PDA

View Full Version : Hook punch and roundhouse kick

YouKnowWho
08-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Assume the hook punch and roundhouse kick donot exist in your system. If you spar 15 rounds daily. After 1 years you will have 15 x 356 = 5,475 rounds of sparring experience. Will you be able to figure out hook punch and roundhose kick all by yourself (assume you can get those information from youtube)?

It may be hard to figure out how to do a "leg lift (Uchi Mata)" throw from sparring only. The hook punch and roundhouse kick should be much easier to develop from sparring.

Many years ago, I had a guy who had no MA training background. Within 8 months of regular sparring, he had developed jab, cross, hook, upper cut, front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick. That guy had no style. Sparring was his style.

I have always believed if you want to learn how to fight, just fight.

What's your thought on this?

HumbleWCGuy
09-01-2012, 12:10 AM
No, sparring is a horrible place to develop new skills. You will discover that you are deficient in skills. You cannot fully develop striking skills strictly from sparring. Just like with a throw, developing a good punch requires bringing your whole body comming together at a moment in time. It's not about swinging the arms.

Your story sounds interesting, but I doubt that it is the full story. Sparring will put a lot of pressure on you to improve, but you have to practice those skills at another time, outside of sparring. I have trained myself and others very hard and yes, you could compete in 6 months, but you are far from an expert.

HumbleWCGuy
09-01-2012, 12:20 AM
I think that you have grossly underestimated punching and kicking if you think that someone has mastered it in 8 months. If that were possible, anyone could turn pro with essentially not training or experience.

Bacon
09-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Maybe it's possible but you won't gain the same level of efficient movement and power generation as those who are mastering the technique through instruction.

Let's be honest at one point humans were early hominids who fought on instinct. Then we mfigured out what worked and started refining it. So yes, it is possible but assuming no outside knowledge is provided then it could possibly take several hundred/thousand years to reach the current point of instruction.

Sparring gives you experience in distance, timing, and tactics with the tools you have but inventing new tools and refining them takes time, ingenuity, and multiple generations.

xinyidizi
09-01-2012, 12:35 AM
What kind of hook punch? The kind that just hits somewhere and is a bit painful or the kind that is enough to break anything on its way and kill?

HumbleWCGuy
09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
What kind of hook punch? The kind that just hits somewhere and is a bit painful or the kind that is enough to break anything on its way and kill?
Exactly! Exactly!

-N-
09-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Many years ago, I had a guy who had no MA training background. Within 8 months of regular sparring, he had developed jab, cross, hook, upper cut, front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick. That guy had no style. Sparring was his style.

Did you coach and correct his mistakes and bad habits during the 8 months?

Or was there some kind of Darwinian Kung Fu process by which he evolved efficient effective techniques all by himself in response to your attacks?

bawang
09-01-2012, 06:44 AM

thats why kimbo slice is the best fighter in the entire world

taai gihk yahn
09-01-2012, 07:39 AM
hook punch and roundhouse kicks are "natural" movements; people who fight instinctively will do these without any education (just look at how little kids whale on each other; and probably this is why they are looked down upon as "primitive" upon many styles, because they are not "refined" or smthng like that);

this is why u need to spend more time practicing straight line strikes - they are not instinctive - u had to learn them as a technique from the get go

it's like when sumone pucks up a stick - they will swing before they poke;

that said, 'natural" movements can also be optimized in terms of mechanics and tactics via instruction; so while someone may b ok being left to their own devices, it's less probable that they will figure out the nuances on their own; of course, at one point in human evolution, there was only instinctive fighting, but as our capacity for abstraction and passing down of information inter-generationally evolved, this started to create an "edge" for those who had access to that sort of thing than those who did not (and this include arms / armor production / use, which was probably a big factor in terms of survival success)

in grappling, there r probably also sum techniques that r more "natural" than others; like an arm drag or basic bear hug body throw as opposed to more intricate maneuvers?...

MightyB
09-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Exactly.

A guy who fights regularly would mop the floor with a "trained martial artist" who's been training 15 years who doesn't spar.

