PDA

View Full Version : Documentary: Ancient Aliens Debunked

ghostexorcist
10-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I know people on here have spoken of (and even ridiculed) the History Channel show Ancient Aliens in the past. I recently watched a lengthy documentary that debunks many of the major claims put forward by the show. The filmmaker's religious bias shows through in the last 10 minutes of the movie, but this is the only flaw that sticks out. I highly recommend this to lovers of history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/6696/28066093.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't think anyone here takes that show seriously.

David Jamieson
10-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a hard time taking the History channel seriously. lol They have some seriously crappy and stupid shows on there that have sweet F all to do with any sort of history.

The learning channel is another one that has burnt me out with it's crap shows and stupid programming.

Come to think of it, I hardly watch TV anymore and there are more channels than ever! I think if they add another 50 channels, I'll be broken of that habit altogether!

ghostexorcist
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Based on past comments, I didn't think they did either. The documentary is still a good watch for those interested in the cultures they speak of on the show.

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I have a hard time taking the History channel seriously. lol They have some seriously crappy and stupid shows on there that have sweet F all to do with any sort of history.

The learning channel is another one that has burnt me out with it's crap shows and stupid programming.

Come to think of it, I hardly watch TV anymore and there are more channels than ever! I think if they add another 50 channels, I'll be broken of that habit altogether!

Here, here !
I still watch National Geo sometimes, but I end up taking most of there stuff that is not animal related with a grain of sal;t and anything that smells "wackY" I fact check.
I can't tell you how many times I have caught mistakes about MA or the samurai or ninja, or shaolin on their shows and when I started see that I thought, "what else are they ****ing up?", so I started to fact check and **** !!
Sucks that you can't take what is suppose to be an educational program at face value.

ghostexorcist
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't watch the history or learning channels anymore, either. They actually made fun of how far these channels have fallen on South Park the other night.

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't watch the history or learning channels anymore, either. They actually made fun of how far these channels have fallen on South Park the other night.

Ratings dude.
Conspiracies and controversy sells, regardless of facts and substance.
Dan Brown anyone?
Just the way things are.
The more controversial, the more press, the more press, the more viewers, the more viewers the more advertisers, the more advertisers, the more $$$

MightyB
10-09-2012, 11:18 AM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Lee Chiang Po
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Well, they do sometimes stir up ones imagination as to How the Hell did they do that. This world is old, and human history is quite short. On the other hand, I do suspect that human history is way much longer than believed. Humans can possibly have gone through several rise and falls and what we see now is what might have been left by an ancient but highly technelogical civilization. We are way too far from any possibility of space travel between planets, and we get even ****her every day.

Scott R. Brown
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
My favorite shows are SpongeBob and Kung Fu Panda.

I never thought they could top Bugs Bunny until SpongeBob and I never thought they could top SpongeBob until Kung Fu Panda!

Syn7
10-09-2012, 05:24 PM
IF there were ancient aliens they would have left something behind, anything.

If there is anything from so long ago, it could be pretty deep now. But you would think we would have stumbled onto something.

Panspermia is totally possible, but an intentional seeding? It doesn't look good at this point.

The alien shows are just entertainment and have very little credibility when looked at objectively with all the info their bias left out.

What really ****es me off is psychics and mediums. I saw that long island medium show the other day. That sh1t is absolutely criminal. I think some believe it's okay because they make people feel better. But it's fraud and it's wrong.
There was a show on awhile ago with Kris Angel and Uri Gellar judging illusionists. Angel went off on this one guy because he pretends it's all real and I totally agree, it's all bullsh1t and they need to be dealt with. Why is it okay to do this fraud but not others?

I can do a cold reading and blow people away because they WANT to believe. Like this Long Island chica, it's so obvious. Probe, validate, validate, validate, probe, validate etc etc. Add some advanced knowledge she pretends to not have and she can make people believe. But only the ones who want to believe. I see thru her insecurity complex all day.

MightyB
10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
My favorite shows are SpongeBob and Kung Fu Panda.

I never thought they could top Bugs Bunny until SpongeBob and I never thought they could top SpongeBob until Kung Fu Panda!

Dude - The Regular Show and Adventure Time totally kick SpongeBob and Kung Fu Panda's arse.

SB and KFP were good in their time, but times they have changed and modern cartoons totally kick the crap out of the Old School Traditional Animated Shows.

http://assets.gamezhero.com/games/319/a71/319a7137c522433f/images/160x160.png

SNAP!

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/25400000/-Marceline-Finn-and-Princess-Bubblegum-adventure-time-with-finn-and-jake-25461783-500-414.png

Syn7
10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I like cartoons for adults. Late night toon channel, that's where it's at.
I'll admit there is a bit of the nostalgia factor when talking about old cartoons from my childhood, but it wears off quick if I actually sit and watch them.

MightyB
10-11-2012, 06:07 AM
I like cartoons for adults. Late night toon channel, that's where it's at.
I'll admit there is a bit of the nostalgia factor when talking about old cartoons from my childhood, but it wears off quick if I actually sit and watch them.

