PDA

View Full Version : is the way i lift alright?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-04-2001, 07:11 PM
i go as heavy as i can for 3 sets of 3

drop some weight 2 sets of 6 - 8

drops some weight 2 sets of 6 - 8

drop to about half the weight from my first set and go 2 sets until exhaustion.

i do two exercises for each body part, two body parts and foreamrs per session.

my goal is mass right now. this leaves me sore for about 3 days so i figure i'm getting the desired effect, but i wanted to see if any of you had any opinions about lifting like this.

where's my beer?

ElPietro
10-04-2001, 07:24 PM
7 sets is too much. If you want do one or two warm-up sets then start with your highest weight and drop weight for the next two sets to keep it within the 6-8 rep range. So 1 or 2 warmups and 3 working sets should be good. You probably aren't making significant gains in your 6th and 7th sets...just overtraining somewhat.

IronFist
10-04-2001, 10:10 PM
My most repeated line on this entire forum:

If you want mass, EAT MORE :) :) :)

(But I'm sure you knew that, I'm just reminding you)

Remember, 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Don't listen to people like Kairo who say you don't need protein to build muscle. Instead, pick up a biology book, and observe that protein and muscle are the same thing :)

As for 7 sets my be a bit too much, but if you insist on doing that much, do it like this, and for compound movements like bench press:

1 set, warm up

2 sets going up

1 set with top weight for that workout

3 coming down sets.

But seriously, that is a lot of sets. If you do this much for bench, don't do any more chest exercises that workout. Try a split like this:

Chest/Tri/front and middle delts together

Back/Bi/forearms

Legs

That's a three day per week workout.

I'm gonna end now before my computer freezes.

Iron

IronFist
10-04-2001, 10:13 PM
****e, i forgot something:

drop to about half the weight from my first set and go 2 sets until exhaustion

You don't need this. The more I learn about weight lifting, the more I realize going to failure is pointless. I mean, it FEELS like you're working hard, but to your body there's not much difference.

For strength, they dont' go to failur

For mass, you don't HAVE to. Lee Priest, for example, never trains to failure. He's one big mofo. Just stop a rep or two before failure.

Size comes from overall muscle fiber usage, not going to failure.

Remember, less rest between sets for size. I would say no more than 1:30 to two minutes between sets if you're going for size.

Iron

IronFist
10-04-2001, 10:20 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/tbm/images/PRIESTperfection

Sorry for such a gay looking picture, but the other one I was looking for wasn't there

Silumkid
10-04-2001, 11:55 PM
Gunned,

I'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but 7 sets is too much. Weight lifting does fall into the law of diminishing returns (more work, less gains) and the curve flattens out at around 5 sets.

Personally, I do not do warm-up sets. I may spend 5 minutes doing a general warm-up to get my blood going but then I drop right in. I will say that I DO always work to positive failure and if I have a spotter, I will go to absolute failure.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Shaolin36
10-05-2001, 12:55 AM
7 sets is a bit too much, maybe cut out 1 or 2 sets, but more importantly is rest and diet. If your breaking down your muscles with that intense of a workout, you will need to sleep 8(at least)-10hrs anight for your muscles to properly repair themselves. Also, you should take in at least 75 grams of carbohydrates after your workout(not right after but wait for your pum to go completely down, this way your blood will not rush to your stomach to begin the digesting process. When you eat your meals, take in 30 grams of protein per sitting(this is all your body can assimilite at one time)The rest would be stored as fat.
I have to disagree with a statement Ironfist made which is less rest inbetween sets for mass-this is incorrect. His time is right at 1min30secs between sets but in theory when your building mass you want to take long rests inbetween sets, sometimes 2mins is ok. Shorter rests are for cuttin up.
Just my 2 cents from years of research and application.

Shaolin

IronFist
10-05-2001, 11:46 AM
I have to disagree with a statement Ironfist made which is less rest inbetween sets for mass-this is incorrect. His time is right at 1min30secs between sets but in theory when your building mass you want to take long rests inbetween sets, sometimes 2mins is ok. Shorter rests are for cuttin up.