YouKnowWho
09-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Did you coach and correct his mistakes and bad habits during the 8 months?
We met 4 times a week. When he came. we put gloves on and sparred for 2 hours. It was pure sparring with no instruction at all. No forms, no drills, no stances, even no stretching.

The funny thing was, my body felt pain every single day. 8 months later, the training terminated. My body no longer felt pain, I even felt uncomfortable without daily pain.

My conclusion is if one can treat pain as "normal" and no pain as "abnormal", he will have no problem in the TCMA training path. This is also why I have always believed that "sparring is fun".

-N-
09-01-2012, 01:22 PM
We met 4 times a week. When he came. we put gloves on and sparred for 2 hours. It was pure sparring with no instruction at all. No forms, no drills, no stances, even no stretching.

He had no fighting background at all?

Did you go easy on him so he could figure things out?

I would expect his flinch reaction to give him lots of problems in learning how to fight if you just went in for the kill.

YouKnowWho
09-01-2012, 01:54 PM
All he had was some street fight experience. He weight 230 lb while I only weight 178 lb back then. He fought very aggressively. When he charged in with full force, it gaves me a great chance to meet him head on. I like to cause a head on collision when my opponent attacks me. It's a great way to check my body structure to see whether I could stop my opponent's advance with my punch or kick, or my opponent's advance could push me back (that mean I had poor body structure). We tried to knock each other out in every session. There were no control at all.

In the beginner, it was easier to hit him. Week after week, his defense skill got better. That was the time he started to develop his offensive tools. He had copied a lot of my favor moves in that 8 months. If I hit him in one way, next time he would try to hit me the same way. Since it was a pure striker type of sparring (no grappling involved), I assume that was why it was easier for him to copy me. I don't expect he could pick up "leg lift (Uchi Mata)" just from sparring.

MightyB
09-01-2012, 03:11 PM
In the beginner, it was easier to hit him. Week after week, his defense skill got better. That was the time he started to develop his offensive tools. He had copied a lot of my favor moves in that 8 months. If I hit him in one way, next time he would try to hit me the same way. Since it was a pure striker type of sparring (no grappling involved), I assume that was why it was easier for him to copy me. I don't expect he could pick up "leg lift (Uchi Mata)" just from sparring.

My Sifu once said that the old warriors would fight all the time. Afterwords, they'd dissect the fight and build the forms from their favorite sequences that happened during the fight.

The forms didn't come first - they were the result of the fights. They were a way to preserve their favorite tricks.
-----
All good fighting is the accumulation of tricks. Everyone has their favorite tricks to use in a fight.

-N-
09-01-2012, 03:14 PM
In the beginner, it was easier to hit him. Week after week, his defense skill got better. That was the time he started to develop his offensive tools. He had copied a lot of my favor moves in that 8 months.

Well, that is still a type of teaching even if you are not explaining with words. Sometimes the best lesson is a bust in the chops. The nonverbal lessons are more effective when trying to teach someone to keep their hands up or their elbows down.

So did you consider him to have good structure and well developed skill level after 8 months?

Do you think someone could get to your teacher's level, for example, by doing just sparring?

-N-
09-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Can work, to a degree.

Works better if there's coaching in addition to the sparring.

That's mostly how I trained my nephews, and they did the best out of the various students.

-N-
09-01-2012, 03:25 PM
He fought very aggressively. When he charged in with full force, it gaves me a great chance to meet him head on.

How about when you initiated the attack? How did he respond?

Didn't you have a way to capitalize on his mistakes? Did he not make mistakes? Was he always stable, agile, and quick enough in reacting?

ginosifu
09-01-2012, 04:38 PM

No, completely wrong. If you want to fight witout taking the time to learn the intricasies of a given style then you might as well just forget about learning MA. Just become a bar roombrawler.... cuz that's all you are.

Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut, Front, Round, Side Heel etc are all basic techniqes of every style, even boxing (minus kicking). Once you have gotten these mastered then you move onto more complex techniques unique to the style you are learning.