You like Modern Mixed Cartoons for Adults because the Traditional Animated Cartoons are no good. ;)

LOL, dude I'm just messing with you - although Adventure Time and The Regular Show are awesome. I still think the golden age of cartoons was during that whole Disney, Warner Bros era when they still did a lot of hand drawn cell cartoons animated on the 2s and 4s. Hanna Barbera came out with limited animation technique and that started the process of decline... except HB still pushed story and character initially, then they pushed quantity. I'd say from the 80s to now, cartoons are mostly garbage. Especially the mass produced limited animation stuff from Asia.

ghostexorcist
10-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Has anyone watched the documentary yet? I've run across some ancient alien believers on other forums who have ****ed it without even watching it. Sad, really.

Drake
10-11-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm lazy... anyone find information debunking this?

http://daveearley.hubpages.com/hub/Ancient-Mysteries-Puma-Punku-in-Tiahuanaco

ghostexorcist
10-11-2012, 05:07 PM

The very first portion of the documentary is on Puma Punku.

Drake
10-11-2012, 05:09 PM
The very first portion of the documentary is on Puma Punku.

I told you I'm lazy.

Syn7
10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
I saw enough of one episode to know that I don't trust anything offered by that show. Dunno if what you posted is what I saw, but what I saw was WEAK. Tons of assumptions and some serious cherry picking. I ****ing HATE publication bias. As long as people keep watching this crap the media will keep spewing it out. This kind of disinformation is funny today, but could have serious consequences for the future. Just look at all the dumb lil things people believe that are NOT true but were presented as truth at some point.

Ben Goldacre sums this all up beautifully in his work on publication bias. Yeah, he's centered on the medical industry, but it holds weight across the board.

ghostexorcist
10-11-2012, 05:19 PM
I told you I'm lazy.

Basically, archaeologists know that the site was built using technology readily available to the people of that time, including stone hammers and mixed alloy chisels. The straight lines that the show claims were produced by lasers or diamond tipped saws were actually produced by said chisels. The rock is also not granite like they claim in the show.

Syn7
10-11-2012, 05:24 PM

The natives were just really smart when it came to math and astronomy.

We went thru this with the Egyptians not too long ago. They too were great mathematicians and astronomers. Because of their everchanging sandy landscape they invented surveying. Their calendars are very accurate, even today. But does that mean they had help from aliens because they were just dumb natives from waaay back in the day? That would be naive. It is TOTALLY possible for humans to map some stars that are significant to them and it is very possible that they where able to build according to their beliefs and create star charts on the ground. If they could draw it out on paper, why not build it into the design of an important city? This is admirable, but not amazing.

Keep in mind, it is only a near perfect match when you ignore certain factors. As a whole, not so much. You can see what they were trying to do tho. Pretty admirable considering what it would have taken to do it. also pretty sad when you think of the mass oppression involved in such a massive undertaking with man power.

mickey
10-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Greetings,

Anything with Eric Von Daniken is suspect. If you are hip to physical cues that are displayed when people are lying the show tires quickly. The show "Ancient Aliens" appears to be set up in order to be to be discredited.

Is there extraterrestrial life? Yes.

mickey

Syn7
10-11-2012, 08:42 PM
That writing as careless as von Däniken's, whose principal thesis is that our ancestors were dummies, should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times. But the idea that beings from elsewhere will save us from ourselves is a very dangerous doctrine - akin to that of the quack doctor whose ministrations prevent the patient from seeing a physician competent to help him and perhaps to cure his disease.

—Carl Sagan

I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken.

—Carl Sagan

Dude is a fraud. Maybe not on purpose, maybe he is just that dumb, but either way he is a fraud. A convicted one at that.

http://theufologists.webstarts.com/uploads/a1_Eric_Von_Daniken.jpg

This is what happens when Hypothesis becomes more important than Conclusion. He had an idea and he now cherry picks to prove that idea. Not very different from what Big Pharma does to get their drugs on the market.

mawali
10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
My cultural experience has been whenever Anglo Western peoples see such technological skills in the non Western space (sphere), they always attribute them to aliens. I wonder why? They are so in awe that these 'primitives' have such a knowledge or technology that they assume it cannot have come from that 'primitive space'. It is amusing but interesting!

Syn7
10-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow. Pretty limited experience, huh!

Not trying to be a d1ck, but how are you gonna pigeon hole a whole culture based on a very small percentage? Most academics think these people are insane and full of bias. Nothing has done more to show the ingenuity of man than the scientific method. NOTHING ....... PERIOD!

MightyB
10-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Greetings,

Is there extraterrestrial life? Yes.

mickey

The Drake Equation. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation)

N = R^{\ast} \cdot f_p \cdot n_e \cdot f_{\ell} \cdot f_i \cdot f_c \cdot L

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

and

R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space[5]

David Jamieson
10-12-2012, 06:12 AM
It goes without saying that there is life all throughout our universe.

The question is, is there life that is technologically advanced enough to travel light years to us only to mess around in our skies or crash in our deserts and get covered up by various governments who think the whole population will panic.

utter rot. laughable. And cringe worthy when old men get all cantankerous about it despite not having a shred of evidence they believe and want you to believe to.

That's the part that is ridiculous and indicative of the individuals mind to need validation for their belief. Probably how religion got founded. lol

Syn7
10-12-2012, 06:03 PM
That's the part that is ridiculous and indicative of the individuals mind to need validation for their belief. Probably how religion got founded. lol

...the idea that beings from elsewhere will save us from ourselves is a very dangerous doctrine...
—Carl Sagan

Agreed....!!!