PDA

View Full Version : looper

doug maverick
10-03-2012, 03:29 AM
i could have sworn we had a thread on this already. ok well check out the trailer first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI3ju17W070

impressed yet?

well you should be...looper was better then any of the summer blockbuster movies that came out this year..yes that includes the dark knight and the avengers, a script written for the screen not adapted from anywhere...although there are elements of akira, blade runner and some other films sprinkled in. joseph gordon levitt plays joe a looper, a hitman, the year is 2044, 30 years from that time, time travel would have been invented and immediately outlawed..except for ofcourse the mob, the future makes it impossible to dispose of a body so instead they send people to the past to get killed by loopers... only thing is time travel is so illegal in the future the mob doesnt want anyone to know about it. so they find the loopers in the future and then send them back in the past to be killed by themselves, they call it closing the loop. and when thats done the person gets a paid out, and his contract is closed...knowing that he has 30 years left to live.

ok now that ive filled you lets talk about the movie....this movie had energy throughout the whole film all i kept saying to myself was this is a **** good movie. why wasnt this released over the summer, and then it hit me...it would have been crushed, by all the superhero and other ******* movies that came out. the only thing that didnt work for me in this movie was the end. this is a light review when people have seen it more ill have a more spoiler heavy one, as there are alot of moments in this film that just blew me away. go see it!

Bacon
10-03-2012, 08:26 AM
:eek:....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

SOOOOOOO stoked for this! Thank you for showing me this!

GeneChing
10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Looper back on space-time continuum (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/looper-back-on-space-time-continuum)
By Stephen Cremin
Thu, 27 September 2012, 17:40 PM (HKT)
Distribution News

Looper 環形使者 (pictured) — starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis — opens in China at midnight tonight, following weeks of uncertainty over its Mainland release date.

The time-travel film had months ago been announced as opening on 28 September, during China's National Day holidays, one of the year's most lucrative box office periods, which in recent years has been reserved for local productions only.

Looper was to compete with Huayi Brothers Media Corporation 華誼兄弟傳媒股份有限公司's Tai Chi Zero 太極1 從零開始, Enlight Media Group 北京光線傳媒有限公司's The Assassins 銅雀台, Zonbo Media 北京中博世紀影視傳媒有限公司's Dangerous Liaisons 危險關係 and Laurel Films 北京勞雷影業有限公司' Double Xposure 二次曝光.

Two weeks ago, a State Administration of Radio, Film & Television (SARFT) 國家廣播電影電視總局 official told state media that Looper had been postponed due to its "uncertain cooperation identity", referring to its status as an official co-production.

Looper is co-financed by China's DMG Entertainment DMG娛樂傳媒集團 which has also backed Iron Man 3 鋼鐵俠3. The superhero film is facing its own difficulties securing co-production status and permission to shoot in China.

While a portion of Looper was shot in Shanghai, these scenes are reported to have been excised from the international version of the film which premiered as the opening film of the Toronto International Film Festival last month.

When local cinemas began advertising a new release date of 11 Oct, Looper's fate seemed to have been determined. Nevertheless, large posters promoting the film began to appear upon Beijing bus stops with no listed release date.

News of Looper's imminent release only emerged yesterday.

SARFT has recently decided to enforce current co-production regulations more strictly causing a panic within the Hong Kong film industry. Two weeks ago today, 30 Hong Kong film-makers flew into Beijing for an emergency meeting with SARFT. Were the Shanghai scenes in the U.S. version, Doug?

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2012, 10:46 AM
i could have sworn we had a thread on this already. ok well check out the trailer first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI3ju17W070

impressed yet?

well you should be...looper was better then any of the summer blockbuster movies that came out this year..yes that includes the dark knight and the avengers, a script written for the screen not adapted from anywhere...although there are elements of akira, blade runner and some other films sprinkled in. joseph gordon levitt plays joe a looper, a hitman, the year is 2044, 30 years from that time, time travel would have been invented and immediately outlawed..except for ofcourse the mob, the future makes it impossible to dispose of a body so instead they send people to the past to get killed by loopers... only thing is time travel is so illegal in the future the mob doesnt want anyone to know about it. so they find the loopers in the future and then send them back in the past to be killed by themselves, they call it closing the loop. and when thats done the person gets a paid out, and his contract is closed...knowing that he has 30 years left to live.

ok now that ive filled you lets talk about the movie....this movie had energy throughout the whole film all i kept saying to myself was this is a **** good movie. why wasnt this released over the summer, and then it hit me...it would have been crushed, by all the superhero and other ******* movies that came out. the only thing that didnt work for me in this movie was the end. this is a light review when people have seen it more ill have a more spoiler heavy one, as there are alot of moments in this film that just blew me away. go see it!

I don't like time travel movies ever since "the time machine" ruined them all for me by explaining why the past can never be undone !
:mad:
I will see this one because though whole premiss sounds awesome.

BUT, Thor would so kill any puny human assassin !

Lucas
10-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I never saw that movie. Why can't the past be undone?

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I never saw that movie. Why can't the past be undone?

Because the very reason why you go into the past is why you go and if you undue it, it means you have no reason to go, so you never go.

Lucas
10-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Oh snap, but then if you never go, it ends up happening so you go. So then does it become a loop in its own space/time reality?

Featherstone
10-03-2012, 12:58 PM
it's a whole mess of timey whimey wibbly wobbly stuff, oh and supposed fixed points in time and......

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh snap, but then if you never go, it ends up happening so you go. So then does it become a loop in its own space/time reality?

Yep.
In the movie the hero goes back over and over to try to save his fiancee and she always ends up dying, in different ways mind you, but always dead that same day.
He goes to the future in hopes to find someone to explain why he can't change the past and that is the answer he is given.
His going into the future is cool because he stands still while time, literally passes him by.

doug maverick
10-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Were the Shanghai scenes in the U.S. version, Doug?

yes and they looked stunning went to shanghai a few years back, for the worlds fair and i really like that city, it reminds me of blade runner. those scenes were done so well, and they were shot with no dialogue, and the chinese actress who played bruce willis's wife was amazing.

as for the passed becoming undone..remember everything is math...math is the universal language. so if you create another outcome it becomes a tangent from the line, so you just created a whole nother time space. thats why star trek had the prime directive lol.

Bacon
10-03-2012, 10:21 PM
yes and they looked stunning went to shanghai a few years back, for the worlds fair and i really like that city, it reminds me of blade runner. those scenes were done so well, and they were shot with no dialogue, and the chinese actress who played bruce willis's wife was amazing.

as for the passed becoming undone..remember everything is math...math is the universal language. so if you create another outcome it becomes a tangent from the line, so you just created a whole nother time space. thats why star trek had the prime directive lol.

That would be the Temporal Prime Directive. The Prime Directive is no interference in the development of pre-warp civilizations.
[/geek out]