PDA

View Full Version : Have a taste of my new workout...

Martial Joe
10-01-2001, 06:48 AM
Monday and Thursday- Shoulders and Legs
Front and Back Shoulder Military Press-Stand and push up, sets of 10-8-6 reps, going up 10-20 pounds each set.
Reverse curls-Stand and lift to under neck, sets of 10-8-6 reps, should be about same weight as military press, with 10-20 pound jumps
Shoulder shrugs-(Machine)- 3 sets of 15-12-10 going of one thing on the rack
Squats-Sets of 10-8-6 reps, most important is form, knees should never hurt too much, go up 20-40 pounds each set
Seated Leg extensions-(Machine)- Sets of 10-10 reps with each foot, then 10 reps with both feet, the last set should be about 20-30 pounds more than the first two
Laying Leg curls-(Machine)-Sets of 10-10-10 reps with both feet, same weight
Calf Raises-(Machine)- Sets of 20-15-10 reps, going up 20 pounds each set

Tuesday and Friday- Back and Biceps
Lat Pull Down Front and Back-(Machine)- Kneel or sit and pull down in front and back, sets of 10-8-6, again going up 10-20 pounds each set, should be same weight for each exercise
Seated Rows-(Machine)-Sit and pull in, sets of 10-8-6, should be about same weight as lat pull down, going up 10-20 pounds each set
Back hyperextensions-Just go back as far as you can, 3 sets of as much as you can do or 15-12-10, you can do it with weight after a little while, going up with a 10 then a 25 on the last two sets
Preacher (sitting bar) curls-Sets of 10-8-6, going up 10-20 pounds each set
Standing bar curls-Sets of 10-8-6, using the straight bar, at first just do straight bar and then work from there at 5-10 pounds each set
Standing Dumbbell curls-Sets of either 10-10-10 or 8-8-8, same weight throughout, when 10-10-10 gests easy go up a weight, when 8-8-8 gets easy go 10-10-10

Wednesday- Chest and Triceps
Bench Press-Sets of 10-8-6-4-2, going up about 10-20 pounds each set
Incline Bench Press-Sets of 10-8-6, going up 10-20 pounds each set
Flat Dumbbell Press-Sets of 10-10-10 or 8-8-8, same weight throughout, same idea as standing dumbbell curls
Nose breakers-Hold over your head and go back down past your head and bring back up, with your arms at 90 degrees, sets of 10-8-6, going up 10-20 pounds
Push down- (Machine) sets of 10-8-6, going up 10 pounds each set
Dips-3 sets of as many dips as you can

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

SevenStar
10-01-2001, 08:36 AM
I assume you're going more for muscular endurance and strength, right? It's not bad then. The number of sets you are doing for your chest is kind of excessive, but since you're only doing it once a week, maybe it will balance out. your bicep sets are borderline high also, IMO. If you're doing squats, you really don't need the leg extensions.

Where does your wing chun fit into this schedule?

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Lost_Disciple
10-01-2001, 08:42 AM
Would it have been too hard to stick this under The Workout Thread? ;)

I think I was 16 when I started, so I really can't get on you for starting young. You're probably still growing, so I'd keep an eye on going too heavy. Otherwise I agree with SevenStar.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Mr. Nemo
10-01-2001, 08:43 AM
When I lifted weights, I always felt like the machines were doing nothing for my real strength.

Also, I personally would lose all of that bicep stuff. That said, the routine you describe would take more dedication in the weight room than I ever had. Kudos to you if you stick with and get gains.

Xebsball
10-01-2001, 08:58 AM
Hey I'm thinking of losing weight, do you guys wanna make bets about how much can i lose in 20 days?

Right now i weight 275 pounds, i think i can reduce it to 260 or 255 maybe. I'll have to cut a piece of my sash then.

I'm tired of being overweight.
Why am i posting this at 4 a.m.?

-------------------------
I am the great grandmaster and Soke of RoShamBo south park style.
"I kick you in the nuts as hard as I can and then you kick me in the nuts as hard as you can."

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kick/downloads/videos/roshambo.htm

Ford Prefect
10-01-2001, 05:39 PM
Intense shoulder work 3 days/week and 2 days in a row may not be a good idea. I'd also through weighted pull-ups into the mix rather than lat pull downs.

SevenStar
10-01-2001, 09:47 PM
you would lose the bicep stuff because....

granted, you don't need them to throw a punch, but they are used in pulling motions, along with the shifting of the body. Besides that, they look good!

SevenStar
10-01-2001, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't make that bet, but I would make the following bets:

1. it's unsafe.
SAFELY, you should only be losing about 3 pounds per month. You are talking about a pound a day in order to get to 255.

