PDA

View Full Version : Buddha Fist (Tai Chi)

Empty_Cup
08-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Anybody have experience with this Tai Chi/Taiji form? I'm told this is Taoist Tai Chi and wondering if others out there also practice this form.

tattooedmonk
08-29-2012, 08:24 AM
I am ex SD /CSC!!:eek::p:D

sean_stonehart
08-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Why would a "Taoist" set be named "Buddha"? It makes more sense if it's name "Immortals" or the like.

Just saying...

tattooedmonk
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Why would a "Taoist" set be named "Buddha"? It makes more sense if it's name "Immortals" or the like.

Just saying...Right? I wasnt going to get into that until someone responded. you know this form too, right?

sean_stonehart
08-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Right? I wasnt going to get into that until someone responded. you know this form too, right?

Nope... seen it... that's it.

tattooedmonk
08-29-2012, 10:01 AM
can you retell the tale of how it was obtained in SD/ CSC? :p;):D

Empty_Cup
08-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Just saying...

I think any answer to that question will end up with speculation. I'm no historian.

Of course, maybe that's not the right translation. Here's the Chinese characters as I understand it. Anybody out there who can translate?

Lucas
08-29-2012, 12:43 PM

Just saying...

+

I am ex SD /CSC!!:eek::p:D
+

can you retell the tale of how it was obtained in SD/ CSC? :p;):D

= answer

:eek:

tattooedmonk
08-29-2012, 01:05 PM
If you look in the SD thread its there. I would like to let sean tell it because he told me a few years back. didnt surprise me.

Lucas
08-29-2012, 01:10 PM
If you look in the SD thread its there.

I'm pretty sure that trying to find specific info in that thread is a sanctioned form of international torture at this point.

tattooedmonk
08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that trying to find specific info in that thread is a sanctioned form of international torture at this point.exactly, its just so ridiculous.:cool:

tattooedmonk
08-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I think any answer to that question will end up with speculation. I'm no historian.

Of course, maybe that's not the right translation. Here's the Chinese characters as I understand it. Anybody out there who can translate? what source is this from? if you send me a better copy I have translator on my computer. i tried but the pic isnt clear enough to get reading.

It is a Buddhist Form of Tai Chi not Taoist, all others are "Taoist Arts" not sure about Chen Style...hmmm.

I have heard it also called Damo's / Bodhi dharma Tai Chi.

these are the Lyrics for Buddha Fist AKA.....Tai Ci Quan -Fo Jia Quan - Fo Han chuan or Tai Tse Chien

1. Giant Bird Spreads It’s Wings

2. Immortal Salutes the Buddha

3. Old Hermit Asks for Donation

4. Buddha Asks Heaven for Mercy (Prays to Heaven)

5. Preying Mantis Climbs the Pole

6. Turn the Body Smack the Lotus

7. Beautiful Lady Looks at the Moon

8. Catch the Moon, Kick and Ride the Cloud

9. Swallow Prays to Heaven

10. Preying Mantis stretches It’s Leg

11. Swallow Plays in the Water

12. Goddess of Mercy (Kuan Yin) Picks up the Mantis

13. Kuan Yin Releases (lets go of) the Mantis

14. White Monkey Salutes the Buddha

15. Buddha Stirs the Ocean

16. Buddha Subdues the Ocean

17. Swallow Smacks the Lotus

18. Swallow Flies into the Sky

19. Legs Fly (in or into) to the Edge of Heaven

20. Thousand Eyes of the Preying Mantis

21. Young Lad Salutes Kuan Yin

22. Wheeling Palm Hands, Single Whip

23. Inside Smash, Multiple Wheeling Palms

24. Immortal Monkey Sun Wu Kong Shrinks His Body

bodhi warrior
08-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I've seen this form performed by a guy from the indonesian school. He was amazing. The best performance of this form hands down. He was head and shoulders above anyone here in the states. But the video didn't give any background of the form itself. It would be interesting to hear.

Empty_Cup
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
what source is this from? if you send me a better copy I have translator on my computer. i tried but the pic isnt clear enough to get reading.

It is a Buddhist Form of Tai Chi not Taoist, all others are "Taoist Arts" not sure about Chen Style...hmmm.

these are the Lyrics for Buddha Fist AKA.....Tai Ci Quan -Fo Jia Quan - Fo Han chuan or Tai Tse Chien

Yes TTM this is the same information I've seen. Have you seen this form practiced outside of SD?

