PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Wing Chun for other Chunners Only?

Yoshiyahu
09-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Do you train Wing Chun to fight other wing chun guys...or do you train your wing chun to fight street fighters?

What is your wing chun designed for?

EternalSpring
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
****, it would suck to train a system/style/etc that could only fight against other people that practiced the same thing

Eric_H
09-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Train against Choy Lei Fut style attacks if you get the chance. IMO a good long bridge guy is the most dangerous to a WC person.

As for WC only working on WC... that's just stupid.

JPinAZ
09-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Do you train Wing Chun to fight other wing chun guys...or do you train your wing chun to fight street fighters?

Those are the only 2 options we get for why we train?? Another stupid pointless question

Really? You've actually created a thread so you can ask what WC was designed for?? What a waste of bandwidth... Can't wait for your next thread where you ask how do we spell wing chun.. :rolleyes:

PalmStriker
09-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Snooze Alarm, set.

Lee Chiang Po
09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Train against Choy Lei Fut style attacks if you get the chance. IMO a good long bridge guy is the most dangerous to a WC person.

I look at it differently. I think that no matter the fighting style you do, unless the arms and legs are super long it really don't much matter. If you can hit me, you are close enough that I can then hit you back. The hardest person for a Chunner to fight would be another Chunner I think. Most other styles are not prepared for WC.
Chi Sao is so popular amongst the Wing Chun guys that it becomes the way they fight. So it does become a Wing Chun against Wing Chun style. It really does damage our ability to fight. If you were to just walk out on the street and start picking fights, you would most likely never come upon another Wing Chun fighter. You would forever be having to fight none Wing Chun fighters.
when you square off with someone, they will be prepared for your onslaught. So, you draw them out. You induce them to attack you. When they do so and if you can successfully divert their attack so that you can successfully counter attack, you do not trade punches and move back, but attack in such a manner that you drive into them relentlessly until you beat them down. Never show quarter. Using your gung fu is like using a gun. You can not just shoot someone a little bit. You gots to shoot him period. If you cannot beat a person down in 5 to 10 seconds you might just be in trouble.

HumbleWCGuy
09-07-2012, 07:39 PM
****, it would suck to train a system/style/etc that could only fight against other people that practiced the same thing

Some chunners do that though.

SAAMAG
09-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Some would argue that WC doesn't work against ANY fighters...well except non-trained ones.

Wayfaring
09-08-2012, 12:17 AM

I train Wing Chun to fight against nuns. Somebody has to get back at that woman for starting all these false rumors and wild stories.

Bacon
09-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Some would argue that WC doesn't work against ANY fighters...well except non-trained ones.

Unfortunately that is most of the wing chun community.

imperialtaichi
09-08-2012, 02:19 AM

WC does have long bridge techniques, plus pretty awesome kicks.

LoneTiger108
09-08-2012, 05:13 AM
I train and have always been taught to train Wing Chun for defense against anything.

I think that's a far more realistic goal than propogating the idea that we all should be fighting eachother or view other arts as our enemies. This is 2012 and once the trends of MMA and competitive fighting start to fade the people with genuine interest in the Martial Arts and Wing Chun will find other ways to satisfy their young fire!!

Get a life. Appreciate the peace Martial Art can bring the individual. And most of all, learn how to walk before you run :D

k gledhill
09-08-2012, 05:15 AM
I train Wing Chun to fight against nuns. Somebody has to get back at that woman for starting all these false rumors and wild stories.

:D thank you.lmao.

Yoshiyahu
09-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Glad this post aint derailed yet!

JPinAZ
09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
It derailed the moment you put it up...

Yoshiyahu
09-10-2012, 11:11 AM
It derailed the moment you put it up...

why do you even waste your time typing...you aint got nothing good to say!

JPinAZ
09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
why do you even waste your time typing...you aint got nothing good to say!

I have no problem giving my view on things, and do so when there is an actual topic about WC (even your other one on 'flow'). But really, this whole thread is a waste of time IMO.

And this isn't the first time you've asked this dumb question along the lined of 'what is wing chun designed for'. After your claimed 15+ years of training WC, if you still have to ask this question repeatedly, any answer I give would be wasted on you.

EternalSpring
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
But really, this whole thread is a waste of time IMO.

He does have a point here. Seriously asking Ving Tsunners if their Ving Tsun is to only fight other Ving Tsunners is like seriously asking martial artists "Does your martial arts suck?" and expecting people to just chime in like "oh yea, my training sucks a$$, totally ineffective and unrealistic, oh well, sigh." :o

that is to say, any person who knows they're training something in such a ridiculous manner would hopefully stop training there.

Yoshiyahu
09-11-2012, 01:47 PM
lol sorry you took it that way friend!

He does have a point here. Seriously asking Ving Tsunners if their Ving Tsun is to only fight other Ving Tsunners is like seriously asking martial artists "Does your martial arts suck?" and expecting people to just chime in like "oh yea, my training sucks a$$, totally ineffective and unrealistic, oh well, sigh." :o

that is to say, any person who knows they're training something in such a ridiculous manner would hopefully stop training there.

EternalSpring
09-11-2012, 03:14 PM
lol sorry you took it that way friend!

well, no need to apologize as I didn't find it offensive or anything. Out of curiosity, what other way could it have been taken, or to clarify, what kinda answers were you seeking/expecting?