Because you are a newbie here, I won't tear you up for this, but what you said about cutting up is entirely wrong. I've gone into this in extensive detail in other posts before, but I'll summarize here.

but in theory when your building mass you want to take long rests inbetween sets,

Absolutely not. For building mass you need to keep the intensity high, so you use shorter rests. Powerlifters who are going for sheer strength above all else take longer rests. A lot of powerlifters are very small... I know of one guy who is 130lbs but can deadlift over 700lbs. There's no mass on him at all. They use long rests between sets, because mass is NOT their primary objective.

Shorter rests are for cuttin up.

Yeah, and doing situps gets rid of stomach fat, right? (Sarcasm). Listen. The amount of rest between sets makes hardly any difference in how many calories you burn per set. "Cuttin up," as you put it, is ENTIRELY a result of body fat, which is a result of diet and cardio. The old school of thought was that higher reps with lighter weight and shorter rests was for losing body fat, but that was disproven long ago, just like they disproved the spot reduction theory as well. The only thing higher reps (10+) does is give you a pump in the gym.

So, in summary:

For mass: less rest, 5-10 reps per set depending on your genetic variance, more sets per exercise, at least 1g protein/lb of body weight, and you must eat enough to ensure a caloric surplus in your body

For strength: more rest between sets (5-10 minutes), 1-5 reps per set (depending), fewer sets per exercise, still eat enough protein, but maintaining a surplus of calories is not as important as gaining mass is not the main goal.

The nature of training for mass causes more muscle fibers to be torn, and therefore, upon consumption of adaquate protein (and other nutrients), they will be repaired grow back BIGGER than before.

On the other hand, training for power and raw strength does not tear the muscles down as much, if at all. The training is more akin to training the nervous system to be used to bearing heavier loads, and training the muscles to contract harder. In fact, since the muscle is not being torn down (by more reps and less rest in a mass workout), there is generally less soreness the next day, resulting in the ability to train big lifts like bench or squat for 5 consecutive days in a row. Try doing bench 5 days a row with a mass routine and see how overtrained and messed up you end up :)

Hope that clarifies things.

Iron

Lost_Disciple
10-05-2001, 11:24 PM
I agree with just about everything else u said IronFist, just I think an argument could be made for shorter rests (under a minute) keeping your heart rate up longer, and thus having some capacity for burning calories & fat. I know cardio and diet have a much greater influence on fat loss though.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

IronFist
10-06-2001, 12:15 AM
just I think an argument could be made for shorter rests (under a minute) keeping your heart rate up longer, and thus having some capacity for burning calories & fat.

True, resting less than a minute can be beneficial for gaining mass as well. It's generally up to the individual to find out what works best for them. I would just say, don't wait longer than 1:30-2:00 between sets if you're going for mass. I wrote that last night when I was sleepy though. I'd say 0:45-1:30 for standard sets would be better. Less if you're doing drop sets or stripping sets or whatever.

Iron

Lost_Disciple
10-06-2001, 12:41 AM
yah, i'm just gonna be working on fat loss, and maintaining strength for a while. increased strength would be nice; but i'm definitely not looking for any mass. I've got a decent idea of what i wanna do when i get out of here; and i'm doing my best with the situation i've got (jogging, calisthenics, and old 'fu forms)- but i'm still not 100% sure i've got the right game plan for losin flab.

SevenStar
10-06-2001, 06:49 AM
How often do you do cardio work? (frequency/duration) also, how is your diet?

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Lost_Disciple
10-06-2001, 07:31 AM
Diet's pretty bad right now; temporarily stayin at home and don't have control over the crud my parents buy.
Cardio wise, I've stepped up the jogging the past few weeks. Tryin to do some kinda cardio a good 30 to 45 minutes a day; every day- but i'm just getting back into it.
When I get outta here things'll change, i just can't catch a d@mn break right now.