I've seen this form performed by a guy from the indonesian school. He was amazing. The best performance of this form hands down. He was head and shoulders above anyone here in the states. But the video didn't give any background of the form itself. It would be interesting to hear.

Did you see in person or a video? Which Indonesian school are you referring to? I'm also interested in external references to this form.

bodhi warrior
08-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Yes TTM this is the same information I've seen. Have you seen this form practiced outside of SD?

Did you see in person or a video? Which Indonesian school are you referring to? I'm also interested in external references to this form.

It was a video. It was from a trip sin the and his students took to Indonesia. From what I understand the guy was a student of one of sin's colleagues.

kungfujunky
08-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I have the notes and vid of myself performing it badly (done right after I learned it to preserve for practice).

I actually really enjoy this form and would love to know more of its origins as it has a very unique take on internal martial arts.

I know that USSD has a Buddha fist form but havent compared he 2.

xinyidizi
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Of course, maybe that's not the right translation. Here's the Chinese characters as I understand it. Anybody out there who can translate?

There is nothing about 太慈拳(taiciquan) on google except for a link to Shaolin do's curriculum but there is a lot about fojiaquan(佛家拳) and fohanquan(佛汉拳) . BTW what does is it have to do with tai chi/taijiquan(太极拳)?

sean_stonehart
08-30-2012, 05:06 AM
If you look in the SD thread its there. I would like to let sean tell it because he told me a few years back. didnt surprise me.

I did?? Hmm... ok. Don't doubt but definitely don't remember.

I suggest SEARCH FUNCTION fu.... :D

sean_stonehart
08-30-2012, 05:12 AM

I wouldn't read to much into it.

There are certain names in CMA that reappear everywhere... Buddha <insert body part>, Immortals <do something>, Lohan <something or another>, Black Tiger <does mean things>, etc....

So everybody gets in on it.

bawang
08-30-2012, 05:49 AM
what source is this from? if you send me a better copy I have translator on my computer. i tried but the pic isnt clear enough to get reading.

there are 3 or 4 generic moves, the rest are all made up.

CFT
08-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Of course, maybe that's not the right translation. Here's the Chinese characters as I understand it. Anybody out there who can translate?The Chinese characters are "Tai Ci quan" not Tai Chi Chuan / Taijiquan.

The "Tai" can be: extreme, big, large
The "Ci" can be: kind, benevolent, charitable

So it would chime with being from the Buddhist school, but has absolutely nothing to do with Taijiquan. Someone has ignorantly linked the two because they sound/transliterate the same.

xinyidizi
08-30-2012, 09:27 AM
One of these days people should start using taiji instead of tai chi. That chi has already caused too much confusion. A few days ago someone told me that tai chi means extreme chi energy. :confused:

tattooedmonk
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't read to much into it.

There are certain names in CMA that reappear everywhere... Buddha <insert body part>, Immortals <do something>, Lohan <something or another>, Black Tiger <does mean things>, etc....

So everybody gets in on it.yeah, the USSD Budddha fist form is nothing like it. and I mean nothing, definately karatefu.

Lucas
08-30-2012, 12:47 PM
One of these days people should start using taiji instead of tai chi. That chi has already caused too much confusion. A few days ago someone told me that tai chi means extreme chi energy. :confused:

sometimes i get tired of explaining what taijiquan means to people and that its actually a traditional form of brutal chinese martial arts. i still do it though because i cant stand ignorance. what i've found works fastest is just show them some external long fist then some chen style fajin up and close with the same technique and be like see, same thing. its about fighting. and then i slap the granola out of their mouth

Brule
08-30-2012, 01:32 PM
sometimes i get tired of explaining what taijiquan means to people and that its actually a traditional form of brutal chinese martial arts. i still do it though because i cant stand ignorance. what i've found works fastest is just show them some external long fist then some chen style fajin up and close with the same technique and be like see, same thing. its about fighting. and then i slap the granola out of their mouth

that's badass dude. :cool:

tattooedmonk
08-31-2012, 08:50 AM
I lost my actual notes for this Form about 15 years ago, mine were recreated. **** I wish I had those. Fu chia chien.

kungfujunky
09-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Fu Chia Chien Tai Che Chien

Ta Hung Chan Tse
Sien Yen Pai Fu
Lao Chan Chiu Huan
Fu Yen PaiTien

Mfi Yen Wan Ye
Chua Ye ten Yih

Tang Lang Ti Tju
Yen Tse Chao Sui

Pai Yen Pai Fu
Lao Fu Sang Hai

Yen Tse Pai Lien
Yen Tse Hue Tien

Tang Lang Chein Yen
Tung Tse Pai Kwang Yin

Li Tue Lien Huan Chang
Yen Sien Su Sen
Sou Se

I took out some lines but those are the notes.