Yoshiyahu
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
well, no need to apologize as I didn't find it offensive or anything. Out of curiosity, what other way could it have been taken, or to clarify, what kinda answers were you seeking/expecting?

this post was a failed attempt to get chunners to chime in on different venues of training an what sort of fighters they train against...

JPinAZ
09-12-2012, 02:35 PM
this post was a failed attempt to get chunners to chime in on different venues of training an what sort of fighters they train against...

A lot of your posts are failed. I'll give you an example of why I think this way to try to help ya: When you phrase your 'question' with only 2 pretty silly options options, Wing Chun or Steet, you've failed from the start. And then go on to ask a silly, wide open question like 'what is wing chun designed for', what do you expect to get for answers?
And then following it by not answering any questions asked of you doesn't help you any further..

It's cool you want to start discussions here, but it helps at least think a little before you blast the forum with 6 or more threads with no better reason than "hey, I'm going to save the Wing Chun forum by getting people to talk about anything, doesn't matter what".
Oh, and it doesn't help that you fully support stans clips as good examples of WC training :D

Or heck, maybe I'm just getting grouchy in my middle age ;)

wtxs
09-12-2012, 07:19 PM
A lot of your posts are failed. I'll give you an example of why I think this way to try to help ya: When you phrase your 'question' with only 2 pretty silly options options, Wing Chun or Steet, you've failed from the start. And then go on to ask a silly, wide open question like 'what is wing chun designed for', what do you expect to get for answers?
And then following it by not answering any questions asked of you doesn't help you any further..

It's cool you want to start discussions here, but it helps at least think a little before you blast the forum with 6 or more threads with no better reason than "hey, I'm going to save the Wing Chun forum by getting people to talk about anything, doesn't matter what".
Oh, and it doesn't help that you fully support stans clips as good examples of WC training :D

Or would you rather be young and stupid like you know who ... :D

SAAMAG
09-13-2012, 09:26 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8is3eNAg61rc2qizo1_500.gif

Yoshiyahu
09-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I would like to make some youtube clips with you sir...some chi sau. some drills and some sparring clips!

an post them in the forum!

JPinAZ
09-13-2012, 02:23 PM
I would like to make some youtube clips with you sir...some chi sau. some drills and some sparring clips!

an post them in the forum!

lol. The only reasons you would want to meet me is because you think you're some internet tough guy wanna-be, or you just want to prove publicly that you're as bad in your WC as stan and the rest of the gang..

Now, if you really have a hrd-on for further embarrasing yourself in front of the forum by coming to 'spar' me and posting it up, I'll be more than happy to help you with that ;) (I have no desire to do stupid drills or chi sau with a55clown mouth-boxers like yourself - I see no value in it)

But we all know this won't happen because you're not going to come to Phoenix to meet when you couldn't even afford the $10 matt fee after running your mouth to go and spar with Terence after he called you out - and he lives in your own city! :eek: And lord knows I'm not going to waste one minute of my time or money coming to see a clown like you.

** In the rediculous chance that you're actually serious, PM me instead of wasting bandwith and derailing further threads. Otherwise, you're better off just forgetting all of this idiotic internet challenge BS - it just makes you look dummer than your posts typically do.

Wayfaring
09-13-2012, 02:24 PM

It's a little short-sighted. I mean, most VTers will say that they are training VT for "the street", and "self-defense", yet in practice only spar with other VTers. Or not spar at all. Which is probably a lot worse than saying "yes, my VT is for other VTers only".

I mean, VT is one of the only places you'll see this phenomenon. I ask an Olympic wrestler whether he trains self-defense, and he'll say "no, I train for the sport of wrestling". If you press them, they will say "I think I could take down a lot of people in a self-defense scenario", but will be the first to admit all the other elements in a street confrontation including weapons, blindside attacks, etc.

EternalSpring
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
It's a little short-sighted. I mean, most VTers will say that they are training VT for "the street", and "self-defense", yet in practice only spar with other VTers. Or not spar at all. Which is probably a lot worse than saying "yes, my VT is for other VTers only".

Hm, yea I see your point, that last line is def true as well now that I look at it like that.

I mean, VT is one of the only places you'll see this phenomenon. I ask an Olympic wrestler whether he trains self-defense, and he'll say "no, I train for the sport of wrestling". If you press them, they will say "I think I could take down a lot of people in a self-defense scenario", but will be the first to admit all the other elements in a street confrontation including weapons, blindside attacks, etc.

Well, I think the one minor but significant difference between the self-deceiving VT'er and the Olympic Wrestler's situation is that the VT'er actually does learn something for street/nhb combat, but he/she simply doesn't train it like that. The wrestler has useful skills, but he knows what he learns is for a specific rule set that is far from street fighting, though of course many skills can be transferred over.

But do you really think VT is the only place/style that displays this type of attitude? I always thought it was more of a McDojo type of thing.

Yoshiyahu
09-17-2012, 01:23 PM
good post...great...i love it..

Wayfaring
09-18-2012, 08:25 AM
But do you really think VT is the only place/style that displays this type of attitude? I always thought it was more of a McDojo type of thing.

No VT isn't the only place. It's all over the place like a disease.

That's why we need to keep it real. ;)