Everyone MUST fight to improve skill. However, drilling unique skills, techniques from your given system, then implementing them into your sparring / fighting makes you a Martial Artist. David Ross told me once..... "Why learn complicated MA techniques when can just Round kick a guy in his thigh". Is this what we have evolved into? Barbaric clubbing a guy and calling it MA?

ginosifu

Bacon
09-01-2012, 06:33 PM
No, completely wrong. If you want to fight witout taking the time to learn the intricasies of a given style then you might as well just forget about learning MA. Just become a bar roombrawler.... cuz that's all you are.
Or they only want to learn technique to a point and supplement the rest with experience. I've met some brawlers who knew boxing basics and could probably whoop you. They just have no need to learn all the refinements when what they have works fine.

Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut, Front, Round, Side Heel etc are all basic techniqes of every style, even boxing (minus kicking). [/QUOTE]

No. Just....no.

Everyone MUST fight to improve skill. However, drilling unique skills, techniques from your given system, then implementing them into your sparring / fighting makes you a Martial Artist. David Ross told me once..... "Why learn complicated MA techniques when can just Round kick a guy in his thigh". Is this what we have evolved into? Barbaric clubbing a guy and calling it MA?[/QUOTE]

Barbarian and barbaric come from Latin. The Romans refered to the Anglos, Saxons, Picts, Celts, and Germanic peoples as Barbars which literally meant speakers of gibberish. They thought themselves far more advanced than these "primitives" and yet they lost most of their major altercations with them and badly I might add. Also unknown to the Romans ese groups had highly refined and organized societies. Barbaric is the wrong word to use.

Martial arts is brutality refined and improved in an attempt to achieve the greatest efficiency at destroying another human being. The rule of thumb is "if it works, do it." if you won all the time using only leg kicks then I'd say you're doing something right or your opponents are doing something wrong... But either way you've won against every opponent and that's the goal.

RWilson
09-01-2012, 08:34 PM

How many people have you killed with your hook punch? Stop making dumb comments. Boxers train their punches more than anyone and most do not die from deadly single punches or at all from years of getting punched.

RWilson
09-01-2012, 08:39 PM
hook punch and roundhouse kicks are "natural" movements; people who fight instinctively will do these without any education (just look at how little kids whale on each other; and probably this is why they are looked down upon as "primitive" upon many styles, because they are not "refined" or smthng like that);

this is why u need to spend more time practicing straight line strikes - they are not instinctive - u had to learn them as a technique from the get go

it's like when sumone pucks up a stick - they will swing before they poke;

that said, 'natural" movements can also be optimized in terms of mechanics and tactics via instruction; so while someone may b ok being left to their own devices, it's less probable that they will figure out the nuances on their own; of course, at one point in human evolution, there was only instinctive fighting, but as our capacity for abstraction and passing down of information inter-generationally evolved, this started to create an "edge" for those who had access to that sort of thing than those who did not (and this include arms / armor production / use, which was probably a big factor in terms of survival success)

in grappling, there r probably also sum techniques that r more "natural" than others; like an arm drag or basic bear hug body throw as opposed to more intricate maneuvers?...

Let me guess...you must have gained your knowledge from the powerful forms your teacher taught you and from all the great fighters of your lineage. Right. Ok. Anyone who puts Ross on a pedestal does not know what good fighting is and therefore cannot comment on it. I love hearing all those stories about Chan Tao San killing Japanese soldiers and the only video you have is of hi fat a$$ doing a lama form teaching you guys form. But you guys did tons of fighting...back in the day.

Gino, Ross made that comment because his flowery forms training failed him. He has not beaten anybody, won any throwing competition, won bjj comp, etc. His idea of refined movement was his teacher showing him a lama punch and then telling a story of how he used it while hunting Japanese soldiers and fighting other untrained Chinatown fighters.

Is that better ten tigers?

TenTigers
09-01-2012, 08:47 PM
doing a lama form ahold less and reaching you guys form.

um..wth does any of that mean...?

hskwarrior
09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Let me guess...you must have gained your knowledge from the powerful forms your teacher taught you and from all the great fighters of your lineage. Right. Ok. Anyone who puts Ross on a pedestal does not know what good fighting is and therefore cannot comment on it. I love hearing all those stories about Chan Tao San killing Japanese soldiers and the only video you have is of his fat a$$ doing a lama form ahold less and reaching you guys form.

dude are u always gonna BE THIS BITTER? why do u repeat urself so much?