2.It'll be temporary.
The first several pounds that you lose will be water weight, which will come right back to you.

3.In the long run, you'll be hurting yourself.
rapid weight loss = muscle loss
muscle loss = gaining weight = bad for you
when you lose weight that fast, you will lose the water weight, followed by fat and muscle...mainly muscle. Muscle is your best friend when it comes to fat loss, because, simply put, your body has to "work" in order to retain muscle. That work burns calories - moreso in the long run than aerobics. Aerobics will burn many calories DURING the workout and that burn stops about 45 min to an hour after the workout is over. The body must work round the clock to keep muscle mass, which means that muscle has your body burning calories 24/7.

Out of curiosity, why the rush to take it off? your best bet would be to be safe about it. give yourself a few months to get rid of it.

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 11:37 PM
You talk like you a big dude or something. It's October, when you coming?

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

ElPietro
10-01-2001, 11:47 PM
What sevenstar says about losing weight is true but false as well. It isn't healthy to lose more than approximately 2 pounds per week...although that is when you are not in a state of moderate to extreme obesity. You can achieve the goal you posted rather easily, and yes much of it will be water weight...but you will have to have quite a bit of patience...you will lose quite a bit initially if you make the appropriate changes but it will get harder and harder to shed pounds as you go along.

Oh and don't think you can just jump on a treadmill and the pounds will always fall...after your initial loss you will have to focus on eating properly or you will be wasting much of your effort.

That being said good luck to you...post less and lift more. No offense intended. ;)

SevenStar
10-02-2001, 02:23 AM
I agree there.

WaterDragon, I'll be up there Oct. 18-21 - I thought I posted it somewhere on the main forum, maybe it got closed or deleted when the mods put the board on lockdown. I'll try to be in hammond on the 20th. email me some directions bud. Maybe we can check out that master you posted about :)

SevenStar
10-02-2001, 03:29 AM
I've had a friend pass out and end up in the hospital from losing weight the wrong way. Sorry if ya thought I was bustin you balls, Xeb.

Mr. Nemo
10-02-2001, 04:55 AM
"you would lose the bicep stuff because...."

I wouldn't lose the pulling motions, just the stuff that isolates the biceps. The way I see it, train the biceps and the back at the same time.

Xebsball
10-02-2001, 05:38 AM
Ok... I'll take it slow.

Btw, there is something i never told anyone (ever, not even in "real" life)

When i was younger i got into a diet and lost almost 20 pounds in like 2 months.
The part i never mentioned before is that i felt my body a lot lighter... but my arms got strangely weak. When i think now, i was stupid, why didnt i tell the doctor?

I stoped the diet and a little later i gained a lot more than the 20 pounds i had lost.

-------------------------
I am the great grandmaster and Soke of RoShamBo south park style.
"I kick you in the nuts as hard as I can and then you kick me in the nuts as hard as you can."

http://www.kolumbus.fi/kick/downloads/videos/roshambo.htm

SevenStar
10-02-2001, 07:11 AM
"I stoped the diet and a little later i gained a lot more than the 20 pounds i had lost."

That happens a lot with fad and crash diets. The minute you stop them, you gain back what you lost plus more. Proper diet and exercise is the best way to go. A friend in my kung fu class lost 30 lbs in 4 months by doing nothing more than adjusting her diet and training in kung fu.

ElPietro
10-02-2001, 05:28 PM
Yes be careful with the word diet. When I use it I mean diet as in what you eat all the time...sort of like a life changing type of thing...not a temporary way to eat to lose a few pounds...you will only gain it back anyway. Your arms felt weak probably because you half-starved yourself and didn't have enough nutrients in your system.

Martial Joe
10-08-2001, 09:25 PM
SevenStar ~ Hey I forgot I posted this,well,I am back now to answer you.

I am also becoming a wrestler.
This is an all american wrestling workout made by an all american wrestler.
I have so much time in the day,I figured I would work out and train.
Besides...How long do the pro's train a day?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif

Gum Gong
10-09-2001, 10:49 AM
I went from 235 to 195 in 3 months and felf great.All I did was throw 2400 punches a night 10 pushups,15 headstand pushups, 30 situps,and some deep deep horse stances(3 min a night).I did this every day for 3 months,and ate peanutbutter and corn chips everyday for lunch and breakfast and no sugar.

Jon Moore

Martial Joe
10-10-2001, 03:43 AM
I guess everyone has there own way eh?

SevenStar
10-11-2001, 03:24 AM
It's not so much the duration, it's the number of sets you are doing. it will overtrain the muscles. Wrestling will be good for you. You'll learn some good stuff.

Martial Joe
10-19-2001, 06:04 PM
I am only doing three sets accept for the biceps...

Are you saying it is bad for me?