PDA

View Full Version : New Shi De Yang DVD ?

Xian
09-13-2012, 05:17 PM
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDM2MjY1MDYw.html

If so, that looks nice..

Best regards,
Xian

LFJ
09-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Not new. It is a clip from the special features that are on various forms DVDs. The DVDs are just teaching the regular forms, same as the old ones, but with much better production. They also come with a book.

Xian
09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Not new. It is a clip from the special features that are on various forms DVDs. The DVDs are just teaching the regular forms, same as the old ones, but with much better production. They also come with a book.

Thanks I thought it might be new as I didnt found it on plumpup or ebay.

Best regards,
Xian

LFJ
09-17-2012, 09:59 PM
They are relatively new I guess, produced by Chengdu Times Publishing House a couple years ago, in 2010 or so. They are sold in book stores in China, and on Chinese websites. He showed me a couple and said he was making them because he's not teaching personally anymore, except for seminars abroad from time to time. So if people want to learn, there it is...

They are books with DVD inserts. The books and DVDs both show jibengong like stances, kicking, hand shapes, etc., and then the main form in detail, but the book has more cultural information as well. Applications are not shown. It's just a reteaching of the old videos with (much) better production.

The DVD's have English subtitle options, but the books are only in Chinese. So you'll be missing the cultural and historical information there if you don't read Chinese.

There is one on Shaolin Mizongquan (迷踪- Lost-track) and one on Shaolin Mizong Dianxue Shengong (密宗- Secret Sect).

LFJ
09-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Wouldn't that be something... It's really more for people who just want to learn the art for physical and mental health training. Details don't matter. So they are pretty much the same as the older series, just with much better production, and the accompanying book of information.

There are several international schools he has been working with and has kind of passed the torch to them. So if one really wants to learn the legit student versions with applications, there are still people to learn them from.

The only video I remember showing the full set in detail was Dahongquan, but his older video series pretty much showed the real set as well, as far as I recall. That was his specialty. The places where he glosses over movements when performing the set are broken down in the instruction part, but he did that in the older series as well.

There were some in the old series that weren't too badly watered down, but others like Xiaohongquan were stripped bare.

Xian
09-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Did anybody found it on a english website ?

Best regards,
Xian

Xian
10-02-2012, 12:30 AM
@LFJ

Not the MiZong Quan one, but another interesting one, here's the TaiZu Chang Quan DVD of this series:
Shao Lin Tai Zu Chang Quan (DVD + Book) (yesasia.com) (http://www.yesasia.com/us/shao-lin-tai-zu-chang-quan-dvd-book-china-version/1031005760-0-0-0-en/info.html)

So did I understand you correctly that it is bascially the same material with some added new material on it ? Or is everything refilmed, also with a new performer doing the form ?

Because for example I have his old Taizu Chang Quan one and I was really not satisfied by the performance of the form.

Best regards,
Xian

LFJ
10-02-2012, 04:12 AM
This one just came out but they should all follow the same format. They begin by covering the basics of Shaolin stances, hand shapes, kicking methods, etc.. This is all shown the same in each book as well. Then the individual set is taught and performed by Shi Deyang himself with no other people. He might mention an application "idea" or two as he explains the set, but doesn't demonstrate them.

So in that sense it's the same as the older series, but the film is great DVD quality and pretty closeup. I haven't seen them all to know if the sets are altered in a different way than the older series. I know last year he went to visit Liang Yiquan to "brush up" on his Taizu Changquan, since he's the current master of this set. But I'm not sure how he might present the sets this time. I'm sure they will be "marked" in some way, as usual.

Xian
10-02-2012, 02:04 PM
This one just came out but they should all follow the same format. They begin by covering the basics of Shaolin stances, hand shapes, kicking methods, etc.. This is all shown the same in each book as well. Then the individual set is taught and performed by Shi Deyang himself with no other people. He might mention an application "idea" or two as he explains the set, but doesn't demonstrate them.