RWilson
09-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Ykw, a person can become a good striking based fighter with the training from your original post. Grappling...no. If he just used straight up mma wrestling, which is very basic, he could probably become good at that. But if he was going to try go wrestling or bjj he would just gas and lose.

RWilson
09-01-2012, 09:00 PM
dude are u always gonna BE THIS BITTER? why do u repeat urself so much?

Why do you always follow me around? You do not post for days and then suddenly reappear after I post. I am not into tcma larpers unless they are female and wear tight pink shorts while "training".

hskwarrior
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Why do you always follow me around? You do not post for days and then suddenly reappear after I post. I am not into tcma larpers unless they are female and wear tight pink shorts while "training".

i'm your stalker. i plan to make big news by stalking you. :D

YouKnowWho
09-01-2012, 10:27 PM
So did you consider him to have good structure and well developed skill level after 8 months?

Do you think someone could get to your teacher's level, for example, by doing just sparring?

After 8 months, oneday he came back to me and said, "It works! It works!". He got into a bar fight. His opponent tried to hit him but could not even touch him. He had developed very good defense skill. His opponent felt so frustrated, sat down on the chair, and couldn't figure out what had just happened. IMO, the best way to develop your body structure is to use your body to deal with your opponent's body structure. There is no better way to develop body structure than to punch at your opponent when your opponent has forward momentum toward you.

Through sparring, you can only develop your timing, opportunity, angle. That's only the 50% of the combat requirement. The other 50% combat requirement are strength and balance that you can only develop outside of the sparring. Since I can't punch heavy bag for him and develop single leg balance for him, I won't know what the outcome will be in his Gong development.

How about when you initiated the attack? How did he respond?

Didn't you have a way to capitalize on his mistakes? Did he not make mistakes? Was he always stable, agile, and quick enough in reacting?
Let me talk about what kind of person he was (he was killed by car accident few years after our training session).

Oneday he had problem with cops. The cops used sticks to beat on him. He spit on the cop and made those cops mad, the cop knocked him out. When he was in jail, his jailmate asked him why he was stupid enough to spit on cops. He said, "When they used sticks to beat on me, it hurt like hell. If I spit on them, I could make them angry enough to knock me out. If I'm out, I won't feel any more pain."

Onetime someone threatened to kill him. Oneday when that guy went home. He put a gun at that guy's head and pulled the triggle. There were no bullet. He said, "Next time, there will be bullet". Instead of that guy tried to kill him. That guy started to run away from him after that.

When I sparred with him, he could take a lot of abused. The moment that I stoped my attack, he would attack back with everything he got. Pretty soon I got used to conserve my energy, and ready to face the thunder strom after my attack.

YouKnowWho
09-01-2012, 10:31 PM
drilling unique skills,
Anybody will be able to find out what work and what doesn't in sparring. For those moves that work, you can always drill it solo when partner is not available.

You have to develop skill from partner first. You then can use your solo drill to "polish" your skill. If you don't have that skill developed, your solo drill will be just "performance".

HumbleWCGuy
09-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Anybody will be able to find out what work and what doesn't in sparring. For those moves that work, you can always drill it solo when partner is not available.

You have to develop skill from partner first. You then can use your solo drill to "polish" your skill. If you don't have that skill developed, your solo drill will be just "performance".

Nobody is arguing that sparring isn't important. They are just calling bull **** on the notion that your guy just sparred and developed high-level technique without coaching and drilling.

I can pretty much see it. A guy with a few feints, bad footwork (lumbering), and hitting about half as hard as she should. I am sure that the defense was atrocious.

xinyidizi
09-01-2012, 10:36 PM

How do you know whether a move is useful or not before you learn it in solo practice(which means before you know the move :confused: )?

YouKnowWho
09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Grappling...no.

I don't think this method will work for grappling either. It's much harder to develop a hip throw than to develop a hook punch.

YouKnowWho
09-01-2012, 10:44 PM
just sparred and developed high-level technique.

Never said it's high level or low level. As long as you can float on top of water, that's good enough for somebody. Not everybody want to learn how to swim in a perfect free style. For someone, he just wants to learn how to fight. He may not care what style he trains or whether oneday he will becaome MA master or not.