BTW-As far as what I plan to do when I get out of here, I listed it on the workout thread. My diet then will probably be mostly MRPs, protein shakes, tuna, and V8 as I plan to be eating on the run a lot. Cardio will be jump rope, forms, and some kinda running everyday- 30 min light jogs during the week & windsprints on the weekend. Oh yah, class a few times a week. Lifting will probably be big movements like squat, deadlift, and clean & press probably done with a balance of building strength & keeping up my heart rate.

Not tryin to take over the thread, maybe we should move this to the workout thread. hehe

[This message was edited by Lost_Disciple on 10-06-01 at 10:40 PM.]

Aramus
10-08-2001, 12:38 AM
Anyone every hear of doing slow sets? I did them with a friend. Here's how it works. Do a weight you can normally lift around 10 times. If bench pressing let the weight go down for 5-7 seconds. When you start to push up do it SLOWLY. This should take 7-10 seconds. This works with all the sets/exercies you do. However, you probably only want to do 1-2 sets of each exercise as this tends to tire you out quickly. We would do this for two weeks and then go back to various types of set weight training (3sets of 10 or 12 with increasing weights etc.).

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were suppose to change your work out routine every few weeks to shock your muscules and help yourself get over any stagnation you may be heading for.

I'm not a power lifter nor am I built for it or have the desire (nor time) to do that. This is just some ideas I've come across. My friend had some got results, yours may vary.

Good luck. Hope this helps a little. :D :confused:

Shaolin36
10-08-2001, 01:04 AM
Iron,
I will put your philosiphy to the test. I have used my formula for 6 years and went from 160LBS to 205LBS in about 3 of those years using mine. NOt to be boisterous, just to let you know that this was not an overnight theory. I am eager to try your theory though to see if it yields better results. Is there any literature I can read that has these principals stated.
Let me know,
Thanks,

Shaolin

"A man who thinks he knows it all, leaves no room for improvement"

IronFist
10-08-2001, 10:35 AM
Which piece of info did you need more info about?

As for longer rests being used for powerlifters, you can find info on that just about anywhere. The westside barbell guys. Pavel Tsatsouline. Zatsiorsky.

About diet being the key element in getting "cut," I can't hink of any off the top of my head, by I assure you the guys at www.anabolicextreme.com (http://www.anabolicextreme.com) could point you in the right direction. There may even be some articles over there as well.

What else did you want specifics on?

Keep in mind, the methods I listed are just what I believe to be the optimal paths for achieving those goals. Obviously, you will see results if you are lifting weights, you just might not be seeing as good of results as your genetic potential would allow under different training conditions.

But, as for the higher reps for cutting up, there is absolutely no research that supports this theory, with the exception of 1950's rumors :) You still see fat people doing 1000's of situps to no avail.

Iron

Shaolin36
10-08-2001, 05:57 PM
OK Ironfist,
You seem to be very well versed in weightlifting. Heres a problem I cant seem to solve with my training. Any input is of course, welcome.

4 nights a week I go from work to the gym for an hour, now trying Ironfists low rep, little rest between sets work out. I eat 4 times before the gym(small meals) and 1 very small snack before training. After the gym I get about a 25-30 min rest in my car before training for 2 hours. Training is very cardio oriented, Im basically dripping sweat the whole way through.

My problem is I have lost 25lbs of muscle since I started kung fu. Its hard to eat anything big after the gym like I should coz then Im too full to train. I know that 2 hours of training puts my muscles in a breaking down mode because I do not feed them correctly after the gym. Also during training and sparring my heartrate is way above target which means IUm either burning fat or muscle or both.

My feeling is that I need to eat more after the gym in order to put weight on. Can you see any way top tweek what I am currently doing in order to promote weight gain. I think Ive heard it all being in the weight game for along time, but am open to any new ideas.

Thanks,

Shaolin

IronFist
10-09-2001, 03:29 AM
now trying Ironfists low rep, little rest between sets work out.

I never said mix low reps with little rest :) If I did say that it was a typo. Litte rest goes with 8-12 reps for 4-6 sets, and that's for mass. The Low reps thing is with huge weights and long rests. You can't optimize mass andstrength in the same workout cycle. With mass, you will gain strength, but if you do a purely strength workout you won't gain mass but you'll get stronger than you would otherwise.