That sounds good. The last Taizu Chang Quan DVD was not demonstrated by him. As you might know De Yang gave a few historical explanations and that was it. The performer was someone who had trained alot but he didnt want or he didnt could perform it like it should. But maybe I compare to much with the short glimpse you can see of Shi Heng Juns Taizu Chang Quan. Would love to see a full demonstration of him doing this set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7dwQswHW8&feature=plcp

So in that sense it's the same as the older series, but the film is great DVD quality and pretty closeup. I haven't seen them all to know if the sets are altered in a different way than the older series. I know last year he went to visit Liang Yiquan to "brush up" on his Taizu Changquan, since he's the current master of this set. But I'm not sure how he might present the sets this time. I'm sure they will be "marked" in some way, as usual.

Thats goes fine for me. Even I was not the best student, I had a few good teachers who did a great job, so I still think I will make something of it, till I am able to find someone to teach me the real stuff. Here in Germany I know a student of Liu Baoshans school. But he does not teach Taizu Chang Quan or Renshou Tong Bi Quan, which are two arts where I am reallly interested in, so I have to wait little. And he lifes somewhat 8 hours away from me :P

Best regards,
Xian

LFJ
10-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Taizu Changquan is great. It became one of my specialty sets along with Xiaoluohanquan.

Here is Shi Deyang performing Taizu Changquan at a seminar in Uruguay last year, done kind of slowly for demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJFeJZxJjg

Xian
10-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Taizu Changquan is great. It became one of my specialty sets along with Xiaoluohanquan.

Here is Shi Deyang performing Taizu Changquan at a seminar in Uruguay last year, done kind of slowly for demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJFeJZxJjg

Xian
10-15-2012, 06:20 AM
demonstration video: 少林小罗汉拳 (Shaolin Xiao Luohan quan [by Shi De Yang]) (youku.com) (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDUxNTM5NTYw.html)

pictorial demonstration from the accompanying book: http://www.qqgfw.com/KungfuArticleList2.aspx?KungfuArticleID=4665

the link to buy it in Amazon.cn: http://www.amazon.cn/少林小罗汉拳/dp/B005FODGXO

one can find the materials of other titles by searching their Chinese names.

Nice find,thanks :-)

Hanak
10-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Are the dvd's not just to show the form?

Can you really learn it from a DVD?
Details are not important in the first step of learning.
But a monk said once that it thake 8 years to know and understand your form.

So learning from a DVD is not something for me!

I have some De Yang Dvd's, also with those books included and yeah not only in chinese but those books are in eng to. "some of them".

But after a few years I just collect them to see the form from a real master.

Each teacher show's he's form different anyway, so what use is it to learn it from the dvd. If you go to your school the form will have different moves, but all basic stance ect stay's offcourse.

Hanak
10-16-2012, 10:49 AM
If somebody wants to learn Shaolin kung fu it has some requirements. Those western "TEACHERS" I don't believe to know something useful of traditional wushu:

if you want to develop martial power, OK, its manual has been published by reverend monk Miao Xing; do those teachers know anything of these methods? no for sure, very rarely;

to train Qigong? OK! its manual has been published by Yang Jwing Ming; do those teachers even know what Qi is? absolutely NO!

to learn the forms and techniques? OK! what you can learn from those DVDs (together with the information that can be found in the internet about those techniques and styles, like the discussions of this forum) is for sure much more original and reliable than what those teachers have learned.

what about the philosophy and historical facts? OK, internet is the best to learn from. everybody is sure that most those myths about kung fu said by non-Chinese and even many Chinese teachers are nothing more than some schizophrenic ideas!

of course those schools are in some aspects useful. because one may cannot have access to a "real" teacher or to sufficient resources to do what must be done. (I also add that even the Shaolin monks who are well-known for us also have not been taught in true Shaolin training regimes, for example, for sure, most of them cannot show you an objective demonstration of their internal energy Qi!!!! which is something fundamental for a true Shaolin practitioner. and as another example, most of them have not trained the methods of improving martial power, but only form and form and form...) there are REAL masters, of course all over China and sometimes in other countries. but to distinguish whether someone is a REAL teacher itself needs at least a few years of study in a fierce manner! and albeit, with or without master, that monk had been right about needing at least 8 years to master a form, though it would be really more than 10 years! again I say I'm a beginner, not a skilled practitioner. may other users correct me if I'm wrong. thanks.