YouKnowWho
09-01-2012, 10:51 PM
How do you know whether a move is useful or not before you learn it in solo practice(which means before you know the move :confused: )?
If I can use one move to hit my opponent 10 times, I know that move is useful. One of my wrestling partner liked to use his left leg to hook the outside of my left leg. He had never learned the "outer hooking" from partner drill or solo drill. He just found out from wrestling.

When I was young, I taught myself how to throw a knife without any instruction. I was good enough to hit a target 15 feet away. I do think knife throwing is much harder than a hook punch.

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Never said it's high level or low level. As long as you can float on top of water, that's good enough for somebody. Not everybody want to learn how to swim in a perfect free style. For someone, he just wants to learn how to fight. He may not care what style he trains or whether oneday he will becaome MA master or not.

I don't think that anyone would ever dispute that. I am a little confused about the original post then.

YouKnowWho
09-02-2012, 12:30 AM
I have said one can "develop" skills in sparring. I didn't say one can "master" skills in sparring. Again since the story ended soon after that training session, I won't know what will be the outcome if he is still alive today.

Do you agree that someone can fight pretty good in the street without any formal MA training? What will it take for a street fight?

1. Courage,
2. Strength,
3. Kung Fu.

Kung Fu is only placed at number 3 here.

xinyidizi
09-02-2012, 01:15 AM
I have said one can "develop" skills in sparring. I didn't say one can "master" skills in sparring. Again since the story ended soon after that training session, I won't know what will be the outcome if he is still alive today.

Do you agree that someone can fight pretty good in the street without any formal MA training? What will it take for a street fight?

1. Courage,
2. Strength,
3. Kung Fu.

Kung Fu is only placed at number 3 here.

There isn't much need for training if they just want to fight other untrained people but at least here those who fight on the streets in serious situations usually belong to local gangs and many of the successful ones have had some kind of training in military or gyms.

RWilson
09-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Nobody is arguing that sparring isn't important. They are just calling bull **** on the notion that your guy just sparred and developed high-level technique without coaching and drilling.

I can pretty much see it. A guy with a few feints, bad footwork (lumbering), and hitting about half as hard as she should. I am sure that the defense was atrocious.

Hos much of your "high level technique" have you actually pulled off? Video? Forget the video because the video will show you doing kickboxing with a tan Sao here and there. Wing chun sparring videos show one of two things: kickboxing with Antony wc flair to it and wc people getting their arses beat. Your technique is high level becauae you develop it against opponents who are not resisting you do you do not know if you can do it for real.

Phil Redmond has wc fIghting videos...but they are only 3 seconds long because they were edited to show the specific wc technique. If he had had the whole video we would see kickboxing.

Give some examples of high level techniques.

ginosifu
09-02-2012, 05:28 AM

You will only find out basic or natural movements that work for you. Anyone without MA training can do that. You can find any average person with No MA experience and give them some sparring gear and they will eventually get pretty good sparring with these basic movements.

There is no need to train in MA if you want to just get into the ring and throw some kicks and punches. I can get any thug to do that. And they can get pretty good at fighting. This is nothing than more than a brawler....

Gino, Ross made that comment because his flowery forms training failed him. He has not beaten anybody, won any throwing competition, won bjj comp, etc. His idea of refined movement was his teacher showing him a lama punch and then telling a story of how he used it while hunting Japanese soldiers and fighting other untrained Chinatown fighters.

RWilson: Chinese kung fu is much more than forms. Forms are just a part of Chinese culture. That does not mean that everyone prepfers forms over hardcore drills / fighting / Grappling etc etc.

Forms are a part of my curriculum, however they are just a small part of an overall system of MA. There is Flexibility / Agility training, Strength / Conditioning, Cardiovascular, Fighting drills, grappling, sparring, san shou, chin na, breathing practice, Iron Palm... etc etc I could go on and on..