Training is very cardio oriented, Im basically dripping sweat the whole way through.
-and-
My problem is I have lost 25lbs of muscle since I started kung fu.

This is as it should be. Weight is lost when calories are burned. Kung Fu is vey aerobic. Obviously, by burning the amount of calories that you are burning by practicing kung fu, you are going to lose weight. There is a saying in bodybuilding: "Don't run when you can walk, don't walk when you can stand, don't stand when you can sit, and if you can sit you might as well take a nap," meaning that by burning the LEAST calories possible you will gain the MOST size possible.

Its hard to eat anything big after the gym like I should coz then Im too full to train.

Huh? You mean if you eat after a weightlifting session you are too full to train kung fu, right? Why not eat after kung fu? You don't sound like you're leaving much time between the gym (weights) and kung fu trianing. Perhaps do them on alternate days?

I know that 2 hours of training puts my muscles in a breaking down mode because I do not feed them correctly after the gym.

Dude you gotta eat after you work out. Protein is your friend. 1g per pound of bodyweight, per day.

My feeling is that I need to eat more after the gym in order to put weight on.

Not just after the gym, but always.

Can you see any way top tweek what I am currently doing in order to promote weight gain.

I don't know how often you train, and how often you lift, but you might want to alternate them. That would give you more time to eat, and not feel too rushed and full after a meal. If you don't have that much time to eat, try more calorie rich meals (ie. pizza instead of grilled chicken breast).

Weight training for mass and kung fu are hard to combine. First, training for mass leaves one sore, which doesn't lend itself well to kung fu training. Second, training for mass requires a surplus of calories in the body, while kung fu promotes weight loss.

Bodybuilding is kind of a lifestyle. And success to some extent is dependant upon genetics. For some people, they can eat like crap and still put on a ton of size. For others, they can eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain a pound. While it's possible to add muscle to anyone's frame, the amount that can be added without making some hardcore lifestyle changes might not be that much. Don't forget, that mass beyond a point will affect your health. Pro bodybuilders are some of the most unhealthy people in the world; many of them can barely walk across the stage without wheezing and running out of breath. Additionally, it takes a certain kind of drive to force feed yourself the amount of food required each day to make your caloric goals.

I think you may need to reevaluate your goals... honestly, unless you're a genetic freak, you're not going to be able to carry a ton of muscle and still actively perform kung fu. I mean, you can still build muscle and look good for the ladies, but you're not going to be a Ronnie Coleman who does 2 hours of kung fu per day :)

One more diet note I forgot above. Unless you're on drugs, you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, so don't be concerned with "eating healthy" if you're trying to bulk up. There's a reason bodybuilders get fat in the off season; it's because that's the most effecient way to put on as much muscle as possible. Then for a show, they diet off the fat and retain as much muscle as possible.

If you are naturally skinny (ectomorph), any muscle you put on will look good because of you're naturally low body fat. Some ecto's can eat whatever they want and still have a six pack. If you're fatter, then you still may want to watch your fat intake, as you don't want to put on even more fat.

I gotta go study for a test. Hope I helped. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Iron

[This message was edited by IronFist on 10-09-01 at 06:45 PM.]

Shaolin36
10-09-2001, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the elaborate explanation Iron, I heard from you what I have been battling in my head for so long. Do I want to train kung fu and obviously be skinnier or do I want to go back to being (kinda big). Im very torn over this question because I want to excel in both areas. The info you have supplied has given me a better plan for balancing the 2. Im just so used to being one of the bigger guys in the gym and now, this is not true. My choice is obvious-Kung Fu will be my main focus, it is an art and a fighting skill, something you can take to the grave with you. Kung Fu leaks into other aspects of your life that Lights the path to self exploration, it is the light that shows us the way to a more fulfilled life, enlightenment. I wouldnt give it up for the world.