Well in some way you are right, but in some way you type it n some wrong way i gues.

Lett me explain what I mean.

You tell if I understand it right, some people only learn form form form form.
And notting about Qi or Chan or the complete shaolin system.

Because Shaolin Kung Fu is more then just FORMS!

But you say western teachers are lower level then Shaolin Monks itself.
But the point here is, as a beginner you have to start somewhere.

And search the path what is best for you.
Some western person who study in shaolin a few years, who also live there.
Said once try to get more info from various teachers and not only 1.

The point what i like to tell is, everyone have to find there own way.

For some students its perfect with a western teacher and only forms forms forms.
For others, they like more and deeply.

Who is wrong and who is right? :)

LFJ
10-16-2012, 11:42 PM
demonstration video: 少林小罗汉拳 (Shaolin Xiao Luohan quan [by Shi De Yang]) (youku.com) (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDUxNTM5NTYw.html)

pictorial demonstration from the accompanying book: http://www.qqgfw.com/KungfuArticleList2.aspx?KungfuArticleID=4665

This performance is even stronger than the older series! But it is the same, almost legit, with only a few parts that are different. Some just minor details. This is one set I worked very hard on in great detail a couple years ago when I was told to pick two sets to "specialize" in.

As in the older series, the second posture, "Purple Swallows Pairing in Flight" 紫燕双飞, is done with a jump into pubu, which you should not do because it is completely useless in this technique and takes away all the power in the movement.

If you can read Chinese, the book explains the correct way to do this movement. You turn your body to the right and lift the hands over your head with your chest up, and raise your right knee high. Then stomp down with the right foot, and simultaneously shoot your left leg out into pubu and quickly pull the hands down and back into the final position.

This should be done blindingly fast. From the first posture, as soon as your hands hit bottom in the cross position they should shoot up as you turn right. Raising the right knee and stomping, shouldn't be done slowly, with a pause at the top, but just in a split second. Lift and stomp. Then shoot out to the final position in pubu. The palms should be open, as shown here. I think in the older series he did it with fists.

The second movement that is different is turning around after the drunken arhat steps into gongbu and left punch, "Drawing the Bow and Shooting the Arrow" 拉弓射箭. Again, just turning around straight into gongbu takes away the power in the movement. You should quickly unwind your stance first into mabu with arms crossed, then forcefully pop the hips into gongbu as you punch. This sharp turn in the hips is where the power comes from. You can't just turn around into gongbu and punch or there's no power.

Right after this, instead of hopping up and lightly stepping back into xiebu, the right foot should stomp back onto the line the set runs. The rest of the movement is the same. It just needs more power. It's kind of flowery done that way.

Then following the two pubu switches, coming up into the right leg kick you should "brush off" the legs with both hands. This is a small but important detail left out. First as you come up the right hand brushes off the outside of the right thigh, then the left hand on the left thigh as you lift it for the jump.

Also, on the xiebu with a chop, such as at the beginning and after the chuaitui part, the arm shouldn't go straight, but maintain a curve so the palm is held parallel to the ground at about waist level.

The rest is pretty much the same overall.

JamesC
10-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Why is it that shi de yang waters the forms down for video? Does he have a lot of people claiming to be his students that are learning from the videos?

LFJ
10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Why is it that shi de yang waters the forms down for video? Does he have a lot of people claiming to be his students that are learning from the videos?

Everyone does it. It's not just in Shaolin either. It seems to be a Chinese thing, that you don't put the full knowledge on film, especially applications. Hence the ridiculous application videos, which would have been better left undone.

