PDA

View Full Version : weights training for my younger brother

ged
10-04-2001, 02:12 AM
hey everyone.

ok, my brother alex is 12. he wants to do weights, because he sees me doing them. ive given him a few goes on the benchpress, but im not sure how productive this will be before he hits puberty?

so i have a few questions.

1) when he hits puberty in a few years, should he do weights, or maybe pushups and situps? what about before then?

2) what kind of foods should i get him on? when i was young, i ate heats of junk food. i had a good metabolism or something, so i didnt get fat, but i had pretty much zero muscle. alex has a different bodytype, he has a little gut (lol) but definitely thicker arms than i had back then. probably mostly fat, but theres more muscle too. so should i help him cut down fats? any foods he should go on? maybe a lot of milk?

thanks for any advice, or website links.

SevenStar
10-04-2001, 03:59 AM
I started lifting when I was 13. It was not heavy lifting - high reps, many sets, whole body. I did this twice a week. Pushups and other bodyweight exercises should be fine for him. As far as eating is concerned, just keep him eating healthy. At his age, I wouldn't get all picky with his diet.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

ShaolinTiger00
10-04-2001, 03:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with your lil' bro working out with weights at that age. I started at 12 as well. (7th grade -jr. high.)

Also I think the weight training may make him feel and look better if he is shy or uncomfortable about being "husky" -I had the same thing going on at that time and by 9th grade the baby fat dropped off and I was much stronger than most people in my school. (my coach was amazingly supportive and buit a great program for me.)

Diet. start with small things. explain to him that he needs lean protein to pack on muscles after working out. Explain that simple sugars such as soda, candy, junk will never make him look like a "Mr. Olympia" physique. It may inspire him, maybe it doesn't. Either way you'll plant a seed in his brain and he will know that there is a healthy way to eat.

Best of Luck!

ged
10-05-2001, 01:54 AM
thanks. planting the seed is a good idea - ive kind of done that with working out and kung fu, but i hadnt considered it with diet.

so it wont stunt his growth? weights is ok? ill start him a few times a week then. maybe pushups for pecs/triceps, a few bicep curls, a shoulder thing, and some leg raises.

thanks once more.

ShaolinTiger00
10-05-2001, 05:30 PM
No it will not stunt his growth! Only VERY strenuous power lifting could have any detrimental effects to a growing body.

Lift smart, be sure to spot him and have fun!

as you mentioned ged, Starting him on barbells is a great idea.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1758022&a=13553065&p=54576353