Well, back to negotiating

Thanks again,

Shaolin36

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-09-2001, 09:59 PM
"you will need to sleep 8(at least)-10hrs anight for your muscles to properly repair themselves."

if that's true im screwed . .. .

is it??

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-09-2001, 10:02 PM
man . . it's not uncommon for me to go on 3 - 4 hours three out of five days a week. the other two days i get 5-6.

i do sleep about 8 hours on weekends though.

where's my beer?

Lost_Disciple
10-09-2001, 10:45 PM
Lack of sleep can put u in a catabolic state. Catabolic state can equate to a loss of muscle and/or an increase in body fat.

Shaolin36
What kind of nutrition are you getting in between weights and kung fu?
I think you'd be okay if you downed an MRP in between, if you could afford one. If you kept your protein, and calories up, you probably wouldn't lose too much of the muscle you got. While maintaining class, with it's super aerobic calisthenics & such, and trying to gain muscle is not too likely without awesome genetics and a great diet; you may want to switch to privates or something. That way you could hone your art, and build a workout around it that better accomodated your goals. With a more moderate focus on aerobics, you could maintain your endurance and possibly increase size (primarily) & maybe some power.

Nutrition is a big piece of the puzzle though; so you may just want to eat like a fiend when you're not in the gym or at class.

Shaolin36
10-10-2001, 12:56 AM
LD,
My overall nutrition is pretty good, but between weights and Kung Fu I will eat something like a Bagel or a can of Oysters or a protein Bar. I will get a MRP and see how that works out. Its hard to stay in the inbetween spot of getting enough nutrients and digesting quikly enough to train effectively.

Going to privates is very expensive.(ouch)
So I think I will go to eating like a fiend and MRPs to see if those help. Im going full contact next year so I am training for that. Dont want to be too skinny and not too slow. More Chi!!!!!

Thanks for the input.

GDA- Training and weight lifting perfomance has main 3 factors to it.
1. Training
2. Diet
3. Rest
Not in that order-all are equally important.

Shaolin36

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-10-2001, 07:27 PM
were the nubmers given before (8-10) pretty accurate? would 6 be suffcient?

where's my beer?

Shaolin36
10-10-2001, 07:56 PM
GDA,
8-10 Reps? Depends on your goal. What are you trainig for? Mass? Strength? TOne?

BTW- I see you study Wudan Tai Chi- Where is that at and what do you think of that. From what I have read on it (very little) it seems to be an art practice in quiet isolated area and is an internal art. Can you educate any further?

Shaolin36
Fan Tou Rui

2 wrongs dont make a right, but three lefts do!

Lost_Disciple
10-10-2001, 10:28 PM
GDA
I saw a study once that said anything less than 8 or 9 was sleep deficient, but if u slept for 10 hours 1 night, you could get back into the green. So if you're gonna be sleeping 3 to 4 hours a night most of the week, u might just want to take 1 night to sleep 10- so you don't carry any sleep deficiency into the next week. However the rest of the week, when you're not sleeping 8 or 9 hours, u will be under-rested (catabolic) for those particular days.

In answer to your question: yes, 8 to 10 hours is a valid range for staying well rested.

On a side note my old sigung told me he could never sleep longer than 6 hours at one time, his whole life, and i don't think it bothered him any.

Shaolin36
10-10-2001, 10:44 PM
Questions- How does eating your food fast(inhaling) affect a person?
How does eating your food slow affect a person?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 12:01 AM
shaolin . . . i actually meant 8-10 hours of sleep.

i know absolutely nothing of wudang's history (or the history of any art for that matter) as it's never been of much interest to me.

i'm also not going to be the best source of info on the practice of wudang as we just recently started really getting into it, but i'll educate where i can. i just started working on this about 3 months ago so the best im going to be able to do is to outline how i have been training and answer any specific questions you have to the best of my knowledge.

i have been there a little over a year and a half and the first 8 months or so were focused mainly around boxing/muithai strikes, other basic strikes, and blocks. i think this was to teach you to really land a good solid hit. after that we started working allot of basic footwork, some work on angles, slightly more advanced punches/kicks, and a couple months later we started working on flow. at this point he started to really harp on us about staying relaxed and rooting. the time frames aren't 100% accurate i'm sure but that's the jist of how he led us into the internal work.