The famous Wing Chun master Wong Shun Leung, also made one instructional video but made 8 deliberate mistakes in the film, and was also protective over his seminar footage which was guarded by close students who were there, but it has somehow leaked.

I heard from Shi Xingsen, who did many of the videos in Liu Zhenhai's series, that the videos are just for people who want to learn something fast. More serious learners will read the books which include a lot more detail than the videos.

But yes, also, you wouldn't believe the number and type of crazy folks around the world who claim some sort of discipleship or something under Shi Deyang and others, after only meeting once, or maybe not even at all.

There was once a man who told Shi Deyang directly that he was the original disciple of Shi Suxi and was glad that Shi Deyang came to Shaolin because they are brothers now... But then he went back to his country with many pictures and videos of them together, claiming he was now Shi Deyang's disciple. :rolleyes:

Hanak
10-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Everyone does it. It's not just in Shaolin either. It seems to be a Chinese thing, that you don't put the full knowledge on film, especially applications. Hence the ridiculous application videos, which would have been better left undone.

The famous Wing Chun master Wong Shun Leung, also made one instructional video but made 8 deliberate mistakes in the film, and was also protective over his seminar footage which was guarded by close students who were there, but it has somehow leaked.

I heard from Shi Xingsen, who did many of the videos in Liu Zhenhai's series, that the videos are just for people who want to learn something fast. More serious learners will read the books which include a lot more detail than the videos.

But yes, also, you wouldn't believe the number and type of crazy folks around the world who claim some sort of discipleship or something under Shi Deyang and others, after only meeting once, or maybe not even at all.

There was once a man who told Shi Deyang directly that he was the original disciple of Shi Suxi and was glad that Shi Deyang came to Shaolin because they are brothers now... But then he went back to his country with many pictures and videos of them together, claiming he was now Shi Deyang's disciple. :rolleyes:

For me all those video's are simple interesting stuff to watch.
Normally I just collect video's from forms I know, and not only from Deyang but if possible from others to!

Why I buy them simple, if I forget something I can check it fast there and remember it again.

But at all, in some way its very funny people telling i'm student of ...... without even been there. lol

Xian
11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Just got my Taizu DVD this morning and it looks great. There is basically no DVD suitcase just the book with the DVD in a small paper inside, but thats fine for me.
The book is a reall book only in Chinese (I still didnt learned..) , but it seems to describe the form very detailed everything with high quality pictures and some text beside it.

Also the DVD is very high quality. You see the form complete,then broken down to teach it. I think its a lot more detailed then every DVD I ever saw from him. You also see some applications of the form and yeah, that is my first impression. If to get some time to get a closer look at the DVD.

But my current opinion is that is was very worth watching and I would love to have more of these DVDs.

Best regards,
Xian

LFJ
11-19-2012, 08:58 PM
The book is a reall book only in Chinese (I still didnt learned..) , but it seems to describe the form very detailed everything with high quality pictures and some text beside it.

Books always seem to be more detailed than videos, ironically.

I wonder how this new one compares to the old version, or to his seminar demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJFeJZxJjg

Xian
11-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Books always seem to be more detailed than videos, ironically.

I wonder how this new one compares to the old version, or to his seminar demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJFeJZxJjg

Lets compare. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiOw-fe2ec&list=UUmR0ShS4iz7OW4XVdZr5abQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Best regards,
Xian

LFJ
11-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Great. Thanks! It looks pretty much like the version he did at the seminar above. Although, in that video, there are a couple steps missing right after the first posture. It's all there in the DVD though.

Overall, this version is pretty close to how it's done at the school. Just his rhythm gives it a different feel. But I'm still not sure where the lihetui came from, and the mabu that follows is usually a horizontal arm in the front and rear. He has them both vertically, like an uppercut.

Xian
11-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Great. Thanks! It looks pretty much like the version he did at the seminar above. Although, in that video, there are a couple steps missing right after the first posture. It's all there in the DVD though.

