PDA

View Full Version : Cold water

SevenStar
10-12-2001, 05:30 PM
What's all this talk about cold water, dousing, etc? I haven't really heard much about it until recently, but several people on KFO seem familiar with it.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

yenhoi
10-14-2001, 01:42 AM
there are several threads on KFO from months ago about cold water dousing.

dump water that is cold enough to affect your breathing, you are then supposeto control your breath and keep it 'normal', all while in a medatative state.

not sure exactly what the benefits are, i do it at the end of each shower.

strike!

Stranger
10-14-2001, 03:49 AM
I have a daily cold water dousing routine. Many cultures embrace the practice and numerous health benefits have been associated with it. Are there any questions in particular you want answered? I'll try to dig up some online info for you as well.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Repulsive Monkey
10-14-2001, 01:41 PM
It's not a good practice for everyone, especially if your Jing is weak. If your Jing is weak constitutionally or you have Lung deficiencies you can weaken your Wei Qi by constantly dowsing yourself with cold wet water. This then can make you prone to colds,flus and chills.

Stranger
10-14-2001, 06:30 PM
check out this article (http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/cold.html)

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-14-2001, 07:45 PM
i have been doing that occasionally ever since we lost hot water in our bathroom for a couple days due to problems with the water heater.

it was mid winter and i really didn't have a choice but to take freezing cold showers if i wanted to shower at all.

i got used to it after the second day and felt great after getting out of the shower.

i think i'll do it all the time now.

where's my beer?

shaolinboxer
10-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Do a search..keyword "misogi".

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

Jaguar Wong
10-15-2001, 12:57 AM
"you can weaken your Wei Qi by constantly dowsing yourself with cold wet water"

hmm, I don't want to risk that. How about if I use cold DRY water? :p ;) :p

Is this cold water stuff good for the body (like the muscles, or perhaps the organs), or the mind/spirit (focus, mental acuity...)? It sounds interesting, but I don't like the cold.....I live in Vegas y'know. 120 degree summers suck, but freezing cold showers suck even worse :)

Jaguar Wong

Stranger
10-15-2001, 05:16 AM
JW,

Like all things, you get used to it (very quickly).

The benefits are both physical and psychological.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

SevenStar
10-17-2001, 08:49 AM
I've been doing this for years, and didn't even know it could be healthy. When I was in Jr. High, I was trying to get my body tempered to everything, like my own iron body type program or something. This included lifting weights, hitting myself with things and making the shower as hot as I could stand it, keeping that setting for a few minutes, then turning the cold water all the way on. It was supposed to get my body used to extremes in temperature (Hey, i was only 13 or so, gimme a break :) ) I still do that in the shower today, but now I do it out of habit, and because I like extreamely hot showers.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair