PDA

View Full Version : RIP Joe Lewis

doug maverick
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
we lost a great one today, but at least he is pain free now.

Scott R. Brown
08-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Hey, don't leave us hanging!

What is the story? I hadn't even heard he was sick!

Jimbo
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
He had brain cancer.

Scott R. Brown
08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Wow! That is horrible!

Poor guy! How did you know? I just did a Google search and didn't find a thing!

Dale Dugas
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Prayers have been said for him and his entire clan.

He was suffering from cancer and treated and then they found the cancer had metastasized.

RIP.

doug maverick
08-31-2012, 10:00 AM
he was in pain the last few weeks, so he has no pain now.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/180870_10150093824834125_1693909_n.jpg

GeneChing
08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I haven't found any web obits yet either, but the news is all over my facebook (http://www.facebook.com/gene.ching). I imagine there will be reports very soon.

I never crossed paths with Lewis in person. Anyone here ever meet him?

doug maverick
08-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Wow! That is horrible!

Poor guy! How did you know? I just did a Google search and didn't find a thing!

bill wallace, was talking about his brain cancer coming back...and alot of martial artist were sending their support to him, a month back..and today..those same people were sending out RIP. on facebook.

Fa Xing
08-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, if it's true, RIP.

doug maverick
08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Well, if it's true, RIP.

sorry to say fa xing...its true.

Featherstone
08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
that is disheartening news. RIP

Jimbo
08-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Joe Lewis was one of my idols growing up, and has remained one of the those I have continued to respect. May he RIP.

GeneChing
08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
From Chuck Norris's official blog (http://chucknorrisnews.blogspot.be/2012/08/our-friend-joe-lewis-will-be-missed.html):

Friday, August 31, 2012
Our friend Joe Lewis will be missed
Gena & I are saddened by the news that our good friend Joe Lewis passed away this morning. Joe is a true martial arts legend and one of the toughest men I ever fought. Our prayers go out to Joe's family, students & friends. We miss you already Joe.

God Bless, Chuck Norris

Lucas
08-31-2012, 12:19 PM
R.I.P. Joe.

http://rayscombatkickboxing.com/JoeLewisSideSt.jpg

doug maverick
08-31-2012, 07:24 PM
some ink from the examiner

http://www.examiner.com/article/martial-arts-legend-joe-lewis-passes-away

n 2011 Legendary Martial Arts fighter Joe Lewis had been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor which he had removed, but lost his final match on August 31 passing away at the age of 68.

Born in 1944, Lewis joined the Marines in 1962 and began his martial arts training while stationed in Okinawa under numerous masters and earning his black belt in just seven months. After returning to the US he trained privately with Bruce Lee, even being considered for the role that eventually went to Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon.
View slideshow: Joe Lewis

Lewis dominated the fight world through the 60’s and 70’s attaining titles of “United States Heavyweight Kickboxing Champion”, “World Heavyweight Karate Champion”, and “ United States National Black Belt Kata Champion”. During his time in the ring he faced off against some of the best fighters in the world including Chuck Norris, Allen Steen, Skipper Mullins, Bob Wall, J. Pat Burleson and many more. In 1983 Lewis was voted by promoters and fighters as the greatest fighter of all time ahead of both Chuck Norris and Bill Wallace.
Official Image
Official Image
Photo credit:
Joe Lewis

In addition to his titles and too many legendary fights, he took a turn in several martial arts films starring alongside people like Christopher Lee, Donald Pleasence, and Robin Shou just to name a few. His last role is in the upcoming film Kill ‘em All due out in 2012.

Joe Lewis was more than just an actor or fighter, he was a martial artist. He did numerous appearances and seminars that no doubt touched martial artists around the world. He has left more marks in the minds and souls of those that respected and looked up to him than he ever did on opponents in the ring. His passing has left a void in the martial arts world that will not soon be filled, but his spirit and love of the martial arts will live on in those that loved and respected him.

Speaking from experience, if you ever had the joy and honor to meet Lewis you no doubt walked away a better person, martial artist, or both. Lower your heads and bow to a passing master who will live on forever in the minds and hearts of the warriors that follow him and will miss him always.