Empty_Cup
09-03-2012, 11:30 AM

My understanding is that "tai chi" and "taiji" are equivalent but the former is the romanization in the Wades-Giles system vs. the latter being the romanization in the Pinyin system. If I'm wrong here please correct me.

Fu Chia Chien Tai Che Chien

Ta Hung Chan Tse
Sien Yen Pai Fu
Lao Chan Chiu Huan
Fu Yen PaiTien

Mfi Yen Wan Ye
Chua Ye ten Yih

Tang Lang Ti Tju
Yen Tse Chao Sui

Pai Yen Pai Fu
Lao Fu Sang Hai

Yen Tse Pai Lien
Yen Tse Hue Tien

Tang Lang Chein Yen
Tung Tse Pai Kwang Yin

Li Tue Lien Huan Chang
Yen Sien Su Sen
Sou Se

I took out some lines but those are the notes.

Thanks for posting...very cool.

xinyidizi
09-03-2012, 02:54 PM
My understanding is that "tai chi" and "taiji" are equivalent but the former is the romanization in the Wades-Giles system vs. the latter being the romanization in the Pinyin system. If I'm wrong here please correct me.

Thanks for posting...very cool.

Wade-Giles is a very bad and outdated romanization system because it represents different sounds with the same letters and also represents the same sound with different letters. Also many people don't use it correctly and ignore the apostrophes which causes a lot of confusion. So you should write "t'ai chi" because "tai" in wade-giles would be "dai".

Empty_Cup
09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Wade-Giles is a very bad and outdated romanization system because it represents different sounds with the same letters and also represents the same sound with different letters. Also many people don't use it correctly and ignore the apostrophes which causes a lot of confusion. So you should write "t'ai chi" because "tai" in wade-giles would be "dai".

Very helpful, thanks!

I'm trying to slowly but surely adopt Pinyin since Wade-Giles is outdated but some habits die hard :D

Then would it be "tai ji quan" or "t'ai ji quan?"

xinyidizi
09-03-2012, 04:13 PM
taijiquan and tàijíquán with the tones

OTD
09-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Fu Cha Chien is an internal form associated with Qi movement
through the eight immortal pathways. The movements should
coinside with the Qi and various pathways. Ie; Small Circle/Grand
Circle of Heaven (Up and Down Torso), Dai Mai (for turning),
Yang Qiao/ Yin Wei Mai (Up and Down Legs) and finally the
Yin/Yang Chaio of the Arms

Just my 2 cents

OTD

Empty_Cup
09-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Just my 2 cents

OTD

Interesting...thanks for your response!

tattooedmonk
09-14-2012, 03:52 AM

Just my 2 cents

OTDI agree with all of this... I may be wrong. one of the problems within the system is nothing is standardized or corrected. Just curious as to why....??I mean many of you old time dudes have had info for along time and yet didn't share it in anyway. Except to say that not the way we learned it. Some of which would show some legitimacy to the art. Just saying. People should nt have to look out side their school for the answers .

tattooedmonk
09-14-2012, 04:04 AM
How about having a class that teaches people what the micro and macro circulation channels are or the eight extra ordinary meridians or the yin yang channels of the legs and arms and how they pertain to the forms!? Or like self stimulating pressure point during certain moves to open the channels and or move / distribute chi/qi!? I remember when the form was first taught we only scratched the surface about all of this.... Then it was off to the next form.

OTD
09-14-2012, 09:06 AM
TTM
We have had such classes. But your teacher "must understand" what he/she is teaching. These classes are not just 2-4 hours long. They should take years.
Years of commitment to practice and Meditation. As you call the so-called "Old-Timers" Most would answer any questions asked of them.

Just my .02 cents

OTD

tattooedmonk
09-14-2012, 11:56 AM
It would be great if these things were focused on rather than more forms every month. . I have done extensive training in these areas before and since leaving CSCS/SD.

I have tried to talk to people that are within the system when I was in the system 15 years and now that I havent been in 7 years. Its close to impossible , maybe I was asking the wrong people. :D thanks for your two cents, do you want change? haha

Empty_Cup
09-14-2012, 12:07 PM
How about having a class that teaches people what the micro and macro circulation channels are or the eight extra ordinary meridians or the yin yang channels of the legs and arms and how they pertain to the forms!? Or like self stimulating pressure point during certain moves to open the channels and or move / distribute chi/qi!? I remember when the form was first taught we only scratched the surface about all of this.... Then it was off to the next form.