now i am doing a couple different breathing exercises, (i'm supposed to be doing)daily meditation, and we do the internal work in class on thursdays. i'm not doing anything very advanced right now, just working on what he calls shooting the void and finding the move within the move. basically its allot of work on rooting, flowing, rooting, and then completely clearing your mind and discovering what your body (and eventually your spirit) is telling you to do from that position. he says not to worry about combat when we are working on this. just do whatever is natural and over time our natural movements will be refined by the fighting oriented training we do on other nights and by actually clearing your mind and hearing what your body wants to do more and more often. i have only gotten it right a couple times out of the hundreds i have tried but it's truly amazing when you do. it just feels right ... like it would have been ridiculous to do anything else. i'm not doing a great job of describing this in text right now so i hope you get the drift of what im trying to say.

i haven't gotten much into generating power except through the external means of waist rotation and a little bit of settling. i was told by a guy slightly more advanced than me that you have to start really focusing diachien(sp?) and completely relax everything . .. when you strike it's like your power is sucked out of the ground .. through your diachien ... and out of the appendage and into the space beyond your opponent. in this way unnecessary muscular tension is avoided and what needs to be tensed along the line of energy and at the two exact points of impact (the ground kind of being one in my own words along with your target) is done so unconsciously.

it all seems to be a mind set. you focus on taking your opponents space. all the space around you is yours and you claim it through your movements.

well, i'm done rambling now but let me know if you have any specific questions about the art. like i said, i won't be much help on its history but i'll answer you the best i can.

where's my beer?

Shaolin36
10-11-2001, 12:14 AM
GDA,
Oddly enough I do understand you. Sounds very interesting. From what I understand the art of Wudang Tai Chi is getting extinct because it takes a long time to become proficient. What R your thoughts?
Regarding Wudang Training, I have heard that your art uses the sword as a training piece more than an actual weapon.(I heard) It has something to do with using the sword as your point of energy focus and generating through it. Something like that-LOL

Have you heard anything like that.
Also, not to get into specifics, but what city do you practice in?

SevenStar
10-11-2001, 03:14 AM
If you bolt your food down, there is insufficient time for certain starches to be digested, and the first stage of starch digestion is missed. Second, and this is very important to realize, is that your teeth are your most important organs of digestion. They cut and grind the food, so that it can later come into contact with digestive enzymes in the stomach and small intestine. If you eat fast you end up swallowing food which is not thoroughly cut and ground. Some of this food will pass straight through you without contacting the appropriate digestive enzymes. The nutritional value of this food is wasted. You are left hungry, eating more than you really need and putting an additional burden on the digestive tract, not to mention your waistline.

SevenStar
10-11-2001, 03:16 AM
Shaolin36, Is there any way you can alternate the nights you lift and the nights you are in kung fu? That might help your problem a little.

Shaolin36
10-11-2001, 05:32 PM
Sevenstar,
Thanks for the explanation.Excellent

Yes, I am going to reconfigure my schedule so I lift on the nights I dont train Kung Fu, from what I have gathered I will be able to fuel my body better after a workout and not go lose it all at the Temple during training.
I was beginging to wonder if eating fast effected the wasteline. You just confirmed my suspicions, thanks,

Shaolin36
Fan Tou Rui

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 07:33 PM
my sifu says the same thing i have heard allot of others say.

training your kungfu 15 mintues EVERY day is far better than 2 hours a couple times a week.

maybe you could train for just a little while (no more than a half hour and go easy so that your aren't fu cking stuff up with your lifting)everyday and then dedicate a day or two where you go hardcore if you still feel its needed.

where's my beer?

Shaolin36
10-11-2001, 07:54 PM
GDA,
Did your sifu explain why this is better than doing 2 hours a couple times a week.

Common Sense tells me its because the wear and tear factor on the body. What do you think.