Overall, this version is pretty close to how it's done at the school. Just his rhythm gives it a different feel. But I'm still not sure where the lihetui came from, and the mabu that follows is usually a horizontal arm in the front and rear. He has them both vertically, like an uppercut.

Maybe these are the usual changes to mark them. I like this DVD. About fourty minutes for the form and about 30 for applications. And thats pretty nice. I guess they are still not on their full level on how to really use them but they are hell better then those on his Da Hong Quan Yi Lu video with the long application section.

Best regards,
Xian

LFJ
11-27-2012, 06:32 AM
The "Actual Combat" series. Yeah, that must have been some sort of joke. :p

The Dahongquan of this new Book+DVD series doesn't have any applications shown. Only a few are mentioned. So it appears only select installments have apps. But they are overall stronger than any previous series.

Xian
07-17-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaORDveZJ78&feature=youtu.be

Ive also found the full DVD. I have send it to SHemmati, I guess he will upload it on his channel.

Best regards,
Xian

SHemmati
07-21-2013, 12:26 PM
This performance is even stronger than the older series! But it is the same, almost legit, with only a few parts that are different. Some just minor details...
so, the movement after striding tiger in xuebu and before turning kick and push palm, in which Deyang hops forward and joins the fists in front of the chest (known as 'double air pierce ears') is the legit way he really teaches it? most others do this with lifting the kicking leg and thrusting pincer-like double punches, so i thought he might have borrowed this movement from Pao quan to mark this form.

LFJ
07-21-2013, 08:08 PM
That's the way it's done. Our version is different from the most common one. It travels more with greater movements such as this and the xuanfengjiao. Others seem to keep more stationary, just changing sides in the same space, or even moving backward a lot. Our whole first line keeps advancing forward.

SHemmati
08-30-2013, 12:20 PM
thanks to Xian,

Deyang's new Mi Zong quan DVD, compare it with his older one:

Shaolin Mi Zong quan, 1lu (new performance): (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM8_MXFvc6I&list=SP8F75C68BF1246C2B) a wonderful performance of the form at 30:55
Shaolin Mi Zong quan, 1lu (older performance): (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ehQ_9jSQ0&list=SP8F75C68BF1246C2B) a sloppy performance at 5:20

differences:

at 31:20 of the new DVD he uses fists, the older one uses palms;
also at 31:24;
at 31:38 uses open hand, the older uses fists;
at 31:47 he lifts one leg and attacks with the claws then turns back and uses claws again, while in the older one he just shrinks to T-stance;
at 32:10 he spreads hands to mabu stance, while in the older one he strikes back with the right elbow before this spreading hands in mabu.

how are these compared to the legit version, LFJ?

LFJ
09-01-2013, 06:19 AM
differences:

at 31:20 of the new DVD he uses fists, the older one uses palms;
also at 31:24;
at 31:38 uses open hand, the older uses fists;
at 31:47 he lifts one leg and attacks with the claws then turns back and uses claws again, while in the older one he just shrinks to T-stance;
at 32:10 he spreads hands to mabu stance, while in the older one he strikes back with the right elbow before this spreading hands in mabu.

how are these compared to the legit version, LFJ?

Fists vs palms don't really make a big difference, but I learned each of the above as open hands because they are snake techniques.

He did the same sequence twice when it should have been two different sequences, as in the old video. Probably just messed up there, but will teach it properly in the breakdown. I haven't actually watched the whole thing.

The extra elbow strike seems to be just thrown in. I never noticed that before.

Some competition footage from students at the school:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI0MTc4NTQ0.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI0ODU4MzAw.html

LFJ
09-01-2013, 06:23 AM
and, this is another title of this new series:

少林密宗点穴神功 (shaolin mi zong dian xue shen gong: Shaolin Tantra Dian Xue mysterious skill): (is the translation correct?)

Mysterious Skills of Shaolin Esoteric Dianxue

Shengong can also mean "remarkable feats". Whatever you prefer.
Mizong can refer to Tantra, but in this case it just means "esoteric".