Our teacher covers this as well...

TTM
We have had such classes. But your teacher "must understand" what he/she is teaching. These classes are not just 2-4 hours long. They should take years.
Years of commitment to practice and Meditation. As you call the so-called "Old-Timers" Most would answer any questions asked of them.

Just my .02 cents

OTD

...and as OTD mentions it's been shared over years of coursework. So I can vouch this is still taught within the system currently at least here in Ohio.

tattooedmonk
09-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Our teacher covers this as well...

...and as OTD mentions it's been shared over years of coursework. So I can vouch this is still taught within the system currently at least here in Ohio. Exactly, east coast contingent.thats cool. I am happy that at least someone is getting the training they paid for. out in the west they have been clueless. I had to go outside my school to find answers. all of the east coast west coast bs screwed up the system good...i went to TCM school to learn about all this stuff. so much more to know. I woud like as much info about any of this SD stuff I have been doing for 22 years. ugh:D

OTD
09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I have had the form since 1974. On the 1992 trip to Bandung, the White Lotus
Society (Tjie Tong - GMS Colegue) club performed it for us. Very little difference
from what I was taught. BTW the trip was sponsered by the west coast group??
Therefore the East coast has not changed...............
Again just my .02 cents
OTD

bodhi warrior
09-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Society (Tjie Tong - GMS Colegue) club performed it for us. Very little difference
Again just my .02 cents
OTD

I had no idea this form was taught in the 70's.

tattooedmonk
09-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Again just my .02 cents
OTDno sir, you misunderstand. I meant the whole east/ west coast thing has really screwed up the system. meaning their is no continuity in the way its been passed down and the information has been limited . especially between east west factions. seeing as west coasters were not / are not allowed to associate with those of the east coast....

since 1974 ? awesome! I believe this came up once before in this thread.

anyway....its one of my favorites.

Also, when I meant change, I meant for the .02 cents.as a joke:D

Sh!t I should be paying you for sharing the information with me , thanks.

tattooedmonk
09-14-2012, 04:09 PM
thank you for correcting my misinformation sir. I really appreciate it!:D:cool:

And sharing more info !

bodhi warrior
09-15-2012, 06:02 PM
TTM& BW

It was not taught formally till later, Some forms were taught/shown or given as gifts. They were considered treasures and kept to themselves untill they were
taught out to the masses. I am not quite sure but I believe the attached is/could be the beginning of the form....I will have to "root" for my original notes.

OTD

Could you tell us what material was taught as gifts before being taught to the masses?

OTD
09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
From my perspective alone:
Green Dragon Bo T'ai Chi sword
Skewer the Sun Sword Seven Star Sword
Table Top Sword China Hands #1,2,3 & 4

Three White Cranes Pai Hur Chaun Su, Sip & Chuon Chou
These were originally given out under their Fujian dilect
Ie Pai Hur Chuan Chou was Pe'k Ho Ng'a Pla (not sure on the Spelling)
OTD

bodhi warrior
09-16-2012, 03:57 PM
From my perspective alone:
Green Dragon Bo T'ai Chi sword
Skewer the Sun Sword Seven Star Sword
Table Top Sword China Hands #1,2,3 & 4

Three Shaolin Birds Pai Hur Chaun Su, Sip & Chuon Chou
These were originally given out under their Fujian dilect
Ie Pai Hur Chuan Chou was Pe'k Ho Ng'a Pla (not sure on the Spelling)
OTD

You mean cranes?

OTD
09-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Yes Cranes, "White Cranes"
OTD

Judge Pen
10-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Just found this thread. It was very interesting to hear OTD say he had the form since the 70s as I assumed it was picked up duing th3 1992 trip to Bandung. (the cynic would say learned from the video). I really haven't found this form anywhere outside of SD and believe it to be a legitimate form and linked to our system through the collegue teachers in Indonesia; however, the history and lineage of the form has never been explained to me. Nice form though. Very nice if done correctly.

SenseiShellie
10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
I have the notes and vid of myself performing it badly (done right after I learned it to preserve for practice).

I actually really enjoy this form and would love to know more of its origins as it has a very unique take on internal martial arts.

That form is Law Horn Kuen. this is what it wants to be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fZ96Ds1WU&playnext=1&list=PL63D37FBC0E051FB7&feature=results_video