Shaolin
Fan Tou Rui

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 08:32 PM
it does take a very long time to get good at. i think that's why he has us do all the other training before we even start. so that we at least have a little bit of a combat base to work with before starting the internal work. most of his students didn't get their first dragon level in under 10 years. you are given this rank once you have actually started to internalize the art (i'm not yet qualified to say what all that entails), show the ability to spontaneously create your own effective movements from a single concept, and (not necessarily the desire but) the ability to pass on what you know at least to some degree. infact, i think there was only one guy who managed to achieve this in under 10 years.

i practice in ohio about 45 minutes from pittsburgh privately from his house. he had a chain of schools about 10 years back but eventually decided that he had to either water down the art so that people would stay or train a handful of students from home who would actually take it seriously. he gave the decision to the couple dragons he had at the time and then shut down all of his schools and got another job.

i'm not sure about the sword thing. it's definitely not a major focus of training at our school, but that could be a change that he has made since we also study pukalan and jujitsu. we don't do allot of weapons work at all, but i have heard him say something very similar about focusing your energy through the sword or staff and making it become part of your body the few times we have worked with them. if i understand your question right it's not really a unique concept to wudang. it's just the idea of throwing a strike with your weapon the same way you would with your hand. completely relaxed, with the energy flowing through your center, and with the only points of tension being the points of impact. so if i understand correctly (again my work with weapons is very limited) you are basically tensing the tip of the staff, by focusing your energy to that point like you said, which is a mindset that is currently beyond me. i'm not sure if most schools work weapons like this, but i'd bet that it's a concept in most internal schools that train weapons. he's pretty **** good with the staff but i haven't seen him do much swords work to say for sure. we don't get to work weapons much as our time with him is limited due to the fact that he has a full time job as well. us newbie's only get to go twice a week, but the dragons come by to train on the weekends as well. he tried opening up saturdays for us too but had class at 8 in the friggen morning. hardly anyone showed up so he changed it back to just tuesdays and thursdays.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 09:12 PM
he says that daily practice at any skill will ingrain it far better than dedicating more total time to it in spaced out intervals. it's how you really start to make the art a part of you so that eventually it's just like walking and then you can learn to run.

he also said that 2 hours of daily practice isn't anywhere near as good as 15 minutes of daily focused/perfect practice. like others have said on here, you can throw 1000 punches or 10 perfect punches and your going to be much better off for the latter.

he doesn't say to limit your training to 15 minutes, but to train as long as you can stay completely focused on what you are doing. if you can keep all the rest of your life out of your head for a half hour or longer than tht's great, but once your mind starts wondering you are wasting your time (or at least the rest of your training will only benifit you physically ... it will give your kung fu almost no benifit at best).

it's also not a cario thing the way we train . . which may be different from what you do. when working on our kung fu we do the techniques very slowly and try to feel every single inch of our body while going through the movement with total intent. in this way you are learning what your entire body needs to do through the strike, step, etc. we do allot of pad work and what not too, but he considers it 90% physical and seperate from actually training. there was a topic titled "speed" on the main forum a couple weeks ago about this type of training.

i heard someone else on here say that training kung fu isn't like lifting or working out. you cant train double on tuesday for missing monday. it doesn't work like that. you cant make up yesterday so you are always going to be a day worse than you could have been.

where's my beer?

Shaolin36
10-11-2001, 10:59 PM
That all seems logical to me. I do notice that as the latter part of the week approaches I am tired from training/lifting and I will start to get sloppy- and as you said it turns more into a physical workout. I also observe some people that always come late and train more like an hour of the 2(maybe they have this theory in mind)

We do alot of pad work and conditioning as well. Thats good that someone brought that to the forefront for me. I do need to slow down a bit during training. I notice that through every rep I am trying to kill someone(per se) Taking it slow seems more technique oriented. I will incorporate that into my training. There nothing like noticing your growth through training. Its kinda crazy cause my sifu wants me to train harder and harder for next years tourneys.
I will keep you posted. Thanks for the insight.

Shaolin
Fan Tou Rui