PDA

View Full Version : techniques to train chi sao

CrushingFist
10-07-2001, 09:24 AM
What type of techniques are good for training ones grabbing? Im talking about intercepting and grabbing punches, and developing more speed and what not...the only two i know of are A) grabbing absolutely nothing...so shadow boxing i guess, and B) using a partner to do the same punches over and over and practicing grabbing them, slowly increasing speed, does anyone else have any that would work on increasing speed of the arms and body to intercept a punch?

Ish
10-07-2001, 01:23 PM
I would advise you not to try and grab a punch thats comming towards you. The chances are you'll miss it and get hit

CrushingFist
10-07-2001, 11:41 PM
i didn't mean grabbing out of the air, usually grabbing is done by intercepting the fist first, through a softtechnique, much like taiji grabs the arm and rolls it down which can break it....
it is the same idea,
and im looking for ways to help that training.

Scarletmantis
10-08-2001, 01:05 AM
Ever heard of Northern Mantis? We pluck fists out of the air all the time. Granted, we like to sidestep and deflect the punch first, often preempting the opponent's strike altogether. Ba Gua and Hsing I both do this ocassionaly as well.

The best way to perfect your sticky hands practice is to drill your sticky hands constantly. Chi Sao is meant to train your sensitivity, coordination, timing, and reflexes in response to a resisting opponent. You can't effectively train those things without a training partner, because you need something "random" to sense.

If Chi Sao is not a regular part of your class, I would arrange to meet after class with some of my fellow students. Train your Chi Sao as often as you can, and you will improve. ;)

"Master, here is a stick. Please beat me for my insolence." - KC Elbows

CrushingFist
10-08-2001, 05:34 AM
we already do train it in class, i want to train MORE, MORE MORE MORE! MORE METHODS, i want to improve as much as possible, anything to help grabbing speed or power? i've heard some people throwing sandbags up and grabbing as it comes down? how is that done? does anyone know?

ElPietro
10-10-2001, 09:14 PM
Hmmm...wouldn't trying to grab fists in full speed be dangerous? It would be fairly easy to break/sprain a thumb or finger by being off a tenth of an inch, or it could get caught in the persons clothing also. I always make the subconscious mistake of having my hand slightly open, on which my instructor constantly is warning me against. You can just hook your fist and use your wrist/forearm area to control your opponent. Once you have them under control you can grab at them but grabbing while a fist is in full flight seems like it would lead to many injuries. Those are just my thoughts...

CrushingFist
10-11-2001, 09:25 PM
welll i cannot speak for other ppl, but the philosophy that i have learne dis not to pluck it out of air but to rather, intercept them at the forarm with your forearm, and slide back, turning the shoulder, so that you will tear the muscle and split it and tear tendons and ligaments running along the top and bottom the arm. as for mantis, or monkey style, which also do some grabbing, i can't speak for them

HuangKaiVun
10-13-2001, 03:12 AM
Do Siu Lum Tao.