PDA

View Full Version : How does your kung fu prepare you for being dazed?

MasterKiller
09-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Do you react like this squirrel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FGn-etblqBw

Then train harder!

Lucas
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I like how his friend bolted at the first sign of trouble, then snuck back to see what was up after it seemed safe.

MasterKiller
09-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Respect his Iron Head skills.

GeneChing
09-20-2012, 03:18 PM
I practice Shaolin zuiquan (https://www.tigerclaw.com/blog/2011/05/kids-vs-drunken-style/). I'm totally serious.

...or maybe just a little dazed....

Bacon
09-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Kung fu does not... That's what sparring is for.

Sima Rong
09-20-2012, 09:19 PM
You have to train realistically.
Instead of blocking, parrying, or avoiding, the techniques of a good striker, allow them to hit you as hard as they can with repeated punches or kicks. Assuming you are not unconscious, dead, and still have the use of most of your limbs, you will then hear morale-boosting theme music, the extent of your training will magically present itself, and you will overcome your opponent.

taai gihk yahn
09-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Instead of blocking, parrying, or avoiding, the techniques of a good striker, allow them to hit you as hard as they can with repeated punches or kicks. Assuming you are not unconscious, dead, and still have the use of most of your limbs, you will then hear morale-boosting theme music, the extent of your training will magically present itself, and you will overcome your opponent.

you invite disaster when u give away the secrets of kung fu in this manner...

Sima Rong
09-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Of course, this method works better if you were also exposed to secret texts. So as a child you have to regularly go on caving expeditions and search for hidden passages in old buildings.

Lucas
09-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Sparring is part of kungfu, just like any other martial art. If you believe otherwise you have had poor training and have been misled. Any school that offers no sparring is not giving you actual combat training. You're in a performance school.

Spar people that are better than you that have more experience and have them not hold back. You will get your share of being clocked.

bawang
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM

in wombat combat™ we carry casette tape of wong fei hong song inside fanny pack. now you can take the initiative and defecate the enemy before he attack you

Sima Rong
09-21-2012, 01:11 PM
in wombat combat™ we carry casette tape of wong fei hong song inside fanny pack. now you can take the initiative and defecate the enemy before he attack you

LOL! Never thought someone would use the 37th strategy.
Wombat combat™, no can defend.

bawang
09-21-2012, 01:24 PM

what style do you teach? is it like toffie? or hooy louis?

Neeros
09-21-2012, 10:09 PM
The ability to stay calm is one off the top of my head.

Sima Rong
09-21-2012, 10:21 PM

I am a beginner, training in Songshan Shaolin. I cannot teach, and do not know these Toffee or Huey Lewis styles of which you speak.

bawang
09-22-2012, 05:00 AM
I am a beginner, training in Songshan Shaolin. I cannot teach, and do not know these Toffee or Huey Lewis styles of which you speak.

what level buddha r u

taai gihk yahn
09-22-2012, 05:20 AM

what level buddha r u

<grabs popcorn, sits back to watch latest episode of "Who Winz T3h Int3rn3tz?!">

Sima Rong
09-22-2012, 04:47 PM
what level buddha r u

I haven't attained any level yet. Skillwise, I'd rank myself as slightly fit and mostly incompetent. Pleased to meet you.

Sima Rong
09-22-2012, 04:49 PM
<grabs popcorn, sits back to watch latest episode of "Who Winz T3h Int3rn3tz?!">

If you are on the internet, where do you eat popcorn?

Bacon
09-22-2012, 11:20 PM
If you are on the internet, where do you eat popcorn?

He just wants to enjoy watching the resident troll-a-holic have a go at you.

Sima Rong
09-23-2012, 12:51 AM

Oh well, I'm just playing. Actually, I think bawang knows a whole lot more about martial arts than I do. :D

To be serious, I'd agree with Lucas that it would be good for someone to expose themselves to situations where they might get a bit dazed in training, and discipline themselves to train through them and continue without too much pause. Sparring, yes. But I don't think it really needs to be full contact, just so long as you don't stop straightaway after tagging someone with a mild glancing blow to the head.

Bacon
09-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Oh well, I'm just playing. Actually, I think bawang knows a whole lot more about martial arts than I do. :D

To be serious, I'd agree with Lucas that it would be good for someone to expose themselves to situations where they might get a bit dazed in training, and discipline themselves to train through them and continue without too much pause. Sparring, yes. But I don't think it really needs to be full contact, just so long as you don't stop straightaway after tagging someone with a mild glancing blow to the head.

Full contact is for competition. Medium contact is for pressure testing and practicing things you know. Light contact is for getting the hang of new stuff or when you're pretty beat up from training, fighting, lifting, etc. and just can't take heavier.

taai gihk yahn
09-23-2012, 05:13 AM
<jumps up, spills popcorn bag>
oy! hey you! this guy is potentially one of the more adept folks to go toe-to-toe w bawang in recent months - don't muck up the fun!
<goes on all fours, starts eating popcorn off the floor>

Bacon
09-23-2012, 08:45 AM
<jumps up, spills popcorn bag>
oy! hey you! this guy is potentially one of the more adept folks to go toe-to-toe w bawang in recent months - don't muck up the fun!
<goes on all fours, starts eating popcorn off the floor>

Only if you have a second lawn chair and popcorn to share! Otherwise let the mucking begin!

bawang
09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Only if you have a second lawn chair and popcorn to share! Otherwise let the mucking begin!

i dont understand.

Syn7
09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I let a partner hit me in the dome with a bat then I run through a japanese game show like maze.

Lucas
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
i let a partner hit me in the dome with a bat then i run through a japanese game show like maze.

wwwiiiiinnnn!!!

Sima Rong
09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I let a partner hit me in the dome with a bat then I run through a japanese game show like maze.

Maybe you would be wearing this costume:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/squirrel+costume+japanese+/HellBentJE/Japanese%20Goodness/Squirrelcostumewithbignuts.jpg

Lucas
09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
LOL!! I would definately pay to see that!

Syn7
09-24-2012, 04:35 PM
lol.... love the nutsack option.

Squirrels can be vicious lil b@stards. Ever heard them growl? One ran behind my dryer once, backed himself into a corner then just freaked right out. Nasty lil guy.

I've seen people do the same chicken dance after being hit in the upper neck. Scary sh1t right there. Stiff but shaky. Awake but not aware. Convulsions. Accidents suck.

That squirrel must've had one nasty headache.

GeneChing
09-24-2012, 04:39 PM
ixnay on the quirrelsay (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4619), okay?

wenshu
09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Later that day. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Jdm6Fb65K0E

Sima Rong
09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
wow! That's hardcore!

Syn7
09-25-2012, 04:14 PM
vicious lil b@stards

ixnay on the quirrelsay (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4619), okay?

You gotta love it when the site admin quotes your efforts to break language rules.

OK so clearly the squirrel guys first language is NOT english. I think he may actually be insane. That was ages ago, wonder what happened to squirrel fu???

Syn7
09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Find one of an angry vicious squirrel. I don't have time to sift thru youtube, but if you have the time it will be worth the watch. They are CRAZY! Smart too. You should see the lengths some people go to keep them away from bird feeders. They are like lil commando paratrooper motherfukcers!!!! Their mobility is nothing short of impressive....!!!