientated.

I agree that there is a good comparison with Hung-Gar.

Fu-Pow - Whereabouts did you study it?

EasyNow - If you want to know more, the Lau-Gar website is at www.bkfa.org.uk (http://www.bkfa.org.uk). It'll tell you all you need to know

EasyNow
09-28-2001, 09:27 PM
thanks.

6 hours a night every night??? this guy must have been seriously good.

EasyNow
09-28-2001, 11:28 PM
also, i am doing these leg stretches http://physicaltherapy.about.com/library/weekly/aa081501d.htm

should i continue with these?

Colin
09-29-2001, 05:24 PM
Go do a search on Lau Gar on this forum, and read some of the stuff by myself and other Lau Gar students.
You should find all you need to know.
To delicate, keep training in Stoke. You have some of the best instructors in the UK available to you.
If you want to chat about Lau or anything else ask here or feel free to email me.
To Scotty, Oh dear! You did Lau Gar Kuen for how long? Get someone from Lau Gar to show you our five Animals set and then tell them it's basic!
As for WC. there is no technique within WC i've seen that is not also within Lau Gar. ( Yes from experience )
and for your friend to say Lau Gar is **** just shows a lack of knowledge & respect.

yours
Colin...................

[This message was edited by Crawling Tiger on 09-30-01 at 08:34 AM.]

scotty1
10-01-2001, 05:04 PM
I didn't say Lau Gar was basic, I said it taught me my basic skills. Going to a 5 animals class nowI'm glad I was taught the basics in Lau Gar because they sure as hell chuck you in the deep end at the 5 animals class! If I hadn't done the Lau Gar first I'd be scrrewed.

prana
10-02-2001, 02:09 AM
EasyNow :)

I don't do Lau Gar so my words could be worth a negative amount.

But some thoughts....

1. Combine active and passive stretching.
Hold your kicks in position to encourage active stretch. Although, statistically men have a lower "passive" stretching ability, so this is important too.

2. Hold your stretch and don't bounce. This may go against some (Western) schools of thought. I am not sure, but when I learnt Wushu, we used to combine high kicks with sudden stretches by pulling down against the direction of the legs movement, so you decide for yourself what is best. I suspect this has some form of "Plyometric" effect combined with Proprio-neuroceptive facilitation.

3. Proprio Neuroceptive facilitation. When my Sports Scientist showed me this, I was amazed at how we can cheat our own body's defence :)

4. Breath easily :)

http://dharmatours.com/hbmc/Prwhbl1.gif

buddhistfist
10-04-2001, 02:07 AM
Lau Gar is the style of Gordon Liu (remeber Master Killer)and Lau Kar Leung(Fought with Jackie Chan on the train in Legend of the Drunken Master, Chan chased him all the way back to his house,he carried the yellow box.)Mantak Chia's Tao Yin video or a yoga class is best for flexibilty,no stretching routine will top this.