Your mind is small.... you only jump to conclusions cuz of your limited experience with TCMA.

ginosifu

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Hos much of your "high level technique" have you actually pulled off? Video? Forget the video because the video will show you doing kickboxing with a tan Sao here and there. Wing chun sparring videos show one of two things: kickboxing with Antony wc flair to it and wc people getting their arses beat. Your technique is high level becauae you develop it against opponents who are not resisting you do you do not know if you can do it for real.

Phil Redmond has wc fIghting videos...but they are only 3 seconds long because they were edited to show the specific wc technique. If he had had the whole video we would see kickboxing.

Petty much all you see of WC comes from Ip Man lineages. Now I don't want to disparage all those guys, there are good fighters from all corners of the world, but a lot of those videos, I call playing WC.

I don't use WC like you would see in videos. I never have. I don't lumber around in stiff stances, throwing stiff blocks, throwing chain punches to call myself doing WC. In fact, my lineage does not do chain punches. My instructor would blow his stack. I have let my students play with it in the past, but it is sort of outside of my conception of WC.

When I talk about high-level fighting, I am talking about having refined defenses that uses slipping and shoulder movement , punches that are delivered on time with optimal leverage (punch with the body not the arm), decisive footwork, legitimate combinations of techniques, power kicking. WC is the basis for my clinch entries, some of my clinches moves, and counter fighting. I doubt that you would recognize anything that I would so as Wing Chun. Although, I have refined my skills by fighting, working with boxers, JKDers, grapplers and mma fighters, I can't claim that I have am anything, but a WC man. Other guys develop different ways, but my personal style probably most resembles MT because of my physical attributes, but other guys might look like BJ Penn and throw few kicks. I have always preferred to fight pretty square so I have never used a long lead or anything like that.

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Could you post us a video? You have lot's of snide comments on here about what real fighting should be. We would like to see what you are talking about. I am a big guy so my fight is to force guys to trade with me. I suspect that your game would be to do something different. However, what I expect so see is something just above throwing the playground windmill.

RWilson
09-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Petty much all you see of WC comes from Ip Man lineages. Now I don't want to disparage all those guys, there are good fighters from all corners of the world, but a lot of those videos, I call playing WC.

I don't use WC like you would see in videos. I never have. I don't lumber around in stiff stances, throwing stiff blocks, throwing chain punches to call myself doing WC. In fact, my lineage does not do chain punches. My instructor would blow his stack. I have let my students play with it in the past, but it is sort of outside of my conception of WC.

When I talk about high-level fighting, I am talking about having refined defenses that uses slipping and shoulder movement , punches that are delivered on time with optimal leverage (punch with the body not the arm), decisive footwork, legitimate combinations of techniques, power kicking. WC is the basis for my clinch entries, some of my clinches moves, and counter fighting. I doubt that you would recognize anything that I would so as Wing Chun. Although, I have refined my skills by fighting, working with boxers, JKDers, grapplers and mma fighters, I can't claim that I have am anything, but a WC man. Other guys develop different ways, but my personal style probably most resembles MT because of my physical attributes, but other guys might look like BJ Penn and throw few kicks. I have always preferred to fight pretty square so I have never used a long lead or anything like that.

You make fun of the ip man guys for having videos...and yet your style of wc has none...and somehow this makes you superior. What is your lineage of wc? Are you saying that a wc person should do all the forms, wimpy drills, chi sow, and then fight like a mt guy? Is that what you do? What is the point of studying a so called style if you are not going to mimick it at all? There is a trap in my words. The two conclusions to come to are either to fight looking like that style...or get rid of the stylized movements all together since you are training them and not using them. Just stop training them altogether and do MT full time. :)

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 07:24 AM
RWilson: Chinese kung fu is much more than forms. Forms are just a part of Chinese culture. That does not mean that everyone prepfers forms over hardcore drills / fighting / Grappling etc etc.

Forms are a part of my curriculum, however they are just a small part of an overall system of MA. There is Flexibility / Agility training, Strength / Conditioning, Cardiovascular, Fighting drills, grappling, sparring, san shou, chin na, breathing practice, Iron Palm... etc etc I could go on and on..