Lee Chiang Po
09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I haven't found any web obits yet either, but the news is all over my facebook (http://www.facebook.com/gene.ching). I imagine there will be reports very soon.

I never crossed paths with Lewis in person. Anyone here ever meet him?

I believe it was in 1969 at a Karate Tournement in Dallas, Texas. He was heavy weight champion kick boxer at the time and beat a fellow into a coma that lasted 2 months. Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Louise Delgato, and a host of other common names amongst the martial arts world were there. I was introduced to Joe and most of the others, and was well recieved. That was 40 odd years ago. Joe cut quite a figure at the time. He was one huge muscle. As I remember, his opponent outweighed him by about 60 or 70 lbs, and Joe was at least 220 himself.

PalmStriker
09-02-2012, 09:54 AM
A friend of mine who knew Joe asked me if I wanted to meet Joe Lewis when I lived in Dallas in 1984. I didn't want to bother him so I declined. Quite the fighter, RIP.

sanjuro_ronin
09-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Joe was one of the original Bad Boys of sport karate, the guy could hit like a mule.
He was uncompromising and arrogant, like the great ones tend to be when they are younger.
A true legend on American MA.

David Jamieson
09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Not a bad story about Joe Lewis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4l9F_xs_eg
RIP

GeneChing
09-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Visitations tonight if anyone here is near Knightdale, N.C.

Martial arts community mourns loss of teacher (http://hamptonroads.com/2012/09/martial-arts-community-mourns-loss-teacher)
By Lee Tolliver
The Virginian-Pilot
September 7, 2012

It wasn't just the fists and feet that touched his students.

When Joe Lewis taught martial arts and kickboxing, it was his methods and devotion that left a mark.

"He would always give me... everybody... a hard time," said Chesapeake's Clark Walters, the current World Kickboxing Association's U.S. super middleweight champion. "He always said it was because he liked you.

"If he wasn't giving you a hard time about something, well..."

Lewis died last week after a battle with cancer. He was 68.

Visitations are from 7 to 9 tonight at L. Howard Poole Funeral Home in Knightdale, N.C., a few miles east of Raleigh. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Knightdale Baptist Cemetery.

Walters and several of his former South Hampton Roads students are making the trip to pay tribute to a man who helped frame who they are as martial artists.

"He helped change martial arts," Walters said. "He basically invented kickboxing.

"He came to Virginia all the time and taught quite a few of us."

Local black belts such as Craig Smith, Ed Robinson, Mike Davenport, Charles Bains, Michael Holcomb, Nelson Lebron, Doug Arcidino, Jim Monaco, Amanda Shiner and Travis Qualls all felt both the fury and care Lewis dished out during training sessions that sometimes lasted for hour after grueling hour.

Walters said they all took a little something from his style.

"Especially his side kicks," Walters said. "Everybody watched him and tried to emulate those kicks."

A native of Knightdale, Lewis was a Marine who served in Vietnam. After earning black belts in several disciplines, he was one of the few fighters allowed to train with Bruce Lee, taking Lee's Jeet Kune Do style and using it in karate tournaments.

Lewis had the distinction of winning the first Professional Karate Championships title in 1968. He won several other world titles the same year. In 1970, he won the first kickboxing bout with a three-round knockout of Ed Daniel at the USA Professional Open Karate Championships. It was the first time karate fighters had used boxing gloves in a full-contact bout.

Lewis won the first Professional Karate Association world heavyweight title in 1974, the same year he was named Black Belt Magazine's full-contact "Fighter of the Year" - a title that also earned him a spot in the magazine's Hall of Fame.

Lewis was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor in 2011.

"We around here owe a lot to Joe for teaching us his style and for teaching us humility," Walters said. "He was a very unique person, and I'm proud to say he was my friend and my teacher.

"I know everybody else feels the same way."

Lee Tolliver, 757-222-5844, lee.tolliver@pilotonline.com

kwaichang
09-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I fought back in 77 and thru 82 always dreamed of having a Flying Sidekick like Joe Lewis worked and worked on it , it never looked the same.
:( RIP Master Joe Lewis