PDA

View Full Version : Heavy bag

scotty1
10-01-2001, 11:24 AM
If anyone has any drills for heavy bag work that they've found to be really effective, POST 'EM.
Also, does anyone have a problem with their knuckles (the ones in the middle of your fingers) being grazed/bruised when you strike the bag, even though I'm striking mostly with the knuckles below them ie. the ones you SHOULD be hitting with. I think this is due to the shape of my hand, when I make a fist the finger knuckles poke out slightly. Sorry about the lack of medical terminology.

Lucky Red
10-01-2001, 01:14 PM
heavy bag drills i guess u could hit in combos
punch face knee in the stomach or ribs u have to find combos that fit u but starting with one two
than one two three four with different techniques and just working on them till u Know them i use my heavy bag to get used to hitting with full power

but i will give u one advice make sure u make it a habbit to hit properly with each blow meaning
dont do it so fast that u barerly touch it but let the bag really be hit after all thats what it is there for

there is a very good book out called kickboxing.......something the authors name was sugarfoot somthing sorry i didnt give u alot of advice there did i

True gold fears no fire

ShaolinTiger00
10-01-2001, 03:12 PM
Scotty.

A heavy bag is an excellent tool in training because it provides resistance and is quite firmer and more dense than any opponent you'll meet.

1. protect your knuckles and wrists. buy hand wraps (about $3.00 a pair) and learn to wrap your hands properly. This will give you wrists and knuckles extra support when punching the HB.

2. Buy a pair of bag gloves. ($15-30) they are essential for working out on the bag regularly. If you went 3 rounds with the bag bare knuckled, hitting as hard as you could - your hands would be hamburger! and you'd have to wait weeks until they healed for you to work out again. Wear gloves and wraps and you can work 5-12 rounds 3 times a week and still have undamaged hands.

as for drills. I posted about good combos in "focus mitts" a few weeks ago.

Some books I own and reference:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0028631757/qid=1002028049/br=1-7/ref=br_lf_b_7/103-1756777-5182230

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1884654096/qid=1002028049/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_b_4/103-1756777-5182230

Best of Luck!!