Your mind is small.... you only jump to conclusions cuz of your limited experience with TCMA.

ginosifu
You are wasting your breath on a familiar story. Here is a guy who has had five minutes of kung fu training and never fought or pushed himself due to fear of actual competition or getting hurt. Perhaps he has more, but I am sure that he larped his way through. Now he has found an MMA school that will work him hard and condition him which he is happy to do as long as there is no hard contact. They also fill his head with notions that he is somehow a fighter in spite of the fact that we can be assured that he has never fought or even engaged in a K.O. session at his gym.

RWilson
09-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Could you post us a video? You have lot's of snide comments on here about what real fighting should be. We would like to see what you are talking about. I am a big guy so my fight is to force guys to trade with me. I suspect that your game would be to do something different. However, what I expect so see is something just above throwing the playground windmill.

I look like a kickboxer when I strike. I am not claiming to do a better wc style that is different but still looks like mt. I do not have a style. Kickboxing is what fighting looks like so you might as well do it well like kickboxers.

RWilson
09-02-2012, 07:53 AM
You will only find out basic or natural movements that work for you. Anyone without MA training can do that. You can find any average person with No MA experience and give them some sparring gear and they will eventually get pretty good sparring with these basic movements.

There is no need to train in MA if you want to just get into the ring and throw some kicks and punches. I can get any thug to do that. And they can get pretty good at fighting. This is nothing than more than a brawler....

ginosifu

You missed my point. I was making fun of Ross and his lack of fighting skills even though he studied with a supposed killer of Japanese soldiers.

RWilson
09-02-2012, 07:58 AM
You are wasting your breath on a familiar story. Here is a guy who has had five minutes of kung fu training and never fought or pushed himself due to fear of actual competition or getting hurt. Perhaps he has more, but I am sure that he larped his way through. Now he has found an MMA school that will work him hard and condition him which he is happy to do as long as there is no hard contact. They also fill his head with notions that he is somehow a fighter in spite of the fact that we can be assured that he has never fought or even engaged in a K.O. session at his gym.

So if forms larping is not Kung foo than what is real kung foo training? What hard contact do you do while playing slappy hand chi Sao? You regularly engage in knockout sessions at your gym where people knock each other out? No video proof of course.

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 07:59 AM
I look like a kickboxer when I strike. I am not claiming to do a better wc style that is different but still looks like mt. I do not have a style. Kickboxing is what fighting looks like so you might as well do it well like kickboxers.
I think that you need to show us. You are pretty condemning of all Kung fu. Since you know better than the entire forum. Let us see it.

RWilson
09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
What city do you live in? Perhaps I could swing by for a demonstration of your tremendous kickboxing?

I practice a style that was meant to keep women and children away(wc). You would destroy me in mortal combat. You should change your name from humblewc to "thin skinned wc guy".

You mentioned that you are a big guy do anything would work for you including a fake style like wc. Can you apply it to guys your size? Beating on a smaller guy is easy which I suspect what you are doing.

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 08:16 AM
You mentioned that you are a big guy do anything would work for you including a fake style like wc. Can you apply it to guys your size? Beating on a smaller guy is easy which I suspect what you are doing.

I have competed a decent amount. The hallmark of competition is the fair match. I don't beat up middle weights and call myself a bad ass. In fact, I have never hit a guy, in a training, full-power who wasn't in my weight class.

RWilson
09-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I have competed a decent amount. The hallmark of competition is the fair match. I don't beat up middle weights and call myself a bad ass. In fact, I have never hit a guy, in a training, full-power who wasn't in my weight class.

Did they test for steroids in these competitions?

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Did they test for steroids in these competitions?
Dale? LOL are you back to posting again after being banned for the third or 4th time? Just lOL.

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Rwilsion is Dale Frank. Here he is against a WC fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PK8j_Y5Xs

HumbleWCGuy
09-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Rwilsion is Dale Frank. Here he is against a WC fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PK8j_Y5Xs

What I like about this video is he used a lop twice and threw a cross that would have put you down had it been hard.

RWilson
09-03-2012, 06:50 AM
What I like about this video is he used a lop twice and threw a cross that would have put you down had it been hard.

That guy is not a wc "fighter". He is a guy that practices wc and was doing light sparring with Dale. Only fighters are fighters. And only guys who do not use steroids are true warriors. :)