PDA

View Full Version : Does Aikido have chi like kungfu? Also what is CHI

don bohrer
11-02-2001, 03:39 AM
Just wondering if Aikido has CHI to it like what kungfu has? If so how does it differ?

My opinion of CHI is the energy your body produces while in motion. Yeah, I know its a quacks idea, but that's why I am asking the questions.

Kung Lek
11-02-2001, 03:50 AM
Anything that lives, has chi. Chi does not just belong to martial arts.

It is there whether you practice or not :)

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

DrunkenMonkey
11-02-2001, 06:37 AM
It depends if you do Acid or not.

"If I knew then what I know now, I would have killed him."

Scott R. Brown
11-02-2001, 06:58 AM
don bohrer,

Yes Aikido is based upon the movement and control of your own chi ("ki" in Japanese) and that of the opponent. It is an internal art. The literal translation of Aikido is, "the way of harmonizing ki".

Sincerely,
Scott

don bohrer
11-02-2001, 08:10 AM
I have been exposed very little to what CHI/KI is. I am currently training in American Kenpo and would like to add an internal art like Aikido. Would any of you care to share your difficulties about leaving your first art and moving into a second one?

Johnny Hot Shot
11-02-2001, 08:24 AM
You must empty your cup. Be humble, accept what is taught, keep what you know.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Mr. Nemo
11-02-2001, 08:54 AM
Chi is very powerful. Just the word alone can make people very angry, bitter, and unreasonable.

Yin Chuan
11-02-2001, 02:32 PM
I think discussing chi is like discussing religion because there are soooo many interpretations of what chi is.I have my own but it might not be yours or others same opininons.Some believe it can only be cultivated by practicing the internal arts but I have a different opinion because like Kung Lek said chi is in every living thing.

Kung Lek
11-02-2001, 06:31 PM
hahahahahahahahaha, Mr.Nemo, you are a funny guy :D

Don, you can cultivate Chi in yourself with a large array of practices. Simple Chi Kung exercises will give you what you want. You can learn many useful exercises through descriptives.

There are a number of books on the subject and plenty of videos available.
The simple act of exercise will come into play on your chi flow and your conciousness of it.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Ironpig
11-02-2001, 08:44 PM
Been too long since Chinese medical training..

But I remember the character for Chi was very telling as to its nature. The character is a pictogram of a fire with the smoke rising to the heavens. (earlier version of the character)

Chi/Qi is also equated with breath, gas, the "clear" essences.

If you want a real educated discourse on Chi/Qi you should look up any Nigel Weisman book you can find online or in a bookstore.

Thats two authors, Nigel and Weisman.

Chi as "vital energy" is a good generalization. Ki as "vital energy" is a good generalization.

The differences between Qi and Ki is more likely to be in how they are addressed culturally by Japanes and Chinese rather than in any real difference of what they are.

They are the same thing. But the Japanese medical models may treat an illness in regards to, say - Qi Deficiency, in a different manner than a Chinese medical practitioner would. (though, in reality there would be great similiarities)

In martial practice, you will see "vital energy" called different things for each culture and find that each will have different, yet similiar, methods of cultivating it.

There will be different schools on Chi/Qi even within an ethnic group. A Taoist may use methods seemingly alien to a buddhist to cutlivate martial Chi/Qi.

In Japanese arts, Breath training will most often be included in Ki development, yet sitting meditation and Tensho Kata are two very different methods to develope the same thing.

Yes, Aikido practices energy cultivation.

Chi/Ki can be cultivated whether a body is in physical motion or not. There are mental aspects of the training of cultivation that do not necessarily require any motion at all, in fact, some require stillness.

Hope Something made sense there.

Take care and good luck.

just a few pennies from a pig.....
-"bigger is BIGGER"

IronPig